Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
More questions concerning Ghost 2003 and marking drives (Read 50513 times)
voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Re: More questions concerning Ghost 2003 and marking drives
Reply #15 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 11:40am

That's interesting, Christer. As you may have read, at present my ext USB is marked but my new IDE/PATA 250GB drive isn't, and depending on whether the USB drive is on or not, I can/cannot see the PATA drive when I use a Bootdisk to boot into PC-DOS. I've been wondering whether to try marking the new PATA drive, either by letting PC-DOS do it or by doing it in the Windows environment, but Nigel Bree is emphatic that doing so will not cure my problem and will not miraculously make both my drives visible to Ghost.

Some time ago, when I installed the new drive and cloned it to the smaller one, that new drive would have automatically been marked (since it was a clone). The ext USB drive was also marked. And yet, as now, I couldn't see either the new drive's or ext drive's partitions, depending on whether the ext drive was switched on or not. So, on the face of it, marking the new drive now wouldn't make a scrap of difference. Under the original Win2k/WinXP dual-boot arrangement I ran, though, both the 80GB main (PATA) drive and the ext drive WERE marked and WERE both visible. So, for me, it's a matter of finding out what's changed that now prevents both being visible. Other than me running Ghost 2003 in WinXP now, rather than in Win2K, the only change I've made from the dual-bbot setup is replacing the 80GB drive by a 250GB version. My machine and BIOS do support large-size drives. The USB 2.0 drivers on my machine are exactly the same as before and are the latest.

Pure and simple logic suggests to me that marking might still be an influence in this. Possibly, the 'law of unintended consequences' applies. In my case, the ext drive's marking was performed originally by Ghost working under Win2K and essentially remains as that. But the current setup functions under WinXP, so one naturally asks the question 'Is there any reason why the current Ghost 2003 should know this?'. Put another way, the original parent Ghost program which marked the ext drive no longer exists. Maybe this leaves the ext drive out on a limb?

Christer, have you or have you not allowed both the main Ghost 2003 program and the Bootdisk to themselves assign driveletters? Conceivably, that's a factor in this problem.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #16 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 12:18pm

Quote:
Christer, have you or have you not allowed both the main Ghost 2003 program and the Bootdisk to themselves assign driveletters? Conceivably, that's a factor in this problem.

All my partitions are NTFS and they are not given drive letters in Ghost but numbers, such as 1:1, 1:2 for drive #1 (#0 in DOS) and 2:1, 2:2 for drive #2 (#1 in DOS).

Note that I always run Ghost from a set of floppies, created from within the installed Ghost (which I only use to create the floppies and for Ghost Explorer).

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #17 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 2:46pm

Hello again,
you did not use ubcd4win or Acronis 11 in previous link
so you love ghost so here is another free tip and link.

ghost 2003 is basically rubbish as it marks the drives  the corporate version of same software
ghost 7.5 and ghost 8 do not do that.
so get the corporate version of ghost 8 read the tips in link below how to get it

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=14127

read by 96,642

the conclusion: is that to make a bootable ghost floppy or bootable ghost CD  for  recovery you need to have the ghost.exe on the floppy or the bootable CD.
therefore the reverse is also true , that is if you got a ghost bootable recovery cd or floppy eg E-machine recovery CD

or Advent recovery CDS (that use ghost to recover the image) then you a can extract the ghost.exe from it.let it load then press Escape key then using simple DOS commands like DIR and copy *.* C:\temp
assuming your c:drive is fat32.
you get the complete files on the original bottale floppy including the ghost.exe

or simply use winimage or isobuster to extract the boot image including ghost.exe

as i said before if you have an e-machine or Advent machine that uses ghost on the recovery CD
you can extract the image with Winimage from the CD including Ghost.exe
or boot with the CD and when you get to the menu were it tells you do you want to
recover the operating system ?? say NO or press ESC key you get A: prompt or a flashing dash
then do a DIR and you will see ghost.exe and all other bootable files.
then put a new floppy in floppy drive
and type
COPY ghost.exe B:
and press enter this is because your RAM drive is A: and floppy becomes B:
so you get your Ghost .exe floppy
this ghost.exe is much better than the personal ones as it is enterprise version(more capabilities)

Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 6:10pm

Christer wrote on Sep 17th, 2008 at 6:02am:
I choose to not let Ghost 2003 mark it and it did not show up in the list of available disks

That's a different situation that what the original poster seems to be describing; if you get the prompt to mark the disk from the DOS-based Ghost, then the drive has been detected fine - if you choose not to mark it, it does drop the drive from the selection box. That's because you're choosing, in effect, not to agree to the EULA (there's simply no other reason not to mark the drives, after all - it's perfectly safe and harmless).

