Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 20
Send Topic Print
A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More! (Read 643421 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!
Reply #15 - Sep 30th, 2004 at 1:16pm

El_Pescador

I think your 'Reply # 13' with the large screen shot has caused this thread to require a screen that's wider than will fit without having to use the bottom scroll bar.  Makes it hard to read the posts.

Is there any way you can 'modify' your post so it doesn't create the need for the bottom scroll bar?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #16 - Sep 30th, 2004 at 2:53pm

HOWZAT ???

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #17 - Sep 30th, 2004 at 4:07pm

El_Pescador

That modification worked great!  Thanks.

Looks like you're working on that option I mentioned about using the 'Boot disks' created by the Boot Wizard and substituting the Panasonic files.  Should work if you use the correct mods.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #18 - Sep 30th, 2004 at 10:26pm

This mod (now moved below) is the one I made reference to some time back using NighOwl's 'Panasonic Universal USB Driver' as its foundation.  Regrettably, I had put it on the 'back-burner' in hopes of working off of a single bootable CD-R rather than two floppy disks or having to rely on a FAT32 HDD being somewhere in the loop containing GHOST.EXE and the PQMAGIC folder for DOS routines.

Using both Nero and CD Creator 5 Platinum, I succeeded in loading anything and everything I wanted onto the CD-R, but failed to make anything accessible in MS-DOS except the contents of the bootable 1.44MB floppy iself.

I hope someone with more smarts than me will pick up the gauntlet and eventually make it work.

Anyway, the two-disk concept using 1.44MB floppys functions quite well and is a natural extension of NightOwl's excellent work.

El Pescador

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #19 - Oct 1st, 2004 at 1:08am

More USB 2.0 External HDDs should work as promised now with DOS-based applications !!!

Behold a fusion of the Norton/Iomega Disaster Recovery MS-DOS 2-Disk Set and NightOwl's 'Panasonic Universal USB Driver'.  Review NightOwl's initial post in this thread to gain the necessary components for the substitutions called for below.

STEP ONE: Format two 1.44MB floppys in a WIN 9x PC using the 'Copy system files' option. Then, label them as Disk 1 and Disk 2 respectively prior to submitting them to the Norton Ghost Boot Wizard for undergoing processing as a MS-DOS 2-Disk Disaster Recovery Set.

STEP TWO: Following completion of the Norton Ghost Boot Wizard processing, return the 1.44MB floppy labeled Disk 1 to the WIN 9x PC and copy C:\Windows\HIMEM.SYS to the A:\ root as shown above.

STEP THREE: Open the AUTOEXEC.BAT file on BOTH Disk 1 and Disk 2 with Notepad.  Discard GUEST.EXE on the third line and substitute the PATH command as shown above.

STEP FOUR: Open the CONFIG.SYS file on Disk 1 with Notepad.  Discard ASPIEHCI.SYS and modify the DEVICE assignments as shown above.

STEP FIVE: Duly note that the GHOST folder on Disk 1 is vacant, but contains GHOST.EXE on Disk 2.  Conversely, having a vacant USB folder on Disk 2 would fulfill the PATH statement in AUTOEXEC.BAT, although such is not reflected in the illustrations.

STEP SIX: Open the USB folder in Disk 1 and discard the ASPIEHCI.SYS file, replacing it with USBASPI.SYS and DI1000DD.SYS as shown above.

STEP SEVEN: Ensure that the AUTOEXEC.BAT file on Disk 2 exactly matches that on Disk 1.

STEP EIGHT: Ensure that the GHOST folder on Disk 2 contains GHOST.EXE, but nothing else.

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #20 - Oct 1st, 2004 at 3:15pm

El Pescador

Quote:
I hope someone....will pick up the gauntlet and eventually make it work.

See if this works:

I created the following bootable system floppy disk under Win98se:

[config.sys]   

Device=himem.sys   
Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v 
Device=di1000dd.sys
Device=oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001
Dos=high 
Lastdrive=z   

[autoexec.bat]   

Path=a:\y:\;y:\ghost;y:\pqmagic 
Mouse.com
Mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /l:x /m:16 /v   

[Files on the Bootable System Floppy Disk]   

Autoexec.bat   
Command.com   
Config.sys   
Di1000dd.sys   
Himem.sys   
Io.sys   
Mouse.com 
Msdos.sys 
Mscdex.exe
Usbasipi.sys

I then created a subdirectory on my C:\ drive named 'Ghost' and copied the DOS program 'Ghost.exe' to it.

