Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9.0 rescue disk (Read 149711 times)
texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Ghost 9.0 rescue disk
Reply #15 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 11:35am

You should be getting a Windows looking interface.

If you go to restore a partition backed up by Ghost 9.0 you get one type of restore dialog.  If you go to restore a parition backed up by Ghost 2003 you get the classic Ghost 2003 interface.

IP Logged

fawny1
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 7:58pm

Oh well with the restore disk booting into dos <or I guess is dos> it was the black and grey interface identical to the one I am used to in ghost 2003

I am just glad now I have my money back and my full package should be here soon.  Hopefully then it will work like it is supposed to.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice

IP Logged

George Lambson

Reply #17 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 2:39pm

Did you ever get your Recovery CD for SystemWorks Premeir 2005?

IP Logged

fawny1
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 1:49pm

Roll Eyes

No I am still waiting

IP Logged

RangerGord

Reply #19 - Apr 18th, 2005 at 1:13am

Hi, I am in a similar boat. I bought my copy of System Works Premier off ebay and received just one CD. There's nothing on it to indicate how to make a Recovery CD. I wrote back to the guys who sold it to me and of course no answer. So, if you find out how to get a copy it would be appreciated to let us know. Can anyone create an iso version and post it?

Up-the-same-creek

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #20 - Apr 18th, 2005 at 1:44pm

Fawny1, the recovery environment is available on the Norton Ghost CD or on the Symantec Recovery Disk CD (part of Norton SystemWorks Premier).  See pages 14-15 in the Norton Ghost 9.0 User's Guide for troubleshooting assistance on booting from this CD.  Note that it does take one or two minutes to boot into the Recovery Environment - it's not fast, but fortunately you only need to do this when performing a restore of your system partition.

When you boot into the Recovery Environment, you should see a Symantec menu offering several options, such as "Advanced Recovery Tasks" and "Utilities".  Note that the phrase "Recovery Disk" is not a reference to a diskette, but to a CD disc.

You should not be seeing any Ghost 2003 screens when booting into the Recovery Environment.  I suspect that someone has given you the wrong (or a defective) copy of the Symantec Recovery Disk CD.

IP Logged

RodD
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

canada

Reply #21 - Apr 24th, 2005 at 12:41am

i really hope that there is some response to this as I have the version 9.0 now and do have a Recovery Disk and as demonstrated on a trial by my sibling tech, it is far more user friendly than the 2003 version that he helped me with.

We have cloned notebooks, actually 4 of them and i am at this moment watching what he is doing off from my PC.

Am interested in this Boot Disk dialogue!!???

Cheers

IP Logged

ST

Reply #22 - May 1st, 2005 at 12:10am

I too didn't get my Recovery DC with Systemsworks Premier. Does anyone have an ISO file that they could share? I am told from the shop I bought it that it could take a month or two to fix, and I'd rather get this thing going. I have 10 pcs to clone within the next week.

Thanks,

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #23 - May 1st, 2005 at 12:35am

ST -

Up until last Thursday PM, for less than $7.00 USD (after rebates) you could have had a boxed version of Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 with Recovery Disk and all delivered to your door in less than four days - tops - anywhere in the Lower 48:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11143...

Moreover, this is the second time they ran this special in less than ten weeks.

El Pescador

IP Logged

Kumar

Reply #24 - May 1st, 2005 at 10:03am

Not sure about Systemworks, but I bought the oem version of Ghost 9.0 and it comes with one disc, which doubles as the install disc and the recovery boot disc. 

The recovery environment is Windows PE.  You know if you have the recovery boot disc by browsing the disc and looking for the Windows PE files/directories, such as:

winbom.ini
win51
win51ip
win51ip.sp1
\i386
\Documents and Settings

The recovery environment isn't that good - all it does is let you restore, not create images like with the old Ghost. To create a lousy image you have to load the hulking 100mb windows program and the bloated .Net framework. And forget about ghosting from the network - you only get that if you can lay out $$$ for the corporate edition.  Of course you know they made it all like this because of copyright issues and the fact that they don't have much competition anymore - who needs to make a good product when there isn't much competition (Acronis True Image 8.0 is a better product which gives full functionality from boot environment, but their support is horrible and initial release was buggy).

The one plus about this Symantec product (Ghost 9.0 oem or retail standalone) is that it allows you to activate it by just inputting the serial number (like in the old days of installing software) -which means you can install/reinstall on multiple machines - you don't have to "phone home" to activate it like Norton Antivirus and most other Symantec products.  I suspect this is the case with this product only because it is really PowerQuest Drive Image, and maybe Symantec didn't have the time to rework the activation scheme.   Of course the product is so big and annoying that most people won't even want to install and use it once. 

Symantec products stink  (Norton antivirus 2004 trashed my system - then wouldn't reinstall claiming I had "used up" my activation - mind you, it was a brand new product just installed - i didn't even bother to call them to beg to let me install it - screw them) - nothing like the old days where Norton was a name one associated with innovative products the techie/"hardcore" lover of technology could truly appreciate.

