Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Norton Ghost 12:  Beta Release
Reply #15 - Apr 8th, 2007 at 5:50pm

ckcc wrote on Apr 8th, 2007 at 5:18pm:
Guess I could just try it, huh?

ckcc,

On my computer, I don't even know Ghost is running (Pentium D 3.2). No slowdown at all. My son has a P3 800 and you certainly do notice that Ghost is running.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #16 - Apr 8th, 2007 at 6:22pm

Ckcc, you can – of course – throttle the performance of Norton Ghost 10 while it is running using the "Slow – Fast" slider.

Rad, concerning Reply #7, I tested the encryption feature of Norton Ghost 10 at the "standard" (AES 128-bit) level, and it is completely transparent to the user.  The recovery point file size - and the time to create it - are essentially identical.  Now knowing this, I see no disadvantage to adding a higher level of protection to the recovery point using encryption.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #17 - May 1st, 2007 at 11:28am

Norton Ghost 12 has arrived.  Information on the product (and the ability to purchase it) is now available on the Symantec website.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #18 - May 1st, 2007 at 3:41pm

Below are some of the more salient points that I noticed while reading the Norton Ghost 12 documentation.
  • ”Norton Ghost does not support dual boot or boot-strapping environments” (Norton Ghost 12.0 Readme).
  • ”You can back up a BitLocked drive and then restore it using the Symantec Recovery Disk CD” (Yes!) (Norton Ghost 12.0 Readme).
  • ”If you are running Windows Vista and attempt to restore your system drive using recovery points that span multiple CDs or DVDs, you might encounter a known error” (Norton Ghost 12.0 Readme).
  • Norton Ghost 12.0 allows the user to create a custom Symantec Recovery Disk containing the storage drivers you need (Norton Ghost 12.0 User’s Guide, page 19).
  • ”Do not run a disk defragmentation program during a backup.  Doing so will significantly increase the time that it takes to create the recovery point and might cause unexpected system resource issues” (Norton Ghost 12.0 User’s Guide, page 40).
  • Recovery points may be converted to VMWare or Microsoft virtual disk formats (Norton Ghost 12.0 User’s Guide, page 110).
  • ”The recovery environment requires a minimum of 512 MB of RAM to run.  If your computer's video card is configured to share your computer's RAM, you might need more than 512 MB of RAM” (Norton Ghost 12.0 User’s Guide, page 132).
  • Multiple drives may be restored in one operation by using the system index file (Norton Ghost 12.0 User’s Guide, page 140).
Norton Ghost 12 documentation is available from this Symantec website.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Norton Ghost 12
Reply #19 - May 2nd, 2007 at 10:40am

Other observations on Norton Ghost 12:
  • It is now possible to run command files pre-/post-backup (Norton Ghost 12.0 User’s Guide, page 53).
  • There is no mention of any support for ‘legacy’ Ghost images (*.GHO files).  Therefore, it is unlikely that Ghost 2003 (in DOS) or Ghost 8.2 (in Windows PE) is included with Norton Ghost 12.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #20 - May 2nd, 2007 at 12:33pm

Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 appears to be quite similar to Norton Ghost 12.0, with the primary addition of the ability to restore on dissimilar hardware.  Readers of this thread may therefore find it helpful to view a nice movie that provides an introduction to the capabilities (see Backup Exec System Recovery Flash Demo link at the bottom of this webpage).

It occurs to me that the remote backup/restore feature of Norton Ghost 12.0 may possibly be helpful for those who serve as “system administrators” and “troubleshooters” for friends and family in distant locations.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #21 - May 3rd, 2007 at 12:36pm

Sample screen images of Norton Ghost 12.0 are available for viewing at:  Symantec Releases New Norton Programs.

IP Logged

enchanter
Ex Member

Reply #22 - May 20th, 2007 at 12:50am

how do you restore disks with .gho files using ghost 12. I had ghost 2003 and have backups that I would syill like to recover with ghost 12 installed on my system.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #23 - May 20th, 2007 at 8:44am

Enchanter, it is not possible to restore a .GHO image file using Norton Ghost 12 (although with Norton Ghost 10 the functionality is present in the recovery environment).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print