Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Optical Media in the Virtual Partition (Read 13022 times)
allanf
Radmeister

Hey Rad! What a cool site!

Optical Media in the Virtual Partition
May 15th, 2007 at 10:45pm

Hi,

Inspired by Rad's Blog "Norton Ghost 2003 supports dual-layer DVD discs (8.5-GB)", and armed with the knowledge that my UJ-845 DVD writer supports DL, I rushed out and bought a three-pack of Verbatim DVD+R DL Disks for around AUD$14 per pack, and a few TDK DVD-RW (4x) Disks for testing.

I don't have my computer set up for the type of mean and lean Image I'm after, but keen to see if this Ghost thing really works. I have a Laptop, no Floppy Drive, two HDDs in a Hardware RAID-0 Array, no Partitions, one CD/DVD Drive, and no stand-alone DVD-Burning Software. I'm still smarting over the fact that Ghost 10 (in Norton SystemWorks Premier 2006) failed to write directly to any type or brand of DVD that I tried. And the fruitless hours wasted on the phone to Symantec Support!

Tips and advice from the top-class contributors to these Forums lead me in the direction of DOS and Ghost 2003 which is packaged away on the NSWP 2006 Installation Disk. I hit a few snags in the Virtual Partion which dropped me to the DOS prompt. But I was surprised and delighted to see that running ghost.exe revealed a single C: Drive (my RAID-0 Array), and not just two HDDs. Yes!!

The problem that I am having is with the Optical Media. I have come across half a dozen or so Error Mesages, and I've lost track at the moment. ATM, my computer is having a rest from relentless rebooting, so I'll test my memory here.

For my first attempt at writing an Image, I used straight-out-of-the-packet TDK DVD-RWs. When the computer reboots to the Virtual Partition, I see and hear activity on the DVD Writer. But then the screen goes to a counting-down DOS screen with options to Reboot or Retry. From memory, the Error Heading is "CD/DVD error - try a different media brand or type". Selecting the Retry option starts Ghost with the warning "The DVD Disk is not Blank. Overwrite it?" Selecting "No" gives a message to erase the disk - "No", "Quick" or "Full". Selecting "Yes" to the previous Overwrite question gives "Unable to Erase this disc." Everyway I go leads to either a plain DOS prompt with instructions to use ghreboot.exe, or the DOS countdown screen with the options to reboot or retry.

I had a few unused TDK CD-RWs lying around so I thought I'd give them a go. And it worked. My first Ghost Image! Not quite. Eighty CDs and six hours seemed a bit much! LOL... At least things seemed to be working.

Next I tried a straight-out-of-the-packet Verbatim DVD-R (8x). No go! This is testing my memory... The error message was something like "The DVD is not blank. Insert a disk that has not been previously written." And exactly the same thing with the brand-new DVD+R DL Disks.

I was thinking that CDs were my only option. (80 CDs is not really an option!) Then I remembered my BartPE was on a Verbatim DVD+RW. So I erased him and gave that disk a go. It also worked! I only had the one DVD+RW so cancelled the operation after the first disk was written to. I think I needed 8 disks for my presently bloated system... around 30 GBs for the Image; around 40GBs used on my C: Drive.

Finally, before I finished up, I gave another unused Verbatim DVD-R a try. This time Ghost started writing the Image. If it hadn't worked, I probably would have given up, gone out and bought an external Drive, and gone back to Ghost 10. But now I'm determined...  Wink

A new day, and just now, I tried the DVD-RWs again. Straight-out-of-the-packet, but no go! I haven't yet given the DVD+R DL Disks another go, but I guess that that is next.

I'm struggling to find any rhyme or reason for this behaviour. I would like any suggestions for troubleshooting the issue. Is there any way of predetermining whether an attempt by Ghost to write an image to a DVD will be successful.

I noticed that when the Virtual Partition is booting, there is an option to hit F5 or F8 to step through the config.sys and autoexec.bat. Would this be useful? What would I look for?

Being unfamiliar with DOS, how would I go about opening and reading the Ghosterr.txt in the Virtual Partition to look for clues?

Or does the fact that the DVD-Rs failed at first then later worked, point to a glitch on the hardware side of the DVD writer? Resetting something?

Is there a freeware or shareware programme that might help troubleshoot?

All suggestions and advice will be appreciated.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Optical Media in the Virtual Partition
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2007 at 4:53pm

allanf wrote on May 15th, 2007 at 10:45pm:
"... If it hadn't worked, I probably would have given up, gone out and bought an external Drive..."