That's a different situation from one where you don't get such a prompt from the DOS-based code, and one or other disks just doesn't show up at all (which is what the original poster is describing). In that case, the problem lies much much deeper, and in the older editions from the 7.x series in particular (or with network adapters in the corporate edition, since those are the only external drivers which don't tend to understand IRQ sharing) it's most often an IRQ conflict.

In the 2.0 and above GSS we have a tool explicitly for this; https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=109&message.id=370 and in more recent editions that summary has proven so useful is a standard part of what we put into the GHOSTERR.TXT dump data. Note from the dump the customer supplied that the GX270 in particular has both a USB host controller *and* a NIC on the same legacy IRQ as the storage adapters.

Dealing with these IRQ issues is a problem because these BIOS assignments are temporary; when an ACPI-aware OS takes over, it reassigns all these (as with all the other PCI configuration resources) because it can use the additional IRQ lines numbered 16 and up from the IO-APIC. So, the IRQ assignments you see in Windows don't bear any relationship to the ones in effect in DOS, and without a tool to show you how the BIOS has actually laid out the PCI configuration (there's an ACPI data table for this) it's hard to know where things have ended up.

For USB in particular it's extremely complex because for instance when you have a BIOS that supports booting from USB, then the INT13 provider for it typically will be running in a polled mode, so whether or not you boot from a USB device can affect this too. And if you're using Ghost's built-in drivers entirely, then you're usually OK as well, because they use a convention for shared legacy IRQ handling defined by IBM originally for the Micro Channel bus in the PS/2. Conflicts are thus mainly a problem with third-party drivers; NIC drivers in the corporate edition or, in the case of Ghost 2003 before 793, the Iomega USB drivers.

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #19 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 6:05am

".............. if you get the prompt to mark the disk from the DOS-based Ghost, then the drive has been detected fine - if you choose not to mark it, it does drop the drive from the selection box. That's because you're choosing, in effect, not to agree to the EULA (there's simply no other reason not to mark the drives, after all - it's perfectly safe and harmless)".

Nigel,

That does, at least, put a different light on it. The warning message/buttons that you get when you first boot into PC-DOS, though, give the impression, rightly or wrongly, that agreeing to the marking is optional; the message includes a statement that non-marking is, in effect, acceptable for 'forensic-standard' imaging or recovery.

I bow to your superior knowledge of IRQs and how they might affect this situation. However, as I keep stating, before I changed the hard drive for a bigger one, there were no problems with Ghost. I'd been imaging and restoring and cloning (to keep as backup drive) literally for years. There is some sharing of IRQs on my PC but I've never, in all the years that I've had this machine (it's one I built myself, so I know it extremely well), had a single problem with IRQs or with any clashes.

The 'tryout' situation I had was when I simply cloned the original 80GB hard drive and its contents to the bigger 250GB drive, surplanting the former. Absolutely nothing else changed. I ran the tryout, it being dual-boot of Win2K and WinXP, for about a week and everything worked fine, EXCEPT that PC-DOS would refuse to show both drives. As now, it was 'either one or the other but not both'. In theory, there was no need to mark or re-mark that cloned drive, because presumably the original marking got automatically copied across during the cloning process. The ext USB drive, of course, remained completely unchanged. When I ran PC-DOS in that setup, I don't recall being invited to mark the drives, but I can't swear to that. If I was, then I would have agreed to it. However, the net result was still that one of the drives, either the main drive or the ext USB drive, was always inaccessible in PC-DOS.

I could find absolutely no other reason for the problem, so my only recourse was to re-install the 80GB drive. However, I did also want to dispense with my Win2K partition, which unfortunately was on the C partition, so I resigned to low-level formatting the 250GB drive and then re-installing my WinXP and all my apps manually, from absolute scratch. That included Ghost 2003 of course and, as I've earlier described, I managed eventually to update it to 793, the version I'd had before. This is the current setup, and there's no change in the problem - PC-DOS is still refusing to see BOTH the 250GB drive and the ext USB drive. However, I have yet to agree, in PC-DOS, to having the drives marked. Why? Well, simply because (a) the 'tryout' hadn't worked with marking, and (b) because, earlier in these postings, you gave me and others the impression that marking would have no impact at all on this recognition problem.

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #20 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:50am

Nigel,

I thought I'd bite the bullet and, in my current setup, finally allow my 250GB drive to be marked, and then see if that made any difference to this drive recognition problem. It didn't, but I have uncovered a clue, so perhaps you can help. The following is what I did.

