HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10.0 Hangs (Read 16533 times)
nkqx57a
Dude

Re: Ghost 10.0 Hangs
Reply #15 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 12:42am

Angry Well...the problems are back. It started again about a week before Christmas. Symantec says the same thing again...do an un-install of SystemWorks and then re-install SkystemWorks.  Tongue Like that is going to correct everything. Shocked That does not address the root cause... why...They still refuse to admit they have an unstable product. Yet, I am still being asked to update my subscription. Shocked Don't figure...Don't think so... Tongue Any suggestions on a replacement for SystemWorks Premier... Thanks,  Grin

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #16 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 5:56pm

moving you to the new ghost 9/10 forum.

rad

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #17 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 9:02am

Nkqx57a, I used Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier for a year, and experienced no difficulties whatsoever.  At the end of my subscription period, however, I choose to uninstall SystemWorks and simply buy a copy of Ghost 10 proper – because that was really the only component of SystemWorks that I was using anyway.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

nkqx57a
Dude

Reply #18 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 10:04am

What is your operating environment (OE)? My OE is an HP VL400 with Windows 2000 SP/4.

Did you turn on NSW protection during or after installation?

How do you use Ghost (setup & running details)?

I use all the NSW tools (when they work); however, some functions have never worked and some only work sometimes.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #19 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 11:55am

Nkqx57a, what “NSW protection” are you referencing?  I also used (and continue to use) Norton Internet Security (NIS), and rely upon that suite to provide all security protections (firewall, anti-virus, etc.).

I use Ghost 10 (formerly from within NSW and now as a separate application) to make automatic scheduled backups (i.e., independent recovery points).  Never had an issue.

If you have more than one Symantec application on your PC, note that you need to install them in chronological order (e.g., NSW 2006 must be installed before NIS 2007).

I am using Windows XP Professional SP2.  Note that the current version of NSW is not supported for Windows 2000, and I suspect the same is true for NSW 2006.

The stand-alone Ghost 10 application is supported for Windows 2000 Pro with SP4 or higher.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

nkqx57a
Dude

Reply #20 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 11:36pm

The NSW protection is turned on by default at installation. Turn it on is suppose to protect the installed files from corruption.

I created scheduled backups to automatically run over night, after creating a recovery point. Initially, this worked, but then the nightly backups started to hang-up the PC. So I deleted all backups and recovery points. I tried creating new ones (including independent) using high compression. They seemed to run OK, and then again, the nightly backups started to hang-up the PC. These hang-ups required rebooting the PC. Now Ghost 10 hangs-up in creating the recovery points, no matter what compression I use.

I only have NSW Premier 2006, which I have installed and un-installed 5 times (as requested by Symantec TechSupport. This latest re-install has not corrected the hang-up problem. BTW, Symantec TechSupport is really no Tech Support. Their answer to every problem is reinstalling NSW. I don’t think they even know how to analyze and work a problem.

I am using Windows 2000 Pro SP4 w/latest updates…I checked with Symantec before purchasing NSW Premier 2006 in Nov 2005; and was told the product would work under Win2000. Symantec’s TechSupport knows that I am running Win2000 Pro SP4 w/latest updates. Is there something wrong with using NSW Premier 2006 with Win2000?

Thanks,
Neal

IP Logged

nkqx57a
Dude

Reply #21 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 11:31pm

Cry Well, I finally got a response…just what I was expecting…uninstall and re-install SystemWorks. I believe I have had enough …I am calling it quits…after 15 months of trying to get SystemWorks to work I have given up. Symantec’s Support leaves much to be desired…Requested a refund…doubt if I get one.

Now I must find a replacement for SystemWorks. After almost 20 years of using Norton Utilities, I regret having to change. But the robustness in those utilities is no longer there and with all the problems I have experienced, especially with the last three releases, I should have done this long ago.

Thanks for all your help…to bad it was all for no gain!

Neal

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print