I then created a subdirectory on my C:\ drive named 'Pqmagic' and copied the files from the 'C:\Program Files\PowerQuest\PartitionMagic 8.0\DOS' subdirectory to it.

I then did the following steps to create a bootable CD:

1.  Opened Roxio Easy CD Creator 5

2.  Rt clicked the 'File' menu item

3.  Selected 'New CD Project'/'Bootable CD'

In the 'Choose Type of Bootable CD' I selected 'Floppy Disk Emulation (1.44 MB)' and selected 'Generate Image from Floppy.  Please insert a bootable floppy disk in drive A and click OK.'

Inserted the above bootable floppy and the program read the bootable floppy and added 'bootcat.bin' and 'bootimg.bin' to the lower screen where the files to be burned to the CD are listed.

4.  I then highlited the 'Pqmagic' subdirectory in the upper screen (source files), and clicked 'add' so it now showed in the lower screen of files/directories to be burned to the CD.

5.  I then highlited the 'Ghost' subdirectory in the upper screen (source files), and clicked 'add' so it now showed in the lower screen of files/directories to be burned to the CD.

6.  I then clicked 'record', and I had a bootable CD with Ghost, PartitionMagic, and the Panasonic Univeral USB Driver on it.

Notes:

1.  The 'Device=oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001' mounts the optical drive(s), and 'Mscdex.exe' assigns the drive letters in DOS for the optical drives. 

The '/l:x' switch tells 'Mscdex.exe' to assign the first optical drive it detects with drive letter 'x', and any additional optical drives will be 'y' and 'z' if present.  You can change the '/l:x' to whatever starting letter you want.  I have two optical drives--a CD-R/RW and a DVD-Rom--so they are assigned drive letters 'x' and 'y' respectively.  On my system, if the 'path' statement points to both of the optical drives, I get a 'CDR101: Not ready reading drive x,  Abort, Retry, Fail' if the first drive in the path statement is not the boot drive.  So I only put the drive I prefer to boot from in the path statement.  I can always change to the other one if I need to.

2.  I have found that on my system, that it is important to load the Panasonic Univeral USB driver files before the 'oakcdrom.sys' program because the system will hang more often then not if the 'oakcdrom.sys' is loaded first.

3.  Might want to use a CD-RW blank at first for testing if you can.  I had to redo things several times to work out the 'bugs', and being able to erase and start over without having to waste multiple CD-R's was helpful.

IP Logged

Ryno

Reply #21 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 1:49pm

I thought it might be worth mentioning how I created my bootable CD.

I use a process similar to that used by NightOwl.  Thie main difference is that I used WinImage to create an image of teh first boot disk (basically just a Win98 boot disk).  Then I used winimage to convert the format of the image from 1.44 to 2.88 MB.  At that point you have 2.88 MB of image space to play with so I actually have a number of different utilities on the root image itself.

It contains the following:
The basic DOS files (ie. command.com, io.sys, msdos.sys)
Numerous DOS utilities (ie. fdisk, format, edit, ramdisk, scandisk, ntfsdos, etc.)
The USB driver files.
The ghost.exe file.

Once you have the image how you want it, you save it as an uncompressed (IMA) file, start up Easy CD creator and follow NightOwl's instructions above (except select "2.88MB floppy disk emulation" instead of the standard 1.44, and select "Use existing image file").

I also did the same thing as nightowl, adding Partition Magic to the CD's normal (not "el torito") filesystem.

The El Torito standard also supports hard drive emulation for bootable CDs so I don't see any reason an image couldn't be created to the max size of a CD-ROM ~700MB.  I haven't yet dabled with it, but I assume that if I create a primary partition of say 680MB and format it as FAT with Win98 DOS boot files, I should be able to snag an image of it with WinImage, or 'dd' (which is available for Windows in addition to Linux/UNIX systems).  Easy CD creator gives you the option of selecting "Hard drive emulation" in addition to floppy emulation when you create a bootable CD as NightOwl outlined above.

Like I say, I haven't tested this yet, but it should work.

