Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Hard Disk Cooling Fan (Read 48144 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Hard Disk Cooling Fan
Apr 21st, 2007 at 12:23pm

There is some discussion of hard disk cooling fans in the thread SATA Versus SCSI (Reply #18-#26).  To highlight the subject, however, I am starting a new thread.

Below is information on hard disk fans that may be of interest:
  • There are several models of the bottom-mount cooling units available, distinguished by the number of fans present (one or two), the CFM air flow, and the noise level.  A selection of options may be found at Micro Center and Performance PCs, for example.
  • See this article for a good overview of disk fan installation.
  • If you have an available 5.25" bay, there are disk cooling units that combine a heat sink with an intake fan – e.g., StarTech HDDPRO Hard Disk Cooler.
For those who are installing a disk fan, here is a request:  could you kindly monitor and measure the temperature of the disk before and after the installation of the fan, and report back the improvement observed?  For software tools to retrieve and display the hard disk temperature, please see Monitor Hard Disk Temperature.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Re: Hard Disk Cooling Fan
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 11:28am

I'm probably one of the greatest proponents of hard drive cooling.  I've tried the ones with two tiny fans that sit in a 5.25" gizmo of one kind or another.  Both with the fans in the front and the fans in the rear.  And, some with air filters that plug up with dirt and never seem to get cleaned out. Huh
All those things that I wasted my money on are history.

I even spent $49 for a cooler that seriously wet the bed.  I think it was called a "Hermanator".  
Go Figure!

As for hard drive temperature measurements, I use a digital temperature sensor.  
The first digit of my left hand.  Grin Grin Grin
If I lay my finger on the drive and it makes me say "Ouch!!!!!!", it's too hot.

Just for grinns, I just tested (digitally)  the temp of my two SATA HD's that have been on now for about six hours.
There is NO detectable temperature there at all.  Both are essentially at room-temp.

Here's my backup drive, with 5.25" bay spacers and VIO 'two-fan' cooler, mounted in an upper drive bay.  

If this pic is too large for this forum, maybe some kind soul (moderator) will shrink it for me. Roll Eyes

At just $4 or less for the VIO two-fan coolers, keeping hard drives cool should be well within the price range of almost anyone.  I order them six at a time, to keep shipping costs down.

Cheers,
The Doctor  Cool

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 2:17pm

DrWho2006, a few questions:
  • The fan referenced in Reply #1 is blowing air up (toward the bottom surface the hard disk drive) – correct?
  • Does the extra height added by the fan require that you use two 5.25" bays to hold one hard disk drive?
  • Is the speed of the fan adjustable (low/medium/high)?  If so, it is done through software or through a switch on the fan?
  • What is your qualitative description of the noise added by the running fan?
Thank you.

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 2:22pm

DrWho2006 wrote on Apr 22nd, 2007 at 11:28am:
I'm probably one of the greatest proponents of hard drive cooling.....

As for hard drive temperature measurements, I use a digital temperature sensor. 
The first digit of my left hand.  Grin Grin Grin ....
If I lay my finger on the drive and it makes me say "Ouch!!!!!!", it's too hot.

Just for grinns, I just tested (digitally)  the temp of my two SATA HD's that have been on now for about six hours.

Both are essentially at room-temp.

At just $4 or less for the VIO two-fan coolers, keeping hard drives cool should be well within the price range of almost anyone.  I order them six at a time, to keep shipping costs down.

I got the fans from CWC group, installed them. I could touch the top of the drives and the temp of the drives feels about the same as room temp. In the past, before the fans, they used to be real hot. Now I am a believer in the fans which cost less than $4 plus shipping.

Here are my other comments on the fan package.

1. The screws that came with the package were of wrong size and did not fit the bottom of HDs.
2. There were no offsets in the package. Fortunately I had some of them in my tool kit.
3. The power connector is long enough and nice.
4. The model I got was Xper Hard drive cooler model HC-350.
5. CWC was very responsive. Shipping prompt. When they did not hava a particular color in stock, they called me immediately and everything was taken care of. I also inquired about the ball bearing vs non ball bearing versions. Was told they have been shipping these coolers since 1990 and have had no problems. Would order again with the company.

Overall, I think you have the best bargain for the money. Have had HD failures in 1-3 years and am now convinced they are due to heat.

Note: To cut down shipping costs, order them at least a doz by pooling with your friends if necessary. The local store is selling similar fans for $10.00.

/me  Smiley

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 2:32pm

It occurs to me that when dissipating heat from a hard disk drive, the heat doesn't just disappear – it goes into the main chassis housing the other PC components.  Therefore, wouldn't it be wise to also increase the RPM of the rear exhaust fan when using a hard disk drive cooling fan?

P.S.:  Rama, perhaps you too could look at the questions in Reply #2?

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 2:51pm

Pleonasm wrote on Apr 22nd, 2007 at 2:17pm:
DrWho2006, a few questions:
  • The fan referenced in Reply #1 is blowing air up (toward the bottom surface the hard disk drive) – correct?

Yes.

Quote:
Does the extra height added by the fan require that you use two 5.25" bays to hold one hard disk drive?

I have installed them in 3-1/2" bays. It took some extra space; almost one bay. Since I had extra bays there was no space problem.

Quote:
Is the speed of the fan adjustable (low/medium/high)?  If so, it is done through software or through a switch on the fan?

No switch on the fan to adjust the speed.

Quote:
What is your qualitative description of the noise added by the running fan?Thank you.

