Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Intermittent blue-screening (Read 450 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Intermittent blue-screening
Jul 31st, 2023 at 2:30am

A bit off-topic but I believe that I have read/write problems with my Samsung SSD. The computer blue-screens or it just feezes. It can go on for weeks at startup every morning and I have to use the reset-button. It can happen immediately, within a minute or two, or there may be a delay of several minutes, 15-20 at the most.

Then all of a sudden, it works just fine for several weeks/months. No problems whatsoever.

This morning, after a few months of working just fine, it blue-screened again and it gave "ntfs.sys did not finish" as the reason. The reason given varies but has anyone here experienced the same or similar behaviour that can be deduced as read/write errors on a SSD?

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Intermittent blue-screening
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2023 at 1:05am

I don't shut down every evening but I did yesterday and restarted this morning with a different cause given for the blue screen: "WdFilter.sys did not finish". Each time it blue screens it has a different cause.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Re: Intermittent blue-screening
Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2023 at 2:06pm

It's always best, to treat your PC, whether Desktop or Laptop, as any other household appliance.
If you're not using it, Shut it Off!  No sleep, No Hibernate, just a simple ON or OFF.

Windows has provided several different ways to shut down any Windows PC.
But to me they all involve multiple mouse clicks, etc.  No thank you!

So, years ago, I came up with a one click shutdown, and that means creating a Quick Shutdown shortcut, and pinning that to the Task Bar.

Here's the syntax for that Shortcut:
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s  /t 1

Yes, there are three spaces in that line.

Then with that shortcut in the taskbar, it takes only ONE Mouse click to properly shut down your PC.

The shortcut takes care of shutting down all running programs, before the final Shutdown is done.
If you just press the power button, to shut down the PC, then programs and files can remain Open, causing some problems when you reboot.  Don't do that!!!

Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print