Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Blue Screen and Reboot after Ghost 10 Install (Read 19739 times)
Pleonasm

Re: Blue Screen and Reboot after Ghost 10 Install
Reply #15 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 2:17pm

Greetings, James.  To clarify, my intent was not to unabashedly support Symantec.  Their products – like all other major applications of which I am aware – are certainly not perfect.

Nonetheless, let’s look at the data.  To-date, we have two reported cases of a Ghost 10.0 installation problem.  Symantec sold about $1.3 billion of consumer products in fiscal year 2005, and so, for the sake of argument and to be overly conservative, let’s say that the average unit sale was $100 and only 1% of the total is for Ghost.  That equates to 130,000 installations annually or about 10,800 per month.  Since Ghost 10.0 has been available for about two months now, the rate of occurrence of your problem is about 2 / (10,800 * 2) or 0.009% - less than one one-hundredth of one percent of all installations.  Yes, ideally, the percentage would be 0.000% - but, hey, be real:  what other solution can you recommend that performs at this level of excellence?

Now, if I see that legions of users are experiencing Ghost 10.0 incompatibilities, I reserve the right to change my mind.  But at present, James, I am afraid that the only reasonable data-based conclusion is that the root cause of the problem you are experiencing resides in your ‘home built’ hardware  Cry.  It’s not too late to get into hotrods, tattos, or professional wrestling . . . .

Best wishes,
Pleonasm

IP Logged

huntnyc
Gnarly

Reply #16 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 9:37pm

Thought I would give Ghost 10 another shot.  Now, I reformatted my Jum Drive to an NTFS partition instead of Fat32 and so far Windows starts up find after Ghost install and a restore of test Ghost image.  However, I do note that my Eastern Standard time is an hour behind when image is restored.  Not a big deal but annoying.  Should I be concerned and can I get this behavior to change?  Thanks for all your help.

Gary

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 10:36pm

I've seen the 1 hour time difference occasionally. I didn't take much notice as I thought it was related to not setting the Time Zone in the Recovery Environment to Daylight Savings time. I'll take more notice next time.

I just reset the clock in Windows as I'm sure you did too.

So your only change has been to format the Jump Drive as NTFS and now it's OK. Fingers crossed.

IP Logged

huntnyc
Gnarly

Reply #18 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 11:52pm

Yes, so far, Brian.  I will stick with a while and see how it works.  I really like the possibility of the monthly scheduling in Ghost 10.  Although, I guess I will probably just set my Perfect Disk 7 to defrag onece every four weeks on Saturdays when I will not be running my Ghost Incremental.  Thanks again.

Gary

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 1:32am

Gary, I don't think there is a problem running PerfectDisk and Ghost 9 together from Windows. It's only the PerfectDisk boot-time defragmentation that is affected. You rarely need to do boot-time defrag anyway.

Quote:
"PerfectDisk does not complete offline defragmenting when Norton Ghost 9.0 is installed
Situation:
Norton Ghost 9.0 and PerfectDisk are installed. When you run offline defragmenting, the process does not complete.
Solution:
This problem is caused by the Norton Ghost service. To resolve the problem, stop the Norton Ghost service before defragmenting offline with
PerfectDisk.
To stop the Norton Ghost service
1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type the following:
msconfig
3. Press Enter.
4. On the Services tab, uncheck Norton Ghost to stop the service.
5. Click Apply.
6. Click Close.
After running PerfectDisk, restart the Norton Ghost service.
To start the Norton Ghost Service
1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type the following:
msconfig
3. Press Enter.
4. On the Services tab, check Norton Ghost to start the service.
5. Click Apply.
6. Click Close."

IP Logged

huntnyc
Gnarly

Reply #20 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 8:41am

Thanks again Brian.  I guess that is one of the things we must endure as we seek to get an imaging program to function inside of the OS.  It is still the convenience of creating images that drives me forward but I will continue to monitor the reliability of the app for a while longer.  This forum is invaluable in providing the info we need to make the best use of this product as well as others.  Thanks again.

Gary

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #21 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 12:49pm

Through conversation with Symantec, I have confirmed that the Perfect Disk issue with Ghost 9.0 is equally applicable to Ghost 10.0.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print