Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Hard Disk Cooling Fan (Read 48150 times)
Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Re: Hard Disk Cooling Fan
Reply #15 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 12:07am

I have installed 6 fans in 3 machines and can see the HDs are cool to touch compared to they being hot before. Hopefully my HD failures should come down. Time will tell. When I installed in the third machine, it was very quick and am becoming a expert!

Two issues some may face are (1) bending a tab or jiggling the drive into the HD bay (already addressed by Dr.Who) and (2) buying the brass 1/4" standoffs. The local computer store had a Ultra (www.ultraproducts.com) Multi-purpose Screw Kit - Part # ULT31338 (also No. 9846909683) with barcode 2276931338. The package which cost $2.99 retail contains the following:

1. Metal Speed Thumb Screws (10).
2. Computer Assembly Screws Hex/Phillips 6-32/5mm (24)
3. Computer Assembly Screws Hex/Phillips M3/5mm (24)
4. Brass Motherboard Standoffs 8.5mm (15)
5. Brass Motherboard Standoffs 6.5mm (15)

I think the price reasonable for the use at hand.

I have couple of more computers that need to get fans installed. Plan to talk to the company and find out the difference between various models and order a dozen.

/me  Cool

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #16 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 8:07am

HI Again,
For us who have built many systems over the years, having a good supply of those little brass spacers is not a problem.  An ample supply comes with every new case,,,,, enough to mount even the largest 'full sized' mother boards.
What is a problem is that many case manufacturers use the spacers with fine threads, which will NOT screw into the holes on the bottom of the drive.  And yet some makers use little shiney metal clips and not the brass spacers at all.  Cry

So I'm quickly running out of the 1/4" brass spacers that have the course threads on the male end.

I don't see that as a problem though,,,, but just another inevitable fork in the road.
Sometimes we have to look beyond the obvious and whats right in front of us.

The whole idea is to get some space between the fan and the drive to avoid the "Air Dam" effect that occurs when the fan is too close.  Anything about 1/4" thick will do nicely.
Rubber spacers, or thin strips of balsa wood, or stacks of little washers and longer screws? Wink

The day I finally run out of the 1/4" brass standoffs is just another day to "Get Creative". 

You'd be surprised what I do around here with a stack of beer coasters from my favorite watering hole.  Wink  Cut into narrow strips and glued together, I'm sure they'd make fine spacers. Huh

Get creative, be happy and stay COOL!

Yous guys are the greatest!

The Doctor  Cool

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Re: Hard Disk Cooling Fan - Spacers
Reply #17 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 8:17am

First I thought of being creative about spacers, growing up in an environment where we made our own toys when we were children, then wanted to give a try at the local electronics store and lucked out finding the brass standouts at a reasonable price. I am sure one can get them at any shop which assembles and repairs computers. Would like to know from others what creative approches taken as a substitute to brass ones.

/me  Wink

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #18 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 9:03am

Rama,
Let me start by saying I LOVE your little saying under your name.
I used to have in my own Signature line, "The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make".

I was allowed to paw through the junk hardware box at "Cheap Guys Computers" one day, but only came up with five spacers of the right length and screw thread.
The male end of the spacer absolutely must have course threads in order to properly screw into the holes on the bottom of the hard drive.  The female side doesn't matter as long as you have compatible screws. 

Why the coolers are coming with 4 fine threaded screws is beyond me, if they intended for the coolers to be screwed directly onto the drives.  The threads just don't match. Angry  Someone else had pointed that out in this forum.  Another one of life's little mysteries. Roll Eyes

I see on different web sites like the one previously posted, that there are many different types of two-fan HD coolers.  Prices range from $9.95 all the way up to $19.95 for essentially the same thing.
I was elated to find the VIO coolers discounted down to less than $4 ea.
It's kind of like getting a "Big Mack" for $.25. (twenty five cents) Wink Grin Grin Grin

They all DO require some annual or semi-annual maintenance, like cleaning and oiling, but hey......
isn't that better than loosing hard drives and all the hassle that goes with that?

I've found that just one drop of fine machine oil, injected through the seal on the back of the fan motor once or twice a year is all that's required to keep those little guys running smoothly for years to come.  When I say "Injected", I mean with a hypodermic needle. 
I tried an insulin syringe, but the needle is too fine for the oil to freely flow through it.  You need something larger.  I use a syringe that came with an Ink Refill kit.  Works perfect!

