HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
SATA Versus SCSI (Read 35746 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

SATA Versus SCSI
Apr 7th, 2007 at 10:46am

The Radified Guide to Booting from a SCSI Drive implies that SCSI will deliver better performance than SATA.  However, when looking at the WD Raptor in a single-user (not server) environment, it outperforms a wide variety of SCSI (SAS) drives – even those running at 15K RPM (see  Single-User Performance).  Additionally, the speed of the interface (i.e., whether SATA or SCSI in Gb/s) isn't a limiting factor in hard disk drive performance, since the bandwidth is so much higher than what a SATA or SCSI drive can deliver anyway.

True, the WD Raptor is high-end SATA drive, but doesn't this comparison suggest that framing the problem in terms of the interface ("SATA versus SCSI") is misleading?

All comments are welcome.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: SATA Versus SCSI
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 1:02pm

An article examining SCSI versus SATA found the following.

Quote:
Frankly, I was surprised by the results!  They show that SATA has a performance advantage!  10K RPM Raptor SATA drives appear to be on par with the performance of even a 15K RPM SCSI drive, and with NCQ, SATA even holds a very significant lead! …

Now keep in mind that we're strictly talking about hard drive performance.  Take a look at the "XP Booting" benchmarks in the last graphic -- you'll notice that is the area in which SCSI holds one of the only advantages to SATA.  This is due to CPU utilization -- SCSI drives simply don't use as much CPU power to run, leaving more CPU time for the rest of the system.  Based on those numbers, if you are looking to build the fastest possible computer, it does appear that SCSI holds onto a very marginal performance lead. If you are only concerned with getting the highest disk throughput possible, then SATA with NCQ is the way to go!  I should also add that given the right SCSI drive (i.e., a 146GB 15k RPM), you can still beat the performance of the 74GB Raptor with NCQ, but your costs will be three to four times higher.
Source:  SCSI vs SATA, Which is Faster?

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 3:14pm

I think the "SCSI is faster" mentality developed back in the ATA 33 days when the speed of the interface WAS the limiting factor.  SCSI can still outperform SATA in high end server RAID configurations.  On a desktop, I think it would be difficult to see the same performance. 

To say the least, I don't think that SCSI will give nearly enough performance increase to justify the increased cost.  SCSI controllers and drives are expensive.  You could get 3 WD Raptor drives and put them in RAID 5 for the same price as a good SCSI controller and drive.  Just thinking about the performance of RAIDed Raptors gets me excited.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 4:24pm

Thanks, MrMagoo, for the reply.

But, why does the WD Raptor deliver such solid performance?

If you compare the hardware specifications of the Raptor (e.g., Access Time and Transfer Rate) to other high-end SCSI drives (e.g., Seagate Cheetah 15K.4), the latter are more impressive than the former.  Yet, the Raptor still delivers superior performance in a single-user environment.  I would not expect this to be so.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 5:48pm

hi pleo.

most scsi drives are designed for server use. in other words they're designed to optimize performance in of randomly accessed data, which is how a server basically, works .. gathering data here and there, from all parts of a disk, and writing data (uploaded data), but less of that.

a single-user, on the other hand, retrieves data more sequentially.

i'm simplifying, but my point is that disk manufacturers can (& do) write *firmware* to optimize these different patters of disk access, which is why ide/sata drives are able to perform closer to scsi drives in certain benchmarks than the number you mentions (seek/access) would otherwise indicate.

i can say that upgrading from a 7200-rpm ide (not sata) to 10-K rpm scsi was a "wow" thing.

I have used the raptor-based machines of two friends, which *did* seem zippy, but lacked the same level of responsiveness i observed on 15k-rpm scsi based machine.

the coolest thing about scsi (i'm talking about 15k-rpm scsi here) is its *responsiveness*. if you haven't played with a 15k scsi based rig, it's hard to describe, but you actually feeler synchronized with the machine, whereas with ide/sata, you feel a certain clunkiness.

i also feel that benchmarks can't adequately capture this sense of responsiveness i'm talking about.

is it worth it? is scsi worth the extra cost? that's the *real* question. for most, probably not, but it depends on what the user is doing.

i regularly get mail from folks asking if they think scsi would be worth it for them. if i remember, i'll post such a mail at the end of this post, (maybe *after* it, so I don't hit the 9999 character limit).

since my days of scsi, i have moved on from pure performance to *reliability* .. and there's where scsi drives shine. they are made to higher standards (designed for hard 24x7 enterprise use).

