Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 - Ghost 2003 compatibility ? (Read 10066 times)
LakeH
N00b

If not now, when?

Washington, DC

Ghost 10 - Ghost 2003 compatibility ?
Apr 3rd, 2007 at 12:36pm

Hi,

I confess that I have never used Ghost, but my office and a number of my friends swear by it for cloning their computer operating system and files.  

Since I recently had a hard disk failure and had to reformat and reinstall Windows XP Pro and all my software (plus copy most but not all  Sad  of my data files), I purchased Ghost 10 (retail version with Ghost 2003 included).  Then I started reading about how Ghost 10 wasn't "really" Ghost of yore.  

The version my office and friends use is the older version 2003.   But Ghost 2003 seems to be an all or nothing proposition, which doesn't make provision for incremental backups and individual file restores.    On the other hand, Ghost 10, does do backups and incremental backus, and individual file restores, but seems to be a challenge if you are restoring an image file to a new drive or cloning a separate HD as a backup.  

It would seem that if you could have Ghost 10 AND Ghost 2003 installed, you would be fully covered.   BUT, the installation instructions for Ghost 10 say to remove ALL prior versions of Ghost before installing.   If that is really true, why on earth do they include Ghost 2003 with the retail version of Ghost 10?  

Does anybody have both installed and functioning?  

One approach I've considered is to install Ghost 2003 to my newly reconfigured computer.   Use Ghost 2003 to clone my system drive to a separate HD.   Remove the "clone" from the computer.  Uninstall Ghost 2003 and install Ghost 10.  Use Ghost 10 for normal backups and incrementals.  If I have another failure, replace the HD with the "clone".  Install Ghost 10, and restore from the Ghost backups.   But that seems to be a stupid way of doing it.  

Can anyone direct me (novice with Ghost, but fairly knowledgeable with PC's and operating systems) to a step by step procedure for using Ghost 10 to fully backup the System partition that works?

Thanks much for any advice that you might want to pass on.

LakeH

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost 10 - Ghost 2003 compatibility ?
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 1:19pm

ghost 2003 *will* do individual file restores, with "ghost explorer" but not incremental images (which i don't find to be a problem).

Quote:
The version my office and friends use is the older version 2003.

must be smart people.  Smiley

Quote:
challenge if you are restoring an image file to a new drive or cloning a separate HD as a backup

i don't think that's the case, but admit i've never used ghost 10. ghost 10 gurus should clarify.

Quote:
It would seem that if you could have Ghost 10 AND Ghost 2003 installed, you would be fully covered.  

you are exactly correct.

you can run ghost 2003 from a floppy or bootable cd .. without ever installing the program. this is really the hot ticket (using *both*).

if you don't have a floppy, or don't want to buy one:

http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/bootcdintro.html

Quote:
Use Ghost 2003 to clone my system drive to a separate HD.   Remove the "clone" from the computer.  Uninstall Ghost 2003 and install Ghost 10.  Use Ghost 10 for normal backups and incrementals.  If I have another failure, replace the HD with the "clone".  Install Ghost 10, and restore from the Ghost backups.   But that seems to be a stupid way of doing it.

never thot of that. doesn't seem so stupid.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 2:45pm

LakeH wrote on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 12:36pm:
"... One approach I've considered is to install Ghost 2003 to my newly reconfigured computer.   Use Ghost 2003 to clone my system drive to a separate HD.   Remove the "clone" from the computer.  Uninstall Ghost 2003 and install Ghost 10.  Use Ghost 10 for normal backups and incrementals.  If I have another failure, replace the HD with the "clone".  Install Ghost 10, and restore from the Ghost backups.   But that seems to be a stupid way of doing it..."

There is an alternative approach not yet mentioned, albeit only Pleonasm has reported actual experience.  View the image below to realize that there are indeed "two-sides-of-the-street-to-walk-on" Roll Eyes  Actually, with just with your Norton Ghost 10 installation CD alone you have the choice of "walking-on-the-dark-side (hot-imaging)" or "walking-on-the-bright-side (cold-imaging)".   However, to do so satisfactorily you would be wise to restrict yourself to the "(whole)disk-to-image" legacy Norton Ghost Backup procedure with its concomitant "image-to-disk" legacy Ghost Restore whenever "cold-imaging" Angry  

To enjoy such flexibility, start off by simply using the NG10 installation CD in booting up into what is called the Windows XP Preinstallation Environment to immediately engage the legacy Backup/Restore "cold-imaging" procedures by following the path
'Recover > Recover Data on My Computer > Recover using a legacy Ghost image'
and create a "disk-to-image" legacy Norton Ghost Backup image to reside anywhere else other than on your MASTER HDD.  Doing this yields the side benefit of bypassing both USB mass-storage device and - most, if not all - SATA HDD glitches frequently encountered with DOS-dependent Norton Ghost 2003.  In essence, this procedure uses
restoreghost.exe
(an alternate name for
ghost32.exe
) to allow both immediate creation of Ghost Backup images or the converse Restore (recovery) of such images that are in fact totally compatible and interchangeable with those *.gho/*.ghs files created with the
ghost.exe
of Norton Ghost 2003
-
but not with those files created with your Norton Ghost 10.0 software during
"hot-imaging" sesssions.

