Send Topic Print
Can't Boot from CD (Read 44380 times)
cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Can't Boot from CD
Jul 22nd, 2007 at 11:34am

Hi.

I messed up my system by installing Notebook Hardware Control because I wanted to measure the temperature.
After I noticed that this program was bad I tried a System Restore but without luck.
System Restore is not working anymore with none of the restiore points not even in Save Mode.
Then I tried Complete System Restore with the Vista installation DVD and I also tried to restore with Ghost but the CD in both cases goes as far as the Windows loader bar on the black screen and when the loader stops it stays on 
a black screen and nothing happens further.
Please help my by telling me how to get the Vista installation DVD working again or get Norton Ghost CD to boot.
My DVD drive seems to be fine because it's burning and playing files and all but it won't boot all the way through from CD or DVD, the system itself still boots fine

Thanks in advance,
Tommy

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Can't Boot from CD
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 12:32pm

cheng

Quote:
Please help my by telling me how to get the Vista installation DVD working again or get Norton Ghost CD to boot.

Did your Vista installation DVD boot successfully in the past?  Or, is this the first time you have tried it?

Does your system need special HDD controller drivers that are not on the installation DVD or Ghost CD by pressing *F6* early in the boot process when a message appears on the bottom of the screen telling you to press *F6* to load those drivers?  That can be common on newer hardware--the newer controller drivers lag behind installation discs fairly often!

The Ghost CD boot program may only allow a floppy disk with those drivers for loading them--the Vista installation DVD may allow loading those drivers from optical media!

Let us know if this helps and how you progress.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 12:58pm

.......thanks for your reply.
I'm running this system for a couple of month and it's working well.
Everything is on Vista standards like drivers hardware everything.
I never got a problem to restore Vista Ultimate from the Vista Image Backup before using the Vista installation DVD.
And since Ghost 12 is out I'm using this as a 2nd option.
It was performing nicely as well, even faster than the Vista Image Backup.
As I said, I installed Notebook Hardware Control and made a Restore Point before that.
Right after installation I noticed that it wasn't running well on Vista and uninstalled it.
Then I noticed that my system was very hot, more than usual and I wanted to use the Restore Point but none of them was working.
So I decided for a Norton Recovery but the CD wouldn't boot all the way through.
Same thing with the Vista DVD.
In both cases it boots until right after the green Windows loader bar animation and it stops.
Isn't there a way to get this fixed?
If my system crashes now I can't do nothing.
Hope one of you guys can help out.......thanks again........Tommy.......

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 10:40pm

cheng

Quote:
I never got a problem to restore Vista Ultimate from the Vista Image Backup before using the Vista installation DVD.

So, you have or have not ever booted to the Vista installation DVD successfully before now?

Quote:
Hope one of you guys can help out.......

You need to re-read my previous post...

Quote:
Does your system need special HDD controller drivers that are not on the installation DVD or Ghost CD by pressing *F6* early in the boot process when a message appears on the bottom of the screen telling you to press *F6* to load those drivers?  That can be common on newer hardware--the newer controller drivers lag behind installation discs fairly often!

If both the Ghost Recovery Disk and the Vista installation disc will not boot--most likely your system requires HDD controller drivers that are not included on those boot discs.  When these two discs are first booting, they display a brief message at the bottom of the screen saying to press *F6* key in order to load needed HDD controller drivers.

What is the make and model of your system--probably the manufacturer's website has the needed drivers--or you may have a drivers system disc that came with the computer system that has those drivers on it.

Ghost usually has to load those special drivers from a floppy disk.  Vista may be able to read those drivers off a floppy, optical drive, or maybe event a USB *thumb* drive!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 11:03pm

cheng wrote on Jul 22nd, 2007 at 12:58pm:
Then I noticed that my system was very hot, more than usual and

cheng,

What do you mean? How was this measured?

