Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 14 (Read 128093 times)
John.
Übermensch

Re: Norton Ghost 14
Reply #15 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 3:32pm

Rad wrote on Feb 16th, 2008 at 12:25pm:
Quote:
This way, you can keep track of all recovery points and Offset Copies located on your external drives.

Again, cool. But unlikely to receive much use. "Offsite Copies" is capitalized? My, how imaging has come to embrace our fundamental tenets.

You've forgotten the basic fundamentals of sales:

1. You've got trouble in River City, aka a problem: you need "Offsite Copy".
2. I'm selling a solution:  "Offsite Storage".

Stay tuned for Symantec's announcement that they will be providing Offsite Storage soon.

Marketing 101.   Smiley

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #16 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 5:44pm

The ‘corporate cousin’ of Norton Ghost 14 (i.e., Backup Exec System Recovery 8) was released on February, 19, 2008:

Quote:
CUPERTINO, Calif. – Feb. 19, 2008 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 8, the latest version of its complete and rapid Windows system recovery solution—now with flexible offsite protection and enhanced recovery capabilities, integration with Symantec security and systems management solutions, and certified support for Windows Server 2008. With disk-based Backup Exec System Recovery, organizations can recover from system loss or disasters in minutes, even to dissimilar hardware, virtual environments or in remote, unattended locations.

“Today’s mission-critical environments must be quickly recoverable in the event of a system failure or disaster to avoid the revenue and employee productivity losses that too often result from downtime,” said Pat Hanavan, vice president of product management, Symantec. “Backup Exec System Recovery 8 enables administrators to get their Windows systems back up and running fast so they can meet strict recovery time objectives with confidence and minimize the impact of system downtime.”

To enhance an organization’s disaster recovery efforts, Backup Exec System Recovery 8 now includes flexible offsite protection that enables administrators to automatically copy recovery points to a remote server using FTP or to an external hard drive or network share. A new Granular Restore Option enables organizations to recover Microsoft Exchange mailboxes, folders, messages, and attachments; individual Microsoft SharePoint documents; and individual files or folders in minutes from a single, multi-tab interface. In addition, Backup Exec System Recovery 8 also includes integration with Symantec’s ThreatCon global security alerting system to enable system recovery points to be captured immediately and automatically in the event of an elevated Internet ThreatCon level.

“Every hour of IT system downtime can represent revenue losses or other adverse effects on business. In fact, recent ESG Research reveals that 63 percent of organizations could tolerate no more than four hours of downtime,” said Lauren Whitehouse, analyst for Enterprise Strategy Group. “To minimize such costly business interruptions, organizations need solutions such as Symantec’s Backup Exec System Recovery that enable full system restoration in minutes—even to virtual, bare-metal or dissimilar hardware systems.”

Integration of Backup Exec System Recovery 8 with the Altiris management platform enables administrators to control backup tasks from a familiar interface and database framework. In addition, Backup Exec System Recovery 8 can now intelligently and uniquely communicate to external USB drives and run backup jobs to the given device, even if Windows changes the drive letter for the device.

“We pride ourselves on exceptional customer service, and ensuring the availability of our systems is essential to providing that service. In the past, Windows system recovery has been a time-consuming, manual process that could take days or even weeks, resulting in unnecessary downtime and loss of productivity,” said Curtis Kidd, information technology manager, Farmington Country Club. “Backup Exec System Recovery 8 eliminates these time consuming and tedious processes and enables us to restore entire systems in a fraction of the time of traditional methods – even to dissimilar hardware or virtual environments – allowing us to maintain the high level of service our members have come to expect.”

Also new with Backup Exec System Recovery 8 is logo-certified support for Windows Server 2008, including Restore Anyware technology for dissimilar hardware and physical-to-virtual restoration. Backup Exec System Recovery 8 leverages the power of virtualization for seamless physical to virtual (P2V) and virtual to physical (V2P) conversions to VMware® ESX Server, VMware Server, VMware Workstation and Microsoft Virtual Server disk formats.

Although Backup Exec System Recovery 8 is a standalone solution, it is complementary to Backup Exec for Windows Servers. Built on more than two decades of engineering, together Backup Exec 12 and Backup Exec System Recovery 8 deliver the ability to restore critical data and complete Windows systems in minutes.
Source:  Symantec Eases Disaster Recovery with Backup Exec System Recovery 8

The Desktop Edition is priced at $81 per license (includes 12 months of "basic support"), but it appears that a minimum of five licenses must be purchased.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #17 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 1:27pm

Norton Ghost 14 has arrived.

