Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 won't run now (Read 9792 times)
G_Man49
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 10 won't run now
Jan 2nd, 2007 at 7:26am

Just purchased yesterday and got off to a good start...sort of Wink.  I was making back ups as I reinstalled all of my software after a worm invasion!  It worked fine for the first 4 backups.  Then I reinstalled my wireless keyboard and mouse and started a backup.  It froze on the first DOS (choose 1. or 2.) screen.  I remember reading about having to use a wired keyboard, but what do I do now?  I had to manually turn off twice and then it booted back to Windows.  I then changed (of course) to a wired keyboard, but it still sticks at the same place.  Any ideas out there?  thanks, Gary

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 10 won't run now
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8:43am

Gary, your post was somewhat confusing.  Ghost 10 doesn’t use DOS (but Ghost 2003 does).

Can you kindly provide more details on your situation?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

G_Man49
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 9:58am

Pleonasm wrote on Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8:43am:
Gary, your post was somewhat confusing.  Ghost 10 doesn’t use DOS (but Ghost 2003 does).

Can you kindly provide more details on your situation?

Sorry for the confusion.  At the beginning of the "backup" you're in Windows, but then closes and goes through a reboot, DOS screen (black and white for a minutes or so), and then moves to a DOS-like colored screen while monitoring progress of back up.  My problem occurs right after leaving Windows.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 10:47am

G_Man

You appear to be using
Ghost 2003
and not Ghost 10!

Change back to both PS/2 wired keyboard and wired mouse--does that solve the problem?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

G_Man49
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 11:03am

NightOwl wrote on Jan 2nd, 2007 at 10:47am:
G_Man

You appear to be using
Ghost 2003
and not Ghost 10!

Change back to both PS/2 wired keyboard and wired mouse--does that solve the problem?

I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks.

IP Logged

G_Man49
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 2:30pm

NightOwl wrote on Jan 2nd, 2007 at 10:47am:
G_Man

You appear to be using
Ghost 2003
and not Ghost 10!

OK.  I'm back at my computer.  Here's what came in the box from Comp USA:
The box says Norton Ghost 10.0
The box contains two CD's
One CD says Ghost 10.0
One CD says Ghost 2003
I used the Ghost 10.0 on the install (at least I think I did)

There was no explanation I can find in the Guide regarding the Ghost 2003 CD

IP Logged

G_Man49
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 3:53pm

G_Man49 wrote on Jan 2nd, 2007 at 11:03am:
I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks.

Thanks NightOwl!  Wired keyboard and mouse did the trick! 

A couple of more questions and comments come to mind after reading a few more posts on the Forum:

2003 version seems to be the most bulletproof.  Should I actually try a restore before I spend any more time setting everything in order...just to see if it works?  or is it really bulletproof? Cheesy

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 4:21pm

G_Man

Quote:
2003 version seems to be the most bulletproof.

Actually, both Ghost 2003 and Ghost 9/10 have good track records--all can on certain setups be incompatible with certain hardware--most problems are user misunderstanding of the terminology used by the various Ghost programs and/or misunderstanding partitioning and how Ghost interacts and effects the partition layout of a system--which causes boot problems after doing wrong Ghost procedures.

The different versions of Ghost have their strengths and weakness, have varying abilities--so you have to see what features you want, and what features you may be able to live without to help decide which is best for you!

Dell systems and some others have non-standard hidden utility and restore partitions that can cause major headaches with Ghosting!

Quote:
Should I actually try a restore before I spend any more time setting everything in order...just to see if it works?

Personally, I wouldn't have faith in any backup/restore program until I actually did a successful backup and then a restore--and I would use a spare HDD to protect my original HDD from any possible problems until I was sure everything works as planned!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 9:46pm

Quote:
"... 2003 version seems to be the most bulletproof..."

As far as "bulletproof" goes, when faced with a dying Compaq Presario system I had the robust "cold-imaging" Norton Ghost Ver 8.2 succeed in a Windows Preinstalled Environment running from a CD when all else failed - including Norton Ghost 2003 running from a bootable floppy.  Although I am admittedly not qualified to comment on "hot-imaging" products such as Norton Ghost 9, Ghost 10, or Norton Save & Restore one way or the other, my money would be on Ver 8.2 in extremis.  

EP
Cry

IP Logged

G_Man49
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 7:25am

NightOwl wrote on Jan 2nd, 2007 at 4:21pm:
G_Man

Actually, both Ghost 2003 and Ghost 9/10 have good track records--all can on certain setups be incompatible with certain hardware--most problems are user misunderstanding of the terminology used by the various Ghost programs and/or misunderstanding partitioning and how Ghost interacts and effects the partition layout of a system--which causes boot problems after doing wrong Ghost procedures.

The different versions of Ghost have their strengths and weakness, have varying abilities--so you have to see what features you want, and what features you may be able to live without to help decide which is best for you!

Dell systems and some others have non-standard hidden utility and restore partitions that can cause major headaches with Ghosting!

Personally, I wouldn't have faith in any backup/restore program until I actually did a successful backup and then a restore--and I would use a spare HDD to protect my original HDD from any possible problems until I was sure everything works as planned!

Thanks for the "heads up" about Dell systems.  I noticed the hidden partition in the restore dialog so I "unchecked it". 
One more question about USB connections: the dialog says to choose 1.1 if there is a mixture.  My only choices in "radio" buttons is "0" or "2.0" because the 1.1 button is "grayed out".  Do I just proceed with "0" because that is the safe thing to do?

IP Logged

G_Man49
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 7:45am

Regarding the immediate post above:
I should have also asked that if I have done backups with the USB 2.0 button checked and I actually have a mixture of USB connections, will I encounter unsolvable problems...or is there an EASY noobie work around?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #11 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 8:42am

G_Man

Quote:
There was no explanation I can find in the Guide regarding the Ghost 2003 CD

Ghost 2003's installation CD is included with the Ghost 10 package to cover those who can not use Ghost 10 on their system.  Ghost 10 only works on NT-based systems like Win2k, and WinXP that support *.net* based programs--and Win98se and ME user systems will not support *.net*.

Quote:
Thanks for the "heads up" about Dell systems.  I noticed the hidden partition in the restore dialog so I "unchecked it".

You will want to spend some time reading up on Dell's hidden partition:

Dan Goodell's *Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition*:

Dan Goodell's *Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition*

Dan Goodell's *Inside the Dell Utility Partition*:

Dan Goodell's *Inside the Dell Utility Partition*

Radified Forum Threads on Ghost and Dell's hidden partitions:

Ghost and PC Restore on Dell

Ghost 9 copy drive probs

Quote:
Do I just proceed with "0" because that is the safe thing to do?

I should have also asked that if I have done backups with the USB 2.0 button checked and I actually have a mixture of USB connections, will I encounter unsolvable problems...

Putting a check in one of the USB DOS driver box just makes Ghost load those drivers when it re-boots to DOS to perform the Ghost procedure--the only problem could be a failure to properly boot to DOS--but usually one get an error message during boot, but the boot continues successfully, but without the drivers to access USB devices.

So, if you are not actually using USB HDD's in DOS to store or recover Ghost images from--then your images are fine and are unaffected by having checked one of those boxes.

If you are not using USB devices--best to leave support for those unchecked.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print