HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10.0 Hangs (Read 16532 times)
nkqx57a
Dude

Ghost 10.0 Hangs
Nov 6th, 2006 at 12:27am

I have been a user of Norton Utilities for 20 years...however, I believe this will be my last purchase of these utilities. I purchased SystemWorks 2006 about a year ago...and have had only problems from day-one. This latest problem is with Ghost, it hangs during backup of recovery point. WHY?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 10.0 Hangs
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 1:11am

nkqx57a,

Any error messages? Any other details that might help us?

IP Logged

nkqx57a
Dude

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 4:19pm

Thanks for your contact...no error messages...Ghost just hangs and hangs my system requiring a re-boot. I have tried I think just about everything (deleteing and re-creating the job and schedule, as well as deleteing all entry-point backups). I have not tried a uninstall of Ghost because every time I uninstall anything associated with SystemWorks I end up having to do a complete un-uninstall and re-install SystemWorks. I have already done this 4 times. Things seem OK for awhile then something like this happens. Running Win2000 SP4 with latest updates.

I have been to the support site several times without any success in finding a solution, beyond uninstall/reinstall. For me this solution does not solve the problems with SystemWorks. They only continue returning and showing up when I need these utilities the most.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 4:40pm

nkqx57a,

Try This 

I know it says WinXP SP2 and I don't know if DEP is used in Win2000. Using DEP in WinXP has varying results. Some swear by it. If I make the changes recommended by Symantec then I am unable to manually create backup images.

From memory, you don't have to do Step 2 as the boot.ini automatically changes.

Let us know if it leads anywhere.

IP Logged

nkqx57a
Dude

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 6:44pm

Not sure...maybe we are not on the same page...this is Ghost 10.0 under Win2000. Ghost comes up ok during bootup. It just started hanging up during the overnight backups. So I tired running a manual backup (forcing a backup to run) and each and every time Ghost would hangup at various times while doing the backup. I tried it several times, same results, forcing me to re-boot my system each time.

Can not find DEP in control panel/system/advanced...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 9:14pm

My mistake. There is no DEP in Win2000. I haven't seen any reports describing your problem. Sorry.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 9:34pm

Are you backing up to an external HD?

IP Logged

nkqx57a
Dude

Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 10:02pm

No...my backup is from Drive C to Drive D; both same size internal hard drives. Thanks for your help...While reviewing your link above...found this...could this be the problem? http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/0/8acd70308b4fa246c12566ff0050d2d...

I do have a lot of compress (Zipped) files; however, I am unaware of any encrypted files.

As an IT Professional and a long time user of Norton/Symantec products, I have come to the conclusion that with each new upgrade that I purchased, problems were no doubt going to be part of the hazel of upgrading. With each one, the problems just seemed to get worse, more complicated, and very time consuming in trying to fix them; if you call 90% functionality fixing it. There seemed to always be one product or various functionalities that just did not work, at least fully work the way it was suppose too. Before I purchase any product, I review documentation, especially looking for known problems or compatibility issues. In this case, I found none that would affect me, but I must have overlooked something. I regret after 20+ years, that this was my last purchase of Norton Utilities in any form.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 10:22pm

Again, this is not for your system but it does describe a compression problem similar to your link. What compression level are you choosing?

Here

IP Logged

nkqx57a
Dude

Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 10:34pm

Using Standard Compression...will try High...let you know!

Using High Compression worked, however it took about 5 times longer to complete vs Standard Compression. The question then is...why did it work with high compression and not with standard compression?

Again thanks for your help...have a great day!!!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 1:41am

Good news. I think you deserve the credit for this discovery.

Quote:
The algorithm of the standard compression in Norton Ghost 9.0 conflicts with the new Microsoft feature Data Execution Prevention (DEP) that is turned on by default when Service Pack 1 for Windows 2003 Server or Service Pack 2 for Windows XP is installed. To fix the problem, change the compression level from Standard to High.

Well, you don't have Ghost 9 or DEP but changing the compression worked. I don't recall anyone in this forum mentioning this problem .
On my computer, High compression takes 3 times longer than Normal compression. I accept this.

IP Logged

nkqx57a
Dude

Reply #11 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 8:37am

Thank you for helping. It always seems that resolving a problem is easier when two or more are working the problem.

The over night scheduled incremental recovery point also worked. This is great for me...need the backups for I have had to deal with HD crash-n-burns without backups too many times over the years.

Thanks again, I do appreciate your help...

Neal

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #12 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 8:47am

nkqx57a and Brian

Just goes to show you that each computer system is *unique* and the problems can be baffling!

Good detective work!

nkqx57a--does Ghost 10 have the intermediate compression setting also--could try that for faster speed--and to see if that gets past the compatibility issue as well!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

nkqx57a
Dude

Reply #13 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 3:26pm

Yes, Ghost 10.0 has an intermediate (medium) setting. I will try it...will let you know how it turns out.

PS -- love your "No question is stupid"...but possibly the answer is! No doubt about it, the answers I got from Symantec were very stupid!!!

Yes...the medium or intermediate setting also worked. Just for kicks think I will try the normal standard setting again, to see if it works or fails again. I will let you know the results.

Thanks,
Neal

IP Logged

nkqx57a
Dude

Reply #14 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 9:28pm

As I have indicated, SystemWorks Premier 2006 has been nothing but trouble for me over the past year. It took 6 months to finally get it working…after 4 un-installs and editing my registry several times. These last six months have had its downside too…Ghost would for some unknown reason fail and hang-ups were the latest problem. I am now being asked by Symantec for $49.95 to continue my upgrade services for another year. However, I have reservations about paying for something that only occasionally works. With the problems experienced using Ghost on backups, I have doubts whether the restore would work as expected. Does anyone have suggestions for a replacement for SystemWorks?

Anyway the results of my testing:

Standard compression – use to work, now it doesn’t on the creation of the initial Entry Point Backup. Works fine on the Incremental Backups.

Intermediate and High compression – works for both Entry Point Initial Backup and the Incremental Backups.

Thanks for all the help…it is appreciated more than you know!

Neal

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print