Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Booting from a cd with ghost image (Read 3261 times)
bentz

Booting from a cd with ghost image
Jul 17th, 2002 at 9:26am

I have a weird problem. I have a Sony Vaio laptop with an external cd/dvd-rom which connects in the pc-card (pcmcia) interface. I don't have the real-mode driver for that drive, so when I boot from a standard win98 startup disk, or any other startup disk I could find on the net, for that matter, it won't be recognized by the system. Even if I configure the bios to start from the cd-rom, it will start from there, but it will try to load the standard atapi/scsi cd drivers (with no success of course) and then the drive will get recognized as a: drive but only files in the boot sector will be accessible Angry
My question is this: I need to make a restore disk for the system and I know it is possible because it came with such a cd set (not for the OS I need though Sad ) which works when booting from cd. Also, booting from a Win2k setup cd works. However, in the ghost guide on this site, the hidden assumption is that I have either an atapi or a scsi cd-rom to boot from. Hence, the boot disks are all with real-mode atapi/scsi drivers. Now what can a poor guy like me do when Sony will not even return my emails requesting the driver, let alone provide me with a rescue set for the OS I need?  Cry
Pleeeeeeaaaaassssseeee if anyone knows how to make a bootable cd of an image which will be recognized by that stupid computer I will be forever at his/her debt.
The computer is a Sony Vaio PCG-Z505JE with a CD/DVD-ROM PCGA-DVD51.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Booting from a cd with ghost image
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2002 at 12:23pm

1st, make it clear to sony that you'll never buy another sony product cuz you find their sppt lacking. you can ask to speak to supervisors and go up the chain.

Next, did you see this:

http://www.ping.be/satcp/ghostresq01.htm

IP Logged

bentz

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2002 at 4:29am

I can't make it clear for Sony that they suck because they do not even reply to my emails. Their reps in my country are total dickheads. But thanks for the offer.
Regarding the guide on satCP's site, the problem of lack of real-mode driver for this device is not solved there.
The funny thing is that when I boot from a Win98 setup CD, it will get a drive letter (a: ) and I can see a list of files similar to the list of files on a boot diskette for Win98. I cannot see the rest of the setup folders and files which are only accessible from DOS/Windows in regular fashion (i.e. when I insert the CD in windows). Also, the files I can see when booting from Win98 setup CD are NOT accessible from Windows! which leads me to the conclusion that they are in some kind of a boot sector or something like this. It is similar to the rescue CD's from Sony which are totaly inaccessible from windows (probably because all its material is on this "boot sector" ).
Anyway, thanks for the effort, and if you have any other idea, I'd love to hear it.
bentz

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2002 at 11:41am

I have a laptop from that I purchased several years ago (P166). It too generated all kinds of problems related to proprietary devices & drivers. For this reason I only use my laptop for basic stuff like word processing & checking email away from home. I don't even try to do anything multimedia with it. Wish I could help more.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print