Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
new with big issue with GHOST (Read 16329 times)
topnotch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: new with big issue with GHOST
Reply #15 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 5:03pm

hey nightowl

this is what's happening ok
actually 3 files ok,

< "
IMAGE~1
BACKUP.GHO

the backup has the size 586MB, the first 2 dont have any size
those are the 3 files, now i will do the check

i did the intergrity check and it says intergrity check passed

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #16 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 6:25pm

topnotch

So, to your knowledge, only the C:\ partition was backed up--and that's the only ghost image file you have?

Is the size of the ghost image file consistent with the amount of data on your C:\ partition--it may be compressed in the image file--so possibly about 700-800 MB's of data on the C:\ partition when the image was created?

Do you have one HDD that has two partitions--C:\ and D:\--or do you have two HDD's--one being C:\ and the other being D:\?

Answers?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

topnotch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 7:45pm

hey

i only have one hard drive, with 2 sections ,C AND D, when i went to the D:\, IT HAS THOSE 3 FILES and BACKUP.GHO had the size and the biggest size
the C:\ has different folders but i dont see the ghost.gho on the C drive

i dont know the size of the C:\ though
that's what my friend told me before, that i gotta put whatever i need on that one  (d:\)and the C:\ will be erased everytime i restore the image

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #18 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 8:43pm

topnotch

Well, looks like you're ready--you might consider creating a second backup of C:\ as it exists now (if you have room on D:\ )--just in case you discover you need to try to recover its data:

To do a backup, you would start Ghost, select *Local >Partition > to Image*, choose C:\ as the source (if it's a NTFS partition, then it would be listed as *1:1* by DOS Ghost--because DOS can not *see* and assign NTFS partitions drive letters)--then choose D:\ as the destination--
Note:  use a different name so you do not overwrite the other image file--for example I use the month and day to name my image files--*1219-C*
  (I actually create a new sub-directory with the month and day as the label--so the image files are kept separate from each other--so *1219* would be the sub-directory, and then put the image file inside the sub-directory--with the name *1219*, and Ghost will actually make the image file name be *1219.gho*.)

To do a restore, you would start Ghost, select *Local >Partition >from Image*, choose the source image file you wish to restore, then choose the C:\ partition as the destination.

If you reach the above point and something has not gone right for any reason, or you have a doubt or question--cancel out and post your question(s) here--otherwise, proceed!

Questions?  Report back with the results of your efforts.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

topnotch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 9:00pm

nightowl

ok let me see if i understood this clearly

i go local>partition>from image

then it shows me the 3 files
i pick ghost.gho
and click on ok
and then it will ask me for the destination right?
ok theres 2 destination, it doesnt say C:\ though, it says
primary   fat 32     size 10003 data size  9875
logical      fat32 ext    size 9457    data size 660

which one should i pick???

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #20 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 10:58pm

topnotch

(I forgot that Ghost does not use the drive letters in all of it's DOS interface menus--but you can assign *labels* (names) to partitions, and that is why I have *labeled* my partitions with the drive letters that they normally have when booted into Windows--the labels do show in most of the Ghost listings--so my OS is C-WinXP, or C-Win98, D, E, F, H-Fat16, etc.--it's also a good idea to create partitions of different sizes and keep track of those sizes for when using Ghost--as the partition sizes are always listed.  The above are suggestions for the future!  Wink )

Your OS has to be on a *primary* partition on most normal installations--and you have two partitions listed *primary fat 32*--that should be your C:\,

and the *logical fat 32 ext* means it's a partition in what's called an *
ext
ended partition*--a special partition where you can put many *logical partitions*--because a HDD can only have a max of 4 primary partitions--one of which can be the special *extended partition*--bottom line it allows you to have more than just 4 partitions.

But....that *primary fat 32   size 10003  data size  9875*--

this says your OS partition is approx 10 GB in size (10003), but it is almost *full* of data (9875)!  This may be where your booting problem is coming from--they say that if you begin to approach 80 % full on your OS partition, you can start having performance issues.

Are you sure there isn't data on that C:\ partition that you need--because it's approaching 15 times larger (9875 MB) than the image (660 MB) you plan on restoring to that OS partition--or is it just filled up with *junk*  Wink ?!

IP Logged

topnotch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 11:08pm

hey nightowl

mostly its all junk to be honest with you i can not think of one thing that i do need except that last part of that project which i know by heart so i'm not too worried about it, the rest of it its probalby videos and music that i do not need anymore, i remember when my friend did the image is when we installed a fresh win xp, probably why its only 660mb, i filled it up with projects which i burned it on cd and the rest of it its just junk

IP Logged

topnotch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Dec 20th, 2005 at 12:24am

nightowl

good news!!!!!! it worked, it restored the image i was looking for, all the garbage is all gone, i appreciate all the help, no way i coulda done this by myself, i will for sure be around here to learn few more things because its interesting how fast it can go to the image you were looking for, instead of formatting the whole pc

once again, thanx again!!!!!!Smiley i can now get rid of this pc that was taking so long to load

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #23 - Dec 20th, 2005 at 1:04am

topnotch

Glad to have helped--and don't be a stranger--there's lots to learn about these electronic *toys*  Wink !

IP Logged

topnotch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - Dec 20th, 2005 at 2:03am

nightowl

trust me i will be around, i wanna learn all i can, thanx again for all the help

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print