Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 doesn't show all partitions (Read 52812 times)
Billy

Ghost 2003 doesn't show all partitions
Apr 21st, 2005 at 1:58am

New to Ghost & have unsuccessfully searched for answer to this problem: when trying to create a backup - it only lists 3 of the 7 partitions on my 80GB HD. I was finally able to get it to recognize the external USB drive I intend to save to but have not actually tried creating an image yet (so unsure if other problems await....). No sense only backing up half the system! What am I missing?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost 2003 doesn't show all partitions
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 3:18am

Billy

More details--

Which version of Ghost?

DOS Ghost or Windows Ghost?

Where in Ghost are you when you don't see the other partitions listed?

What OS are you using?

What file system--are all the partitions the same--or different?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Amish.
Technoluster

Dude! (Rad in SeaMonkey)

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 3:23am

There was another thread that mentioned something about this, but I caan't find it. The solution I think was to use the arrow keys to scroll down to find more drives listed.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 2:20pm

Quote:
"... The solution I think was to use the arrow keys to scroll down to find more drives listed..."

amish

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10828...

The thread referenced above needs to be read very carefully in its entirety; my initial post only revealed the problem, but final resolution is contained in the replies downstream 8)

El Pescador

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 2:29pm

Quote:
"... I was finally able to get it to recognize the external USB drive I intend to save to..."

Billy

Billy -

USB 2.0 external hard drives can be troublesome.  I have both a Dell Dimension 8100 running XP Home Edition and a Dell Dimension 8300 running XP Professional - and the USB 2.0 ports on the systemboard of the latter can be very troublesome - so much so in fact that even NightOwl's marvelous Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine is of no avail under some circumstances.  The URL and image below both reveal the poisonous USB 2.0 controller:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11065...

Before you get fired up, come back here to reveal the particulars of both your
USB host controller(s)
and your
USB device controller(s)
gathered in the following manner:

(1) go to Desktop and right click on My Computer;

(2) drop down to left click on Manage;

(3) in left pane, expand System Tools;

(4) in left pane, drop down to left click on Device Manager;

(5) for both USB controllers and mass storage devices in right pane, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers;

(6) for USB Mass Storage Devices, go to (7) - else for USB 2.0 controllers, focus on those lines containing either the abbreviation
'USB2'
or the word
'Enhanced'
;

(7) right click on any such lines that drop down, then left click on Properties;

(8) left click on the Details tab;

(9) left click on the dropdown menu containing Device Instance Id; and

(10) left click on
Hardware Ids
and carefully transcribe the last two lines in the window. To be overly generous, drop down two more lines and repeat for
Matching Device Id

The image below reveals the functional USB 2.0 controller on the Macally PHR-100A enclosure:

El Pescador

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 4:04pm

NightOwl-
>Ghost2003.
>In DOS Ghost lists all partitions but NOT ext. USB HD to save to.
>In Windows (Me - ugg!) Ghost doesn't show all partitions in order to image (or Clone) them; DOES show 3 (of 7 partitions) on int. HD 1, int. HD 2 (which isn't partitioned) & the ext. USB HD.
>All partitions same - FAT32.

In DOS - using arrow keys shows all partitions but NOT ext. USB HD.

El_Pescador -
Dell Dimension 8100

Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers there are 2:

Intel 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Serial Bus Controller 1
Intel 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Serial Bus Controller 2

Right clicking each>Properties>there is General, Advanced, Drivers, Resources.

Right clicking USB Mass Storage Device>Properties>get General & Driver Tabs.

2 USB Root Hubs, right clicking each>Properties>there is General, Power & Driver.

Do not see 'USB2', 'Enhanced', a "details" tab, Device Instance Id, Hardware Ids, or Matching Device Id so can't provide you w/ those particulars...

My ext. USB HD is 2.0 (& supports 1.1); unsure about internal pc components. I tried both USB 1.1 & 2.0 support in Ghost but neither worked.

Hope these details give you something to go on.....thanks!

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 6:00pm

Quote:
"... Dell Dimension 8100... Do not see 'USB2', 'Enhanced'..."

piikea

My first P4 was a Dell Dimension 8100, and it is still in service serving as the anchor for my 4-PC LAN.  Judging by your remarks above, it looks like your onboard ports are USB 1.1 only just like mine.  I had to add USB 2.0 capability with a PCI-to-USB 2.0 host controller adapter card.  I ordered the Koutech I/O Future IO-PU520 5-port Hi-Speed USB 2.0 card from NewEgg.com which cost less than $15 delivered, and I am now absolutely certain that it is DOS-based Norton Ghost 2003 compatible (click URL below):

http://www.koutech.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=111

My previous instructions were a botched "cut-and-paste" job from a previous post.  You might want to take another shot at revealing the particulars of both your
USB host controller(s)
and your
USB device controller(s)
gathered in the following manner:

(1) go to Desktop and right click on My Computer;

(2) drop down to left click on Manage;

(3) in left pane, expand System Tools;

(4) in left pane, drop down to left click on Device Manager;

(5) for both USB controllers and mass storage devices in right pane, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers;

