Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
bootable CD to run ghost (no FDD) (Read 192663 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: bootable CD to run ghost (no FDD)
Reply #15 - Apr 30th, 2003 at 4:17am

by the way, i changed the default max post length from 5500 characters to 9999. Were you trying to post more than 5500 characters?

IP Logged

notech

Reply #16 - Apr 30th, 2003 at 2:37pm

Thanks for the symantec link.  It looks like a slimmed down version of Sid's way to restore an image.  It goes along with the previous link "how to create an MS DOS system disk for Dos" to boot norton.  The config.sys file loads the appropriate drivers and the autoexec.bat along with ghost.bat to load norton to your chosen use (restore or create image). 

The thing about Method 1, the usual way to write an image to a cdrw is:

Choose Yes when Ghost asks whether to make the disk bootable. If prompted, insert a floppy disk that has the appropriate CD-R/RW drivers

that's the  way you must have meant to create a bootable CD through norton.

Method 2:

With this method, you use Ghost to create the image file and save it to a temporary location such as a partition on the hard disk.

Method 2 is Sid's way to restore the image, but the key problem is "use ghost to create the image file".  That is not the problem.  Booting to Ghost to create the image is the problem.  Need a bootable CD with norton on it to create the image.

So it's back to Sid's modified way to create the bootable CD to boot Norton.  I don't see how it would be possible to burn the image to CDRW from Norton, unless you had 2 CD drives.  One to boot and load norton and a CDRW to burn the image to CDRW  through Norton.

An external floppy drive for laptop is an option.  But say, you want to burn the image to an external USB drive?  It would take experimenting to see if Norton would recognize the USB floppy and the usb external drive.  I found Norton very clunky with USB in dos.

Say you want to boot Norton from a USB floppy drive and connect to the computer you want to get the image off  of, though a direct parallel connection?  I found the USB/LPT Norton Boot disk very troublesome in DOS if you have a USB mouse.  It would lockup if you loaded the USB drivers ochi.exe and uchi.exe.  No mouse is not really a problem, but what about a USB keyboard?  Some ppl have no option but USB.

I know it sounds like I'm making it more complicated than it is, and maybe I am.  Maybe the solution to avoiding the USB/LPT boot disk problem is eliminating mouse.com from loading.  The boot disk that Norton creates for LPT/USB has a mouse.com in the 2nd line of the autoexec.bat file it creates (or ghost.bat when you rename it to boot off CD)

If you search symantec for usb peripherals or no floppy drive, you'll find there are alot of problems to be worked out.  I'm going to do some more experimenting this weekend to cure the USB glitches and see if I can come up with something. 

It would be easier to ditch ghost and go with another utility to backup a hosed OS with a peer to peer connection, but to preserve LFN's I've found Norton to be the best option.  There are other utilities like FileVan to connect via parallel, but if 1 of the computers is running in DOS (the hosed one) it will not preserve LFN's in the transfer.  That would be fine for a few files, but if you needed to copy the whole drive with crucial files it would be worthless if all the files where renamed "taxfilep~. Smiley

I'll keep plugging away at possible solutions.  The USB problem was unexpected.  If not for that problem on the bootable CD, it would be a piece of cake.  No usb keyboard, mouse, or external drive and the bootable CD or usb floppy drive should work.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2003 at 3:35pm

Haven't read the whole thing yet, but a couple of things came to mind:

1. I can't find the part where Ghost asks "Do you want to make this CD bootable."

2. Re: "Method 2 is Sid's way to restore the image, but the key problem is "use ghost to create the image file".  That is not the problem.  Booting to Ghost to create the image is the problem.  Need a bootable CD with norton on it to create the image"

Ghost 2003 allows to configure your image creation from Windows. After setting everything up the way you want, it will automatically reboot into DOS and write the image for you, and then return to Windows when it'd done.

Does the corp version not do this? Do you have to do it the old way (by booting manually into DOS? That's how you used to have to do it b4 Ghost 2003 came along .. which makes things much easier.

IP Logged

dan

Reply #18 - Apr 30th, 2003 at 10:17pm

ohh man...i just made a huge post but forgot to put my email and it lost it....oh well...ill make it shorter ....I do have a floppy drive and i had tried doing the back up by booting from the floppy and straight from windows...at 5% when i am burning an image to the cd it gets an error for some reason. this wont let me down because i just went through the sites and just found out that you can burn a duplicate to another harddrive and just use it as a back up...i think this will be even better because i have a 20 gig harddrive that was going to  take out for a 120 gig. but not anymore...im going to try to make it as a back up drive if i can compress it the highest  Grin thanks for the help guys

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #19 - May 1st, 2003 at 5:39pm

Okay, did some research. Haven't burned a Ghost image to CD in so long I forgot how.

Since I have a SCSI burner (plextor 8X), I need to boot with a floppy that sppts my SCSI optical drives in DOS. This is weird, cuz I have no problem using Ghost with my SCSI hard drives. It's only the optical drives that require a special SCSI boot disk.

Of cource I know squat about how to make these, But I have freinds. I posted these files here:

http://radified.com/Files/ (bottom right)

This allows me to burn my image directly to CD, and gives me the option/question: "

"Do you want to make this CD bootable?"

I simply leave in the same SCSI boot floppy that Stan made for me. I haven't tried restoring the image, but I'm confident it would work.

Took me 4 CDs on 'high' compression. Kinda slow at only 8X.

Ghost 2003 no longer sppts my old-ass burner, so I had to use Ghost 2002.

