Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Ghost image and STOLEN computer - please CLARIFY. (Read 137667 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost image and STOLEN computer - please CLARI
Reply #30 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 9:26pm

Don't forget to give us your assessment of the software. It really is exciting.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #31 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 9:59pm

cardinal23 wrote on Jan 7th, 2006 at 8:58pm:
But now that I know that Norton is selling this incredbly valuable (IMO) ability, I won't be happy without it.

I'm not going to disparage the Norton LiveState or the RestoreAnywhere option.

I will say though that using both these options likely requires a PC consultant to 1) analyze the failure 2) effect the restore procedure.  It may be a great option (at a great price).

However, there is a
free
capability provided by Microsoft that does the same thing.

Here is a link to several of many websites that show how to restore an imaged hard drive on a new computer.  After all, this happens in the home/home office quite often:  your hard drive dies, your motherboard dies, your power supply fries everything. etc. etc.  So Microsoft provides the capability to restore your (Ghost) disk image to a dissimilar PC.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

http://www.google.com/search?q=changing+motherboard+xp

Just to give credit where credit is due, Brian first mentioned this in post #16.

Thanks Brian.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #32 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 11:15pm

Just to add another thought.  First, I haven't ever used the Symantec LiveState software, so I don't know personally of its capabilities, only what I read about it.

I believe though that LiveState is designed for a company with a IT support staff, a situation like this:  The company may have for example 500 or more PC's across multiple departments, all supported by a IT department and tech support staff.

Mangement of, updating of, configuration of, backing up of, recovering from these 500 pc's is the IT's job (among others). In this type of scenario, anything to help manage recoveries (as well as push installs) is of great help.  Often the IT department develops a "golden" image just the way they want it configured (think of Dell and a specific model).  A LiveState push capability from the golden-copy is needed, as well as a restore.

Departments (users) often never backup their own pc's.  Just a fact of life.  So you need a LiveState or enterprise backup capability.  And you need a way to push/manage replacement or restoration of saved backups.

I think this is where LiveState (Powerquest had a similar capability before Symantec) comes in.

It makes sense to be able to do a LiveState RestoreAnywhere capability that doesn't take all day.  Otherwise your IT staff is spending valuable time on something that could be automated.

The Microsoft changing-motherboards or changing-pc's approach is an individual approach not automated.  (I bet there is some automation methods; I'm just not aware of them.)

So if you have just one pc or only a few pc's you're trying to protect, then Symantec's LiveState could be an overkill.  After all if a user is spending just $60 for Ghost, he/she is in a different ball park than LiveState.  In that case a manual XP Repair-install can work as well.

Hoping that others will give their experiences and opinions too.  This forum is about the only one I know of that regularly shares/talks of different approaches to backup, recovery, and strategies.  Thanks to all!

If there is a better mousetrap, please share.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #33 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 5:48pm

Cardinal23, concerning your comment:  "If I had a way to (legally) transfer the application that lacks the CDs, that would temporarily cool my jets."  Recall that one answer for doing this is the use of a tool such as PCmover by Laplink (http://www.laplink.com/).

Cardinal23, if you do purchase and use the LiveState Recovery 6.0 Restore Anywhere Option solution, please do post the results of your efforts.

Ghost4me, I goin' "on-the-record" here to predict that later this year when Ghost 11 is released, there will be two versions offered:  a "standard" version, and a more expensive "Pro" version.  The latter will have the "restore anywhere" capability.

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #34 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 6:05pm

Pleonasm: You wrote:
Quote:
Cardinal23, if you do purchase and use the LiveState Recovery 6.0 Restore Anywhere Option solution, please do post the results of your efforts.

I will definitely do that.  I won't, however, be buying it right away.

You also wrote:
Quote:
Cardinal23, concerning your comment:  "If I had a way to (legally) transfer the application that lacks the CDs, that would temporarily cool my jets."  Recall that one answer for doing this is the use of a tool such as PCmover by Laplink (http://www.laplink.com/).

I'll check it out. 
Thanks so much.

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #35 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 6:10pm

Somewhat unrelated:
A few times, over the last few days, I've posted something and gotten this:
Quote:
500 - Radified Internal Server Error

An error occured while accessing this file or directory. This is most likely due to a permissions problem on a CGI script, especially if you received this error when attempting to excecute a CGI script. Make sure your file is set 'chmod 755', or user everything, group and world read-executable.

If you feel you have reached this in error, please contact us and we will investigate.

