Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Windows as Secure as Linux (Read 63184 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Windows as Secure as Linux
Reply #15 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 9:41am

MrMagoo, you will be interested to review the analysis documented in Windows Vista - 90 Day Vulnerability Report, which shows that Windows Vista (and Windows XP as well) had fewer security issues in the first 90 days following their release than either Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, or Ubuntu.

The key point in my posts isn’t to argue to that Windows is more secure than Linux, but rather to encourage a thoughtful reader to question the commonly held idea that Linux is more secure than Windows.  My perception is that many in the Linux community have an almost religious “devotion” to the belief that Linux is more secure than Windows, even in the presence of a growing body of contradictory evidence.  In my opinion, such evidence ought to cause an intellectually honest person to pause, and to possibly alter their position.  At a minimum, a summary statement on the issue ought to be “the assumed security superiority of Linux over Windows is questionable” (as opposed to “Linux is more secure than Windows”).

Wink

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #16 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 1:44pm

This article expresses the same sentiment I attempted to articulate in the prior post . . .

Quote:
Although the knee-jerk response from IT professionals is that Linux is more secure than Windows, the real answer is a lot more complex, according to a recently-released report from Forrester Research.

"When asked about the security of popular operating systems like Linux and Windows, many IT professionals have a reflexive reaction:  Linux is relatively secure; Windows isn't," Laura Koetzle, a senior analyst with Forrester said Wednesday.

But is that off-the-cuff dismissal of Windows on the mark?

Not really, said Koetzle, the primary author of Forrester's "Is Linux More Secure Than Windows?" report. …

"The bottom line?  Any of these platforms can be operated securely," said Koetzle.
Source:  Windows Vs. Linux Security:  Depends On Who You Ask

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #17 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 7:23pm

While I agree that any platform can be run securely, we've agreed that users often aren't experienced enough, observant enough, or motivated enough to take the necessary steps.  With Linux, things are often either secure by default, or you are forced to configure them securely before they will run. 

And I think I'll leave off this argument where I started it - I try not to have this discussion with anyone who hasn't personally run Linux long enough to become familiar with it.  It is difficult to understand the security inherent in Linux until you've used it.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 11:02am

MrMagoo, my perspective on the issue is that we are presently in a state of uncertainty:  for every compelling article that documents the security superiority of Linux over Windows, there is at least one article that argues the opposite.  The problem, in part, is that different authors have different conceptualizations of what “security” encompasses – and, more importantly, employ different metrics to assess the presence or absence of “security.”

Under these conditions of uncertainty, the only thing that is certain is the uncertainty itself.  In other words, it is no longer tenable (in my opinion) to assert that “Linux is more secure than Windows” with a high level of confidence.  A more arguable position, I believe, is the moderate assertion that the “assumed security superiority of Linux over Windows is questionable.”

Uncertainty ought to beget humility.

Smiley

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #19 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 7:14pm

I thought I post a quick link to an article I was reading about a new service where people can subscribe to virus updates.  Not antivirus, but virus updates.  The idea is that spammers and evildoers can pay a monthly fee to get fresh exploits.

What caught my eye is this this section from the article:

...many exploit providers simply wait for Microsoft's monthly patches, which they then reverse engineer to develop new exploit code against the disclosed vulnerabilities...

I think that really drives home the point that patching security holes quickly is a good thing, but it is much more important to not have security holes in the first place, since people are often slow to patch their systems or don't even know that they should be patching them.

Of course, taken from another angle, this underscores the importance of updating your computer frequently, something I think Windows and Linux have made easy for end users to do in the latest versions.

Edit:  Here is a link to the full article - http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;838771320;fp;16;fpid;0

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #20 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 4:51pm

On this same theme, a recent analysis of the “days-of-risk” by operating system has been published here.

In 2006, contrary to the generally accepted wisdom, users of Windows were at risk less than those of Linux due to the more prompt security response by Microsoft.  Even when only “high severity” incidents are considered, the same pattern of results holds:  one-third to one-half fewer “days-of-risk” for Windows users versus Linux users.

Of course, it is better not to have a security risk at all than to fix one promptly.  Nonetheless, all operating systems do experience security flaws, and these occurrences place their users at risk.  The fewer the “days-of-risk,” however, the more secure is the total experience.

This is interesting information for all who are concerned about security at the operating system level.  Hopefully, the security response from all vendors of operating systems will improve, but as this research shows, the trend for both Windows and Linux has been the opposite:  more "days-of-risk" in 2006 as compared to 2005.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #21 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 5:17pm

Interesting link.