Quote:
CUPERTINO, Calif. – Feb. 25, 2008 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC), makers of Norton security software, today announced the release of Norton Ghost 14.0, its most advanced PC backup and recovery solution. Norton Ghost 14.0 backs up and restores a user’s entire PC computer system, including all of its data – applications, settings, folders and files – and offers exclusive remote backup management, industry-leading encryption and advanced compression features to ensure everything on the PC system is protected. Using Norton Ghost 14.0, users can quickly recover lost or damaged files and restore from system failures, even if their computer’s operating system does not start.

Norton Ghost 14.0 leverages Symantec’s ThreatCon global security alerting system to identify threats, trigger automatic incremental backups and protect the user’s system even before an attack can occur. It also offers powerful protection and enhanced performance with new features, such as offsite backup to an FTP site or Network-Attached Storage (NAS) devices, in addition to long-standing features like remote management and LightsOut Restore capability. With Norton Ghost 14.0, users can backup an entire system or only specific files and folders. Incremental backups and enhanced compression help reduce the amount of required storage, while the product’s encryption technology helps keep all of the stored data safe and protected. Norton Ghost 14.0 also integrates with Google Desktop™, providing users with access to fully-searchable backup indexes.

“PC users need complete protection from unforeseen threats to system data,” said Rowan Trollope, senior vice president, Symantec Corp. “Even if users diligently backup their systems, their PCs remain vulnerable to today’s most prevalent and potentially system-crippling threats. Norton Ghost 14.0 provides comprehensive protection from data loss by using the most advanced PC backup and recovery tools in the industry.”

Norton Ghost 14.0 works with most storage drives, including external hard drives, networked drives, and recordable and rewritable CDs and DVDs.
Source:  Symantec’s Newest Norton Ghost Packs Powerful Detection and Threat Protection Punch

IP Logged

k4kjf
Dude

2003 -Forever!

Reply #18 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 8:22am

Downloaded the Ghost 14 trial version from the Symantec web site a few days ago and purchased a key for it yesterday.  

You have to purchase a product key to get the 170 MB or so .iso file that allows you to make a Recovery Environment boot CDR.

Made an image (Recovery Point) of my Vista system partition and another of one of my data partitions.  So far I like it. Very intuitive and easy to use.  Nice user interface. The real proof of the pudding will be next week when I try to restore the system partition image to an empty test drive to make sure all works as advertised.

But….. I ran into a small problem regarding the Ethernet drivers for the integrated Ethernet on my motherboard.  They are not included on the SRD (Symantec Recovery Disk) made from the .iso file.  I found a workaround, but it is a little cumbersome.  You have to boot from the SRD, then use one of the utilities there to load the Ethernet driver (.inf file) from the CD-ROM furnished with the motherboard, then start network services, run the built-in ipconfig utility to verify that all is well, map a drive letter to a remote system, and finally then you will have access to the remote system for restore or image browsing activities.  

My question is this.  According to page 29 of the user guide ( www.norton.com\ngh14guide ) you can make a custom boot CDR that includes drivers specific to your system. However, I cannot find the tabs/buttons etc in the user interface that allow me to do this.  Has anyone else been successful in making an SRD this way?  (In my instllation there is no "Create Recovery Disks" option under "Tasks" as the manual seems to state???)

BTW, I'm running off the trial installation which I activated with the purchased product key.  When I purchased the key, I was offered another installation file and I did download it, but it is the same size and name as the one I originally installed, so didn't bother with it.  

The About display states that I have version 14.0.1.24977

Ken

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #19 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 8:40am

Quote:
In my instllation there is no "Create Recovery Disks" option under "Tasks" as the manual seems to state.

I don't have Ghost 14, but in Ghost 12 it is under File/Create Recovery Disk top left corner tab.

IP Logged

k4kjf
Dude

2003 -Forever!

Reply #20 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 9:32am

Thanks John.  I only have the "Exit" option under "Files".  

Will keep looking. Its probably here somewhere.

Jeb

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #21 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 9:38am

k4kjf wrote on Mar 1st, 2008 at 9:32am:
Thanks John.  I only have the "Exit" option under "Files".  
Will keep looking. Its probably here somewhere. eb

I wonder if it's not there because you have the trial version, or need to install the full version.  If you don't find it, try the Symantec free livechat.

