Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Restore Image-automated_batch_file (Read 3882 times)
mading
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Restore Image-automated_batch_file
Aug 25th, 2006 at 6:31am

Dear all,
I am very new to Norton Ghost(8.2), and also new to this forum. with much interest I have been reading your forum.

I almost found what I was looking for at this page. http://ghost.radified.com/automated_batch.htm
But, I like to do the opposite, can anyone tell me if and how this is possible?

I like my computer after start up prompt me with a menu. where I have 3sec. to selection "restore Image" otherwise it will start windows automatically in 3sec.

I, at this moment have 1 HD with 4 partitions:
1)empty/dos partition
2)system partition (winXP)
3)program files partition
4)Data Storage partition

If I select "restore Image" I like the computer to restore Partition 2 and 3 (from 2 different *.Gho)

Can anyone have a solution for this?

IP Logged

mading
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Restore Image-automated_batch_file
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2006 at 6:45am

I did not mention it in the above post because I think its probable not possible, but just to be sure I liker to have your suggestions.
The thing I really like to do is this:

In my BIOS I set my computer to start-up automatically. Every morning. What I like my computer to do is first (automatically) restore the image as mentioned above and than (automatically) start-up windows. So that by the time I get out of my bed. I have a fresh system to work with.
(yaya, I Know it seems somewhat unnecessary, but I think that would make a great toy Grin)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2006 at 6:04pm

hi mad.

just acknowledging that i read your message. this isn't my area of expertise, but it does interest me.

i think we had another thread, asking a similar question lately.

does this help?

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11562...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2006 at 6:21pm

mading

Here's another thread--we're waiting for a report back on the actual setup--hope *vmx* responds when (s)he's done setting it up:

Automatic boot image restore ?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

mading
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2006 at 10:23pm

NightOwl- & Rad

Thanks for the response. Although after reading all your info “[url]Automatic boot restore[/url] http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11556... is not the way I like to go, but I’m still interested in vmx’s next post.
But Dan Goodell Reply #7 of “[url]How to setup automated weekly ghost of running OS[/url] http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11562... really set me thinking. And I realised running a images restore every time the comp. starts-up is not the best way to go. (if you open your comp. 3X in 1day, a start-up time from 15min will get on my nerves.)

Dan Goodell introduced a brilliant scheme for active partition chance by scheduled task. Meaning I can set my computer to change active partition and run the batch file, lets say every morning at 7am. Which means a complete *unattended* Images restore without the hassle of any menu or interaction and any unnecessarily images restores.

Unfortunately Dan Goodell “only” illustrates what is possible for image backup.
Can anyone tell me of this scheme would also work for Image Restore? And if yes, can anyone provide a more step-by-step instructions??

If I format a partition in FAT16 does that automatically makes it a dos partition? Or do I have to copy some dos files to there? (I have no floppy drive) if yes, can I just copy all the files from the C:\Bootable CD Project\Extracted Files to make it a dos partition?

command-line parameters, sounds complicated! Anyone can advice some good info source?

call to "pqboot /p:2" does this mean I also have to copy PQ magic to my dos partition or is this a option in ghost?

What does “script Ghost”  mean?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print