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 11:58pm

.......hi and thanks again to both of your replies.
I did boot from the Vista DVD many times before and the same goes for Norton Ghost 12.
Press F6 when booting was an option in XP but I never seen it while booting from the Vista DVD.
I'ved got 2x160 GB SATA Raid drives in my notebook without Raid enabled and as far as I know there are no special drivers needed but if that's the case definitly is pressing F6 not the option to get them because there is no F6 option in Vista while booting.
My system is an Acer Aspire 9525WSMi and there are no HDD drivers available for this model from the Acer website.
I've asked around but it seems that nobody knows what to do in a case like that.
I thought about flashing the Bios but I'm not comfortable with that because I've got the latest version for it allready.
About your question how to measure the heat.
I just had the feeling that my system was more hot than usual and that's why I nstalled Notebook Hardware Control to measure the exact temperature, the rest is history.
I really don't know what to do next.
Hopefully one of you guys got an idea,
Thanks again.......Tommy.......

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 12:55am

Tommy,

So the Ghost 12 CD and the Vista CD booted in the past but not anymore. Your system seemed hotter than normal. Do you have a Diagnostic partition or CD to check your hardware? Which brand laptop?

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 3:19am

.......hi again.
Sorry but I don't have a diagnostic CD.
The system seems to run much better now exept a few flaws like System Restore won't work, can't boot from CD or DVD and I noticed that Disk Defragmataion won't open as well.
Attched a zipped PDF file with my system details.
Hope that helps to figure something out.
I created a new Ghost CD which is also adding system drivers that are not present on original CD but while booting from it the same thing as before.
Also I can't beleive that the DVD drive is defekt because it's working in every aspect and it starts to boot as well but not all the way through.
I booted Acronis which is not installed anymore but I wanted to see if the CD boots and it did but it's a different boot procedere than Ghost and Vista as it just boots into the Acronis Recovery Environment and Ghost boots as same as the Vista installation DVD with Loading Files bar on the bottom.
Tried the DVD and CD on another PC and they are ok.
I wonder if I get this fixed myself.
Thanks again.......Tommy.......

SystemData.zip (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 4:06am

cheng,

You don't need an OS or even a HD for the Recovery Environment to boot. If you don't have SATA drivers the Recovery Environment still boots but then you can't see the HDs.

I think it's a hardware problem. Can you try Memtest to check your RAM?

http://www.memtest.org/

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 8:48am

.......ok will do.
Is it ok to the memtest by booting it fron CD because this is working by the way.
I downloaded the - Memtest86 v3.3 ISO image (zip) from here:
http://www.memtest86.com/
Is this correct and is it normal that this test goes on for hours?
Where I will find the test results afterwards so I can send them to you?
Hope that you can find out from the results was is wrong.......Tommy.......

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 9:54am

cheng

Quote:
Is it ok to the memtest by booting it fron CD because this is working by the way.

So, you have booted from the DOS boot CD successfully?!  That's a good sign!

Quote:
Is this correct and is it normal that this test goes on for hours?

If you do not specify the number of times the test runs, it will be continuous until you cancel the process.

Quote:
Where I will find the test results afterwards so I can send them to you?

The results should be listed on the monitor when the test completes, or the continuous testing is canceled--you can then write down the results--or it may offer to save them to a text file--but it might be looking for a floppy disk to save to, and you will not be able to save to the boot CD!

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 10:26am

.......memtest86 didn't show any errors and the Vista memory test is fine as well.
What I don't understand is I can boot memtest and I can boot into the Acronis Recovery Environment but Ghost and Vista installation boots only half way through.
The DVD and CD is working fine on another PC and DVD drive plays every file and writes data to CD and DVD etc.
So I don'tthink that the DVD drive is defekt but when I can't boot Vista or Ghost?
I hope you another suggestion on what I can try to fix this........

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 3:32pm

cheng,

This page is interesting although it doesn't answer your problem.

http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic73477.html

As a test, could you remove the HD from your laptop and try to boot from the Ghost and Vista CDs. If they boot it suggests "something" in the HD is the problem.

I've booted BartPE without a HD but I haven't tried it with a Ghost CD. Maybe it won't work. Try it and see.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 5:35pm

I can now confirm that the Ghost 12 CD boots normally with the HD disconnected. The Recovery Environment works as expected although it can't find a HD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 5:59pm

cheng,

Did you pay for your Memtest? The one I posted is free, Memtest86+ ver 1.70, and is the one most people use. It should be run for at least 4 hours or even overnight.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print