i think if somebody has the money, they won't be disappointed with the performance (and reliability) they experience with scsi, but most aren't going to go that way.

the cost of the adapter must be factored in, but remember, you can take the adapter with you to you next rig/motherboard, so the number don't correlate as you might expect.

also, there is one drive that now has its firmware tweaked for desktop (not server) use, and that drive is the one to get. i forget off the top of my head ... fugitsu mag, maybe?

i used to have lots of money to play with, and scsi was fun. now that i have lawyer's bills, i don't buy scsi anymore. but many people have buckets of money (like i used to).

scsi drives spin faster (lower rotational "latency") and they have big-ass actuators .. to move the read/write heads around faster.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 5:50pm

here's that email from a guy considering scsi, and what he plans to do with it:

I've done my best to research quite a bit about SCSI and I think it is a viable option.  My current setups is using SATA drives, most of them are 10k WD Raptors, some in RAID-0.

Audio editing and recording is a walk in the park in terms of hard drives these days, you can use almost anything on the market and you won't have any problems.  You'd get away with a single 7200rpm IDE drive.

The problem happens when you do music composition and sampling, that's when hardware requirements soar off the map.  I do large projects involving simulating orchestras, and the software products available on the market are amazing for doing that.  But the audio data libraries involved span dozens of gigabytes in size.  A typical orchestra has anywhere between 40 and 100 players, and to emulate that, the software draws on raw audio recordings of real instruments playing single musical notes.  In a piece of music, these "players" can be playing many notes very quickly, one after another.  You can potentially have hundreds of files being accessed at precisely the same time.

Because the libraries are gigabytes in size, they cannot be completely loaded into RAM, so they reside on the hard disk.  The software is engineered to pre-load into RAM the first few kilobytes of every single audio file as a buffer so that they can be triggered immediately in real-time with nearly 0 latency.  As soon as a note is triggered, the software calls on the hard drive and streams the rest of the audio data as necessary.

I've run into bottlenecks where disk access is too slow, and it cannot stream data from the hard disks fast enough when too many notes start playing at the same time.  The result is pops and clicks in the audio output.  I have tried increasing the size of the pre-loaded buffer so that it has more time to get data from the hard disks, but I end up running out of RAM.  So my endeavor now is to get hard drives with faster instantaneous access times, SCSI being the natural solution.

To compound this, I have several machines that are networked to share this job which operate simultaneously because one machine could never handle it all.  Each machine has similar specs - dual core CPU, 3GB RAM, and 2 or more 10k SATA drives.

So the hard drive operations are 100% random reads, no writes at all.  Do you think it's safe to say that 15k SCSI u320 will offer a considerable improvement from the 10k SATAs given all this rubbish i've just explained?

Cheers

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 5:55pm

just to recap (cuz i said a lot), i think the key points are that:

1. the low seek/ access times of (15k-rpm) scsi drives scsi drives provide a level of *responsiveness* that you can't get with 10k-rpm sata drives .. no matter *what* (artificial) benchmarks say. you feel one-with-the-machine.

2. scsi drives, which are designed for 24x7 enterprise, are built to higher standards than their sata counterparts, and are therefore more reliable.

3. the average joe computer-user isn't going to find the cost diff "worth it" for scsi. if you read my scsi guide, you know the main point i make is "scsi is not for everyone". with 10k-rpm sata, i'd now say that "scsi isn't for most people".

4. the firmware of scsi drives (all but one) is programmed differently than that for a sata drive.

5. the more a user does with his system and the more intensive things he does with it, i feel, the more he will appreciate "the feel" of a system based on a 15k-rpm scsi drive.

in the old days, when the scsi/ide wars were raging, i'd find it funny that someone who had never used a scs-based system would tell someone else, that scsi wasn't worth it FOR THEM.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2007 at 5:53pm

Rad, thank you for the reply.  Your comments about optimizing the firmware for single- versus multi-user environments makes sense.

Concerning reliability, it is interesting to note that Seagate offers a 5 year warranty on the Cheetah (15K RPM SCSI) hard drive family – the same warranty as Western Digital on the Raptor.  Of course, the Raptor is a high-end SATA unit, and other more commonplace SATA drives may indeed be less reliable than SCSI units.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2007 at 8:09pm

Rad, I believe I may be able to reconcile, on the one hand, your observation that the WD Raptor doesn't have quite the same responsiveness as SCSI drives (Reply #4); and, on the other hand, the published benchmarks showing that the Raptor exhibits faster real-world performance (Reply #0).