So now I see your dilemma if you don't have a floppy? The reason you can't use Ghost to create a bootable CD is cuz you don't have a floppy. Am I correct? Am I seeing the light?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #20 - May 1st, 2003 at 5:50pm

Re: "I don't see how it would be possible to burn the image to CDRW from Norton, unless you had 2 CD drives.  One to boot and load norton and a CDRW to burn the image to CDRW  through Norton."

I'm sure you could use the same drive: boot to DOS with bootable CD, then yank out the bootable CD and replace it with a blank one. Have ghost.exe stored somewhere on you hard drive [I store mine in directories named "Ghost2k1" and "Ghost2k2" and Ghost2k3"].

The execute Ghost from the hard drive [in DOS].

Do u know how to navigate around is DOS? I address this in the guide.

IP Logged

notech

Reply #21 - May 2nd, 2003 at 1:29am

lol Dan - I have lost SO many posts here I'm paranoid Smiley  I select all/copy and paste it to notepad half way thru.  BTW RAadmin.  Thx for increasing the characters allowed.  I don't know how many that looong post was, but it was alot.

I'll have to look at the radified guide for Norton that you have and see how to run ghost off the drive.  I assume cd to the dir and run it?  My concern was on my friends hosed laptop, he doesn't have ghost installed.  I wasn't sure if licensing would be a problem if I put it on his drive and ran it from there.  ?? And the drive being so hosed I really didn't want to write anything to the drive itself.

Also, I didn't realize that 2003 would auto boot to dos when done creating the image and no floppy required. I guess the floppy is required to load the CDRW drivers or to restore the image?  I know a floppy was still required for one of the processes in 2003.  Yes, 7.5 is strictly DOS.

I didn't realize I could yank the CD and put a CDRW disk in the drive without it asking for the floppy with CDRW drivers.  ??  I really want to tweak a multi-boot CD with all the Norton bootdisks on it.  That sounds like a perfect solution.  With the knowledgeable ppl on this forum and contacts, if I run into trouble I can post what I have so far and see what I'm missing in the autoexec.bat file. 

Then when it works, you can post the ISO for other users like me Smiley  I can't guarantee I can get it to fly, but I'm willing to pull my hair out over the weekend and plug away at it.  I'm off Sunday - Tues. next week.   Or if you know anyone else that wants to contribute their knowledge to a community project, that would be great too.

off to check out your /files dir Smiley  BTW the forum is really funky.  Glad I'm not the only one having trouble.  There's something weird about the focus for the mouse.  If I click in the username field and just move my mouse slightly, the field focus changes to wherever my mouse is and I have to repeatedly click back in the username field to type my name.   I'm on the laptop with a USB mouse, but I've never encountered that problem elsewhere.  weird!   

I think the lost posts are from not having cookies enabled.  Once you click post, if the name is missing with no cookie, it gets stuck on stupid and wipes the whole post when you click back. 

thx again for all your help!!

IP Logged

Spade

Reply #22 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 8:04am

Ask this guy for one, he sent me one:

http://www.tawheedcomputers.com

then go to his FAQs page, he has something on there about bootable CDs for customers

IP Logged

fredflintstone

Reply #23 - May 10th, 2004 at 4:47pm

How about booting into DOS from the Ghost CD which is bootable, then running the ghost.exe dos version of ghost to do the biz with the LPT.

Alternatively what I'd do is just whip the drive out of the trashed laptop and connect it as an extra drive on  another machine .

IP Logged

Madness

Reply #24 - May 27th, 2004 at 10:45pm

Use BARTS BOOT DISK...

Create a Boot Disk with CD ROM and Network Support...

Then Create a BOOT CD from BOOT FLOPPY in Adaptec Easy CD Creator. Before you Burn add the extra GHostpe.exe to the CD...

Infact add any extra files....

EASY worked first GO... and it will boot onto the network too..

IP Logged

Travini

bootable CD to run ghost **no FDD**
Reply #25 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 10:19pm

None of this helps if you dont have a floppy drive.
Does anyone know if you can boot from the official Ghost CD itself??

IP Logged

Spanky

Reply #26 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 12:05am

IP Logged

Peter2150
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Washington DC

Reply #27 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 1:02pm

This issue of a bootable CD had me going nuts also.   I use Nero Express which came with my Lite-on  CDRW drive.   One the options I had tried a while back was it can create a bootable CD, but it wants a bootable floppy in the Drive A:

Also I use Drive Image along with Ghost, and I could never do a thing with the floppy it created. 

What I finally tried and it worked, was to have Ghost build a bootable floppy with the support I need to get to my external drive.   Then I copied the NTFS4Dos to that floppy.  Needed this for Drive Image.

Leaving this floppy in the A: drive  I had Nero Express create a bootable CD.   It created a bootable with everything that had been on the floppy.  Hot Damn if it doesn't work great.  Plus leaving the CD in it becomes Drive A: and I can put the other floppy in Drive B: and use this for both programs.

IP Logged

Keppler

Reply #28 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 5:14pm

Floppy drives are pretty cheap. You can pick them up almost anywhere. For my laptop, I have one that plugs into the USB port. Works fine. I think it was $19 (or $29?).

IP Logged

JunkyJu
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #29 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 2:35pm

I created a set of Ghost 8 Network boot disks, all I need is for the GX280 to work.
Used this guide: http://help.ischool.washington.edu/faqs/idx/0/037/article

Problem is the bootable files from disk 1 are used to create the boot files on the CD.  I add the Ghost directory from disk 2, then burn the CD.

When booting from the new CD the drivers (GX280) are installed fine, but the Ghost executable cannot be accessed.  When viewing from DOS, the program doesn't even exist on the CD.

Any hints appreciated, the coaster count is rising.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print