Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
SUCCESS USING GHOST WITH NOTEBOOK & PCMCIA CARD (Read 215606 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: SUCCESS USING GHOST WITH NOTEBOOK & PCMCIA
Reply #75 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 11:44am

Quote:
"... Host Controller:

Intel 82801
FB/FBM USB2

Hardware ID:
PCI/VEN_8086..."

VID=8086h PID=24DDh

Quote:
"... The Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller- 24DD on my Dell 8300 systemboard has been at the root of much grief and misery while testing USB 2.0 external enclosure kits in which I had mounted various internal HDDs.  Some brands of HDDs seemed more vulnerable than others, but
the fault lay in the software of the host controller and not the device controller of the enclosure kits

If the dread codes scrolling across above are revealed in Device Manager, extreme discretion should be exercised in selecting USB 2.0 devices expected to function in DOS-based applications such as Ghost 2003.  Even NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine will fail with certain USB HDD enclosures.  Most disturbing to me was the failure of the Partition Magic 8.0 DOS Disaster Recovery boot disks to recognize two different external HDDs linked with the Intel host controller..."

For Norton Ghost 2003, I suspect that NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine would serve as your only alternative.  Anywhere Ghost has to either: (1) function totally in DOS using boot diskettes or CD/DVDs; or (2) transition from "Windows-to-DOS-to-Windows", the
Intel 82801-series host controller
seems to prove troublesome.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

ScottLippmann
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #76 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 11:50am

Thanks,

As per my original post i have already tried the Panasonic boot disk.

I was hoping someone would shed light as to why Ghost couldn't see any internal drivers either when booting from it.

Scott

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #77 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 2:43pm

ScottLippmann wrote on Aug 10th, 2006 at 2:09pm:
"... I am booting with diskette using a USB Floppy Drive..."

Hmm - booting from an external floppy drive may not be kosher under all circumstances.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

ScottLippmann
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #78 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 2:50pm

Yeah... yet another obstacle.  I'm going to create a bootable CD using the Universal USB Floppy and give it another go.  After that i think the next and only step is going to be a letter to intel. I'm sure they will jump on getting a driver right away.  Wink

I guess the downside to all this is that the company i work for, 95% of all the machines are newer IBMS and HPs and it seems that they all have that 82801 device.

I'll post my results with the bootable CD.

Thanks Again.

Scott

IP Logged

MAVB
Ex Member

Reply #79 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 11:25pm

Sad Sad Sad
Hi...
I have a latitude/dell without floppy disk, and I dont have option to boot from a usb device...I think my problem is bigger...
I have 3 partition in my hdd...c:\win98 d:\winxp e:\backup
I copied all the files from the norton ghost floppy disk to win98 partition, and it  doesnt work....
Please can anybody help me....please
Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #80 - Dec 16th, 2006 at 1:06am

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Scruge
Ex Member

Reply #81 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 9:24pm

Great work guys!

I've read through most info provided but wasn't able to put my finger on what speeds one would expect using the USB 2 setup.

I've been fooling around with Ghost for quite few years now  and haven't ever been able to come up with a satisfactory USB, firewire or ethernet interface.  They all seem to max out at around 30 Megabytes per MINUTE, when processing .CAB files, which can't be compressed.  

My last attempt was recently after I had purchased a  new notebook which had only USB2, firewire and ethernet.   Based on my experiences with USB using the Panasonic drivers 2 years ago 20-30mB/minute, I figured I'd  give the ethernet a shot this time using the p2p config.

I found the process took 7.5 hours to backup 8GB of data to a highly compressed 6GB Ghost image, over a 100mbs ethernet connection.  

I'm curious, are the rest of you seeing speeds in this range? ???

I took the same drive out of the notebook and imaged it over an IDE connection and I was finished in less than an hour, and that included t he time it took to R&R the hard drive.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #82 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 9:42pm

Scruge

Your speed looks a little slow--my system max's out at between 400-500 MB/min--I've seen reports of up to 700-800 MB/min.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print