--Ryan

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #22 - Apr 15th, 2005 at 3:40am

Added a link to this thread in the guide where I discuss imaging to USB drives, at the botom of this page:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_caveat.htm

IP Logged

Keith Carlisle

Reply #23 - May 4th, 2005 at 11:28am

Hi thanks very much for this information.I created the boot floppy as you instructed and it worked fine for me.I tried it on two Windows XP machines,one with usb 2.0 and one with usb 1.0 to an AKASA usb to ide hard disk enclosure with a Maxtor 120gb hard disk the hard disk is formatted fat32 .I formatted it fat 32 because I was messing about trying to get things working using the Ghost boot floppy with the Iomega drivers without success so I have not tried the dive formatted as NTFS.
I used Nero to create a couple of boot cds using the floppy as the source for the files and they work fine and the external drive was allocated drive letter D on my p.c. (I have 3 ntfs partitions) and drive C on the other p.c.
I was getting a data transfer rate of over 500mb per min usb2 and 89mb per minute on the lower spec. usb 1.o machine so overall I am very happy that things are working.
Thanks very much for your help
Keith Carlisle

IP Logged

Valts

Reply #24 - May 24th, 2005 at 4:25am

Hi

Can you help me!!!

I’m making bootable USB memory stick and copy files:

[config.sys]

Device=himem.sys
Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v
Device=di1000dd.sys
Dos=high,umb
Lastdrive=z

[autoexec.bat]

path=a:\;c:\;c:\ghost
mouse.com
ghost

[Files on the Floppy Disk]

Autoexec.bat
Command.com
Config.sys
Di1000dd.sys
Himem.sys
Io.sys
Mouse.com
Mouse.ini
Msdos.sys
Usbasipi.sys

After boot from USB memory stick  :
"The following file is missing or corrupted: Di1000dd.sys
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS on line 3

HELP !!!!!!!

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #25 - May 24th, 2005 at 11:02am

Valts

Quote:
"The following file is missing or corrupted: Di1000dd.sys 
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS on line 3

Chicken vs Egg Problem?

I've seen reference to computer systems that can boot from USB memory cards--but I have no experience as to whether this is true or not.

Does your system have such ability?  Does it create a 'virtual A:\ drive' like the bootable CD sector on optical media?  Or, how exactly do you set it up so it's supposed to work?

The problem is--you are trying to load a USB driver that mounts a USB card reader (Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v ), and then a driver that assigns a drive letter to that mounted USB card reader (Device=di1000dd.sys ).  But you need those drivers loaded before you can access the memory card.

If your system is designed to boot from a USB memory card reader, then you must have built-in native access to the memory card--in which case, you would be trying to install drivers that do the same thing--which could cause conflicts between the competing drivers!

I have booted with the 'Panasonic USB 2.0' drivers from a floppy, and then run Ghost from my memory card reader that has Ghost.exe on it.  But I have no access to the memory card until the drivers are first loaded from floppy or bootable CD.

But, if you do have built-in native access to the USB card reader for booting--what drive letter is it assigned?  You probably have to change the CONFIG.SYS file lines to point to that drive letter with a full path indicated.

For example, if you USB card reader with the memory stick is assigned drive letter M:\, then you would possible need:  'Device=M:\di1000dd.sys'.

Or, if the card reader is being mounted as a 'virtual A:\' drive, maybe you need this change:  'Device=A:\di1000dd.sys'

Are the other drivers called in CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT being loaded okay--'himem.sys', 'usbaspi.sys', and 'mouse.com'?

IP Logged

tridib ghosh

Reply #26 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 8:01am

NightOwl wrote on Sep 17th, 2004 at 1:24pm:
To all

Why is this a better driver--see my reasons at the end of this post.

I started working on this after I posted this question in this forum and did not receive much response:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10897...

The original resources I have used are as follows:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10215

http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse/PC/DOS/Drivers/USB/

http://www.freedos.org/freedos/news/technote/203.html

http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/13447.html

http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

I will call this the 'Panasonic Universal USB Driver'.