I decided to try to make a backup as before, to the ext USB drive, but to first mark the main drive in the Windows environment, and then run the backup from that Windows environment. After marking Disk 1, Ghost allowed me to proceed to the subsequent steps. I made sure my options in Ghost were as required (including NOT allowing Ghost to assign driveletters) and the final step was reached where Ghost said it was about to boot to PC-DOS. However, at that point, Ghost flagged the following message:

"Unable to find a free MBR slot in the Virtual Partition DLL. This is usually due to there being no free primary partition slots left on the boot disk".

Of course, Ghost did not then proceed any further.

Having marked the drives (I'm not sure if Ghost will have overwritten or not the original ID on the ext USB drive), I thought it was worth trying to image in PC-DOS so, as normal, I booted into PC-DOS. It no longer asked me if I wished to mark the drives - fine. However, in PC-DOS, it's still not possible to see both drives - it's a case of either one drive or the other, but not both.

Now, I'm not sure what exactly Ghost means, in the context of virtual partitions, by "no free primary partition slots". In trying to do a backup, I was attempting to backup my root partition, on the main hard drive, to a reserved partition on the ext USB hard drive. My main hard drive is partitioned into four, all being Primary partitions. As far as I'm aware, that's not breaking any rules, as you're allowed up to four Primaries.

So, yes, it's true that there's currently no room for any more Primary partitions on my main hard drive. The ext USB drive has three primary partitions, BTW.

I do have around 500MB of unpartitioned space left on the main drive.

Can you tell me if I've broken a fundamental rule, here, and whether that might be the reason why I've had this drive recognition problem?

Despite it currently holding data, I could, if necessary, delete one of the Primary partitions on the main drive and re-form it into an Extended/Logical partition. That'd then mean that I'd have just three Primary partitions on that drive.

Incidentally, will I need to make a new Bootdisk?

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 5:27pm

voximan wrote on Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:50am:
As far as I'm aware, that's not breaking any rules, as you're allowed up to four Primaries.

Except that sometimes other things need them, as in this case, and then you've got no room as Ghost is telling you. Four primary partitions is legal, but since they are a scarce resource using all four of them is not a good idea.

Moreover, when creating an extended partition table, that extended partition table (a secondary copy of the MBR further down the disk) needs a primary partition slot to describe it. So, if you have any extended partitions, you are consuming one slot for that. That means a sensible partitioning arrangement needs to only use two classic primary partitions, and the rest in a linked chain of extended partitions.

The Ghost 2003 variation on the virtual partition system creates a temporary partition within the existing MBR on the boot drive, and that means it needs one of primary partition entries for that. More recent editions of Ghost (GSS2.5, specifically) temporarily replace the original MBR completely while entering the temporary cloning environment and so aren't subject to that limitation any more (however, replacing the MBR code in the drive was not a small step and not without its own attendant difficulties - like most of these things, it's not as easy as end users imagine).

voximan wrote on Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:50am:
Incidentally, will I need to make a new Bootdisk? 

If your existing boot disk isn't using build 793, then that would be useful. The most productive thing you can do (other than try using the -noide and -fni switches as suggested earlier) is use an edition that doesn't employ the Iomega guest drivers, but rather uses Ghost's built-in code. In that case you won't have anything on the USB disk appear as a drive letter in PC-DOS, but Ghost's built-in USB drivers will still allow Ghost to work with the disk; if the root source of the problems is an IRQ conflict, this may well help.

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #22 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 7:32am

Yes, you're right - I looked through my Ghost 2003 user's manual and at the bottom of p13 it says:

"One primary partition slot must be available in the MBR for the Virtual Partition".

It's been so many years since I had to consider that that I totally missed that point. In my original dual-boot setup (and actually also in the cloned 'tryout'), there were two Primaries (one each for Win2K and WinXP) and two Logicals. When I reinstalled WinXP from scratch, I changed that to four Primaries. It looks like I'll have to now change a couple of them to Extended/Logicals. I hope, however, that that won't mean that Ghost will then no longer recognise that the drive, as a whole, is marked.

This primary partition count is clearly a major cause of Ghost not functioning properly at the moment but I do suspect that, even when I correct that, I'll still have the ongoing problem. In the 'tryout', Ghost failed to recognise both the drives concurrently. All I can do is make the changes to the partition types and then keep my fingers crossed.

I do have a Bootdisk that I made on the original dual-boot setup, which was made in Ghost on Win2K (Build 793). That Bootdisk worked fine and always installed the Iomega drivers (as shown on the screen in the boot sequence). I also have a Build 775 Bootdisk, made under WinXP. I think that also includes Iomega drivers. And finally, I have a Build 789 Bootdisk made with WinXP, which unfortunately got effectively updated just recently when I tried using it on the Build 793 Ghost (in the boot sequence, it stopped and I had to write-enable the Bootdisk, to allow Ghost to write a further entry on it; I'm not sure what that was; maybe it was just a revised mouse driver that it was adding; I guess that that Bootdisk is now a Build 793 Bootdisk).

