Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Repartioning newbie question starting from day one (Read 29655 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Repartioning newbie question starting from day
Reply #15 - May 18th, 2005 at 8:11pm

chuckychez

Good plan!

Are you installing a stand-alone version of Ghost 9.x?

If 'yes', did you get a second CD that says 'Recovery Disk'?

Or, did you get just the single installation CD?

If just the single CD--can you put that in your optical drive, re-boot, and does it boot the system into Ghost's 'recovery environment?  Trying that will do no harm--after booting, exit and remove the CD and re-boot to WinXP.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

chuckychez
Ex Member

Reply #16 - May 19th, 2005 at 9:20pm

Night Owl
No I did not purchease the Norton system suite with ghost 9x in there I got the stand alone ghost 9.x
Quote : your post was as follows
a.  shrink E: to 50 GB- -take 50 GB's from the F: side of the E: partition--hit the 'Apply' button,
and so now the E: partition is 50 GB's total  with 30 GB's of free space on the left side
and 50 GB's of free space on right side of the E: partition. 30 gig total free space
b.  move D: partition over to the right up against the E: partition--I hit the 'Apply button
So now the free space is on the left side of the D: partition
30  gig free space is on the left side of the D partition
c.  shrink the Extended Partition from the left side next to the C: partition--and hit the 'Apply button'
I have to shrink the Extended Partition  because the 30 GB's of 'free space' is inside the the Extended Partition initially.
I can not add that 'free space' to the C: partition  until it is outside the Extended Partition and next to the C: partition.
d.  Now the 30 GB's of 'free space' is outside the Extended Partition, and next to the C: partition.
And I now can expand the C: partition to the right to include that 'free space'-
I  now can hit the 'Apply' button.
Now I have added the 30 GB's to the C: partition.
So c primary drive is now 40 gig
And E partition is  now 100 Gig
e.  Back in step a. I  shrank partition E: on the right side by 50 GB's.  
So, I did  not have to 'delete' any partitions--and I do not have to restore any partitions if all has gone well using PartitionMagic.
How would you change the step by step procedure
if I changed the plan to this instead of the above
1- delete the D partition 70 gb
2- leave the F drive intact 24 gig
3- leave the E partition intact at 130 gig as it
4- add the 70 gig of unallocated gig
gained from the deleted D partition to my C drive
making my c drive 80 gig
Its going to be a big C drive now but by the same token
I don't need more then 130 gig on my e partition
Embarrassed

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - May 20th, 2005 at 12:01am

chuckychez, I have to agree with NightOwl regarding installing the software and playing with the settings. Partition Magic makes no changes to your computer unless you click Apply. So you can resize partitions etc and practice without anything really happening.

Partitioning is a secondary goal for you at present. Install Ghost first and make some images.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #18 - May 20th, 2005 at 7:37pm

chuckychez

Quote:
No I did not purchease the Norton system suite with ghost 9x in there I got the stand alone ghost 9.x

So, what's the answer to these questions, if you would be so kind:

Quote:
Are you installing a stand-alone version of Ghost 9.x?

(You already answered 'Yes'.)

If 'yes', did you get a second CD that says 'Recovery Disk'?

Or, did you get just the single installation CD?

If just the single CD--can you put that in your optical drive, re-boot, and does it boot the system into Ghost's 'recovery environment?  Trying that will do no harm--after booting, exit and remove the CD and re-boot to WinXP.

Quote:
How would you change the step by step procedure if I changed the plan to this instead of the above

1.  Delete D:, (you will have to confirm you want to do this by typing 'ok' in a box as requested by PartitionMagic) press 'Apply'

2.  Shrink Extended Partition from the left until it's against E:, press 'Apply'  (this gets that 70 GB from inside the Extended Partition to the outside of the Extended Partition--now the 'free space' is next to the C: partition)

3.  Expand the C: partition to include that 70 GB's, press 'Apply'

You're done!  But when you boot to WinXP, you will not have a D: drive listed any longer.  You can use 'Disk Management' to re-assign drive letters if you want them as D: and E: instead of E: and F:.

But, if you have installed any programs to E: and/or F: that have Registry entries that reference those drive letters, changing them with Disk Management will not change the Registry entries, and you will get 'program not found' or 'file not found' errors.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

chuckychez
Ex Member

Reply #19 - May 20th, 2005 at 8:13pm

Hi Night Owl , am I glad to hear from you !
Ok I got two cd's in the box one of them says may be used as an emergency disk , retrieve files, scan for virus's , errors,   restore backup  with symantec recovery disk
and the other just says norton ghost 9.0
I spent all day today preparing for ghost , I backed  up my D partition on a brand new gold archival mitsui cd r multisession job  and I also unistalled encarta from my c drive so I will have more room in the C drive ,Now I got 1.31 G B unused space on the C drive (10GB)  and I uninstalled every thing from my E partition a 1 gig game chessmaster tenth edition and copys of all my folders from the D partition .
So all my partitions are empty , I am going to take a break now and do the scary ghost and usb2hdd  stuff tommorow and sunday .