Thus endeth "Fan Maintenance 101".  Wink Grin Grin Grin

The Doctor  Cool

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Re: Hard Disk Cooling Fan - Where to buy
Reply #19 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 9:09pm

Last week I ordered the fans from CWC-Group. I wanted to order a dozen more today and was not happy with their high shipping charges relative to the weight of the shipment.

Looking around, I found www.outletpc.com have decent pricing and reasonable shipping charge, and ordered the fans even though they did not have the variety as CWC. I even added a few more items to the shipment for a very marginal increase in shipping cost. This seller is worth looking if you are buying fans and other computer items.

Rama  Grin

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Reply #20 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 9:39pm

The temp after installation of fans on IDE drives runs at 92 degrees F and before it was hovering around 105 - 110 degrees F. Most noticeable was the how cool they are to touch whereas they were very hot before. I used a digital temp gauge to check the temp. Hope this helps.

/me  Cool

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #21 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 10:04pm

It appears that the OutletPC has some good prices on certain items.
Some items I can get much cheaper right here locally.
The price on the little coolers is good and if you can save a few bucks on shipping.....GO FOR IT.

Get the best deal you can, I allus say.

The Doctor  Cool

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #22 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 10:30am

The reader of this thread may also find the following articles of interest:
In addition, note that there exist hard disk cooling fans that require a minimal amount of vertical space when mounted:
Could fans such as these avoid the problem of using two drive bays to accommodate taller models such as the VIO Xper 3.5-Inch Hard Drive Cooler (0.75” or 1” with stand-offs)?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #23 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 9:16am

To place the entire issue of hard disk drive cooling in context, consider the insights that Google Labs produced in its recent study:

Quote:
Contrary to previously reported results, we found very little correlation between failure rates and either elevated temperature or activity levels.

…failures do not increase when the average temperature increases.  In fact, there is a clear trend showing that lower temperatures are associated with higher failure rates. Only at very high temperatures is there a slight reversal of this trend….
Source:  Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive Population

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #24 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 11:54am

In 43 years as a field tech, I've learned to never rely on 'lab results'.
Labs are sterile, over controlled atmospheres where anything can be made to happen.

I worked with some of the best electronics engineers in the country at the "Caterpillar Research Labs" and I had to rework almost every circuit they came up with.  What works on paper, or values set using a slide rule, just don't work in practical application, like on a bulldozer working in a steaming hot swamp or above the arctic circle. 

So please don't tell me I'm wrong, based on some lame lab results.  OK?

I've worked on literally thousands of pieces of computerized equipment in so many different environments, you wouldn't even believe it.
One Rule I've found from 43 years of field service, is that:
HEAT KILLS

2.   and lack of proper maintenance can take you right back to rule #1.

Stay
COOL
, Stay SAFE! 

The Doctor  Cool

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Reply #25 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 1:07pm

DrWho2006 wrote on Apr 28th, 2007 at 11:54am:
In 43 years as a field tech, I've learned to never rely on 'lab results'.
Labs are sterile, over controlled atmospheres where anything can be made to happen.

I worked with some of the best electronics engineers in the country at the "Caterpillar Research Labs" and I had to rework almost every circuit they came up with.  What works on paper, or values set using a slide rule, just don't work in practical application, like on a bulldozer working in a steaming hot swamp or above the arctic circle.  

So please don't tell me I'm wrong, based on some lame lab results.  OK?

I've worked on literally thousands of pieces of computerized equipment in so many different environments, you wouldn't even believe it.
One Rule I've found from 43 years of field service, is that:
HEAT KILLS

2.   and lack of proper maintenance can take you right back to rule #1.

Stay
COOL
, Stay SAFE!  

The Doctor  Cool

1. I agree with your observation. Everyone knows high temperature is not good for printed circuits. If they are, then we will not see any cooling fans in computers. Most today's computers will shut down if the temp goes high.
2. From a commonsense point of view a lower/room temperature cannot harm printed circuits. Bottom of HDs have a printed circuit which controls all HD activities.
3. Re lower temperatures, the only comment I have heard is that in very low temperatures, HDs may have difficulty in starting to spin. Many of the current HDs use a fluid suspension instead of ball bearings. At very low temperatures, the fluid may freeze and and drive may not spin.
4. May be others with personal experience want  to add their experience.