You could use Norton Ghost 2003 on bootable media to essentially do the same thing, but I have found Ghost Ver 8.2 running in WIN PE to be more robust under deteriorating conditions.  Be sure to perform an Integrity Check on your legacy Ghost Backup image so you can then get started on installing and enjoying Norton Ghost 10.  As an aside, if you really want to get downright fancy, you can even go so far as to incorporate the essential components of the "cold-imaging" Norton Ghost Ver 8.2 while generating a bootable BartPE or Reatogo-X-PE CD to run in the Windows XP Preinstalled Environment (see below).  In the event of a HDD failure or catastrophic viral attack, this is indeed a handy item to have to start down the road to recovery.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

LakeH
N00b

If not now, when?

Washington, DC

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 3:25pm

Thanks, I really appreciate your assistance Rad and El_Pescadora.

A couple of questions:

Rad, are you saying that I could run Ghost 2003 completely from the CD, including making the initial HD clone (or image) of the System partion without installing it?

And El_P, are you saying basically the same thing about the Ghost 10?   Can you create the initial backup (clone or image) of the System partion on a separate HD without installing Ghost 10 on the System drive? 

In your quote:  "by following the path 'Recover > Recover Data on My Computer > Recover using a legacy Ghost image' and create a "disk-to-image" legacy Norton Ghost Backup image"  does this mean that even though the Path is "Recover ..." you are really creating a backup?

(And how do you highlight and quote from the original posting in your reply ?)

Thanks again,

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 3:34pm

LakeH wrote on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 12:36pm:
BUT, the installation instructions for Ghost 10 say to remove ALL prior versions of Ghost before installing.       

LakeH,

As others have pointed out, you can install Ghost 10 and run it from Windows to create full and incremental recovery points. You can use Ghost 2003 from DOS to create alternative backup images. So you can use both apps but both can't be installed in Windows at the same time.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 3:46pm

Quote:
Rad, are you saying that I could run Ghost 2003 completely from the CD, including making the initial HD clone (or image) of the System partion without installing it?

Yes. You needn't install Ghost 2003 to be able to use it (from DOS).

Do you have a separate Ghost 2003 CD? If so, it should be bootable.

Ghost 2003, if you INSTALL it, offers a Windows interface, which is more user-friendly, but isn't necessary, and it will reboot to DOS anyway prior to actually creating your images.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 3:59pm

LakeH wrote on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 3:25pm:
"... Can you create the initial backup (clone or image) of the System partion on a separate HD without installing Ghost 10 on the System drive?..."

A legacy Backup Image for sure, and I think it is possible to legacy Clone as well.  However, I try to dissuade folks away from cloning except under very limited circumstances.    

LakeH wrote on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 3:25pm:
"... by following the path 'Recover > Recover Data on My Computer > Recover using a legacy Ghost image' and create a "disk-to-image" legacy Norton Ghost Backup image'  does this mean that even though the Path is 'Recover ...' you are really creating a backup?..."

As stated above and back upstream, both legacy Ghost Backup and Ghost Restore procedures are definitely permitted with NG10 (whereas NG9 only permits the legacy Restore procedure), but I remain somewhat hazy about performing a legacy Ghost Clone procedure.

EP
Cry

BTW  Strike the 'Quote' radio button in the upper right quadrant of my post to reveal such techniques.  I always 'Cut-and-Paste' the entire body of text and graphics to a temporary Notepad file for use while constructing a subsequent post.

IP Logged

LakeH
N00b

If not now, when?

Washington, DC

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 4:06pm

Thanks again,

Also, I found the directions for quoting and using the YaBBC tags.

Rad wrote on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 3:46pm:
Quote:
   Smiley

Ghost 2003, if you INSTALL it, offers a Windows interface, which is more user-friendly, but isn't necessary, and it will reboot to DOS anyway prior to actually creating your images.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 4:41pm

Quote:
Also, I found the directions for quoting and using the YaBBC tags.

I'm almost embarrassed to ask (since this is my forum) .. but HOW do you do that? (include the "quote from" part) Embarrassed

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 5:05pm

Instead of clicking on Reply icon below the last post, click on the Quote icon on the top right of the last post's message (or any post's message).  I guess the board software puts it the link etc. of who it is from.

I use that method and then delete out parts of the quote if I just want to reference only a small part of the poster's message.

I agree it's not obvious, but that's just what happens.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 5:49pm

John. wrote on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 5:05pm:
Instead of clicking on Reply icon below the last post, click on the Quote icon on the top right of the last post's message (or any post's message).

Hey, hey. Cool.

Thanks John.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print