IP Logged

chuckychez
Ex Member

Reply #20 - May 20th, 2005 at 8:28pm

Hi again
Night Owl , I was just wondering doesn't PM 8 automatically change the drive letters , so if  D partition Is deleted doesn't E partition automatically change its drive letter to D from E and then F would change to E , and F would go to one of my optical drive and so on down the line with a letter given to the usb 2 hdd as well
I have no idea but I was just wondering if PM 8 does so much maybe it does that also ?

Also so the verdict is If I had installed that Chess game with tons of files (over one gig) and today I unistalled it and now the E partition shows 0 gig that does not mean I am home free . I suppose that still means I would not be able to change the partition/drive letters from E to D , so that means I will have E partition but no D partition at all because I won't be able to do it  with windows disk manager if PM does not do it ?
I suppose even tho I unistalled  the game,  there  still must be plenty files( broken and orphed files ) in the registry
I know in add remove unistalling the game there was user something or other that I could not uninstall from the chess game ..I kept getting a message " are you sure you want to unistall this user something " Well who is sure of anything with computers .... Smiley

IP Logged

chuckychez
Ex Member

Reply #21 - May 20th, 2005 at 8:52pm

Although Symantec products can be used to create partitions, they do not make drive letter assignments for Windows 9xEx Member or DOS. This is a function of the operating system.
When DOS or Windows assigns drive letters in a dual-hard-drive system, they do so in the following order (starting at drive letter C):

The first primary active partition on the first physical drive
The first active primary partition on the second physical drive
Logical partitions on the first physical drive
Logical partitions on the second physical drive
Additional visible primary partitions on the first physical drive
Additional visible primary partitions on the second physical drive
CD-ROM and any other removable media drives

Because the CD-ROM is one of the last drives to receive a letter, any partitions that are created or deleted on any of your hard drives will affect the drive letter assignment of your CD-ROM drive. Therefore, any programs that refer to your CD-ROM drive at its current letter will no longer work after you create or delete partitions until you change your pointers for the programs or reinstall the programs.

What will happen to my CD-ROM drive letter if I create a new partition?
When you create a new partition on a Windows 9.x system, the CD-ROM is assigned the next available drive letter after your hard drive partitions. To prevent the drive letter from changing in the future, you may want to assign a higher drive letter such as M or N to the CD-ROM when in DOS or Windows 95. On Windows NT/2000/XP, new partitions will take the next available drive letter, leaving the CD-ROM drive letter intact.
Thats why I don't like to go to the symantec web site to try to find out anything , I can't make heads or tails out of thier documents , this is a good example of what I mean ....
PS :I have no idea how the red with chuckychez got on the post , I tried to get it off but I could not !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - May 21st, 2005 at 12:41am

chuckychez wrote on May 20th, 2005 at 8:52pm:
e

Because the CD-ROM is one of the last drives to receive a letter, any partitions that are created or deleted on any of your hard drives will affect the drive letter assignment of your CD-ROM drive. Therefore, any programs that refer to your CD-ROM drive at its current letter will no longer work after you create or delete partitions until you change your pointers for the programs or reinstall the programs.

!

I always change my CD drive to Z: in Disk Management. Then it can't be changed by creating new partitions and is always easy to remember.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #23 - May 21st, 2005 at 4:09am

Quote:
"... I always change my CD drive to Z: in Disk Management. Then it can't be changed by creating new partitions and is always easy to remember..."

Brian

I did the same thing on my Dell Dimension 8100 with its internal IDE/ATA 250MB ZIP drive ...
Z for ZIP !!!

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #24 - May 21st, 2005 at 4:41am

chuckychez

Quote:
I got two cd's in the box one of them says may be used as an emergency disk , retrieve files, scan for virus's , errors,   restore backup  with symantec recovery disk

Okay, thanks--so your stand alone Ghost 9.x package has a 2nd Recovery Disk like Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier.

Quote:
I was just wondering doesn't PM 8 automatically change the drive letters

As you stated in your next reply # 20, the drive letters are not assigned by PartitionMagic, but by the OS. 

In WinXP (and Win2000, WinNT--i.e. these are the 'NT-based' OS's), the drive letters are 'remembered' by the OS--so once WinXP has booted for the first time and 'seen' the HDD's and optical drives--it determines their 'unique device ID' and the drive letter assignment is written to the Registry.  These drive letters are then 'reserved' for every future boot, unless you somehow change the registry information.

For instance, I have a USB 2.0 HDD that I hook up only when I use it to store a Ghost image on it.  It's drive letter L: in WinXP.  When I disconnect it, drive letter L: no longer shows if I look in Windows Explorer--but the drive letters M:, N:, O:, and P: are assigned to my memory multi-card reader are still present and still the same drive letter assignments.  When I hook up the USB HDD again later, it's assignment of L: is used again.