Actually, nowadays I strongly prefer an internal SATA NCQ HDD mounted in a combo SATA/USB2 external enclosure kit fitted out with its own fan and with its own power supply Cool

A Ghost Backup image, whether "hot-imaged" or "cold-imaged", no longer inspires any confidence in me when stored on optical media of any description - and confidence is what Ghost is all about.  I have "seen-the-elephant" when the floodwaters of Hurricane Katrina inundated our home, and I was so very glad that I had my my Ghost v2003 "disk-to-image" Backup images on USB2 Macally HDD enclosure kits doubly-sealed in ZipLok bags and wrapped with duct tape atop the highest shelf in my office.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2007 at 5:19pm

El_Pescador wrote on May 16th, 2007 at 4:53pm:
Actually, nowadays I strongly prefer an internal SATA NCQ HDD mounted in a combo SATA/USB2 external enclosure kit fitted out with its own fan and with its own power supply Cool

EP, I'm not in your league with external HDs. My first was USB with a fan. My second is SATA/USB without a fan. Using SATA mode, I monitored the HD temperature and I was surprised to find that it ran cooler than my internal HDs.

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2007 at 7:59pm

Hi,

Well! The TDK DVD-RWs weren't good for ghosting, so I decided to put them to use as the media for my archive-type "Files and Folders" Backups with Windows Live Onecare. I had been using TDK CD-RWs without trouble. The first new backup with the DVD-RWs seemed to go ahead OK. But when I tried to update the backup, an error message popped up saying something like "Disk Corrupted. Start Again!" (I can hear Brian and others saying, "I told you so!"  Smiley  )

The Computer Manufacturer's Support Line had little to say except that all Rewriteable DVD Media is unstable, and -Rs are less reliable than +Rs. The TDK DVD-RWs are in the trash!

I found it interesting to read from TDK:
"Rule of thumb: look for the highest RW speed the writer can do. "
I was actually thinking of trying media specified as having Read/Write Speeds slower than my Drive's capability.

Also, in the case of DVD+RWs (4x), "A firmware update may be necessary to utilise this media with the corresponding recorder", even when the Writer is specified as having 4x capabilities out of the box. Questioning

Anyway, I'm off to the computer store again to see what's on offer hardware-wise.

Brian, ... New England.

IP Logged

kd6aaj
Dude

I think I can, I think
I can...

California, USA

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2007 at 6:38pm

Hi, this is somewhat familiar territory for me.

You can use Roxio or Nero (and other programs) to "format" the DVDRW.

a used RW type disc is probably "formated" by the software that wrote to it.

I don't use RW discs, just -R and +R discs with an internal DVD-RW Drive.

There is another post here or on the old Radified forum about "external optical drives" started by NightOwl. You will have to search for it, my memory escapes me.

I think it may be impossible to use external USB optical drives, but I may be wrong.

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2007 at 12:50am

kd6aaj wrote on May 17th, 2007 at 6:38pm:
... a used RW type disc is probably "formated" by the software that wrote to it.

Hi kd6aaj,

Spot on! Q: When is a blank re-writeable disc not a blank re-writeable disc? A: When it's straight out of the packet! I feel a bit like a dummy!   Cheesy

I have spent the last three days trying to figure out what broke the packet-writing software that came with my computer - Sonic DLA. Two full OS reinstalls later and it seems to be working - probably because I am yet to install certain other programmes and updates. Undecided

Still! There's some strange behaviour with the DVD-RWs (that's the "minus" ones), which I salvaged from the trash. I've tried "full format", followed by "quick format" and "full format" again. And then I tried the "make compatible" option which is available with DVD-RWs but not DVD+RWs.

A usual first error with any type of disk is the "Error accessing CD/DVD disk (52105): No CD/DVD disc in drive." But that's OK... takes a while for the disc to spin up after the reboot. Selecting "Retry" when using re-writeable DVDs brings up "The DVD disc is not blank. Overwrite it?" That is what is supposed to happen according to Table 8-1 on Page 113 in the Ghost Guide. Now! With DVD-RWs something weird is happening after selecting "Yes". Ghost Backup gets under way. Something flashes past on the bottom status bar... something like "Checking directory structure... Checking NTFS Volume info..."  Then, after a split second: "Closing CD/DVD Session. Disc will be ejected upon completion." A minute or two later, the disk is ejected and a message pops up: "New CD-R needed (51902: Insert next CD/DVD disc."
Inserting the next disk brings up some statistics: "Time elapsed - 3:38" and "Time remaining - 1696:57:28" The image size is only around 4GB. (Brian!... Hand me the gun, please.  Smiley)

Having a look at the disks back in Windows, and I can see on each a single CDR0000*.GHO file of 32KB, and the following: File System is CDFS, Free Space: 0 bytes, Total Size: 683 MB. Weird! Reformatting brings the disks back to normal DVD status in UDF.