Unfortunately there are no other imaging products on the market right now that are worth a damn.   Symantec has us all right where they want us.   Acronis True Image looks promising, but it is still too much of an immature/beta-like product which needs it's kinks worked out.  And don't even think about going back to real Ghost (Ghost 2003) - as nice as that idea sounds, it doesn't work for large usb disks, and there are issues backing up to usb ntfs disks, and other legacy related kinks.  Ghost (real ghost) was a great product in it's day that worked for the hardware/software of it's day - unfortunately nothing is out there that works well/reliably for the legacy free systems of today.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #25 - May 1st, 2005 at 1:36pm

Quote:
"... And don't even think about going back to real Ghost (Ghost 2003) - as nice as that idea sounds, it doesn't work for large usb disks, and there are issues backing up to usb ntfs disks, and other legacy related kinks.  Ghost (real ghost) was a great product in it's day that worked for the hardware/software of it's day - unfortunately nothing is out there that works well/reliably for the legacy free systems of today..."

Kumar

Well, it is hard for me to know where to start in response - so, I simply won't because I have to start preparing to leave my family behind while I go on the road tomorrow and consequently will be offline for a while.  All I will say at this point is that there are snippets of partial fact above, but the broad statements are patently
"urban legend"
and can be readily refuted with a thorough search of counterpoints I have posted on these boards in 2004 and 2005 to date.

El Pescador

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #26 - May 1st, 2005 at 1:58pm

Kumar, I noticed that you criticized Ghost 9.0 because it uses the .NET framework.  The same observation has been made by others on this forum and elsewhere.

Other than the fact that the .NET framework uses a (trivial) amount of disk capacity, what's the issue?  Please help me understand why conforming to a Microsoft standard is a 'negative' attribute of a tool.

IP Logged

Richard
Ex Member

Reply #27 - May 1st, 2005 at 4:22pm

With all the bellyaching and griping about Ghost 9 I gotta ask is there any good reason to not stick with Ghost 2003?  I don't do anything that complicated so I may not miss some features unique to Ghost 9- but what are they? 

Now with some help from you guys I can boot directly into DOS from a CD (although I can't add mouse support since everything on the Cd is in a Ghost image) and Ghost 2003 loads and awaits my command.

Even if Symantec dropped all support for Ghost 2003 some day ghost.exe will always be around to make and restore images.
Richard

IP Logged

Kumar

Reply #28 - May 2nd, 2005 at 4:14am

Richard,  if you have Ghost 2003 and it works for you - stick with it.  It is still a better product than Ghost 9.0, mainly because it is small, and allows you to easily boot from a floppy to create or restore your image.

However, IMO if a consumer has never used/doesn't own Ghost 2003, it doesn't make sense to go buy/learn how to use an outdated product, which may or may not work properly with their system. Some posters will say the opposite, but from my experience Ghost 2003 doesn't work properly/easily with ALL usb/firewire external drives ALL of the time.   Remember, it is an outdated, unsupported DOS based program, and comes with all the limitations of DOS.

If someone doesn't have a copy of old Ghost and absolutely has to go out and get a DOS based imaging program right now, they should download Terabyte Unlimited's Image for DOS - it is a current/supported product, works great and is free to try (for personal use) for as long as you want (no expiration date).  It does require that you have some level of tech ability, especially if you need a more precise/nonstandard configuration (although it does have a gui, you can't configure via the gui like Ghost 2003 - options are configured from the command line).

The other option, as I stated previously, is Acronis True Image 8.0  - even with some of the issues, it still is better than Ghost 9.0 - it's cheaper than Ghost 9.0 (retail), and it allows you to create images from the (linux based) boot disc environment.  It has received many good reviews from the various tech sites (received the Cnet's editor's choice).

IMO, there is no overwhelming favorite - no "killer app" in the category of disk imaging.  Maybe the next release of Ghost or Acronis True Image will blow us all away.   If Symantec makes Ghost 10 more reliable and allows the user to create fully functional boot discs, it may reclaim the imaging crown.  If Acronis polishes their product and improves support, they may pull away from Ghost.    What these companies need to focus more on is the basics:  manual image creation/restoration, manual creation of boot discs , disaster scenarios.  All of the other options are nice (backup scheduling, mounting images, hot imaging, etc) but if the basics are missing or aren't reliable, the extras are irrelevant.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #29 - May 2nd, 2005 at 6:38am

Some other imaging apps can be run from BartPE. USB external hard drives can be reliably used for imaging and restoring and BartPE works with SATA drives too. SATA drivers can be added to the CD. A floppy drive isn't needed.
Applications which have a working plugin include Ghost 2003, Image for Windows, Drive Image 2002, Drive Snapshot and Paragon Hard Disk Manager.

Brian

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print