Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Terabyte IFL copy disk (Read 33612 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Terabyte IFL copy disk
Reply #15 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 3:24pm

Quote:
If you don't want to install BIBM, you can use it from bootable media. But for multi-booting, it must be installed.

That's what I would do. In the event that I understand how it is done, I would get the bootfiles for Windows 10 on its own partition, delete the Windows XP partition and finally extend the Windows 10 partition to fill the free space.

However, that's a different subject and maybe I'll be back!

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 3:30pm

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #17 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 3:35pm

Thanks, I'll have a read tomorrow. Now it's time for my saturday evening whisky and a lager!

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 3:37pm

Great priorities!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 5:10pm

I haven't worked with cylinder aligned partitions for years so I did some tests.

In IFL the tick was removed from Align partitions on 1MiB boundaries.
An image of 2048 sector aligned partitions was restored to a blank disk. Align to Target was selected. The restored partitions were cylinder aligned.

In IFL a tick was placed in Align partitions on 1MiB boundaries.
An image of cylinder aligned partitions was restored to a blank disk. Align to Target was selected. The restored partitions were 2048 sector aligned.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #20 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 3:52am

Quote:
I haven't worked with cylinder aligned partitions for years so I did some tests.

Interesting but actually what I expected, "align partitions on 1MiB boundaries" must be ticked when working with SSDs.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 12:22pm

Christer wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 3:52am:
"align partitions on 1MiB boundaries" must be ticked when working with SSDs.

Not really necessary if your source partitions are 2048 sector aligned. New test. In IFL the tick was removed from Align partitions on 1MiB boundaries.
An image of 2048 sector aligned partitions was restored to a blank disk. Align to Target was not selected. The restored partitions were 2048 sector aligned.

I never select Align to Target as all my partitions are 2048 sector aligned. (1 MiB aligned)
Align to Target – This option only applies to full drive copies (or to full drive restores). If you select this option, Image for Windows/Linux will force alignment to the target drive regardless of the alignment used on the source drive. For example, if the Align Partitions on 1MiB Boundaries global option is enabled the restored drive will be aligned on 1MiB boundaries. If this option is not selected, the alignment used on the target drive will be determined automatically based on the source drive.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 12:22pm

I have a tick in Align partitions on 1MiB boundaries (leftover from Cylinder Aligned days) but if I removed the tick it wouldn't matter because my target partitions (restored partitions) would still be 2048 sector aligned. The same as source.

To check partition alignment, divide the start LBA by 2048. The result should be an integer.
If you have a 4k native drive (not emulated) then there are 256 sectors in 1MiB. So to check partition alignment, divide the start LBA by 256. The result should be an integer.
I don't have any 4k native drives.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #23 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 1:15pm

Brian wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 12:22pm:
Not really necessary if your source partitions are 2048 sector aligned.

Agree but in my case the partitions on the source drive are cylinder aligned.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 12:51am

Do you have SSDs in other computers?

I have two NVMe SSDs in my test computer. They are fast. I can restore a (freshly installed) Win10 image in 2 to 3 seconds. (NVMe to NVMe)

Image size is 4.6 GB.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #25 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 2:29am

I have a SSD in my LapTop. It was bought four years ago and the only "preventive maintenance" I have done is, using IFL, to create an initial image of the whole disk and next, after installing the programs I use, a second image of C: alone.

On the DeskTop, the images will be on a HDD, not a SSD and that may affect performance when it comes to creating and restoring images.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #26 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 4:29am

The SSD in my DeskTop will be a 500 GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2.5" SATA.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 2:55pm

@
Christer

How is it progressing? I'll be away for a few weeks but will have occasional internet access.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #28 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 4:17pm

@
Brian

I've had other things to occupy my time but will continue next week. I have upgraded the fully updated Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I went directly to version 1909. The installation was done from a USB-stick, online to let the installer download the necessary updates. It took ~25 minutes to get Windows 10 up and running but another ~65 minutes to get the updates (mostly drivers) installed. A few had to be updated through the entry in the Device Manager. Only the Catalyst Control Center was uninstalled due to incompatibility but I manually downloaded and installed a compatible version. Everything was working perfectly when the images of the system partitions, XP (containing the boot files) and W10 to get it complete, were created.

Images have to be restored in parallel because the boot files on the XP-partition after the upgrade to Windows 10 no longer works with Windows 7, should I restore that image (and the other way around as well).

I'm pleasantly surprized. The first attempt I made was in 2016, upgrading to Windows 10 version 1511 but most drivers were missing and it didn't work very well. I checked that Windows 10 had been activated and it had. Next, I restored two images (in parallel) and went back to Windows 7. My conclusion is that in the intervening time, since all drivers were available through Windows Update, hardware manufacturers and Microsoft have been busy to make it work on 10 years old hardware. Good work!

I don't understand why Windows 7 should be fully updated for the upgrade to work. Basically, a lot of settings are transferred from W7 to W10 but after that, W7 ends up in windows.old and next removed completely.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #29 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 5:28pm

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Jan 24th, 2020 at 4:17pm:
I don't understand why Windows 7 should be fully updated for the upgrade to work

When I upgraded Win7 to Win10 I did it on a Win7 that was installed a few minutes ago.

I don't understand what's going on with your booting files. Do you see a Microsoft boot menu when you try to boot Win10? If not then it's not using booting files in WinXP.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print