Rama  Cool

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #26 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 2:24pm

What most folks who have not worked in the Electronics Industry, don't know, is that home computers are made of what we might call, "Hobby Grade" components.
They are made up of the lowest quality components from the lowest bidder.
Witness, the bulging capacitors on many motherboards.

They will only operate at temperatures comfortable to the operator.
If you're not comfortable at 120°F., then your PC won't be happy either.
Adversely, if you're not comfortable at 32°F, your computer won't be either.
For any home computer to 'live long and prosper' it should be kept at the same
temperature as an operator sitting there in a short sleeved shirt. Huh

The last HD that failed on me was several years ago, before I started using two-fan coolers on every drive.  When I reached in to remove it, it was like removing a fresh baked potato from a hot oven.
Ouch!!!!!

To say that it was "Too Hot To Handle", is a gross understatement.

I was setting up a new HD on my bench a while back.  It was sitting upside down, with the motor hub and logic board facing up.  After partitioning and formatting the drive, it was "Too Hot To Handle".
I stuck on one of my Two-Fan coolers and within just a few minutes the drive was back down to room temperature. 

The shock factor, of a circuit board getting that hot and then cooling off when the drive is shut down can (in time) rip the circuits apart.  Keeping it always at room temperature eliminates all that expanding and contracting from damaging the drive.

Cheers!
The Doctor  Cool

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 3:10pm

Pleonasm wrote on Apr 28th, 2007 at 9:16am:
To place the entire issue of hard disk drive cooling in context, consider the insights that Google Labs produced in its recent study:

DrWho2006,

You wouldn't get away with that "personal experience" argument in Medicine these days. Evidence based treatment is demanded. Why should electronics be any different?

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #28 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 9:16am

DrWho2006, although the results referenced in Reply #23 were produced by Google Labs, they are not "lab results":  rather, they are based upon actual usage of "more than one hundred thousand disk drives" that were "deployed in several types of systems across all of Google’s services."   The disks examined are "a combination of serial and parallel ATA consumer-grade hard disk drives, ranging in speed from 5400 to 7200 rpm, and in size from 80 to 400 GB."  If that does not qualify as "real world," then nothing does.

To interject some moderation to the discussion, I do not believe that anyone would disagree that temperatures outside of the design specifications stipulated by the hard disk manufacturer are harmful.  However, the axiom "if it isn't broken, then don't fit it" also applies here.  It would wise for a PC user to first monitor their hard disk drive temperatures, and if they routinely fall within the manufacturer's specifications, then adding a disk fan is not necessary – nor would any benefit arise from doing so.

P.S.:  DrWho2006, I would appreciate your viewpoint on the "low profile" (minimal height) fans described in Reply #22.

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Reply #29 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 8:18pm

DrWho2006 wrote on Apr 28th, 2007 at 2:24pm:
What most folks who have not worked in the Electronics Industry, don't know, is that home computers are made of what we might call, "Hobby Grade" components.
They are made up of the lowest quality components from the lowest bidder.
Witness, the bulging capacitors on many motherboards.

They will only operate at temperatures comfortable to the operator.
If you're not comfortable at 120°F., then your PC won't be happy either.
Adversely, if you're not comfortable at 32°F, your computer won't be either.
For any home computer to 'live long and prosper' it should be kept at the same
temperature as an operator sitting there in a short sleeved shirt. Huh

The last HD that failed on me was several years ago, before I started using two-fan coolers on every drive.  When I reached in to remove it, it was like removing a fresh baked potato from a hot oven.
Ouch!!!!!

To say that it was "Too Hot To Handle", is a gross understatement.

I was setting up a new HD on my bench a while back.  It was sitting upside down, with the motor hub and logic board facing up.  After partitioning and formatting the drive, it was "Too Hot To Handle".
I stuck on one of my Two-Fan coolers and within just a few minutes the drive was back down to room temperature. 

The shock factor, of a circuit board getting that hot and then cooling off when the drive is shut down can (in time) rip the circuits apart.  Keeping it always at room temperature eliminates all that expanding and contracting from damaging the drive.

Cheers!
The Doctor  Cool

In the last ten years, none of my consumer grade drives lasted more than 3 yrs even with minimal usage and more often they failed in little over a year. Since the cost of fans is so minimal, it was worth a try for me. Let me revisit the issue in about a year to see how my drives are doing. If by that time I have not had any HD failures, it would be a reasonable proof for me. If others are quite happy with their systems now, then they can decide what they want to do if they run into premature HD failures.

/me  Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print