As compared to the first-generation, the second-generation Raptor drives are 14% faster; and, the third-generation units are 17% faster than the second.  Thus, if you were experiencing a first-generation model of the Raptor, you might have concluded that they are not as fast as SCSI, while at the same time that the real-world benchmarks of a third-generation Raptor presently show it to be faster (in a single-user environment) than SCSI.

Could this explain the discrepancy?

Returning to the reliability issue, it is worthwhile to note that the WD Raptor has a 1.2 million hour MTBF specification, while the Seagate Cheetah 15K.4 SCSI, for example, is rated at 1.4 million hours – i.e., they are essentially the same.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 9:19am

A clarification on the prior post:

Quote:
Because of the clear window, the Raptor X has an MTBF rating of 600,000 hours (68.5 years), whereas the normal Raptor has an MTBF double of that (1.2 million hours or 137 years).  However, this shouldn't be too great a concern as both drives are covered by a five-year warranty.
Source:  WD Raptor

Rad, this article provides a succinct history of the Raptor.  If your experience with the Raptor not being as “responsive” as SCSI occurred prior to January, 2006, then it is certainly based upon a first- or second-generation version of the drive rather than today’s current third-generation model.  The benchmarks showing the single-user superiority of the Raptor to many SCSI drives are, of course, based upon a comparison to the third-generation model.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 10:25am

having the same waranty period doesn't mean the drives are equally reliable.

i'd wager they have to make good on those raptor warantys far more than on those for their cheetahs.

replacing a drive, even if under waranty, still suks.

there was a study published recently (a few months ago?) by google, who owns a zillion hard drives, and they basically said drives start dying agter only 2 years of operation .. i think the number was somewhere around 7-12% (from memory) .. each year after the 2nd.

surprised you didn't see that. interesting data.

but the big message was that the mtbf figures published by drive manufacturers are essentially bunk. wishful thinking. not real world, where we inadvertantly bang and kick our pc's, crach into the desk holding our pc's.. etc. i'm sure their test drives operate in vastly different environments (climate controlled, etc.).

have to be careful about using the word "faster" when it comes to hard drive benchmarks, which are artificial routines, designed by some benchmark creator .. which may or may not represent how you & I use our hard drives.

for example, when you use the % increase figures for raptors, does that mean they decreased their respective seek/access times for each generation, or simply boosted str's (sustained transfer rates), which is typically a product of data density.???

these numbers given are often subjective, and can be analyzed in numerous ways.

what are the respective seek/access times for each raptor generation?

the wiki on raptors does not give any seek/access specs, which is the key spec that translates into responsiveness.

none of the raptors-based systems i tried contained the clear-window drive, so i'm sure it wasn't the most recent version (which is cool).

in my most recent system design (last year), i selected a raptor for my boot/system drive:

http://radified.com/computer/computer_2006.htm

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 10:49am

found the google study. see here:

http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf

looks like ~8% each year after year 2.

365 days/year x 24 hours/day= 8760 hours/year. (of *real* world use)

two years = 17,520 hours, which is no where close to manufactures specs of numbers such as "1.2 million hours". it's less than 1.5% of the stated (wishful) number.

if we use 8% per year, we get to 48% at year 6 (roughly speaking), which would be a "mean" (i.e.. 50%).

6 x 8760 = 52,560 hours .. still no where near 1.2 million. see my point? (mtbf specs published by drive manufacturers do not represent real world drive failure statistics .. not even close).

52,560 hours is ~ 4% of 1.2 million.

more: http://www.google.com/search?q=google+hard+drive+failure

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 12:34pm

Rad, the subject of hard disk reliability is a very complex subject.  (I did see and read the Google research.)

Yes, a warranty period isn’t a perfect indicator of the reliability of the drive, but it should at least be positively and directionally correlated with reliability.

I do agree that MTBF isn’t a perfect measure of reliability.  (A good article on the subject is Mean time between failures.)  Do note that a MTBF of 137 years does not imply that on average a drive will run continuously and properly for over a century (a common misinterpretation of the statistic)!  However, as a metric to compare one hard disk drive (or manufacturer) against another, what is the alternative?

I see your objective in Reply #8, but the math isn’t quite right.  The problem is that the longevity estimate itself varies as a function of time.  For example, you can compute the average lifespan of a population of humans, but it is not the same as computing the projected lifespan of a person given that s/he is now 65 years old.  There is a Bayesian component to the problem.

