Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Norton Save & Restore:  first report (Read 20710 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Norton Save & Restore:  first report
Reply #15 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 10:12am

Ghost4me

Have you checked to see if the Ghost32 v8.2.0.1115 on the Recovery CD is capable of both
creating
Ghost 8 images as well as restoring images--or is it *crippled* like the version in Ghost 9.x's Recovery Disk and does not allow for image creation?

Pleonasm

Quote:
"Norton Save and Restore
can restore
backup images created using Norton Ghost 10.0, Norton Ghost 9.0, and Norton Ghost 2003."

Ghost32 v8.xx is compatible with Ghost 2003 images--so restoring ability of a Ghost 2003 image would be available through Ghost32 v8.xx without Ghost 2003 being part of the package.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #16 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 10:53am

NightOwl, I understand that Ghost 8.2 is capable of restoring .GHO images created by Ghost 2003.  Nonetheless, from a marketing viewpoint, I was interested in whether Ghost 2003 is actually included with Norton Save & Restore.

Ghost4me, I understand from your prior post (Reply #13) that the Ghost 8.2 file included with Norton Save & Restore has the same version number as that provided with Ghost 10.  To clarify the issue, however, can you try to create an image using Ghost 8.2 supplied with Norton Save & Restore?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #17 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 5:51pm

NightOwl and Pleonasm,

I just ran a test with Norton Save & Restore by CREATING a backup image with the recovery CD and Ghost 8.2.  I created a partition image of my d: partition and put the image on a separate physical drive ( e: ).  650 MB/min 6 gb compressed to 3.0 gb.

This is the same test I performed with Ghost 10 recovery CD previously:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11414...

Can either of you explain to me what the interest is in the Ghost 8 version?  Wouldn't it be simpler to just purchase Ghost 8.2 if that is the version you wanted?  Or are you looking for two-for -- Both Ghost 10/S&R as well as 8.2?

I guess the one scenario advantage I can see for using the 8.2 CREATE capability, is if you had a unbootable (but readable) hard drive and you want to CREATE an offline backup prior to repairing it.  With Ghost 10 or S&R you can't do that, but with the Recovery CD you can.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #18 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 8:12pm

John. wrote on Apr 24th, 2006 at 5:51pm:
"... Can either of you explain to me what the interest is in the Ghost 8 version?  Wouldn't it be simpler to just purchase Ghost 8.2 if that is the version you wanted?..."

Symantec has been releasing utility software bundles containing Norton Ghost 10.0 which a number of vendors have been selling for anywhere from $9.99 USD to FREE (after MIR while disregarding sales taxes and/or shipping - CLICK HERE for an example) lately.  I use the Ghost 10.0 CD to concoct a BartPE-XPE CD for mimicking Ghost 2003 without sweating DOS-related aggravation with external USB HDDs.  I doubt that I could get such a bargain on Ghost 8.2 even if I was able to locate a seller.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #19 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 8:40pm

Ghost4me

Quote:
I guess the one scenario advantage I can see for using the 8.2 CREATE capability, is if you had a unbootable (but readable) hard drive and you want to CREATE an offline backup prior to repairing it. 
With Ghost 10 or S&R you can't do that, but with the Recovery CD you can.

At least for me, you *hit the nail on the head*!  It's more options--better options--when a system is no longer functioning properly!

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #20 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 10:56am

Ghost4me, to the best of my knowledge, a user can’t purchase a single license for Ghost 8.2 – it is only sold in expensive multi-user packs by Symantec for the corporate environment.  So, the presence of a fully functional Ghost 8.2 bundled with Norton Save & Restore or Ghost 10 is (practically speaking) the only way for an individual to acquire a license.

Beyond the comments already offered by NightOwl, I would add that the use of Ghost 8.2 provides application redundancy for an image backup strategy.  Personally, I use Ghost 10 as my primary image backup solution, but about once a month I create a .GHO image backup with Ghost 8.2.

