Step.08 » Create Repeating Regions in Dreamweaver Templates
- To create a Repeating Region, select/highlight item(s) to be used as basis for Repeating Region and SELECT > Insert > Template Objects > Repeating Region
- Name repeating region (unique, descriptive).
- Can add as many Repeating Regions as necessary.
- Note: Repeating Regions are NOT editable.
- If you want to be able to EDIT the content in a repeating region (you normally do), need to wrap the content in an Editable Region .. by creating an Editable Region inside the Repeating Region.
- To create an Editable Region inside a Repeating Region, select/highlight desired content (found inside Repeating Region) and SELECT > Insert > Template Objects > Editable Region.
- Name the Editable Region (unique, descriptive) & click OK.
- This may create a NESTED editable region, and the color-code for the handle of the outer one will become yellow.
- Save Template and close.
- Pages created from Templates that contain Repeating Regions will contain 4 small buttons » + - ^ V (add-RR, remove-RR, move-selected-RR-up, move-selected-RR-down). So you can create a duplicate of the original RR with a single click (of the + sign).
- It's easiest to change gfx is by selecting the image and using the Point-to-File icon. (All gfx in Repeating Regions must be same size or » problems.)
Templates require considerable planning, but are worth the effort.
Step.09 » Modifying a Template
Modifying a template allows you to make site-wide or area-specific changes. This is the single most powerful feature of working with templates. (Site maintenance.)
- When a modified template is saved, it prompts you as to whether you want to update the files (web pages) that are based on that template.
- You can update the files at this time, or any time the template is open, by going to the modify menu. (Modify » Templates » Update .. either current page or Pages.. for ALL pages based on that template.
- Go to Assets panel and click on Templates icon.
- Click "Edit".
- Can also open templates via File menu » Open.
Spend extra time when planning templates .. so they are both powerful and flexible.