Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ghost '03 - Can't See USB drive to write, but can read it (Read 18419 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost '03 - Can't See USB drive to write, but can read it
Reply #15 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 10:09am

gman

Quote:
Please tell me what to do and how to check what version of USB driver I currently have installed.

The answers are in the various posts above in this thread!

Quote:
After clicking on the downloaded *.exe* file which extracts the enclosed files, you will find the *Usbaspi.sys* file in the *F2h* subdirectory.

Put each downloaded file in a separate sub-directory, click on it to run the extraction process, and then you find the *usbaspi.sys* file in the *F2h* directory created by the extraction process.

That's the Panasonic USB DOS driver.  Make up three subdirectories with the version as its name, copy and paste the *usbaspi.sys* file from each extracted file to the appropriate version sub-directory.

Because the driver name is the same for each version, you have to keep them separate--you can not extract the files to the same sub-directory or you will over-write the previous files.  And you can save the *usbaspi.sys* file of the three versions to the same sub-directory because again they will over-write each other.

Re-create your boot disc files, and use the version of *usbaspi.sys* that you want to use in the process.

Quote:
You can hit F8 when the system first says it's loading DOS, PC-DOS, Win98..., or whatever the message is--and you should get the option to go through the boot files in a *step-by-step* fashion--so you have to say *Yes, or No* to each line--you should see then whether a config.sys and/or autoexec.bat is loaded and read during boot.

When using the step-by-step boot, when the *usbaspi.sys* file is loaded, it displays the version as part of the load message you will get.

I'm curious, did you ever do that with your *successful* boot floppy that you do not find an autoexec.bat or config.sys file listed--what was the result?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

gman
Dude

Reply #16 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 1:36pm

Thank you!  Ok.  I think I got it with one question before I run anything....
On my current "working boot CD", there is no Usbaspi.sys file.  Can I just add that file to my boot image - the IMA file and then burn it?  And, do I need to delete the driver on the boot image file (name???) that does NOT work on the DELL laptop so that it won't conflict with newer driver(s) you pointed me to to avoid driver conflicts?

thanks!

G!

PS - I tried adding one Usbaspi.sys file and win Image says the "Image is Full".  I guess I have to delete something....

IP Logged

gman
Dude

Reply #17 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 8:30am

Thank you!  One question before I run anything....

On my current "working boot CD", there is no Usbaspi.sys file.  Can I just add that file to my boot image - the IMA file and then burn it?  Before I burn, do I need to delete a USB driver in the boot image file (name???) that does NOT work on the DELL laptop so that it won't conflict with newer driver(s) you pointed me to ?

thanks!

G!

PS - I tried adding one the 2.20 Usbaspi.sys file and win Image says the "Image is Full".  I guess I have to delete something....

Then I made a new image with a 2.88 file size and added the same file and still had no luck...what am I missing???

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #18 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 8:58am

gman

Quote:
Before I burn, do I need to delete a USB driver in the boot image file (name???) that does NOT work on the DELL laptop so that it won't conflict with newer driver(s) you pointed me to ?

Yes, if the driver does not work, you should deleted it--and you have to change the *autoexec.bat* and/or the *config.sys* accordingly as well.

List the current *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* file contents--and the list of boot files you are including in the boot image file.

If you change to 2.88 MB image size--your burning program has to have the needed setting to work with that boot image size as well--you can not use the standard size of 1.44 MB setting in the burning program if it does not allow for changing to the 2.88 MB size.  Does you burning program support the 2.88 MB size?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

gman
Dude

Reply #19 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 10:50am

I tried to send a pdf file but it didn't work...

here is a jpeg file for the boot contents:

winimage.jpeg

Thanks for all your help....I don't know what I'd do without you.  I feel I'm getting close to solving this crazy problem!

WinImage.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #20 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 2:24am

gman

You will not be able to add USB DOS drivers unless you place *ghost.exe* on the data part of the disc, instead of the in the hidden boot sector with the other boot files.  Unless you can change the boot sector to 2.88 MB--but, then your burning program has to support that too!

Post the contents of *autoexec.bat* and *config.sys*.

IP Logged

gman
Dude

Reply #21 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 9:01am

You will not be able to add USB DOS drivers unless you place *ghost.exe* on the data part of the disc, instead of the in the hidden boot sector with the other boot files.  Unless you can change the boot sector to 2.88 MB--but, then your burning program has to support that too!

I did find out that the software will allow me to use 2.88.

Post the contents of *autoexec.bat* and *config.sys*.

I' CONFUSED?  I did post the contents of autoexec.bat and config.sys in the last post.  Did you see it.

I think what I need to know is what file I need to delete on my boot disc that is the USB driver that will potentially conflict with the new ones you pointed me too. 
Which file on the boot image is the USB driver???

I need to knock this problem out today...or I'm going to be fired.  Please help!

What changes do I need to make in autoexec.bat and config sys for adding the updated USB drivers???

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #22 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 9:38am

gman

Quote:
I' CONFUSED?  I did post the contents of autoexec.bat and config.sys in the last post.  Did you see it.

I see a list of the boot files in an image box--but I don't see a listing of the command lines that are *inside* those files that control what's loaded during booting!

Quote:
I think what I need to know is what file I need to delete on my boot disc that is the USB driver that will potentially conflict with the new ones you pointed me too.  Which file on the boot image is the USB driver???

In the above listing of DOS files on that boot disc (image?), you do not have a USB DOS driver listed!

