Send Topic Print
SATA Versus SCSI (Read 35761 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: SATA Versus SCSI
Reply #15 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 8:08pm

yeah, the instructor (stats) suk'ed, too. had to get everything out of the book. got the highest grade in the class (he said).

you're right about lack of drive manufacturer details on the google study. i've always felt seagate makes the most reliable drives on the market .. based on a number of drives i've owned and used.

i had one of those old ibm deathstars, and it never did die on me .. just kept running & running.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #16 - Apr 10th, 2007 at 12:21pm

It is worthwhile to cross-reference the comments of Nbree:

Quote:
Still, my gut feeling is that SAS and SATA are pretty close to parity right now; SAS has been planned with a lot more headroom, but right now today both interfaces deliver plenty of bandwidth relative to the sustained drive throughputs - the change to PCIe has also leveled things out a bit (compared to recent years with the server-only halfway-house of PCI-X for add-on host controllers).
Source:  http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1174318805

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #17 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 12:25pm

Another source of hard disk drive benchmark data is Tom’s Hardware Guide.

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 2:34pm

Quote:
i had one of those old IBM Deathstars, and it never did die on me .. just kept running & running.

That was my experience too, and I installed dozens of them.  Then one day while I was typing, like I am now, the drive squalled, balled and screeched to a halt.  When I reached in to remove it, I burned my hand.  It was hot enough to cook my lunch.  That was the last Deathstar drive I ever used.

I now use only Maxtor drives, for their economy and reliability.  (Likewise Seagate drives)
However, I won't even think of installing any HD in my own PC's without a two-fan cooler properly affixed.  Remember....in electronics, "HEAT KILLS".
This photo has been corrected for size.  thank you guys!

Without the 1/4" standoffs, the two fans have nowhere to exhaust their hot air and an Air-Dam results, in which cooling efficiency is seriously inhibited.  With the fans running on the standoffs, proper air flow is assured and the drives always remain at room temperature.  The shock factor of a drive heating up and cooling down just never happens.

People around the world who have tried this technique tell me that they have never had HD's that ran so cool.  The little VIO coolers, only cost me about $4 ea. through a mail-order supplier.  So they are the cheapest Life Insurance I could ever purchase for my drives. Wink

Cheers Mates!
The Doctor  Cool

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 4:38pm

Another nice fan is the Antec "Spot Cooler" which I found to be very quiet, 3 speed adjustable and about $20.

http://www.antec.com/uk/productDetails.php?ProdID=75018

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #20 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 8:51pm

DrWho2006 -

Howzabout "photoshopping" the image above down to
no wider than 768 pixels MAX.

Your post above requires MAJOR "side-to-side" scrolling
which obscures the really worthwhile message content.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #21 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 12:20am

That's interesting > each post has its own set of scroll bars, both up/down and side-to-side. Never saw that before.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #22 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 12:26am

here's the cool drive after a little photoshop mojo (45-KB, instead of 150) .. will save bandwidth for those of you still on dial-up.

better?

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Re: HD Cooler
Reply #23 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:34am

The picture of the cooler is good. It explains how the 1/4'' posts provide space for the air to circulate and keep the HD cool. I have ordered the cooling fans and waiting to their arrival. Hopefully it would end the HD failures I have had in the past - anywhere between 1-2 years mean time between failures!!!

/me  Smiley

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #24 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 11:14am

Rad,
Thank you so very much for the shrink job.  I can't do that here, and have never needed to in the past, as most forum software will "shrink to fit" on any photo posted.
Thanks again.

I received a PM wanting to know what model that cooler is.  I found this number on the box.
HC-350

Let me see if this photo displays any better.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g90/DrWho1943/HardDriveCooler.gif

I hope that helps someone. 

I ordered that little cooler from here:
http://store.cwc-group.com/hadrcowidufa1.html

The standoffs are the little brass spacers used to mount motherboards.  You'll need spacers with course threads on the male end to match the threads in the holes on the bottom of the HD frame.

Yous guys are the greatest! Thanks again for the help.

Doc  Cool

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #25 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:41pm

DrWho2006 wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 11:14am:
"... I ordered that little cooler from here:

The standoffs are the little brass spacers used to mount motherboards.  You'll need spacers with course threads on the male end to match the threads in the holes on the bottom of the HD frame..."

The link above takes you to SKU: 21515 which is the fan assembly alone.  The link below leads to SKU: 20831 which seems to be the same fan assembly but is packaged as a kit with a set of standoff mounting screws which makes it well worth the difference in price to my way of thinking.  In my case, the difference in unit price was only seventy cents because I ordered more than ten kits as shown in the invoice below Shocked

As I have stated in the past, I have three married daughters with seven grandchildren scattered across three
states along the Gulf Coast plus neighbors and former coworkers all of whom either received their respective PCs in "trickle-down" fashion from me or otherwise rely on me to provide Symantec software and hardware maintenance.
Those twenty-four HDD coolers will not last much past next Xmas Roll Eyes

http://store.cwc-group.com/vioxphadrcow.html

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #26 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 11:07pm

El_Pescador wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:41pm:
DrWho2006 wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 11:14am:
"... I ordered that little cooler from here:

The standoffs are the little brass spacers used to mount motherboards.  You'll need spacers with course threads on the male end to match the threads in the holes on the bottom of the HD frame..."

Quote:
The link above takes you to SKU: 21515 which is the fan assembly alone.  The link below leads to SKU: 20831 which seems to be the same fan assembly but is packaged as a kit with a set of standoff mounting screws which makes it well worth the difference in price to my way of thinking.  In my case, the difference in unit price was only seventy cents because I ordered more than ten kits as shown in the invoice below Shocked

It looks like all of them may have the spacers. I too have ordered 8 of them for testing on my systems and did not go for the ball bearing fans. Will provide feedback next week when they should reach me.

Have had HD failures ranging from 1 to 3 years and was frustrating as they failed at the most inconvenient time. Hope the fans fix the problem once and for all.

Rama  Grin

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #27 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 11:45am

Using data from the Tom's Hardware Guide website (see Reply #17), I constructed a performance comparison of these two drives:
    Western Digital Raptor (WD1500AD)
    Interface:  SATA/150
    Capacity:  150GB
    Cache:  16MB
    RPM:  10,000

Seagate Cheetah 15K.5 (ST3300655SS)
    Interface:  SAS
    Capacity:  300GB
    RPM:  15,000
Across a range of benchmarks, the Cheetah outperforms the Raptor by:
    Random Access Time:  18%
    Average Read Transfer Performance:  46%
    Average Write Transfer Performance:  69%
    Windows XP Startup Performance:  42%
    File Writing Performance:  35%
    Workstation I/O Benchmark Pattern:  84%
I must admit:  Rad’s positive comments about the Cheetah certainly appear to be quite well justified.

While the Cheetah is shown underperforming the Raptor on the benchmarks reported on the StorageReview website, this contradictory finding may be due to the fact that StorageReview is basing their numbers on the Ultra 320 (and not the SAS) version of the Cheetah.

Edit:  Information for WD1500AD was corrected (19 APR 2007).

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #28 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:20pm

Pleonasm wrote on Apr 19th, 2007 at 11:45am:
"... Using data from the Tom's Hardware Guide website (see Reply #17), I constructed a performance comparison of these two drives:
    Western Digital Raptor (WD1500ADFD)
    Interface:  SATA/150
    Capacity:  74GB
    RPM:  10,000..."

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #29 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 3:45pm

El_Pescador, thanks for catching the mistake concerning the WD Raptor capacity.  Reply #27 has been updated accordingly.

Have you now purchased and tested the Raptor?  What is your perspective?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print