There are literally an infinite number of ways to measure hard disk drive performance.  Thus, any benchmark study is a sample from that universe and as such is subject to sampling error.  However, again, it worth asking:  what is the alternative?  The benchmarks used by StorageReview appear to have a solid, real-world orientation.  For example, the SR Office DriveMark 2006 benchmark is based on the usage of a mix of commonplace applications, including Microsoft's Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook), Internet Explorer, Symantec Antivirus and Winzip.  That sure seems quite an appropriate metric.

In the real world, statistics like the warranty period, MTBF, and independent product reviews and benchmarks are quite valuable, from my perspective.  None of these are without limitations, of course; but, using them results in a reduction of uncertainty in the decision making process that would otherwise be absent.

This is a good discussion.  Please continue to add your perspective!   Smiley

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 12:46pm

Quote:
Yes, a warranty period isn’t a perfect indicator of the reliability of the drive, but it should at least be positively and directionally correlated with reliability.

should, yes. but again, i feel warranty can be used more as a marketing tool, than a predictor of reliability.

Quote:
However, as a metric to compare one hard disk drive (or manufacturer) against another, what is the alternative?

We have two options. We can take the word of the drive manufacturers (not optimal in my opinion), or look to real-world metrics, as documented by Google.

Quote:
I see your objective in Reply #8, but the math isn’t quite right.

I was using (admittedly) gross numbers, to illustrate how mtbf stats documented by drive manufacturers are grossly out of touch with reality (which i feel successfully made my point). we could get more accurate numbers, but you're still gonna get nowhere near 1.2 million hours mtbf using google's real-world data. (ps i got an 'A' in Statistics class.)

Quote:
There are literally an infinite number of ways to measure hard disk drive performance

agreed, but no matter how you slice & dice the numbers, you're never going to be able to get the mtbf numbers promoted by drive manufacturers with thiose of real-world users. that was my point.

Quote:
The benchmarks used by StorageReview appear to have a solid, real-world orientation.

No doubt it is, but it's still an artificial benchmark. They're not running those actual program. They're running a benchmarking programs.

There was a flap years back where Intel I believe was tuning the code in their chips to score higher on benchmarks.

This can be done with drives also.

This part of the discussion is moot for me, cuz I've long since moved beyond performance .. to reliablity.. as the most important factor of a hard drive. Tho I do miss with my laptop the responsiveness I had with scsi-based desktop.

My point is that benchmarks are good indicators of perf, tho not chapter and verse as some seem to think. Cuz benchmarks make assumptions about the configurations of the data on your hard drive which may or may not be accurate.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #14 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 1:58pm

Hey, Rad – good to hear your comments.

The problem with the Google research is that it doesn’t offer reliability numbers by drive manufacture or model – right?  Thus, it is useful at an overall level, but wouldn’t help in evaluating the reliability of one drive versus another.

I absolutely agree that the MTBF numbers are not equivalent to - nor were they ever intended to be - representative of the useful lifetime of a drive.  Many individuals misinterpret the statistic in that way.  Like the duration of the warranty, however, they are suggestive of (but do not conclusively demonstrate) the reliability of the drive.

I don’t know exactly how the SR Office DriveMark 2006 benchmark works, but my reading of the description is that the benchmark is a script that invokes the set of applications to perform predetermined tasks, and the total duration is timed.  Thus, I do believe that the actual applications (e.g., Excel, WinZip, etc.) are in fact launched and run.  It is possible – but highly unlikely – that Western Digital or Seagate cares so much about StorageReview that they would tailor their hardware to artificially inflate their benchmark scores.

A benchmark will not match the actual usage pattern of any individual user, of course.  That, however, is not the intent.  The goal is to provide a standardized metric that reasonably mirrors a real-world usage scenario, so as to permit comparisons among drives.  It is the ability to compare drives that is facilitated by benchmarks, not the ability to predict the performance that a specific user will experience (which is highly dependent on her or his unique usage of the equipment).

I don’t think that reliability and performance are at opposite ends of the same continuum.  You could have low/high reliability crossed with low/high performance in a 2 x 2 matrix, and probably find hard disk drives representative of each quadrant.

P.S.:      Glad to hear you earned an “A” in statistics!  Smiley That is an essential prerequisite to being a well-educated individual, in my opinion.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print