Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 trying to back up drive that has 2 drive letters (Read 12557 times)
Skills
Dude

I Love Radified!

Ghost 10 trying to back up drive that has 2 drive letters
Feb 12th, 2008 at 11:59pm

I'm trying to back up my 40 GB laptop drive to a new 80 gb drive.  On my 40 GB drive there is a c: and a d:, but they are both on the same physical disc.  I have the 80 GB in a caddy connected to usb.  I tried doing a backup by defining a new backup, choosing both my c and d drive, and creating the files.  However when I try to restore to the 80 GB I get the message EA39070A about 1/2 way through the restore process
message reads "the internal structure of the image file is invalid or unsupported"

I also tried doing the Copy my Hard Drive feature within Backup, but it won't let me choose to back up both the c: and d:, only one.  Which then overwrites the other when I try to restore the remaining drive. 

Can anyone tell me the best way to ghost my drive with two drive letters onto a new blank drive??

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 10 trying to back up drive that has 2 drive letters
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 12:56am

Skills,

That message may indicate a hardware problem. Could you check your HDs and cables. Did the image verify OK?

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=111&message.id=592

How large are your C: and D: partitions and how much data is in each? Is D: a data partition?

How large would you like the partitions on the 80 GB HD? I assume you want to switch HDs.

Do you have partitioning software?

IP Logged

Skills
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 8:35am

The c: drive is 10 GB and the d: drive is 30GB.  I would be fine with c taking up 10 gb and d taking up the rest.  d is for data and any other new programs i want to install.  i do not have partition software.

IP Logged

Skills
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 10:30am

I've tried with another usb external drive to back the data up to and got the same message.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 2:44pm

Skills,

Let's try restoring an image with the 80 GB HD mounted internally. This may be more appropriate as the target HD will be seen in its correct geometry during the restore.

But first you need to delete all partitions on your 80 GB HD. (Leave the 80 GB HD in the enclosure for the time being.) Do this from Disk Management. Then create a primary partition for your OS. Make it 10 to 15 GB. Your choice. Now create a primary or extended partition with the remainder of the space, containing one or more logical drives. Next, delete the initial primary partition as we need unallocated space in that area.

Create a Ghost 10 backup image of your OS partition, writing the image to the remaining partition on the 80 GB HD. Next step is to remove the 80 GB HD from the enclosure and install it in your laptop. Make sure it's seen in the BIOS. Don't connect the 40 GB HD to the laptop.

Boot to the Ghost 10 CD and restore your image to the unallocated space at the start of the HD. Click "Resize drive to fill unallocated space" if needed.

Does the new HD boot to the OS? We'll deal with the old D: drive shortly.

Questions?

IP Logged

Skills
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 6:45pm

ARgghh.  I've tried creating that file to the 80gb like you instructed, as well as just putting the file on the current d: drive just to experiment and both methods give that same error message.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 7:12pm

Skills,

Unfortunate. What brand is your 40 GB HD? Could you download the manufacturer's HD diagnostic software and check that HD.

You didn't mention whether the image verifies. Does it? I'm confused. Do you see the error with image creation or image restore.

How much Free Space is in your 10 GB C: drive?

IP Logged

Skills
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 8:50pm

It is an IBM Travelstar.  This happens during image creation when I have verify turned on.  Does not matter if I'm doing c: or d:.  I have 800 MB of free space on C:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 8:57pm

That's only 8 % free in the C: drive.  Could you move some data files from the C: drive to get the free % up to 15. It "may" make a difference and is worth trying. Then image with Verify not selected.

IP Logged

Skills
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 10:44pm

Ok, now the c: backed up successfully with a verification.  What is the best way to proceed with d:?  I'm going ahead with the loading of the c: now on the 80gb to see if that works.

IP Logged

Skills
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 11:11pm

Great.  C: looks to have been successful.  Now, the best way to do d:?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 11:21pm

Good news. Is the 80 GB HD in the laptop and you are booting to the OS?

IP Logged

Skills
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 11:28pm

Yes.  I haven't tried logging into it, as the previous config has my profile on d

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 11:38pm

Skills,

Quote:
I haven't tried logging into it, as the previous config has my profile on d

I'm not sure what you mean. You need to boot to this HD before connecting both HDs to the computer.

IP Logged

Skills
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 11:44pm

i mean that i was able to boot to the ctrl alt delete screen, but didn't try logging in, as my documents and settings profile was on the d drive.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print