To add the Panasonic DOS USB driver files, you need to add the *Motto Hairu USB Driver*
(Device=di1000dd.sys), and the *Panasonic USB DOS driver* (Device=usbaspi.sys /v), as discussed here:  A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

IP Logged

gman
Dude

Reply #23 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 9:49am

Is there any way you can edit my config.sys file and autoexec.bat file with the command lines you feel I need listed and reply with that in your message.  I have no knowledge of computer programming language and writing command lines...

did you get my last message with the 2 file details?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #24 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 10:02am

gman

Here's the response to your PM message:

Quote:
gman

You're not loading any USB DOS drivers--only optical drive drivers, and mouse.

Quote:
config.sys

device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
lastdrive=z  

autoexec.bat

path=a:\;x:\
mouse.com
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v
ghost.exe  

This would load the Pansonic USB DOS drivers--and you have to add those files to the list of boot files to be used:

[config.sys]

device=usbaspi.sys /v
device=di1000dd.sys

lastdrive=z

IP Logged

gman
Dude

Reply #25 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 10:14am

Ok. I added these files to the disc.  Made it 2.88 on winimage and in the burnining software and edited config.sys with the additions and burned.

When the laptop boots, i see a new post that shows he usb panasonic driver loading (hooray!) but it gets hung up and says "...inititializing host controller 1/5..."  It's been there a couple of minutes...no changes.  Any ideas?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #26 - Oct 12th, 2007 at 2:33am

gman

Quote:
but it gets hung up and says "...inititializing host controller 1/5..."  It's been there a couple of minutes...no changes.  Any ideas?

Hmmm...does the laptop's BIOS have built-in USB support?--for instance can you boot from a USB flash drive?

I think if the Panasonic DOS USB driver hangs like you mention--there may be a conflict with another USB driver.

You might see if you have the option of disabling *legacy USB support* in the BIOS, and re-boot to see if that helps!

IP Logged

gman
Dude

Reply #27 - Oct 12th, 2007 at 10:44am

thanks for your continued help and follow up with me...

This is such a pain in the butt!

Ok - with USB emulation turned off, I can now see the drive as source and destination.  A FIRST! 

BUT, when I get into ghost, I get hung up and nothing happens once I direct the program to go ahead with creating the image.

I tried several different versions of boot discs, trying to get away from this and one time it started writing, then it failed within about 5-10 minutes after writing about 300MB of data:

here are some details of what I did:

TEST DISC #1

THIS cd  DIDN’T SEE USB IN SOURCE.

CONFIG SYS

device=aspiuhci.sys
Device=usbaspi.sys /v
Device=di1000dd.sys
lastdrive=z

AUTOEXEC.BAT

path=a:\;x:\
mouse.com
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v
@echo off

--
ASPIOHCI.SYS
ASPIUHCI.SYS
**USBASPI.SYS – 11/7/04

TEST DISC 2

CHANGED USB DRIVER TO VER 2.15

THIS DISC DID NOT RECONGNIZE THE USB DRIVE AT ALL – ONLY C DRIVE WAS SEEN IN SOURCE…

Test disc 3

Added Aspiehci.sys to image file

Changed autoexec to include ghost.exe

Config sys

Added
Device=Aspiehci.sys

WAS ABLE TO SEE SOURCE AND DESTINATION USB DRIVE IN GHOST.
WHEN IT LAUNCHES, GHOST SHOWS WEIRD TIME REMAINING AND ELAPSED TIME. 

NOTHING SHOWS IN THE PROGRESS INDICATOR, % COMPLETE, MB/MIN, MB COPIED

TEST DISC #4

DELETED 2 FILES
ASPIUHCI.sys
ASPIOHCI.sys

Could see USB drive in source and destination.  Once directed system to write image, ghost gets hung up and nothing seems to happen.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #28 - Oct 12th, 2007 at 11:51pm

gman

Quote:
Ok - with USB emulation turned off, I can now see the drive as source and destination.  A FIRST!

Yes!!!

Quote:
one time it started writing, then it failed within about 5-10 minutes after writing about 300MB of data

Noooooooo  Sad !

Okay--do that again, but before you do, add *himem.sys* to your config.sys commands and the file to the list of boot files!!!  Use the following as the first line in config.sys:

Quote:
device=himem.sys

There's been a couple other posters in the past where their systems needed a DOS memory manager--and their problem was similar--Ghost loaded and started, but at some point during the Ghost procedure it would fail.

Any *joy* now?!

IP Logged

gman
Dude

Reply #29 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 7:43pm

Unfortunately not.  But I thought we were in!

After messing around and losing another few days of my life with this, here is what I've done:

I bought a USB floppy drive and tried using it changing USb emulation on and off.  Neither worked.

At the same time, I bought the new version of ghost (12) after I called  symantec and thought if the USB drive didn't take, then investing a few bucks to free me (and you) from some serious pain would be more than worthwhile.

I THINK IT WORKED!

I say "I think"  because the interface is so different and the instructions are so weak that I'm flying blind and not sure how to check my work.

The gho ghs files of the past are not more and it seems to me that I can't even access the image files from windows explorer unless i'm in ghost recovery mode.

So, long last after a truly exhaustive search with a lot less hair, I feel a little more at ease.

Here is a believe one of my last questions on this issue (I hope).

If you're familiar with Ghost 12, is there a way to do an integrity check as in ghost 2002, 2003 etc.?

If there is and I can run it, my peace of mind will be put to rest.

I did make a System recovery disc in ghost 12 that is supposed to have all the drivers required for my machine. 

So my friend in cyberspace, I'm am certain you are curious as can be about what the heck is the stop on the 2003 issues, and after already getting an image late yesterday in ghost 12, I did just for grins try your himem.sys just to see.

Please let me know your thoughts on my questions to ghost 12.

With many many thanks.

Gman

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print