Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Restoring Recovery Point Image to new Laptop Hard drive with Ghost 12 (Read 58949 times)
John.
Übermensch

Re: Restoring Recovery Point Image to new Laptop Hard drive with Ghost 12
Reply #15 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 1:31pm

rleescott wrote on Mar 26th, 2008 at 9:26am:
From what I understand, the expand option should have been available, correct?

Yes I think it should be.  Must be a bug in Ghost 12.  You basically have two options I would say:
1. Contact Symantec free LiveChat and see if this is a known problem and if they have a fix.

2. Get a partition manager product to do the resize manually.

FYI, I've had a few problems myself with Ghost xx not resizing when I wanted it to, but I have Partition Manager 8, so it wasn't a big deal.  The other advantage of PM8 is that you can resize your partitions to exactly the size you want.

This also doesn't help you, but for future, Vista has built in extend volume and shrink volume functions built into the Disk Management.  Again not everything that PM8 or similar software has, but a nice improvement.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #16 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 1:41pm

This list is my no means exhaustive, but here are 3 popular Partition Manger programs:

Norton PartitionMagic 8.0

Paragon Partition Manager 9.0 Personal

Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0

(Caution:  Always be sure you have a good verified image backup before modifying any partition!)

Finally, here is a list of "
free
" partition utilities.  I have no experience with these; list provided as is:
http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/partitioneditors.shtml

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 4:20pm

rleescott wrote on Mar 26th, 2008 at 9:26am:
Then I acquired an 80g drive,new, and tried to recover clone 1 to the new 80g drive. It worked, but the expand option was greyed out, but i did it anyway. It produced a c drive of 30g, not 80g. Since I don't want multiple partitions, this was a waste of new space for me. From what I understand, the expand option should have been available, correct?

Correct. Something is amiss. In an earlier post you mentioned ..

Quote:
not only was enlarge greyed out, but also check for errors and restore mbr was grey.

Strange too.

See if you get the same results with the new HD. The current 80 GB HD has bad sectors and maybe that accounts for the greyed out choices. Or maybe not.

Just restore the image to the new HD and if it only occupies 30 GB we can talk you through expanding the partition to any size you desire. It's easy and the software will be free.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #18 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 12:33pm

Thanks, Brian. Could you give us the info on the free partition software, anyway. Sounds like a good tool.
Can you comment on this question from my previous post?
Also, if I use clone2, which came from the 80g drive and recover it to the 30g smaller drive, will the program do it, because the recipient is smaller, as long as the data is less than 30g? Or will it think that the original partition was 80g, and therefore say I can't copy to a smaller drive
?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 3:28pm

rleescott,

Parted Magic 2.1

http://partedmagic.com/wiki/PartedMagic.php

Some instructions.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1191223327/4#4

Quote:
Also, if I use clone2, which came from the 80g drive and recover it to the 30g smaller drive, will the program do it, because the recipient is smaller, as long as the data is less than 30g? Or will it think that the original partition was 80g, and therefore say I can't copy to a smaller drive?

I haven't used clone2. When cloning to a smaller partition, you can only resize to the position of the last sector in use.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#15

See, "Why won't 5GB of data clone to a 10GB partition?"

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #20 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 9:31am

OK. So if I have a 30 g drive with a recovery point and I install it to an 80g drive and create a new recover point for the 80g drive, I should save both recovery points. This is so I can tranfer the 30g recovery to a 40g drive in the future, which I can't do with the 80g drive recovery point? This could easily occur for those who have very large drives, eg 250, and find that they can get a good deal on a 150g, which is suitable for their needs. Is this correct?
Thanks for the link to the parted magic. I think I will need advice when I need to use it.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 2:20pm

rleescott,

Let's say you have a 250 GB HD containing 20 GB of data. You can get a 30 GB HD for $1 and you would like to restore your image to the smaller HD and use the larger HD elsewhere. Easy to do.

With Parted Magic you resize the 250 GB partition to 30 GB. Create an image of the 30 GB partition. Restore that image to the 30 GB HD.

A less reliable way is to defrag the 250 GB partition before creating the image. If you are lucky (unlikely) and all of the data has been moved inside the first 30 GB of the partition, then this image will restore to a 30 GB HD.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #22 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 11:09am

Does this mean that a person who creates a g12 image(recovery point) of an 80g drive, single partition, and then has a drive failure so that it isn't possible to adjust the drive partitiion size, and who thinks that he can just get a new drive and restore to it, is wrong? By that, I mean, must he acquire a drive of equal or greater size or recovery will not work? This would be important for all to know.
Also, I have terrabyte copy/wipe that you linked. I have successfully copied drives with it. Will it take a large partitiion on an 80g drive holding 20g data and copy it to a 30g drive?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #23 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 8:45pm

It depends on the position of the last sector in use. You can certainly restore that image to an 80 GB or larger HD but you may be lucky and be able to restore to a much smaller HD. So defrag your OS partition before creating an image. This helps prevent used sectors towards the end of the partition.

I think the same reasoning applies to CopyWipe but I'm not certain.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #24 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 1:14pm

Ok. I will check when the new drive arrives.
I have looked at the partedmagic program. I don't understand the flags button. When do I need to use this, especially as it relates to sizing?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #25 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 5:53pm

I haven't used it since I wrote that tutorial and I can't remember what the flags button is about. I use BING.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #26 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 4:34pm

Well, I decided to experiment while waiting for the laptop hard drive to arrive. I used parted magic to shrink an 80g desktop hard drive with a single partitiion and no unallocated space. I went down to 36G. I defraged and then made a Ghost recovery point, so that the system would think there was a 36 G hard drive being cloned, and it seemed to think so by the labeling. I then expanded the drive back to 80G and confirmed full functionality. I then attempt to go thru the recovery process as if the 80G drive was recovering the 36G recovery point. My understanding was that this would be seen by G12 as a 36G partition holding 25G of data being expanded to an 80G drive. This should mean that the recovery process would show an expand option rather than it being greyed out. It did not. The expand option was not available. I did not complete the process to see what size would result since this was a simulation, but I am now completely confused as to how or when the expand volume works on G12. The reason this is a problem is I had hoped to shrink my recovery points so I could recover to a smaller drive if needed. Maybe that would still work, but the inability to select expand volume in this case makes me skeptical. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 4:44pm

rleescott,

I think you have to be restoring to unallocated space for this to work. You were attempting to restore to a partition. For it to work you would have to delete the 80 GB partition before restoring. This simulates restoring to a new blank HD.

If it doesn't work you can simply resize the restored 36 GB partition to 80 GB with Parted Magic.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #28 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 6:10pm

My test computer came in handy. Using Ghost 12, I restored an image to a large area of Unallocated Space. The "Resize restored drive" box was unticked by default and the MB value was greyed out. When I ticked the "Resize restored drive" box, the MB value became active and you can choose any size you like for the final partition size. Very nice.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #29 - Apr 10th, 2008 at 9:02am

Ok, I guess the proof will be when my new, unpartitioned drive arrives and I have the expand option. I will post back when I have the results, and it sound like it will be positive. But, also, you are convinced that my new recovery point created after reducing the 80G partitiion to 36G will be able to be transferred to a new or used drive larger than 36G but smaller than 80G, even if the recovery point was created from an 80G max capacity drive that was shrunk to 36G before the recovery point was created? This particular point is key for anyone who wants to recover to a smaller drive and use the large drive for something else.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print