So I have created a boot floppy as follows:

[config.sys]

Device=himem.sys
rem :The following line loads Panasonic's universal USB-controller driver
rem :those are spaces between the file name and each of the switches
rem :The '/e' switch forces USB 2.0 only, remove for USB 1.x also
Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v
rem :The following is an aspi mass storage driver for usb-connected HDD's
rem :and compactflash memory cards
rem :The 'Motto Hairu USB Driver'
Device=di1000dd.sys
Dos=high,umb
Lastdrive=z

[autoexec.bat]

rem :My USB HDD is drive 'l', if you wish, you will have to change this
rem :in your path statement to match your USB HDD drive letter
path=a:\;c:\;c:\pqmagic;l:\;l:\pqmagic
mouse.com
rem :Type 'rem' and a space in front of 'ghost' below
rem :if you do not want ghost to automatically load on bootup
ghost

[Files on the Floppy Disk]

Autoexec.bat
Command.com
Config.sys
Di1000dd.sys
Himem.sys
Io.sys
Mouse.com
Mouse.ini
Msdos.sys
Usbasipi.sys

How to create the boot disk and where to find the files:
(I'm using Win98se for the following)

-Put a blank floppy in the drive
-Open Windows Explorer
-Right-click the '3 1/2 ( A: )
-Choose 'Format...'
-Select 'Full' and 'Display summary when finished'
  and 'Copy system files'
-Make sure you have full capacity and no bad
  sectors after formating, i.e. a good floppy
-Check the files on the floppy, you should have:
  Command.com
  Drvspace.bin
  Io.sys
  Msdos.sys
-I delete the 'drvspace.bin' as it's not needed

-Now create the config.sys and autoexec.bat files
  -open Wordpad and copy and paste the text lines under
   [Config.sys] above into Wordpad
  -then 'save as' config.sys to the floppy in drive A:\

-then open a new document for Wordpad and copy and paste
   the text lines under [Autoexec.bat] above into Wordpad
  -then 'save as' autoexec.bat to the floppy in drive A:\

-Copy the Himem.sys to the floppy-it can be found in the Windows
   directory

-Mouse.com can be found in this directory if you have installed
  Norton Ghost 2003:  

C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\common

or if you have PartitionMagic v8.x, it's here:

C:\Program Files\PowerQuest\PartitionMagic 8.0\DOS

-Put a copy of Mouse.com on the floppy disk

-The first time Mouse.com runs when you boot, it will create Mouse.ini
  on the floppy for you

-The last two files are found on Rad's download page at the bottom where
  it says 'USB-DOS files':  http://radified.com/Files/

-After you download the 'usb-dos.zip' file, you will need to extract the files

-The kxlrw40an.exe is a self-extracting file you have to execute
  -it contains the Panasonic Driver 'usbaspi.sys' in the F2H directory
  -copy the 'usbaspi.sys' file to the floppy

-The mhairudo.zip has the di1000dd.sys file
  -extract the file
  -copy it to the floppy
  -Warning:  There is a 'usbaspi.sys' file here too--it's the wrong
   one!  Use the one above from the kxlrw40an.exe file.

So what have I done here:

Ghost will not fit on the boot floppy with the other drivers and files.  So I have copied the Ghost.exe to the root directory of the C:\ drive.  

PartitionMagic v8.x has a sub-directory labeled 'DOS' (C:\Program Files\PowerQuest\PartitionMagic 8.0\DOS) which has the necessary dos files to run PartitionMagic under dos.  So I created a sub-directory on the C:\ drive and I labeled it 'pqmagic' and copied the files from PartitionMagic's DOS sub-directory to my 'pqmagic' directory.  I chose 'pqmagic' because that's the program name that loads PartitionMagic when using dos and it reminds me what to type to start PartitionMagic.

My USB 2.0 hard drive always gets the drive letter 'L' assigned to it when booting, so I have put drive letter 'L' in the autoexec.bat path statement (you will have to change your path statement to match your USB HDD letter, if you wish this functionality), and also copied Ghost.exe and the 'pqmagic' sub-directory to the USB 2.0 hard drive's root directory.  So if the C:\ drive has been trashed, then the files are available on the USB 2.0 hard drive too.

In the autoexec.bat path statement, I have told the dos session to look for Ghost.exe and Pqmagic.exe in A:\, C:\, C:\pqmagic, L:\, and L:\pqmagic, and once it finds the program file, it will load and open the program.  I have set the command in the autoexec.bat file to run Ghost automatically when I boot.  If you do not want this to happen, delete the 'Ghost' line, or put 'rem + a space' in front of the 'Ghost' line so the line is ignored when read during bootup.

So why is this a better USB 2.0 DOS driver?:

1.  When booting it loads much faster and mounts and assigns drive letters more quickly.

2.  The Panasonic Universal USB driver may be a more 'universal' USB 2.0 driver that is compatible with more USB 2.0 components.  (Symantec clearly states that it's Iomega driver has limited compatibility:  http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1999062808022225?

