Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Disaster Waiting to happen! (Read 3068 times)
Richw007
Ex Member

Disaster Waiting to happen!
Sep 22nd, 2005 at 10:35pm

Hello Everyone. Let me start by saying, if your boss ever suggests sacrificing fault tolerance for more disk space, don't do it.

I'm currently running Windows 2000 as a terminal server on a Gateway XEON 960X with two ST373307LC 73G Cheetah drives. Drive C has a bad block.

Check Disk has successfully marked all of the bad sectors. I've moved all the programs from drive D to drive C. I've successfully upgraded both drives to dynamic which now may have added more problems because when attempting to mirror the volumes an I/O message appears and won't complete due to the corruption on drive C.

In an attempt to reduce time I created a full backup including the system state. I've also backed up the registy both by exporting it through regedit and during the creation of repair disk.

I then reformatted drive D and attemped to restore the backup and system state to it. I then set drive D as an active partition.

When shutting down the computer and removing Drive 0 or the C drive and placing drive D at Disk 0 and placing the new drive replaced under warranty as Drive 1, the system boots past the initial loading windows screen just prior to the CTRL, ALT, Delete screen and begins a continuos reboot cycle through the same process.

I attempted to use the repair disk but got the same result. I've also tried several methods listed under microsoft's knowledge base including article; 249694, 162797, 240240, 233427, 237556, 305356, 318715, and I'm currently going through article 292175 which has always been my standard method which is an in place upgrade or clean install and then restore from backup.

I was hoping to find a quicker resolution. I had also tried using Norton Ghost 2003 but the cloning hangs when checking NTFS volume even when I use the -NTC- option. Hopefully the restore will go fine on the clean install and restore from backup but if not does anyone have any other suggestions?

I currently have two other terminal servers but one is low on drive space so can't handle many users and the other is running everything except Active Directory so it is slow as well.

After booting to the clean install the new disk which was dynamic and contained my backup, windows detects it as foriegn or unformatted because dynamic disks aren't loaded into the File Allocation Table or Partition Table as noted by Microsoft they are maintained separately. So now I will move my backup, delete the dynamic partition and set it back to a basic disk.

IP Logged

Richw007
Ex Member

Re: Disaster Waiting to happen!
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 12:14am

Well the clean install and restore worked! Hooray!

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Disaster Waiting to happen!
Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 4:11pm

Woohoo! I love when stuff works .. maybe cuz it seems things work right so infrequently. Or when things go bad, they can go so very bad.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print