Radified Home

I then look at the thread and the post is there (as if no error occurred.)

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #36 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 2:12pm

The article “Servers Travel Back in Time with Symantec” describes a real-world test of the “Restore Anywhere” capability of LiveState Recovery (a.k.a. ‘corporate Ghost 10’):
   http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1876514,00.asp

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #37 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 2:15pm

Another approach to migrating an image of one PC to a another PC with a dissimilar hardware configuration is as follows.
  • Step A:  Create a Ghost 10 image of PC #1 (the 'source' PC).
  • Step B:  Install VMware Workstation (US$199; http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/) on PC #2 (the ‘destination’ PC, which may have a different hardware configuration than PC #1), thereby creating a virtual machine.
  • Step C:  Restore the image from Step A onto the virtual machine created in Step B.
  • Step D:  Run the virtual machine from Step C on PC #2 to duplicate the functionality of PC #1.
Although I have not personally tested this approach, based on everything that I have read by both Symantec and VMware, it should work well.

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #38 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 3:52pm

Pleonasm: Thanks!  This is really great.
I have 2 questions:
1.  Can one use Ghost 9.0 - or only 10.0?
2.  I own Microsoft Virtual PC, a competitor to VM.  Any thoughts as to whether Virtual PC would work too?  Of course, I need to test it, and report back - I can't do that right now.
THANK YOU,
David

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #39 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 4:11pm

Cardinal23, I’m still new to the world of VMware and virtual machines, but the idea is quite exciting.

I am unfamiliar with the Microsoft Virtual PC product, and so can’t comment on its use with Ghost 9/Ghost 10.

For important additional information concerning VMware and Ghost 9/Ghost 10, see the thread “Restore Ghost Image to a Virtual Machine” on this forum at:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11350...

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #40 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 6:34pm

Pleonasm: I'm a late arrival to the Ghost party.  It had never occurred to me that you COULDN'T restore an image created on computer A to computer B.  I just figured "hey, Ghost.  That's cool.  Back up EVERYTHING.  If my computer's stolen, I'm golden."  Then I tuned into reality (courtesy of Radified.com.)

But, it appears that the thing I was naive about is coming into view.  That's really cool - I mean, some people don't even try to do decent backups.  Believe me.  I think it's wonderful (very wonderful, in fact) that a conscientious person can have this level of protection.  Such protection is quite liberating.  David

IP Logged

cardinal23
Nuclear Grade

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #41 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 6:38pm

One more thing: Virtual Machine is SO DAMNED COOL.  You have to try it.  You can have a complete Windows 98 machine running in a window on your XP machine.  You use the actual Win98 CDs to set it up.  You can then totally trash that installation (spyware, whatever) without harming at all the host (real) Windows 98 machine.  I use it for testing compatability of the SW I develop but it's just an astounding piece of software - please try it.  I got it first as a 30-day trial from MS.  Then I got a full copy. Good luck.  Thanks - you've really done an amazing amount for this thread.  I will reference this thread repeatedly in my future that's for sure.  I may even print it out - but I need to think 'paperless'.

IP Logged

T_S_Kimball

Reply #42 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 7:51am

Hi all,

I've done the 'Ghost + XP Recover Install' three times so far (on the same XP install!), and came out relatively unscathed each time.  Note the first move included moving from an AMD CPU to an Intel, so a complete driver install was required (the mainboard died on the AMD Sad ).  You will definately need to re-activate XP, plus install fresh drivers as needed.

From my own observations, I'd suggest doing this operation no more than twice to one image set (especially if hardware is radically changing each time, such as my situation was).  I was never quite happy with the third transfer, and I eventually pulled out another disk and started from scratch to good result.

Note this was using Ghost '03 for the three transfers.  I'm unable to run that version on the current system, but my testing of Ghost 9 on two other PCs (an HP L2000 'Livestrong' notebook and a Dell XPS gen 3 in SATA-RAID boot) make me think it would be possible with that version as well.

I hope this helps people,
-Timothy

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #43 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 11:42am

Cardinal23, have you tried to restore a Ghost 9/Ghost 10 image onto the Microsoft Virtual PC (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx)? ; If so, please post your observations and insights.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #44 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 1:59pm

Cardinal23, I forgot to mention that you can both ‘print’ and be ‘paperless’ simultaneously:  use a virtual PDF printer, such as pdfFactory Pro (see www.FinePrint.com) which I personally use and recommend.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print