Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Norton Save & Restore:  first report (Read 20761 times)
John.
Übermensch

Norton Save & Restore:  first report
Apr 13th, 2006 at 4:23pm

I recently purchased the new Norton Save & Restore to be used for a small business client of mine.  I will be conducting more testing in the future, but here are some initial comments:

1. The Norton S&R cd has the cd-volume-name of NSR11.0.  From that I am guessing that Ghost 10.0 is going to become Norton S&R 11.0 in the future.  Of course I could be wrong here.

2. It should be mandatory for a user to run the "Driver Validation" from the startup cd.  It looks like it has been updated.  Hopefully it includes new SATA and other updates (I don't have SATA drives myself so I can't verify).

3. I tested the Recovery Environment CD to see if Symantec had fixed their USB2 drive detection and conflict problems.  Sad to say, no they haven't.  My external USB2 drive was given it's sticky drive letter of K, not the next sequential one.

NightOwl, you may be right that Norton is trying to be *cute* here.  Whether it's intentional or not, I'm not happy with what they haven't done!  Sad  That is, they haven't fixed it yet.

4. The data-file backups, while kept separate from the image backups, appear to be in a compressed Ghost format (I haven't tested this yet).  

I am concerned about this from a theoretical standpoint.  I prefer and recommend to create redundant backup approaches, and believe that file backups should be either natural file format duplicates or common zip format backups.  If a proprietary format fails, you're stuck. (Don't keep all your eggs in one basket.)

5. There's a folder on the CD called GOBACK.  Maybe Norton Save & Restore is really a combo package of Ghost 10.0 and Goback.  However, I also found GOBACK on the Ghost 10 RE cd, so who knows what it means.

Stay tuned.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Norton Save & Restore:  first report
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 6:16pm

stick-i-fied

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 10:53pm

John. wrote on Apr 13th, 2006 at 4:23pm:

I prefer and recommend to create redundant backup approaches, and believe that file backups should be either natural file format duplicates or common zip format backups.  If a proprietary format fails, you're stuck. (Don't keep all your eggs in one basket.)

I prefer natural file format. I like to see that it is identical.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 10:23am

Concerning the format used by Norton Save & Restore for its file backup, recall that the product is capable of saving multiple versions of the same file.  For this reason, a pure “natural format” approach would not fit well.

Nonetheless, I’m in agreement with Ghos4me and Brian:  it is comforting to be able to do simple file/folder comparisons (e.g., using FolderMatch) to verify the integrity of a duplicate set of files.

Ghost4me, concerning the comment “Ghost 10.0 is going to become Norton S&R 11.0 in the future,” note that CNET says “Symantec intends to keep Norton Ghost a separate product on the market.”  I hope that CNET is correct.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 1:16pm

Pleonasm wrote on Apr 14th, 2006 at 10:23am:

Ghost4me, concerning the comment “Ghost 10.0 is going to become Norton S&R 11.0 in the future,” note that CNET says “Symantec intends to keep Norton Ghost a separate product on the market.”  I hope that CNET is correct.

I hope CNET is correct too.  I was just passing on what I thought was a Symantec Freudian slip with their cd-volume-name.

IP Logged

Ninjin
N00b

Love games....

Netherlands - Utrecht

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 7:05am

This is so much more fun then anserwing stupid questions on the phones that i always get.

The GoBack map in the NSR and Ghost 10.0 CD's are there so that if you install Ghost and have GoBack it will add a few things to the GoBack so it dissables when you make a backup.
Only works with GoBack 4.02 and onwards. A version everyone gets after Livupdate the 4.00 version.

they will stop using the name Ghost for the normal User and is going for the name "Norton Save & Restore" for the normal user.

Ghost 10.0 and NSR are using the technology V2I to be abel to ghost while windows is still running. You can stll recover old file formats using the legacy option.

OBS!!! NSR is ONLY supported on XP machines and that due to the fact microsoft will cansel the support for 98, 2000, ME at the end of June. (forgot exact date)

The more i read in this forum the luckier i feel that i have my job.&&Seriously so many good techincians here

IP Logged

Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 11:30am

Ninjin wrote on Apr 19th, 2006 at 7:05am:
OBS!!! NSR is ONLY supported on XP machines and that due to the fact microsoft will cansel the support for 98, 2000, ME at the end of June. (forgot exact date)

AFAIK, only for 98 and ME. I've not seen an announcement for Win 2000.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 4:14pm

Ninjin wrote on Apr 19th, 2006 at 7:05am:
They will stop using the name Ghost for the normal User and is going for the name "Norton Save & Restore" for the normal user.

Pleonasm,

If Ninjin's statement is true, then looks like CNET was mistaken.  My hunch is that Symantec is trying to compete with all the free software that is being included with USB2 hard drives from Maxtor, Seagate, and Western Digital.  In order to compete with the one-button backup for everyone software, they had to dumb-down Ghost to make it appeal to the masses.

I also just noticed in testing Save & Restore, that it can be invoked automatically by pushing the one-button backup button on a Maxtor drive--that should give us a big clue as to what the marketing approach and direction from Symantec is.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 3:16pm

Ghost4me, note that Ghost 10 has always had the Maxtor "one button" backup feature as described here.

The fact that Norton Save & Restore is priced exactly the same as Ghost does tend to suggest that the former may supersede the latter.

Question:  During the installation of Norton Save & Restore, is it possible to choose which components of the package you want to install?  In other words, could a user of NSR only install the Ghost functionality and omit the file backup capabilities?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 4:15pm

Pleonasm wrote on Apr 20th, 2006 at 3:16pm:
Question:  During the installation of Norton Save & Restore, is it possible to choose which components of the package you want to install?  In other words, could a user of NSR only install the Ghost functionality and omit the file backup capabilities?

No.  No.

Sorry, no options in the install.  You don't have to  define data backup schemes, so if you don't, then in that respect it is essentially like Ghost 10.0.  I settled on traditional data backups, so Norton S&R appears to work exactly like Ghost 10 from my experiences so far.

IP Logged

Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Reply #10 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 4:00am

John. wrote on Apr 20th, 2006 at 4:15pm:
No.  No.

Sorry, no options in the install.  You don't have to  define data backup schemes, so if you don't, then in that respect it is essentially like Ghost 10.0.  I settled on traditional data backups, so Norton S&R appears to work exactly like Ghost 10 from my experiences so far.

By working exactly as Ghost 10, does that mean that it has the issue I raised in
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11354....

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 1:37pm

Howard Kaikow wrote on Apr 21st, 2006 at 4:00am:
By working exactly as Ghost 10, does that mean that it has the issue I raised in
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11354....

I don't know.  I am only using the full independent image backup feature at this time.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Apr 23rd, 2006 at 9:58am

Ghost4me, the Norton Save & Restore User Guide (page 25) says "Norton Save and Restore can restore backup images created using Norton Ghost 10.0, Norton Ghost 9.0, and Norton Ghost 2003."

Can you confirm that Norton Save & Restore includes Ghost 2003?  Does it also include Ghost 8.2 – with the capability to both create as well as restore .GHO images?  (Recall that the version of Ghost 8.2 shipped with Ghost 9 only allowed the user to restore – but not create – an image.)

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #13 - Apr 23rd, 2006 at 2:21pm

It contains Ghost 8.2.0.1115 on the Recovery CD, same  as Ghost 10 Recovery CD (8.2.0.1115).

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 9:15am

Ghost4me, thank you for confirming that Ghost 8.2 is included with Norton Save & Restore.  Is Ghost 2003 likewise included?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print