Send Topic Print
CHKDSK error (Read 5350 times)
rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

CHKDSK error
May 22nd, 2007 at 6:08am

Everytime I run scandisk on my Vista Home Premium (scheduled - will run after boot), I'm always getting bellow error. It's a long list error:

39 percent complete. (XXXXXXXX.. of XXXXXXX.. USN bytes processed)

Where XXX.. is a number eg. 97517568 of 104914048.

Maybe the amount of the list is around 40 - 50 list.

Anyone know what is this?

I noticed this error after restoring a backup using Norton Save and Restore 2.0.

Can we use Norton Save and Restore 2.0 recovery environment to restore a backup created by Norton Ghost 10?

RR

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: CHKDSK error
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2007 at 8:15am

rulirahm wrote on May 22nd, 2007 at 6:08am:
Can we use Norton Save and Restore 2.0 recovery environment to restore a backup created by Norton Ghost 10?

Was the Ghost 10 backup created of a Vista pc or a XP pc?  Ghost 10 doesn't support Vista, so even if you created a backup of your PC Vista using Ghost 10, it's not valid as a Vista image backup.  Is that what you did?

I think you could probably restore some individual files or folders, but not the entire partition and disk structure.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2007 at 9:00pm

John. wrote on May 22nd, 2007 at 8:15am:
rulirahm wrote on May 22nd, 2007 at 6:08am:

Was the Ghost 10 backup created of a Vista pc or a XP pc?  Ghost 10 doesn't support Vista, so even if you created a backup of your PC Vista using Ghost 10, it's not valid as a Vista image backup.  Is that what you did?

I think you could probably restore some individual files or folders, but not the entire partition and disk structure.

The Ghost 10 backup created of XP.

Regarding to Norton Save & Restore (NSR) 2.0 vs. Ghost 12, I think Norton Save and Restore don't use imaging technology that if we restore a backup using NSR, won't do full restore.

What will you choose, NSR or Ghost?

RR

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2007 at 9:28pm

Just to clarify what you have,

Sometime in the past you took a backup of your Windows XP pc with Ghost 10.

Now you have Vista installed.
You're getting the errors listed above.

And your question is "Can I boot from the Windows Save & Restore 2.0" recovery cd and restore my pc back to the Windows XP state?

Yes, I think Norton S&R 2.0 is backward compatible.  But why not use the Ghost 10 recovery cd and restore using it?

Norton Save & Restore is almost equivalent to Ghost 10 except that file and folder backups were added as another feature.  Look at www.symantec.com and compare.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1177478360/30#33

Sorry, I may misunderstand what your question really is.

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2007 at 8:38pm

John. wrote on May 22nd, 2007 at 9:28pm:
Just to clarify what you have,

Sometime in the past you took a backup of your Windows XP pc with Ghost 10.

Now you have Vista installed.
You're getting the errors listed above.

Precisely, and I'm still keep the backup of my XP. Two image file created by Ghost 10.

John. wrote on May 22nd, 2007 at 9:28pm:
And your question is "Can I boot from the Windows Save & Restore 2.0" recovery cd and restore my pc back to the Windows XP state?

Yes, I think Norton S&R 2.0 is backward compatible.  But why not use the Ghost 10 recovery cd and restore using it?
But it will be more backward compatible if we use Ghost 12 instead of Norton Save and restore, right?

Why we must go to our CD collection and go find Ghost 10  whereas Ghost 12 or Norton Save and Restore can do the job of Ghost 10. Easy way.

RR

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2007 at 8:52pm

rulirahm wrote on May 23rd, 2007 at 8:38pm:
Why we must go to our CD collection and go find Ghost 10  whereas Ghost 12 or Norton Save and Restore can do the job of Ghost 10. Easy way.

Because, it is safer to restore using the same software version that you used to create the backup with.

If you used Ghost 10 to create the backup, use the Ghost 10 Recovery CD to restore the Ghost-10-backup.

If you used Ghost 12 to create the backup, use Ghost 12 to restore the Ghost-12-backup.

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2007 at 1:26am

Oh, IC. Yes, I like to be save. Thanks.  Smiley

RR

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1