Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
External SATA HD not seen in Windows (Read 17656 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: External SATA HD not seen in Windows
Reply #15 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:10pm

I'll bet that if I had conventional SATA connectors that I wouldn't have a problem. Alas, the enclosure has an eSATA plug.

http://www.sata-io.org/esata.asp

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=15876

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #16 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:57pm

Brian wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:10pm:
"... I'll bet that if I had conventional SATA connectors that I wouldn't have a problem. Alas, the enclosure has an eSATA plug..."

A while back I temporarily mounted a 120GB Maxtor SATA HDD in a Bytecc ME-320U2 USB enclosure kit and routed a 36-inch conventional SATA cable directly from the SATA HDD to: (1) the SATA port on the motherboard of my Dell Dimension 8300; and (2) later on, to the PCI-to-SATA adapter card of my Dell Dimension 8100.  The SATA HDD was receiving power from the external enclosure via a MOLEX-to-SATA converter harness, and in both instances flawlessly behaved as if it were an internal HDD, i.e., no host/bridge/device controller headaches.

CLICK HERE to view commentary on
"midstream freezes"
with Ghost 2003 using USB 2.0 external HDD enclosure kits.  Do note that modest size tasks (less than 4GB, i.e., no more than two spanned images) were frequently successful, but full-scale "disk-to-image" undertakings would consistently fail.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 11:10pm

It's interesting that your occasional freezes have been with USB and my frequent freezes are with SATA. Neither of my enclosures have had a problem with USB.

I'm giving up on SATA for the time being and I'll use USB mode. As I've indicated, the job probably completes in a shorter time for me with USB.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #18 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 7:03pm

Brian wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:10pm:
"... I'll bet that if I had conventional SATA connectors that I wouldn't have a problem..."

Brian wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 11:10pm:
"... I'm giving up on SATA for the time being..."

As a temporary measure - proof of concept and all that - can you bypass (much as I did above) the eSATA connectors and rig exclusively with conventional SATA connectors between your external SATA HDD and your SATA ports?  It would be very fascinating to either absolve or else vindicate the eSATA architecture in your particular case.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 7:33pm

EP, I just had a look and the data cables aren't long enough to protude through the rear of my case. I planned to use the data cable from the second HD. I don't want to run the computer for a prolonged period with the case open.

There are eSATA plugs on the rear of the enclosure and the rear of the computer. I'd planned on removing the HD from the enclosure and connect it to the data cable from the motherboard.

Your suggestion should work as the HD in the enclosure was my primary HD last week.

The external power supply is another variable but it does work fine when I'm running in USB mode. Something is different about eSATA as it requires updated drivers from what I was using.

Vantec is ignoring my email messages for support.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #20 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 8:39pm

Brian wrote on Mar 2nd, 2006 at 7:33pm:
"... I don't want to run the computer for a prolonged period with the case open..."

A rational stance, indeed - but do consider the plausible demystification of this matter by operating
just long enough
with both external enclosure and PC case open so as to either exonerate or condemn the eSATA hookup.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 8:45pm

I'll buy a longer cable.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 9:33pm

EP,

This image shows the enclosure connection.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Vantec%20Nexstar%203/

So I can't run a SATA cable from my HD to the motherboard and use external power. It's pointless to run an internal data cable and internal power because that's how it was last week while it was working. We still don't know if the problem is eSATA or the Power Supply but I think I have an eSATA incompatability.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #23 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 11:46pm

Brian wrote on Mar 2nd, 2006 at 9:33pm:
"... So I can't run a SATA cable from my HD to the motherboard and use external power..."
DRAT !!!
EP Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 1:04am

What I might do later, when I get bored, is buy a longer SATA data cable and a power cord extender. The final power plug can be either SATA type or Molex from what I can see. Then I can just have the HD sitting on the table (I'll be careful not to move it) and have it in SATA mode. I only connect external HD's to copy data then I disconnect them.

Does that sound reasonable? Any cooling problems likely?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #25 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 11:05am

Brian wrote on Mar 3rd, 2006 at 1:04am:
"... Does that sound reasonable? Any cooling problems likely?..."

I would think that staying up just long enough to ascertain whether or not eSATA is at fault should prove safe enough.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #26 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 9:56pm

Now it works perfectly.

Two months ago I sent my Dell 8400 away for a warranty repair. Dell rang to say that the plastic exterior case was damaged in transit but they would replace the case when they found a spare. They couldn't find a case as the 8400 is a discontinued model so they swapped my computer for a new Dell 9150. I'm very pleased with the new computer and with Dell's approach.

The eSATA II enclosure no longer locks the computer with large file transfers. I copied a 15 GB image file to the external HD in 5 minutes. I copied another 60 GB of data files to the external HD while watching the HD temperature. The maximum temperature was 41° C which was comparable to the internal HD temperatures.

So the previous problem was related to incompatibility.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print