No noticeable increase in noise. Could not even tell there were two additional fans without looking at them.

/me  Cool

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 3:53pm

Rama, if you do not have an extra and empty 3.5" bay, will the fan work in a single 3.5" bay – or, is the increase in the vertical height too much to fit into a single 3.5" bay slot?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Reply #7 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 5:03pm

Pleonasm wrote on Apr 22nd, 2007 at 3:53pm:
Rama, if you do not have an extra and empty 3.5" bay, will the fan work in a single 3.5" bay – or, is the increase in the vertical height too much to fit into a single 3.5" bay slot?

As the fan is attached to the bottom of the HD, each HD needs at least 3/4" additional space (without the offset) and 1 " space with offset,  hence would not fit in a single bay.  However, even with a single bay, if there is space at the bottom of the bay, then a fan can be added.

We may want to explore if there are any skinny fans which when added to a HD will fit into a single bay. On the other hand, I have always tried to avoid installing drives close to each other since additional space in between drives helps circulation (in all my cases, the space has not been a problem with 2 HDs.)

Hope this helps.

/me  Smiley

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 5:57pm

Rama wrote on Apr 22nd, 2007 at 5:03pm:
As the fan is attached to the bottom of the HD, each HD needs at least 3/4" additional space (without the offset) and 1 " space with offset,  hence would not fit in a single bay.  

The lack of space above/below the HD is the reason I have switched to the Antec Spot Cool fan.  I can mount it with a screw to some empty space in the enclosure, and with the flexible arm I can point it to where I want it.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2007 at 8:22pm

I worked through many different types of coolers and ways of mounting drives till I came up with the method I now use.
The questions about noise, etc. have already been answered.  Cool operation with virtually NO noise.
I just leave the side panels off of my tower, so heat buildup in the case is really NO problem.

And at less than $4, it's sure not going to break the bank.

When you start adding things to a PC that the original designers never counted on, you sometimes have to get creative.  When mounting the drives+coolers in the lower drive bays of a mid tower, you sometimes have to bend out the little tabs that the drives normally sit on.  Again, NO Biggie!
Main HD in a lower drive bay, with tabs bent out.

When there are NO drive bays, like in a little DELL, there are still ways.......( get inventive )
I'm shipping a rebuilt Dell to Illinois this week, that I did major revisions to.
The original drive failed (burned up) because of little or NO drive cooling air reaching the bottom of the drive, where all the heat is generated.

Here's the HD bracket for the Dell, providing very poor circulation against the bottom of the drive.

So I cut out the grill over the drive:

Then I installed the 1/4" brass standoffs and then mounted the cooler to the drive.

Then returned the whole drive + cooler + drive bracket, back into the case.

Now this new hard drive will stay as cool as a cucumber and should last a long time.

Even laying the drive upside down in the bottom of the case is completely acceptable, in cases where there is just no room anywhere else.  A friend in Arkansas did that and secured the drive with pink duct tape.  I've got the picture someplace.  Wink Grin Grin Grin
Here's my own version:

How to cool a hot running external HD:  (Gimme a smile!)  Wink

I'm sorry this post ran so long, but there's just so much to say and so little time.

Doc  Cool

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 10:14am

Ghost4me, I see why you prefer the Antec SpotCooler fan.  A few questions:
  • Exactly how does this fan attached to the motherboard?  Is the mechanical connection “secure” or is it somewhat “flimsy”?  Is it easy to physically remove the fan if necessary?
  • How long are the wires that connect the fan to the motherboard fan connector?
  • Can the blue LED on the fan be turned off (or disabled)?
Thank you.

DrWho2006, thank you for your excellent posts to this thread.  I am confident that they are (and will be) appreciated by many.  (Keep 'em comin'!)

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 10:45am

An excellent article about the Antec SpotCool fan is:  Antec SpotCool Flexible Fan System Cooler Review.

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #12 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 10:59am

I had never seen one of those little single fan coolers.

Velly Intellestink!

Going back to Rama's questions.
I put the backup drive in the 5.25" bay just for the heck of it
and to relieve congestion in the lower bays.
NOT, because that was the only place I had to put it.

I had the space and I had the 1" side spacers, so why not?
Because of where the mounting holes are in the case for the spacers to bolt onto,
YES it does take up two 5.25" bays, with the fans attached.  Again, no biggie!
With so much air space all the way around the drive, even if I someday decide to put
my side panels back on.....this drive will stay nice and cool.  Wink

Doc  Huh

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #13 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 1:16pm

A few accessories that might be of interest to readers of this thread:

Fan Power Extension Cable
    Fan Power Splitter Cable

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #14 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 2:39pm

Pleonasm wrote on Apr 23rd, 2007 at 10:14am:
A few questions:
  • Exactly how does this fan attached to the motherboard?  Is the mechanical connection “secure” or is it somewhat “flimsy”?  Is it easy to physically remove the fan if necessary?
  • How long are the wires that connect the fan to the motherboard fan connector?
  • Can the blue LED on the fan be turned off (or disabled)?

The review link which you posted is very complete with good pictures.  The fan is attached to any empty hole in the case with a standard slot screw.
The wire is about 6-8 inches.
No, you can't turn the blue LED off, but it's not noticable, unless you have a clear pc box.

I have mine pointing to the two hard drives, which it cools nicely.  I've used hard drive fans (pictured in this thread) but as mentioned they take up room.  The Antec fan is quieter than any other HD fan I've used.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print