3.  The Panasonic Universal USB driver was able to mount my Adaptec USB 2.0 powered hub and access the HDD through the hub, so I do not have to unplug my USB 2.0 HDD from the hub, and route the wiring directly to the PCI USB 2.0 adapter card port.

4.  The USB 2.0 transfer rate for Ghost was noticeably faster.  Using the Norton's Iomega USB 2.0 driver, I got a image creation speed of 295 MB/min and an image integrity check speed of 374 MB/min.  

With the Panasonic Universal USB driver, I got an image creation speed of 551 MB/min, and an image integrity check speed of 1024 MB/min!

5.  Using the Panasonic Univeral USB driver I was able to use the DOS version of PartitionMagic to access and perform all partitioning activities on the USB 2.0 HDD, again through the powered hub if I wanted to.

6.   Using the Panasonic Univeral USB driver I was able to use Fdisk under DOS to access and perform all partitioning activities on the USB 2.0 HDD, again through the powered hub if I wanted to.

7.  Using the Panasonic Univeral USB driver, if a memory card was loaded in my Lexar USB 2.0 Multi-Card Reader, I was able to mount the card reader, and the driver assigned a drive letter to the memory card, and I had access to the files on the memory card under DOS.

I put Ghost.exe on the memory card while in Windows, and then used the memory card to load Ghost after booting to DOS!  And the memory card showed up in Ghost as a drive that could be imaged.  I Ghosted (is that a word? :) ) it and the integrity check was successful!

(Note:--I went back and tested Norton's Iomega USB driver and discovered that it too will mount the Lexar Multi-Card Reader if a memory card is in the reader before booting.)

8.  This driver is the same one mentioned in this thread:  http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10759...  

and is referenced in the Ghost Guide here at the bottom of the page:  http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_caveat.htm

So based on the information in this thread, the Panasonic driver appears to work fine with a NOTEBOOK & PCMIA CARD USB hardware.

MY PRINTER IS HP 1010 LASER JET

i WANT DOS PRINT HOW IT'S POSSIBLE JUST SUGEST ME. PL.

AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE

Remember, your mileage may vary--this is what worked on my system.

I'm hoping El_Pescador is willing and able to try this out on his two USB 2.0 external enclosure kits to let us know if this works for those, and if the performance changes any.  See here:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10941...

IP Logged

dgroover
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Avon, IN

Reply #27 - Jul 5th, 2005 at 5:43pm

A made 2 floppys to boot to DOS by following the previous posts.  I am having trouble with the usbaspi.sys driver.  When it loads it says "target USB device not found.  Everything else loads fine.  I have a PCI USB 2.0 card conntected to a WD 120 GB external hard drive. I bought this as a single unit and not a hard drive and mounted into an enclosure.  The hard drive is formatted in NTFS.  It worked fine with Ghost 9.0.  I uninstalled 9.0 and went back to 2003.  Does anyone have any ideas?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #28 - Jul 5th, 2005 at 6:08pm

dgroover

I have a similar setup, PCI USB 2.0 controller card and a Iomega USB 2.0 HDD, and it finds the HDD without a problem.

Things you might try:

1.  make sure the HDD is plugged in and running before booting

2.  try different USB plug-in ports on the PCI card if you have more than one to see if that helps

3.  do you have a USB memory card reader?  Put a memory card in the card reader and connect it to the PCI controller--now boot to DOS--does the memory card get assigned a drive letter and do you have access to the memory card in DOS?

4.  is that the only error message?  If you press F8 during boot, you can select a step-by-step boot of each line of config.sys and autoexec.bat and it pauses after each line executes to see what load or error messages occur.

Post back with your results.

IP Logged

dgroover
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Avon, IN

Reply #29 - Jul 5th, 2005 at 8:04pm

NightOwl,

1. Yes the hard drive is powered on and up to speed.
2. Different ports did not make a difference.  I did plug the
    HD cable into the USB port attached to the MOBO and it
    did find it.
3.  No memory card reader.
4. I get "Target USB device not found".  After is tries to load
   di1000dd.sys is says ASPI driver not loaded.

I played with the software switches on the usbaspi.sys driver.
It will tell me bad parameter when I use /e.  I hope I (we) can solve this problem.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 20
Send Topic Print