IP Logged

acosby
Radmeister

Ha-ha! Dangly parts!

Albuquerque

Reply #22 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 5:50pm

Quote:
While I agree that any platform can be run securely, we've agreed that users often aren't experienced enough, observant enough, or motivated enough to take the necessary steps.

Mr.Magoo hit it right on here:
IMHO, Windows to an average end-user will be more secure.  Development teams get bank to make it idiot-proofed.  Linux, however, is not a "casual user" system.  Though it increasingly attempts to be.  Linux tends to be used by folks who know what they're doing with it.  Therefore, like Mr.Magoo pointed out, a more experienced user will make the system more secure.
The vast majority of problems I've encountered with security issues within various OS's have happened between the keyboard and the floor.

Mr. Server, I'd like you to meet Mr. Hammer.  I feel you'll enjoy each others' company.  At least I will.
acosby dark_reverend87@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #23 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 9:50am

Quote:
Starting with release 2.4 and then 2.6 of the Linux kernel, Linus Torvalds and company have been issuing updates every two to three months.  "We add 2,000 lines of code a day to the Linux kernel.  We work on 2,800 lines of code a day," said kernel developer Greg Kroah-Hartman.  "I've never seen the pace of change that Linux has shown."

That presents its own problems.  When new features are added to the kernel at that pace, they haven't necessarily been tested with all the requisite software and on the requisite systems.
 A questioner asked the kernel developers why they didn't engage in more regression testing, making sure a new kernel runs the same as the previous kernel in the same environments.

"There's a tension between introducing new features and stabilizing them," said James Bottomley, who works on the Linux kernel and also is CTO at SteelEye Technology. With developers committed to speeding up the pace of innovation, "what we really need is for the user community to help us track down bugs," he said.  "The user base is far bigger than the number of kernel developers."
Source:  Linux Community Looks Past Microsoft

No pre-release testing on Linux?  The user community is primarily responsible for “tracking down bugs”?  Could this be one reason why the “days-of-risk” with Linux is so high as compared to Windows?

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #24 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 1:52pm

I think the "days of risk" has to do with the fact that most of Linux is coded by volunteers.  Microsoft has a team of people it pays to correct flaws on a schedule that Microsoft sets.  Linux coders have lives and day jobs that slow them down.  This is, admittedly, one advantage of a commercial OS.

Fortunately, open source has a corresponding advantage in that everyone can review the code and find bugs, as Linus suggests.  There are many more honest people reading over the code than dishonest ones, so flaws are almost always discovered by honest people before they are discovered by malicious people.  Often, a patch is available to fix the problem before a crack is seen "in the wild" to exploit the hole.  Most would-be hackers don't actually have the skill to exploit a security vulnerability themselves, so they have to wait for someone to write a pre-formatted crack to help them.

In other words, there is almost always a patch available to fix the hole before a way to exploit the same hole is widely available.  The "days of vulnerability" doesn't take this into account.  Just because there is a hole there for 45 days doesn't mean that any large number of people can easily attack that vulnerability for that same number of days.

In contrast, there is a much smaller base of people who have access to Microsoft code.  Security holes in Windows are usually found by hackers who reverse engineer or decompile the OS.  Microsoft usually doesn't find out about a security issue until it is exploited, which is what drives the need for a very low "days of vulnerability" stat for them.  There is usually exploit code widely available during the entire period of vulnerability, so they have to fix it quick.  The problem is confounded by the fact that Windows is more popular, and is therefor a much more desirable target for hackers.  If you have a way into a Windows box, you have a lot more computers to choose from than if you are looking to attack Linux or Solaris.

I stand by my opinion that no one who has never run Linux long enough to be reasonably familiar with it has much basis to comment on its security.  Its a different paradigm as far as how to access files and make changes to the system, and statistics like "days of vulnerability" really don't show the whole picture.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #25 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 5:21pm

nice, lucid post.

slightly off-topic, in reference to 'reverse engineering' .. is it possible, with available tools, for a hacker to decompile windows and and see all the source code?