Finally, consider that the use of Ghost 8.2 through the Ghost 10 recovery environment CD allows a user to create and save an image of a “factory fresh” PC before any applications are installed.  Obviously, this objective could not be done with Ghost 10.

P.S.:  Does Norton Save & Restore also include a copy of Ghost 2003?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #21 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 11:41am

Pleonasm wrote on Apr 25th, 2006 at 10:56am:
Does Norton Save & Restore also include a copy of Ghost 2003?

It appears to be the same as Ghost 10 cd.  Look in your \i386\shell\ghost folder of your Ghost 10 cd.  In S&R are the same two files:  ghostexp.exe (2003.0.0.739) and restoreghost.exe (8.2.0.0.1115).

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #22 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 12:57pm

Ghost4me

Quote:
It appears to be the same as Ghost 10 cd.

But, Ghost 10 comes with a separate installation CD that is Ghost 2003.  It was included with Ghost 10 packages because those folks who still are using Win98se or WinMe can not use Ghost 10 that requires WinXP.

So, I think Pleonasm is trying to find out if that separate installation CD is still being included.

With the *official* support for Win98 and WinMe by Microsoft set to expire this summer, I suspect other companies are going to *abandon* most of their programs for those OS's as well.

By the way, *ghostexp.exe (2003.0.0.739)* is *Ghost Explorer*.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #23 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 1:49pm

As a matter of marketing, I am curious whether or not Symantec has started the process of discontinuing the distribution of Ghost 2003 so as to motivate the migration of users to the Ghost 10/LiveState Recovery technology.

If Ghost 2003 is absent from Norton Save & Restore – Symantec’s most recent product launch – then it suggests that Ghost 2003 will also be omitted from Norton SystemWorks 2007 Premier and Ghost 11.  Additionally, it may also indicate that Ghost 8.2 will suffer the same fate as Ghost 2003 in the not too distant future.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #24 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 6:01pm

Ghost4me, the Ghost 2003 application – if present in the Norton Save & Restore product – should be reflected in the existence of a Ghost.exe file dated 17 DEC 2003 (1,031,428 bytes).  The application file might possibly also be named "F2506_ghost.exe".

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #25 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 9:23pm

NightOwl wrote on Apr 25th, 2006 at 12:57pm:
So, I think Pleonasm is trying to find out if that separate installation CD is still being included.

Ok, now I understand the question.  Sorry.  Save & Restore come with only the SR cd.  no Ghost 2003 cd.

Compare the System Requirements for Ghost 10vs. Norton Save & Restore , which contains no mention of Ghost 2003.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #26 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 9:30pm

Pleonasm wrote on Apr 25th, 2006 at 1:49pm:
As a matter of marketing, I am curious whether or not Symantec has started the process of discontinuing the distribution of Ghost 2003 so as to motivate the migration of users to the Ghost 10/LiveState Recovery technology.
If Ghost 2003 is absent from Norton Save & Restore – Symantec’s most recent product launch – then it suggests that Ghost 2003 will also be omitted from Norton SystemWorks 2007 Premier and Ghost 11.  Additionally, it may also indicate that Ghost 8.2 will suffer the same fate as Ghost 2003 in the not too distant future.

Here is just my own personal opinion, so take it for what it is worth:  Consider that the life of a pc is about 4 years.  2003 + 4 = 2007.  Why would Symantec continue to support something that is at the end of its life cycle?  Also, many of the Ghost 2003 problems I have seen posted deal with issues of getting USB drivers and new SATA and other chipsets and motherboards to work with Ghost 2003.

Trying to keep supporting fewer and fewer legacy pc's probably just doesn't make sense.  They can barely provide tech support for their current product (Ghost 10)!

Life cycle decisions are a part of any smart business planning, whether we agree with them or not.

According to Symantec's own website, the requirements (read into that:  target audience) for S&R are:

Windows® XP Home/XP Pro/XP Media Center Edition

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #27 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 1:47am

For search engines to better find this thread:

http://www.google.com/search?q=norton+save+restore

IP Logged