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #23 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 8:45am

Since my first experience with a PC (a self-built IBM XT-Clone) and MS-Dos 2.0, I've come up with a conclusion that's served me well, all these 28 years.
On any computer there are things that CAN be done, within the limitations of the hardware, but probably shouldn't be done.  That's where experience takes over from youthful exuberance. Wink

Sure, you can partition a HD into four partitions, buy why would you really need to?  The value of even just one extra partition is to have a place (like a closet) to store your "Stuff", away from your OS partition.

MS gave us a perfect way to further segregate files of different types within a partition.....it's called "Folders".
What a perfectly marvelous invention! Smiley

For many years I've been building PC's, and NEVER have I EVER set up a new hard drive without creating (just one) an extra partition, for Storage.
Within that second partition, you can set up folders to house files of different types.  
With just one HD, it's a great place to put Ghost Images of C:.
My own Partition #2 is indeed a very busy place. Wink

I keep seeing references to PC-DOS.  Wasn't that IBM's version of a DOS?
It never caught on, for, I'm sure, some very valid reasons.

When I got my first version of Ghost, it installed on my hard drive.
(sound familiar?)  Then it made for me, my first Ghost boot floppy.
Once I had used that floppy, I couldn't understand why or earth I'd ever want to run Ghost form within Windows, since it had to shell out to DOS anyway.  
I promptly removed the installed Ghost files from my HD, thus freeing up some valuable HD space.

I wanted to add some DOS programs to my Ghost boot disk and kept getting "Incorrect Dos Version" messages that just drove me crazy, till I realized that indeed, I was using the "Incorrect Dos Version" for my boot disk.  After some trial and error, and error, and error, I finally settled on a Windows ME boot disk as my home for Ghost.exe.

To overcome the 1.44meg space limitation of the standard floppy disk, I've moved everything to a 64meg flash drive.  With all the extra space, I've been able to add many helpful utilities, like NTFS4DOS and all the Windows ME Utilities, like FDISK, Format and Scandisk.
With "Nero 8" I can easily burn the contents of the flash drive to a CD, thus creating my own Custom Ghost Boot CD, complete with Ansi-Color Menu.  

Of course, to use a Flash Drive for this exercise, you need a motherboard modern enough to be able to boot from a Flash Drive. Roll Eyes
(NOT a minor detail!)  Roll Eyes
If not.....the Ghost Boot CD works just fine.

For compatibility with Windows Vista, I've recently changed to Ghost 11.5 on my boot disk.  Ghost 2003 was just getting too old.
It just gets betterer and betterer! Grin Grin

Long live Ghost and those really great guys who wrote it!

Cheers Mates!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #24 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 10:40am

Nigel,

I changed two of the Primary partitions back to Logical partitions. Although it now allows the Windows environment of Ghost to boot from Windows into PC-DOS, the latter hangs before presenting the usual PC-DOS menus. The switchout from Windows to PC-DOS is so rapid that I've not been able to read everything in the DOS script that comes up on screen. However, I HAVE been able to see that, in the first line, it says "Couldn't find drive with specified disk identification". Both the main drive and the ext USB drive are actually on, of course.

I made a brand new Bootdisk from this revised arrangement and tried booting from that. It detected the ext drive and installed the mouse driver but the next bit in the sequence, "Loading..", simply stopped. I then tried instead the 793 Bootdisk I made before. That booted me fully into PC-DOS but, there, I found exactly the same problem as I've had all along, these last few weeks - it sees one hard drive or the other but not both.

Can't see where I can go, from here. There's no feature in Ghost itself to RE-mark both hard drives, once they're marked; at present, Ghost in one way is indicating that both drives are marked, and yet, in that DOS preamble, it said "Couldn't find drive with specified disk identification". Am not sure to WHICH drive it's referring.

My gut feeling is that this problem has come about by the ext drive having been marked under Win2K, whereas the main hard drive has been marked under WinXP, or possibly that Ghost simply gets confused by the fact that the main hard drive is identical to the ext USB drive (though their partitioning is quite different) and, for some unknown reason, decides to just display in PC-DOS the ext USB drive (when it's on).

An earlier posting from someone suggested that I use that Roadkil utility to remove the drive IDs, if need be, but there are clearly distinct dangers in using a third-party uitility that modifies one of the boot sectors. If it failed to do the job, I could end up with losing absolutely everything.

