Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
How to Replace a Hard Drive using Ghost 10 (Read 94696 times)
John.
Übermensch

How to Replace a Hard Drive using Ghost 10
Feb 7th, 2006 at 4:45pm

Replacing a System Disk/Hard Drive using Ghost 10.

There are many different uses and scenarios for Ghost 2003, Ghost 9, and Ghost 10.  This article provides some guidelines to replace one hard drive with a larger one.  

It does not attempt to cover all possible uses of Ghost; this is limited to an often needed case of
replacing a single System hard drive containing a single partition with a larger hard drive.

Note:  For a different scenario (not covered here), for example, if it is possible to connect both internal hard drives (new and old) inside the PC at the same time, the Ghost 10 Chapter 12 procedure called "Copy My Hard Drive feature" (or Ghost 9 Chapter 7 procedure called "Copy Drive feature") can be utilitized which shows how to copy directly from the old drive to the new drive.

======================================================

References:

Cloning partitions with Ghost 9 Guide, by Brian
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

See other sections in the FAQ.

Assumptions:

1. You want to replace your hard drive with a larger one.
2. Windows XP
3. You have Ghost 10 installed. (note, this same procedure should apply for Ghost 9 also.)
4. Your hard drive to be replaced contains only one partition, the primary boot ( C: ) partition.
5. Your hard drive and XP is operational and working properly.
6. You have an USB2 external hard drive to store your backup images on.

Preparation:

1. Verify that your current hard drive has only one partition:

Right-click My Computer
Manage
Disk Management
 Maximize the window
Does Disk Management show that you have ONLY one (1) partition or MORE than one?

Alternate verification to display your partitions:

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to this folder and run
c:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Utility\PartinNT.exe
  (Note that if you installed Ghost 10 as part of SystemWorks, the folder name may be different.)

Double click to run the PartinNT.exe program

Select "Copy to Clipboard" or "Save As" and then paste the results on this forum for further analysis.  More than one partition requires special handling!

2. Verify that the Ghost 10 Recovery boot CD works for your pc, configuration, and external USB hard drive.

There are some issues involved when using Ghost 10.x with certain systems and USB external devices--so you need to determine if you can successfully use your external drive with the Recover Disk:

Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems

To verify the Ghost 10 Recovery CD:
1. Connect USB external hard drive to your PC.  Note the drive letter assigned to it.
2. Insert Ghost 10 Recovery CD into the CD tray. (You may have to click "exit" if autorun tries to start it.)
3. Shutdown Windows XP.
4. At power-on/startup time, enable booting from your CD drive (may involve changing bios to boot from CD first).
5 . Boot from the Ghost 10 Recovery CD.  Note.  If you have trouble booting from the Ghost 10 Recovery CD, please note any error messages and post them here.  Or, if Ghost 10 does not recognize or find your external hard drive (it may have a different drive letter, but that's ok), post results here.

6. Select Recover My Computer (see chapter 11 of the user guide).

7. Navigate to the backup image that is on your external hard drive.  

8. If you can see your Recovery Point backup image on your external USB2 drive, your recovery CD environment is working correctly.

9. Select Exit. and boot back to Windows XP.

Copy/Implementation Procedure:

If you have ONLY one partition
, then use Ghost "Back Up Now" to create a backup image on your external drive.

1. In Windows XP, start Ghost 10 and Run Back Up Now or Complete System Backup to create a backup image onto your external USB drive.  Be sure to check VERIFY while it is being created.

2. Shut down your PC.

3. Put your old drive in a safe place.

4. Switch out your old drive with the new drive. Ensure the master/slave/stand-alone jumpers of your new drive match your old drive.

Do NOT format or partition your new hard drive.  Ghost 10 will do that automatically.  It should be blank/unused.  

5. Boot from the Ghost 10 Recovery CD.  

6. Select Recover My Computer (read chapter 11 of the Ghost 10 user guide).

7. Highlight/select the Recovery Point with date and time that matches your backup.
 (If your Recovery Point/Backup is not listed, click "Open from another location" and select the correct folder from your external hard drive that contains the backup.)

Be sure these options are set:
  Set Drive Active
  Restore Master Boot Record.

(note, you can also have it resize drive upon restore plus some other options if you want).

8. After the Restore completes, shut down your pc, and reboot with your hopefully new hard drive working fine.

Please post your results and experiences here when you finish.

Good luck!

Troubleshooting:

Note any error messages and post them here on the Radified Forum.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Replacing a Hard Drive using Ghost 10
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 6:08pm

John, this guide will be a most useful reference for those wanting to replace their hard drives. It will save typing time for some of us as well.

Copy Drive (Ghost 9) or Copy my Hard Drive (Ghost 10) seems to have an appreciable failure rate, probably user related. Restoring an image as you have outlined is far more likely to be successful and it’s what I do when I want to transfer an OS to another HD. For those without an image on a hard drive or DVD, then Copy Drive is the only option.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Replacing a Hard Drive using Ghost 10
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 7:04pm

Brian,
The guide doesn't cover the more and more common PC situation where the hard drive contains more than one partition.

It would be nice if Ghost 10 had a feature
from the Recovery CD boot environment
called "Copy all Partitions", similar to Copy Drive but for ALL partitions.

