Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 doesn't show all partitions (Read 52793 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Ghost 2003 doesn't show all partitions
Reply #15 - Apr 29th, 2005 at 1:45am

"Hell - don't give up now, Bubba - we all got way too much time invested in your 'miseries'..."

... check your Private Message box for an 'offer you can't refuse' !!!

El Pescador

P.S. Exactly which make and model PCI-to-USB Host Adapter Card did you try to use with the WD external HDD ?

P.P.S. For one time only, you have to install MS-DOS from a WIN 98SE bootable floppy while in the Norton environment - we can arrange that very easily to boot !!!

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Apr 29th, 2005 at 10:23pm

Got the PCI-USB card locally - it seems to be generic 4 ext./1 internal 2.0 compliant (has certified USB Tm logo). Installed drivers from cd supplied to HD.
-Booting with Ghost disk shows all partitions BUT not ext. HD.
So can't save image to it.
-Using Ghost Wizard in Windows it reads: Disk 1 (int. HD #1) - but only shows 3 of 7 partitions; Disk 2 (int. HD #2) - showing 1 of 1 partitions; & Disk 3 (the ext. HD).
So I could image 3 partitions to the ext. HD (but would omit the other 4).

IF booting w/ Ghost disk ever recognizes the ext. HD then problem solved....

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2005 at 2:30am

Billy -

Take the PCI-to-USB card out of the PC and go outside in the bright sunlight with both it and some sort of magnifying glass.  There should be a square or nearly-square black or very dark gray computer chip (maybe more than one) mounted on it.  It may take some doing, but transcribe the exact lettering off the chip(s) by tilting the card around for a better view.

If you see the characters
'NEC'
anywhere, you are in real good shape right off the bat.  Anyhow, post what you find back here when you get a chance (hopefully, some factory numbnutz did not obscure the legend with a Magic Marker as they sometimes do - then, you are simply out of luck for eyeballing the encoding).

El Pescador

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #18 - Apr 30th, 2005 at 10:20pm

Billy -

CLICK HERE to download the
Belarc Advisor v6.1f
.  It will reveal the technical details about the USB host and device controllers necessary to make Norton Ghost 2003 jibe with your external HDD.

El Pescador

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - May 1st, 2005 at 12:11am

Belarc provides this on Bus Adaptors -

Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller 1
Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller 2
VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

Haven't had chance to remove card & look for numbers/lettering yet.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #20 - May 1st, 2005 at 1:07am

Quote:
" ...VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller..."

piikea

Well, Billy, don't bother checking for lettering on the chipsets as I know now what you got.  The GOOD news is that you now have USB 2.0 capability for sure; the BAD news is that the PCI-to-USB host adapter card controller is VIA-compliant and not NEC-compliant.  There are at least four (probably more!) separate and distinct USB controller host types to my knowledge - NEC versus ALi, SiS and VIA - but NEC-compliant seems most amenable to Norton Ghost 2003 operations (see below):

Quote:
"... However, you really do need a PCI-to-USB 2.0 host controller adapter card that is
genuinely USB 2.0 NEC-compliant
."

"... I am very close to absolutely confident that Ghost 2003 will work with your rig provided that you buy either: (1) the
Koutech I/O Future IO-PU520 5-port Hi-Speed USB 2.0 card
; or (2) the
SIIG Model US2286 USB 2.0 Dual-Port PCI
.  My confidence stems from the fact that both have proven themselves on my Dimension 8100 with four different USB 2.0 external HDD enclosure kits. The 2-port SIIG moved on to doing the same job in a Dell Dimension L400c when it was replaced by the 5-port Koutech."

I do not hold out much hope of that VIA-compliant USB controller card doing the job for you.  It might, but it would really surprise me it did - the only thing that might help is that the drivers included with it are the latest and greatest.

El Pescador

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - May 2nd, 2005 at 3:06pm

Yes, I gambled on getting the card locally (quicker) instead of the exact one you suggested. I lost that gamble as it works as a card but not for purposes of using ext. HD w/ Ghost as I needed it to. Live & learn. The Ghost nightmare continues.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #22 - May 2nd, 2005 at 4:32pm

piikea

Quote:
NightOwl's "universal USB driver" seems a bit too involved for me.

But it might just rescue you from your 'gamble'.  

Be glad to help you through the steps if you want to try!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #23 - May 5th, 2005 at 9:42pm

Quote:
"... The Ghost nightmare continues."

piikea

Two sets of Norton Ghost Boot Wizard Disaster Recovery Disks based on MS-DOS - plus an enhanced Windows 98SE boot disk - were dispatched from Bayou Country, USA before noon last Monday (May 2nd) via USPS Priority Mail.  One pair is based on the Norton/Iomega USB drivers, and the other on NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine.

Both were thoroughly tested before shipping on Dell Dimension 8n00 series desktops - and the Norton/Iomega drivers malfunctioned on the 8300 just as you have been describing all along, BUT NightOwl's 'tweak' worked perfectly in both environments.

NightOwl's notion just might function with the VIA-compliant host controller.  Just remember -
"It ain't over 'til its over!!!"
  Watch your 'snail-mail'.  

CLICK HERE for the next step in the event that the DOS-based set of diskettes with Panasonic drivers do indeed work for you.

El Pescador

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - May 5th, 2005 at 10:29pm

Recieved the disks (quite an endeavor for you - thanks for going to the trouble).
Forgive my ignorance from here as I try to figure out how to utilize them.
I read the "next step..." link about copying .sys files (off of 1 of the disks?) to Ghost(?) on the internal HD(?). Then re-create a new Ghost boot diskette(?).
The driver(s) are used from the disk(?) or copied to internal HD(?) or ext. HD(?) or Ghost boot disk(?).
Just got them & starting to look into it so perhaps I'll figure it out but at this point it is not clear to me (maybe it should be?)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #25 - May 5th, 2005 at 11:11pm

Billy -

Just turn your computer off, then put Disk 1 of 2 from either MS-DOS set in your floppy drive.  Next, power up - if your floppy drive is in the correct boot sequence, Ghost 2003 should start operating in the DOS-based mode - then, simply follow the onscreen directions.  When you get the blue and gray Ghost screen, click on OK and perform Local > Check > Disk to see if the WD external HDD is evident.  If it is not, then back out - quit - and boot from Disk 1 of 2 from the other set to go at it again.

Be advised that you are now operating in the 'classic' Ghost mode - there is no need to prepare it to work -
it is working in the purest sense.

El Pescador

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #26 - May 21st, 2005 at 2:10pm

El P -
Success! The Panasonic USB driver floppy DID work! My Western Digital ext. HD is now recognized by Ghost.
The Norton/Iomega disk DID NOT get it recognized.

So - the Panasonic "universal" drivers disk does work (with my components anyway).

Thanks El P again for all your help & efforts. Also to NightOwl for your offers.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #27 - May 21st, 2005 at 3:23pm

Quote:
"... Thanks El P again for all your help & efforts. Also to NightOwl for your offers..."

piikea

Billy -

You have helped me more than you know, for you have demonstrably reported the first instance that I am aware of where
the device controller drivers of a "purpose-built" USB 2.0 external HDD
have failed to function in the DOS-based mode of Ghost 2003, and will be vulnerable during some Norton Partition Magic 8.0 operations.  Moreover, this infers that it certainly will then be stymied in transitioning from "Windows-to-DOS-to-Windows".

I wish I could give NightOwl a physical
"high-five"
along about now, but he will just have to settle for a virtual version !!!

El Pescador

Kowabonga, Buffalo Bob !!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print