Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Creating bootable DVD with Ghost 10 (Read 19145 times)
creatorul
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Creating bootable DVD with Ghost 10
Reply #15 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 4:16pm

Thanks for your answers

I have one more problem. I backed-up my C: and from 18 GB he made 10 GB with no compression selected.
The second problem: I boot from the original cd, no problems. When I have to choose the recovery image , I have to eject the CD with Ghost and insert my dvd with the image. If I do this then he prompts me to insert Ghost CD.
What can I do ?

Thank you

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #16 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 4:24pm

You'll find that when you are restoring from a backup image on DVD's or CD's that Ghost will ask you do do a lot of swapping of them back and forth.  That's normal (but annoying).  If you have a separate DVD drive from the CD drive, that helps some.

Did you backup directly to DVD or to a different hard drive first?

Also, I usually select normal compression.  Never had a problem with that and tends to make the backup image files smaller.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

creatorul
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 4:32pm

I selected standard compression . I hope that wouldn't be a problem .
I made the images on my hdd and the burned them on DVD ,as you suggested .
That isn't a problem if it request swapping , but it would be a problem if he need both the cd and the image DVD at the same time Smiley .
A simple question: what should I burn on dvds . I have the following files : BOGDAN.sv2i  C_Drive001.v2i  C_Drive001_s01.v2i  C_Drive001_s02.v2i
I think BOGDAN.sv2i  contains informations about the recovery and should be on the first dvd ,  or should I copy it on each dvd ? He is small ( 3 KB).

Thank you all for your answers
especially Ghost4me for all your support and fast answers Wink
Great forum

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #18 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 4:43pm

Standard compression is good.  I read in one of your earlier posts you said you used no compression which makes the image files bigger.

Even if you have a CD drive as well as an additional DVD drive, you will still get prompts from switching DVD's.  Part of the reason is that the final directory of what is on the DVD's is (I think) on the last DVD.  So Ghost seems to want to check the directory (last DVD) and then look in other DVD's for the restore.  The effect is that Ghost will ask for 1st DVD, then last DVD, then first DVD and back and forth several times.  If you are patient enough it will eventually work.

That's why many backup to an external USB2 drive which is physically separate from the pc, and then periodically copy the split images to DVD's which are really cheap now.  That is what I do and the DVD's are a 2nd layer of backup protection failure.  Better yet is to keep the DVD's at some other location so if someone steals your pc (or you have a fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane, etc.) and everything in the office, you still have a backup.

Glad to help.  There are many good experts that frequent this forum and post frequently.  Just by reading their comments I have learned a lot.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #19 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 4:45pm

creatorul wrote on Nov 1st, 2006 at 4:32pm:
A simple question: what should I burn on dvds . I have the following files : BOGDAN.sv2i  C_Drive001.v2i  C_Drive001_s01.v2i  C_Drive001_s02.v2i
I think BOGDAN.sv2i  contains informations about the recovery and should be on the first dvd ,  or should I copy

You're correct.  You really only need the *.v2i files.  I'm not really sure what the sv2i file is for.  Maybe Brian or someone else knows?

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #20 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 5:19pm

The .SV2I file "should" also be copied onto the first DVD disc in the set, according to the Norton Ghost 9.0 User’s Guide (pages 36-37).

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print