IP Logged

Bill Wood
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Villanova, PA

Reply #22 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 10:30am

NG 14 has an advanced option when defining a backup to "Perform full VSS backup" - does anyone know what that means?  Was this option in earlier versions?  Its not documented by Norton in the help file and I can't find a reference in Google!  I thought that Ghost used VSS to create a consistent point in time backup of the disk(s) but now I wonder if this is true unless you select this option?

IP Logged

Bill Wood
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Villanova, PA

Reply #23 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 10:36am

k4kjf wrote on Mar 1st, 2008 at 8:22am:
Downloaded the Ghost 14 trial version from the Symantec web site a few days ago and purchased a key for it yesterday.  

You have to purchase a product key to get the 170 MB or so .iso file that allows you to make a Recovery Environment boot CDR.

My question is this.  According to page 29 of the user guide ( www.norton.com\ngh14guide ) you can make a custom boot CDR that includes drivers specific to your system. However, I cannot find the tabs/buttons etc in the user interface that allow me to do this.  Has anyone else been successful in making an SRD this way?  (In my instllation there is no "Create Recovery Disks" option under "Tasks" as the manual seems to state???)

BTW, I'm running off the trial installation which I activated with the purchased product key.  When I purchased the key, I was offered another installation file and I did download it, but it is the same size and name as the one I originally installed, so didn't bother with it.  

The About display states that I have version 14.0.1.24977

Ken

I have the same version as you, I do have the option under Tasks to Create Recovery Disk.

I purchased mine outright without using the trial.  The filename was NGH140_AllWin_EnglishTryBuy30.exe

Why don't you try uninstalling and reinstalling?

- Bill

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #24 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 10:39am

Bill Wood wrote on Mar 1st, 2008 at 10:30am:
NG 14 has an advanced option when defining a backup to "Perform full VSS backup" - does anyone know what that means?  Was this option in earlier versions?  Its not documented by Norton in the help file and I can't find a reference in Google!  I thought that Ghost used VSS to create a consistent point in time backup of the disk(s) but now I wonder if this is true unless you select this option?

That must be a new feature of Ghost 14 because VSS files are not included in Ghost 12 backups.  See this other thread also:

Size Difference (NG12)
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1204311295

Having problems using Ghost 12
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1203113321/0#7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #25 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 1:21pm

Quote:
NG 14 has an advanced option when defining a backup to "Perform full VSS backup" - does anyone know what that means?

Interestingly, there is no mention whatsoever of a “full VSS backup” in the Norton Ghost 14 User's Guide.

IP Logged

Bill Wood
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Villanova, PA

Reply #26 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 2:12pm

I used "vssadmin list shadows" during backup to verify that VSS is being used even without "Perform full VSS backup" being selected (it defaults to off).  So that begs the question even more of what does it do?  I've tried Norton chat support but haven't gotten an answer.

IP Logged

Bill Wood
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Villanova, PA

Reply #27 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 3:44pm

Ok, here's my guess at what "Perform full VSS backup" means.  In Vista, System Restore is implemented by VSS, unlike XP where it is implemented by an archive mechanism.  VSS is also used for file versioning.  My bet is that "Perform full VSS backup" is for Vista only, and if selected will backup all your system restore points and previous file versions.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #28 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 5:12pm

Bill Wood wrote on Mar 1st, 2008 at 3:44pm:
Ok, here's my guess at what "Perform full VSS backup" means.  In Vista, System Restore is implemented by VSS, unlike XP where it is implemented by an archive mechanism.  VSS is also used for file versioning.  My bet is that "Perform full VSS backup" is for Vista only, and if selected will backup all your system restore points and previous file versions.

Bill, I agree with your conclusion.

If you would like to see what is in the Vista volume shadow storage, there is a nice free utility called ShadowStorage to show just that:

http://www.shadowexplorer.com/

On my Vista pc, ShadowExplorer shows vss restore points at least once a day (sometimes more) from 2/21/08 to today.  That's using 20gb of space.

IP Logged

Bill Wood
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Villanova, PA

Reply #29 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 9:12pm

Its odd that the option to back up the shadow storage is disabled by default.  One would think that by default your average user would want a complete backup including system restore points and file versions.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print