Anyway! The DVD+RWs are working well.

IP Logged

kd6aaj
Dude

I think I can, I think
I can...

California, USA

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2007 at 11:15am

That's strange. It actually formatted them like a CD-R then?

When I use DVD-R or DVD+R Ghost uses the whole disc (or most of it).

There must be some missing code in Ghost to hand DVD-RW? It is like Ghost believes they are CD-RW instead.

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2007 at 9:25pm

kd6aaj wrote on May 22nd, 2007 at 11:15am:
That's strange. It actually formatted them like a CD-R then?

Strange indeed! But I think that the problem is in Windows.

In Windows Explorer, I am looking at my DVD+RW disk, onto which Ghost in the Virtual Partition was able to successfully write Image Files of my entire system (C:\ Drive RAID-0 Array).

On the left panel under "Details", I see:
Code:
GHOST_001 (D:)
CD Drive
File System: CDFS
Free Space: 0 Bytes
Total Size: 683 MB   [That is only 699,392 KB]

(This is the same as with the DVD-RWs)

However, in the main pane of Windows Explorer, I see three Files:
CDR00001.GHO; Ghost Image File; 627,616 KB
CDR00002.GHO; Ghost Image File; 1,048,576 KB
CDR00003.GHO; Ghost Image File; 715,591 KB

(I have Restored my entire system from these three files. Brilliant! I'm still over the moon!  Grin  )

But something in Windows Explorer doesn't add up!

My Conclusion: Ghost in the Virtual Partition formats all Re-writeable Optical Media with the CDFS File System. When Windows Explorer sees a Disk having CDFS it concludes that it is a CD-RW Disk and reports the wrong size of a DVD. How does that sound?

I can't explain why Ghost will only write one 32 KB file to each DVD-RW then close the session. It must be one of those differences between -RWs and +RWs that is hidden from mug consumers like me.

The total of my Image Files on the DVD+RW is 2,391,783 KB. At 32 KB per DVD-RW Disk, that's 74,743.21875 Disks required; and written over an estimated time period of 1696 hours:57 minutes:28 seconds (that's only 71 days of writing time... add a few days for changing the disks, coffee breaks, etc... LOL!). How would you go about opening the Image in Ghost Explorer? Disk #1 first, then Disk #74744 .... LOL!

DVD-Rs are working fine. But I still haven't managed to get Ghost in the Virtual Partition to write to DVD+R DLs. In fact, I don't seem to be able to write/burn DVD+R DLs in any Windows applications either. Hmmmm. The Computer's Manual says I can. So does Sonic DLA v.4.95. The following is from DLA Help:

Quote:
Using DLA With Double-Layer Discs

DLA now supports double-layer discs when used with compatible DVD recorders.

Double-layer discs have two reflective surfaces, one slightly beneath the other. The DVD player's laser reads one surface from the disc center to the edge, then refocuses on the other surface and reads back toward the center. Unlike double-sided discs, you do not need to turn the disc over during recording or playback. There is a small pause in playback when the laser refocuses, but this is usually not noticeable.

Here are some tips when using double-layer discs with DLA:

Double-layer discs are also called DVD 9 discs.
Versions of DLA before version 4.9 do not support the use of double-layer discs.
When DLA is used with double-layer +R media in a double-layer +RW drive, a message is displayed containing important information about the use of appendable double-layer discs.

I just get an error message:
Code:
Windows Explorer:
D:/ is not accessible.
Incorrect function.
OK

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2007 at 8:04pm

Picture of a DVD+RW written with Ghost 2003 in the Virtual Partition. Note the size of the Image Files and the size of the CD Drive under "Details".

http://lh4.google.co.uk/image/allanf.allanf/RlTcJ42Yy_I/AAAAAAAAAB4/XVlqD78s5QU/...

(Testing picture uploads. Apologies for broken link in future.)

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2007 at 10:59pm

Pictures of two sequential DVD-RWs written with Ghost 2003 in the Virtual Partition. Note the size of the Image Files! Two disks was as far as I bothered to go!

http://lh5.google.co.uk/image/allanf.allanf/RlUKR42YzBI/AAAAAAAAACU/v2cqpewJV5Y/...

http://lh3.google.co.uk/image/allanf.allanf/RlUKJY2YzAI/AAAAAAAAACI/FLUHS9BRSDQ/...

(Testing picture uploads. Apologies for broken link in future.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print