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Replace a Hard Drive using Ghost 10
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:50am

Im curious why the ghost 10 boot disk takes 10 minutes to load?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:19am

Mackey, good question, and the answer is "it depends".

Using the Ghost 10 recovery environment CD is really two processes:  the Windows PE (Pre-enviornment) boot cd startup, followed by invoking Ghost 10 program.

You are essentially booting into a version of XP built ENTIRELY on what is read from the CD.  Think of it like booting from XP on a hard drive that runs at the slow speed of a CD.  Lots of CD-drives slow or spin down if not accessed within a couple seconds.  That also makes it slower.  My laptop cd drive is a lot slower than my desktop one.

The Windows XP PE startup must detect all devices on your system and "build" an XP enviornment.  You can probably speed it up the process a little if you don't have any excess devices (like usb ones attached).

So, after the 10 minutes did you use the process outlined to replace a hard drive with the Ghost 10 CD?  Any comments or suggestions on how to improve the instructions?  Did everything go ok?

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:28am

Ah well that makes sense.. THANK YOU

and, yes I did, and it well, didnt quite work the first time.. I created a recovery point / image from my IDE on a second drive. shut down installed a new SATA drive. Booted with the CD, (10 minutes later) LOL, all went well, once its running its really nice to just click on laod the network drivers, map my drives etc.. Okay so i restored the image to the new SATA drive. shut down booted the new SATA it brougt me to a login screen with name already in it, i thought wow this is great! grrrrr, once I entered my password it would say loading settings and then go right into logging off. A vicious circle.  --

Well I couldnt fix it so i put the older ide back in  wiped out the old partitions, restored the image to that drive and all is working well.. So Now Im lost in how to get my image from and IDE drive to work on an SATA drive

thank you for the reply Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 2:07pm

mackey,

There have been reports of problems restoring from IDE to SATA but I think one of our members did it without a problem.

How many partitions on your IDE HD?
Is the OS on the first partition?
Is the OS a C: drive or some other drive letter?
Did you load SATA drivers from a floppy when you booted your SATA HD?
Did you tick Copy MBR when you restored?
Is your image stored on a third HD or the IDE drive with the partitions?

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 3:11pm

Answers, Smiley

How many partitions on your IDE HD?

Just one

Is the OS on the first partition?

Is the OS a C: drive or some other drive letter?

yes C:

Did you load SATA drivers from a floppy when you booted your SATA HD?

No   Sad

Did you tick Copy MBR when you restored?

Yes

Is your image stored on a third HD or the IDE drive with the partitions?

Image was on a second SATA drive setup for data only

Im guessing its the third party drivers? But why would it boot up to windows and then just log me off, do the HD drivers have something to do with the login?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 4:43pm

So, your original setup was IDE as "primary HD" and SATA as "secondary". As you could see the SATA drive I assume your OS already contains SATA drivers. Did you install the SATA HD and the drivers? What computer do you have?

On recent boot up you wouldn't have been asked to insert a floppy. I wasn't thinking.

Check your BIOS in the SATA Setup area. I have several choices but I'm not sure which would be appropriate for you. Perhaps try Combination to start with and see if you can boot.

I saw reports of people getting it to work by doing a Repair Install and loading drivers from the F6 choice. You lose all your Windows Updates this way.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 5:45pm

I just tried it again this time with a maxtor 160 gig SATA still no luck.. And I was not asked tor estore the MBR when restoring my hard drive Maybe Im doing it wrong.. But this time all i got was a blinking cursor.

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 5:46pm

Brian wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 4:43pm:
So, your original setup was IDE as "primary HD" and SATA as "secondary". As you could see the SATA drive I assume your OS already contains SATA drivers. Did you install the SATA HD and the drivers? What computer do you have?

On recent boot up you wouldn't have been asked to insert a floppy. I wasn't thinking.

Check your BIOS in the SATA Setup area. I have several choices but I'm not sure which would be appropriate for you. Perhaps try Combination to start with and see if you can boot.

I saw reports of people getting it to work by doing a Repair Install and loading drivers from the F6 choice. You lose all your Windows Updates this way.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

I have an HP D530 1.5 gigs or ram latest Bios etc..

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 6:21pm

Mackey, doesn't the HP pc have another (perhaps hidden) partition that you may not see?

My Computer/right click/Manage/Disk Management

How many partitions are shown with your original/current drive?

I don't think it's the MBR as a problem, but you said previously that it booted up to the logon screen.

Did you move your SATA after the copying to the first sata 0 connector position?  Maybe there is a boot option in the bios also.

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 7:14pm

yes did all that, I even used the max blast software that is supposed to move all your old stuff to the drive, it must be that i can move IDE to SATA  Im goingf to try and just format the drive again this weekend with Windows XP and see what happens .. thanks so much for the help but  I dontthink its going to work. i have disable the onboard IDE and made the SATA on board the primary, the boot disk is SATA 0   and well Im stumped..

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 7:19pm

Don't go without telling us how many partitions are in Disk Management (your IDE drive).

This may help if you install WinXP.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=109...

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=281

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 7:39pm

Oh sorry Just one partition -- its a maxtor 120 gig Ide

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print