BTW, I now see a 26MB VIRTPART.DAT folder in the WinXP root partition.  

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 9:12pm

voximan wrote on Sep 19th, 2008 at 10:40am:
Can't see where I can go, from here

The most important thing to try is to see when happens when you start Ghost (either from your boot disk or via the Windows interface) using the -fni switch, to direct Ghost to prefer using the system BIOS over its built-in IDE drivers. This was the first thing suggested in this thread, and it's still the most important thing.

voximan wrote on Sep 19th, 2008 at 10:40am:
in that DOS preamble, it said "Couldn't find drive with specified disk identification"

That's because the drive marking is relevant only to discriminate which drive is targeted by an operation initiated from the Windows interface, and what I've been saying all along is that the failure is elsewhere.

Ghost is structured much as any student of the art/science of software construction would expect it to be, in the same layered manner as an operating system:
- At the bottom there is a device layer, which deals with things like Firewire and USB and IDE and such (and a fallback to the system BIOS).
- Above that is a layer which interprets disks and disk partitioning schemes (MBR, GPT, Dynamic Disk, EFI) into volumes.
- Above that is a layer which interprets the contents of those volumes as filesystems (FAT, NTFS, ext2/3, etc.)
- Above that is a layer which looks at the contents of files in those filesystems, such as BOOT.INI or the files making up the Windows registry.

All the above occupies the vast bulk of the code; above that is the thin veneer of user interface, the GUI and the textual processing for the command-line control. The code to look for the disk GUID you select in the Windows user interface is a tiny part of that outer veneer, not any part of the core "operating system" in Ghost, and the failures to detect your disks exist in the behaviour of the low-level layers.

The -fni (or -noide) and related switches are what matters rather than the drive marks because they are the things that direct the initialization behaviour of the low-level disk layers - those lower layers of Ghost aren't finding your disk at all, and that's making things go wrong long before the drive marking comes into play (and what are stopping that code finding a disk with the indicated mark, as the error you now have is saying).

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #26 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 10:18am

Point taken, Nigel, but I just find it strange that Ghost (Windows) sees both drives, before jumping into PC-DOS and then PC-DOS hanging. It's also mighty odd, I'm sure you'll agree, that when I now use a Bootdisk to get into PC-DOS, the latter always recognises the ext drive and not the main drive also, but if I switch off the ext drive, PC-DOS DOES see the main drive. The two drives are identical, as far as overall capacity is concerned. They otherwise differ principally in that one's an internal IDE PATA, but the other is a USB-connected PATA drive.

Since last posting, I've deleted all partitions on the ext drive and then reconstructed them but that's not made a scrap of difference. I've also tried setting the Extended Int13h switch in PC-DOS, in case that's how my BIOS now treats the main drive, but again that made no difference.

I'll try, if I can, the fni or noide switch but I can't see that there's any changed aspect of the new setup of mine that would warrant it. The only set option in PC-DOS in the very original setup of mine was Autoname, and even that was set by default. The major thing that's now different to the original setup is that the capacity of the main drive is bigger (OK, I'm using WinXP now, instead of Win2K, but the evidence suggests that the OS is not a factor in this problem).

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #27 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 1:53pm

Nigel,

I've now specifically tried the fni switch, doing it within PC-DOS Options. This is with both main drive on and ext drive on. This time, the main drive showed, ie. the source drive and its partitions. However, when I passed to the next step, 'File Name to Copy To', only that main drive's partitions were displayed, not the ext drive's partitions. By 'displayed', I mean 'available in the dropdown menu'. So, it's still a case of 'one or the other but not both'.

I've a log file, taken from Ghost, of the attempts I made earlier today to get it all to work and will post it here later. Maybe you'll be able to spot something in it that'll give a clue as to what's wrong.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:41pm

All the most important log information is in the GHOSTERR.TXT file written by Ghost; if you start Ghost and hit control-C when it's running, that's the easiest way to force it to generate such a file. Do that with -fni, save it, and generate another one without it, so it's possible to compare the two.

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #29 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 4:29pm

During normal operation of Windows, access to the main hard drive is IDE, of course. So, what's the default access in Ghost, then? There's no mention of another access mode, in the manual's description of the switches - it's either IDE access on or IDE access off. The only other hard drive access I know of is PIO, ie. via the CPU.

BTW, when you advise to hit Cntrl C after startup of Ghost, do you mean Windows environment of Ghost or PC-DOS version of Ghost? I can't get anywhere at all with running from the Windows environment, in as much as as soon as PC-DOS starts, it hangs. It's different if I boot straight into PC-DOS, in that I can at least then use its menus.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print