Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Windows XP, SSD and TRIM (Read 9952 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Windows XP, SSD and TRIM
Jan 26th, 2020 at 9:42am

I'm in the process of cloning a HDD to a SSD. The disk has 3 partitions, the first for XP, the second for W10 and the third for user data, accessible from both operating systems.

I have always defragmented the respective system partition from within itself, never from the other OS.

On a SSD, XP doesn't support TRIM and defragmenting a SSD is not recommended. Does it work and is recommended to execute the TRIM command on the XP-partition, from within W10?

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Windows XP, SSD and TRIM
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 2:08am

I haven't tried using Win10 to trim WinXP but it should work. You can trim partitions in IFL using the PartWork module. That's how I trim my WinXP and Linux partitions as my OS are hidden from each other.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 3:05am

I read the "manual" for IFL but didnt notice the PartWork module. Now, it seems like I have two options and will choose the quickest way to TRIM the XP-partition. Since I have IFL on a USB-device, doing it from Windows 10 is probably quicker and more to hand. As I understand TRIMming, it wipes data from previously used blocks to make it quicker to write to them. That wouldn't be OS-dependent, or?

I will not use Windows XP very much, maybe not at all, so it will not be necessary very often.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 10:38am

This is a test--I'm getting an *Internal Server Error* when attempting to post a Reply.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 10:44am

Well, that worked!  I'm going to attempt to post the Reply that did not work:

Well, whatever I have in that reply is causing an error--I will have to trouble shoot by removing elements until it does work ....

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 1:14pm

@
NightOwl

I too had the same error message. The post didn't exceed the limitations (max 6000 characters) but when I split it in three, I was able to post.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 5:16pm

@
Brian

Hey Brian--good to see your posts to Christer!  How are you?  Are you directly effected by the fires?

It is very unfortunate with all the folks loosing their homes.  And devastating to the wild life--so many dead and injured critters.

Any recommendations on donations to animal rescue efforts--who has a good reputation for good efforts?

So, trying to post this again!  I wonder if my attempts to post previously caused the website to crash?!

Brian wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 2:08am:
You can trim partitions in IFL using the PartWork module. That's how I trim my WinXP and Linux partitions as my OS are hidden from each other.

(Couldn't post the whole Reply--got the Server error again, so trying it in chunks as Christer mentioned.)

This is *Part 1*.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 5:18pm

(This is part 2:)

So, this comment *made me look*!

My SSD  has 4 partitions:  TeraBytes's BIBM (Boot-It Bare Metal), WinXP, Win7, and Win8.1 (formerly I had Win10 on it, but deleted it).

I use the Terabyte *Boot It Bare Metal* (BIBM) (version 1.25a) as my boot manager, rather than the Microsoft boot manager.  It is set to *std 4 primary partitions*, and not *unlimited Primaries*.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 5:22pm

(This is part 3):

In order to use the *Trim* function, I have always booted my system to the boot manager screen, and then selected *Maintenance* to get to a new screen with several desktop icons--one of which is the *Partition Works* program (no version number found). 

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 5:26pm

(This is part 4:)

There is a *Trim* button there in the right hand list of *Actions*, but it is *greyed* out as an option for the SSD HDD.  I have to change the *Bus* option from *BIOS* to *BIOS (direct)* in order to change the greyed out Trim button to an *active* button.  I can then select my WinXP partition, and select the *Trim* function.  I then have to Re-boot to get the *Bus* setting back to the plain *BIOS* setting--I can not change it back while still in the *Maintenance* section of the boot manager.

So, booted to the IFL (v2.88 (GUI)) that's on a burned optical disc.  It loads the Imaging program by default.  I can close that program by the *X* box in the upper right corner of that program dialog box, or by the *Exit* button in the lower right corner of the dialog box.  There are other desktop Icons--one of which is also *Partition Works (v1.25).  But once this is clicked and opened, there is no *Trim* button in the right side *Actions* options.  And the *Bus* shows as *OS*, and no other option can be selected.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 5:27pm

(This is part 5:)

So, my *older* version of IFL does not offer the *Trim* option.  I had never looked there before because I was always doing the Trim from the boot manager's version of the Partition Works program!

@ Christer

What version of IFL do you currently use?

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 6:07pm

@
NightOwl

3.36 downloaded a week ago. Now the current version is 3.37.

After checking that all seemed to be "normal", I created an image of each OS-partition, XP and W10. Prior to that, I ran the "optimize function" within W10 on both partitions and it seemed to do its deed.

Is there a significant difference doing it from Partition Works within IFL?

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 4:38am

@
NightOwl

I checked out Partition Works and I have the TRIM button for all my primary partitions (XP and W10) and the volume on the extended partition (data).

The strange thing is when I check the properties for the W10 partition, it states that Fast Startup is enabled. It isn't but it has not been disabled by unchecking the box in Power Options > System Settings but by disabling Hibernation in the Registry. That removes the check box for "turn on fast startup" which is not available anymore.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #13 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 12:36pm

I asked Terabyte Support and they responded very quickly:

Quote:
It's still enabled, but won't be applied since hibernation is disabled, but nothing stops it from working with hibernation in the future. Just click the button to disable it in partition work / properties.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #14 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 12:57pm

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 6:07pm:
Is there a significant difference doing it from Partition Works within IFL

I don't know.  My older IFL version does not have the *Trim* action button in the right hand Action list.

I only have the *Trim* option in the Partition Works that's part of the *Maintenance* option on the Boot It Bare Metal (BIBM) boot manager program that I have installed.

So, my two Partition Works have different abilities at their different locations.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print