(6) for USB Mass Storage Devices, skip down to (7) - else for USB 2.0 controllers, focus on those lines containing either the abbreviation
'USB2'
or the word
'Enhanced'
, then go to (7);

(7) right click on any such lines that drop down, then left click on Properties;

(8) left click on the Details tab;

(9) left click on the dropdown menu containing Device Instance Id; and

(10) left click on
Hardware Ids
and carefully transcribe the last two lines in the window. To be overly generous, drop down two more lines and repeat for
Matching Device Id

The image below reveals the functional USB 2.0 controller on the Macally PHR-100A enclosure:

El Pescador

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 6:58pm

Still unable to reveal the particulars of  USB host controller(s) & USB device controller(s). I will perhaps look into PCI-to-USB 2.0 host controller you mentioned (though not but so computer capable).
The ext. USB HD is recognized ok & accessible by the pc itself w/o difficulty (as are other USB plug & play devices) just not Ghost.
Thanks for the suggestions.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 7:28pm

piikea

Not sure, but I think WinME's device manager will not show the same information as what El_Pescador has posted and asked for.

Quote:
The ext. USB HD is recognized ok & accessible by the pc itself w/o difficulty (as are other USB plug & play devices) just not Ghost.

USB is technically a Windows based protocol--so it's supposed to work fine under Windows.  USB under DOS--the compatibility depends on the author of the USB DOS driver.

Not every USB Controller + USB HDD combination is compatible with Norton Ghost's DOS USB driver.  See here for a non-Ghost DOS USB driver that has shown itself to be more 'universally' compatible with Ghost and DOS USB:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10954...

But, USB 1.x is going to be deadly slow compared to USB 2.0!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 9:04pm

Quote:
"... The ext. USB HD is recognized ok & accessible by the pc itself w/o difficulty (as are other USB plug & play devices) just not Ghost..."

piikea

My first Norton Ghost 2003 BackUps were of C: partition images alone on a Dell Dimension 8100 and were performed from USB 1.1 ports - even without an Integrity Check, they took almost seven hours.  When I got my act together with a NEC-compliant USB 2.0 host adapter, the task took just over half an hour - including an organic Integrity Check.

What is the brand, model and capacity of your USB external HDD ?

El Pescador

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 10:14pm

It is a Western Digital USB 2.0 External Hard 80 GB - Hi-Speed USB - WDXUL800BBNN.

NightOwl's "universal USB driver" seems a bit too involved for me. Might have to switch to a different ghosting software.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 10:41pm

Quote:
"... It is a Western Digital USB 2.0 External Hard 80 GB - Hi-Speed USB - WDXUL800BBNN..."

piikea

I strongly suspect the WD bridge chipset/device controller set-up will be USB 2.0 NEC-compliant and will accommodate the Norton/Iomega USB drivers just fine.  Don't worry; be happy - even in the event that they don't:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11041...

However, you really do need a PCI-to-USB 2.0 host controller adapter card that is genuinely USB 2.0 NEC-compliant.

El Pescador

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 2:29pm

El_Pescador wrote on Apr 21st, 2005 at 10:41pm:
I strongly suspect the WD bridge chipset/device controller set-up will be USB 2.0 NEC-compatible and will accommodate the Norton/Iomega USB drivers just fine.  

El Pescador

Just to be clear: You are saying with a PCI-to-USB 2.0 host controller adapter card the WD ext. USB HD should then work with Ghost?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #13 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 4:12pm

Quote:
"... Just to be clear: You are saying with a PCI-to-USB 2.0 host controller adapter card the WD ext. USB HD should then work with Ghost?"

piikea

I am very close to absolutely confident that Ghost 2003 will work with your rig
provided
that you buy either: (1) the Koutech I/O Future IO-PU520 5-port Hi-Speed USB 2.0 card; or (2) the SIIG Model US2286 USB 2.0 Dual-Port PCI.  My confidence stems from the fact that both have proven themselves on my Dimension 8100 with four different USB 2.0 external HDD enclosure kits.  The 2-port SIIG moved on to doing the same job in a Dell Dimension L400c when it was replaced by the 5-port Koutech.

Either of the USB 2.0 NEC-compliant PCI-to-USB cards above give you a solid footing on the
host
end of the bridge (CLICK HERE).  In the highly unlikely event that the WD external drive is not Norton/Iomega USB driver compatible, NightOwl's technique will provide you solid footing on the
device
end of the bridge (CLICK HERE).

So, it seems you now have a
"Slam Dunk" !!!

El Pescador

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 10:51pm

Sadly, installation of a PCI-to-USB card still doesn't get Ghost to recognize the ext. HD. Looking at "options" in Ghost : only PC-DOS is available (MS-DOS is greyed out) so even getting into the (too complicated for me) steps for creating universal driver isn't possible.
My conclusion is Ghost is a worthless piece of software. This amount of work simply to get it to work using the most obvious & sensible (size-wise) place to save a backup TO (i.e., an ext. HD) is absurd.
To those that Ghost works on their system, more power to ya.
Anybody wanna buy my Ghost cd (cheap!)?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print