.. or do they only get an *idea* of what the source looks like?

tho some may disagree, i like the idea behind this statement:

Quote:
I stand by my opinion that no one who has never run Linux long enough to be reasonably familiar with it has much basis to comment on its security.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #26 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 6:14pm

There is no way to get the original source code.  I don't think Microsoft even makes which language the source code is written in public information (although I'm sure we could make a very educated guess.)  What you can see when you decompile software (as I understand it) is lists of the system calls the computer is making, which memory addresses it is reading and writing, and the instructions sent to the CPU.  Its a very geeky thing to try to do, but someone with experience at it can get a pretty good idea of how a program works.

IP Logged

acosby
Radmeister

Ha-ha! Dangly parts!

Albuquerque

Reply #27 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 9:57am

For something like Windows, though, would a hacker really need all the source code?  That seems like it's overly-complex.  After all, Windows' goal was to use Jobs' GUI to make a user-friendly, and easily accessible system.  In doing that, it seems like they've laid a lot of security flaws out in the open.
It's not that hard to learn Registry functions, Bios tweaks, or (though it seems to be phasing out) Dos hacks for Windows.

Mr. Server, I'd like you to meet Mr. Hammer.  I feel you'll enjoy each others' company.  At least I will.
acosby dark_reverend87@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #28 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 10:47am

Concerning Reply #24, MrMagoo, I believe you may have misunderstood the definition of the “days-of-risk” metric.

Quote:
Days-of-Risk (DoR) is a measurement of the time period of greatly increased risk from when a vulnerability has been publicly disclosed (and thus known and available to millions of script-kiddies and other malicious attackers) until a vendor patch is available to close the vulnerability.
Source:  Basic Guide to Days of Risk

The metric does not measure the time between when a developer at Microsoft or within the Linux community identifies a security risk and the time it is fixed.  “Days-of-risk” measures the time “from when a vulnerability has been publicly disclosed ... until a vendor patch is available to close the vulnerability.”  Thus, the point that Microsoft has paid personnel and the Linux community is collection of volunteers is not relevant; nor, is the point about a patch being available “to fix the problem before a crack is seen ‘in the wild’ to exploit the hole” germane.  That is not what is being measured by the “days-of-risk.”  To my way of thinking, this research showing that a Linux user is exposed to two to three times as many “days-of-risk” as a Windows user is indeed very compelling.

Although I understand you have a different option, I am troubled by your stance that “no one who has never run Linux long enough to be reasonably familiar with it has much basis to comment on its security.”  This is akin to saying that “no one who has never experienced God has much of a basis to comment on faith.”  Personally, I think such an intellectual position is quite unfortunate, and suffers from circular reasoning.  The way to learn and to grow to is engage with others who have different viewpoints, not to isolate yourself from divergent perspectives.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #29 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 1:18pm

I have not misunderstoond the "days of risk"; you have misunderstood the difference between a vulernability and an exploit.  Just because a vulernability is publicly disclosed doesn't mean that millions of script kiddies know who to exploit it.  There is a big gap between knowing of a vulernabilty and exploiting it.  Most of these kids don't know much - or anything - about programing.  They don't understand memory locations or buffer overflows.  They need a script they can run that will expliot the vurnability for them - hence the name script-kiddie.  It takes significant talent and time to write such a script - which is how a vulernability can be patched before it can be easily exploited, even if it is publicly disclosed for some time.

The idea behind disconunting the opinion of peopley who aren't familiar with Linux is not to close myself off from opposing points of view or different perspectives.  The idea is to take the oppsoing point of view with a grain of salt due to the limited insight available to someone who has no idea how Linux works.  The methods of gaining access to files, limiting permissions, and preventing configuration changes is different between Linux and Windows, so some knowledge of how the system works is necessary to comment intelligently on studies like this.  I used Windows exclusivly for years, and continue to use it on a daily basis.  I favor Linux based on my knowledge of both systems and my first hand experience.  I welcome you to install and run a Linux distribution for a few months and learn how it works and then provide us all with your reactions to what you find.  I would be very interested in the reactions to Linux of an analytical long-time Windows user like yourself.

I extend this challenge to you and anyone else willing to take me up on it:

Try it.  Try Linux.  You might like it.  And if you don't, I honestly will want to hear why.  If I agree with you, I'll even work on submitting feature requests to the relevant devolpment team(s) to make Linux better.  I've written a guide that should make Linux approachable for someone with any level of experience.  If you find anything incorrect or lacking in my guide, I would really like to hear about that too.  I am always open to feedback on my guides, and would welcome any oppertunity to improve it - especially since you are just about the exact type of computer user I was targeting when I wrote it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print