But, in DOS (or Win9x orWinME), these OS's do not record the unique ID of devices that get drive letter assigned, and do not record drive letter assignments to the Registry.  So, each time you boot to these OS's, the drive letters are assign again on re-boot.  The drive letter assignment will depend on which device it is, and where it's located on the controllers for the device.

In your reply #21 above, you have listed the order that devices are assigned drive letters--that's in DOS, Win9x, WinME.  And it happens each time you boot.  That means if you start changing which drive is first and which is second--the drive letters will be assigned accordingly.

Now in WinXP--the first time the system boots, the order of drive letters is assigned the same order as outlined above in reply #21--but, after that first boot, the drive letters are retained even if you change the position of the devices.  So for example if you make the first HDD 2nd, and the 2nd is now 1st--the drive letters will not change--they will follow the drive regardless of their position.

So, if you boot to DOS to use PartitionMagic, the drive letters will be assigned dynamically during boot--so if you have deleted the D: partition, yes all the drives will shift down one--that's because you are in DOS.

Re-boot to WinXP--and D: partition will be absent, and your other partitions will be as they were before--because WinXP remembers the assignments between boots!

So, different OS--different drive letter assignment outcomes!

Quote:
I suppose even tho I unistalled  the game,  there  still must be plenty files( broken and orphed files ) in the registry

If you have uninstalled the program, then even if there are 'remnants' in the Registry, as long as you do not have any program that's loading automatically during boot that's located on that partition--and you do not have the program listed in your program menu--then it's not a problem.

You can go into Disk Management and change the drive letters to whatever you want if you have no 'still installed, active' program files on the partition.  It's only if you want to leave programs on a partition that you are still going to actively use and have their location stored in the Registry that you run into problems.

Quote:

In WinXP, it will stay the same letter it was before you add a partition--because the drive letter assignment will be remembered--so a new HDD partition is going to be after the optical drive's drive letter.

In DOS--you have to load drivers that allow DOS to see the optical drive and to assign a drive letter.  If you do that--the optical drive, in DOS, will always get the last drive letter assigned, because DOS always re-assigns drive letter upon each boot.  When you load those DOS drivers, you can use a 'command line switch' for the optical drivers telling which letter to assign to the optical drive--that's what the quote from Symantec was talking about--
'To prevent the drive letter from changing in the future, you may want to assign a higher drive letter such as M or N to the CD-ROM when in DOS or Windows 95. On Windows NT/2000/XP, new partitions will take the next available drive letter, leaving the CD-ROM drive letter intact.'

If, in DOS, you do not load the drivers for the optical drive--then DOS simply will not see the optical drive, no drive letter assigned, and you can not access the optical drive.

Quote:
PS :I have no idea how the red with chuckychez got on the post , I tried to get it off but I could not !

That's a weird one!

As Brian stated:

Quote:
I always change my CD drive to Z: in Disk Management. Then it can't be changed by creating new partitions and is always easy to remember.

I go into Disk Management and change my DVD-ROM to X: and CD-writer to Y:!  And if I am using DOS and load optical drive drivers, I force DOS to start optical drive letters at X: so the drive letters are the same in DOS as in WinXP!

IP Logged

chuckychez
Ex Member

Reply #25 - May 21st, 2005 at 4:31pm

Hi all just my latest thoughts on the subject :
It never occurred to me and had no idea  that I would have any complications with the drive letters if I delete the D drive I thought pm 8 does it all automatically a no brainer ..
( that’s whats good about learning what to expect and not rushing into things and having unpleasant surprises )
Its pretty much over my head with my knowledge about computers ( not much)  changing the drive letter in xp and I am concerned that I might wind up with something I don’t like as its aftermath it’s a new pc and it’s a very expensive one so you can understand my feelings of apprehension  and since I am doing everything for the first time have no confidence in mysefl and very frightened  and knowing that computers are very unforgiving to novices , I am reluctant to go ahead with the second idea of deleting my D drive , even if I never use it for anything I might be better off keeping it  the reason for wanting to delete the D drive is because I thought it would make things easier and smoother but its just the opposite  .
So I hope I am not being a P.I.T.A but I am inclined to go with my original idea keeping D E and F and I would rather put a ton of gig on C and just keep maybe 5 or 10 gig on E and  D can stay 70 gig and F can stay 24 gig then have drive letter confusion ..
Or else  if its not risky take some gig from E and put some extra gig on D maybe a scenario like this > putting 40 gig on C taking 30 from E so E has 100 gig and taking 80 gig from E and bring 80 more gig to D 150 gig on D , but I need to do it the safest way thats the main priority  .
Thanks for your patience with me ....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print