Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Physical placement of the partitions (Read 31938 times)
F u r u y a
Dude

I Love Radified!

São Paulo

Physical placement of the partitions
Jan 31st, 2009 at 1:07pm

Hi,

Consider the picture below. It represents an hypothetical physical placement of the partitions in a platter of a hard disk.

And my question is:
Is this the real placement that occurs with any modern hard drive?

In other words:
  • Will the low order partitions be outer in the platter no matter if they are primary, extended or logical drives (like in the picture)?
  • Or this rule applies only to primary and extended (the logical drives will be all mixed under the portion of its extended partition)?
  • Or else?

I'm planing to partition my hard drives (one of 80GB and other of 250GB) and is crucial for me to know that.

Other quick-to-answer doubts:
  • 1. Windows swap file can be put in a logical drive?
  • 2. If I have two primary partitions in a hard drive, will I be able to use the other primary (under Windows XP) if:
    - it is another Windows XP
    - it is Linux OS
  • 3. In Linux is mandatory to have a partion for the swap file? It can be put in a logical drive?

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: Physical placement of the partitions
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 3:41pm

F u r u y a wrote on Jan 31st, 2009 at 1:07pm:
In other words:

* Will the low order partitions be outer in the platter no matter if they are primary, extended or logical drives (like in the picture)?
* Or this rule applies only to primary and extended (the logical drives will be all mixed under the portion of its extended partition)?
* Or else?

If you are starting from a clean drive, the first partitions you make will be placed on the outside of the drive.  Subsequent partitions will be placed further and further in.  It doesn't matter what type of partition it is.  However, if you are not starting from a clean drive, you can't assume lower 'numbered' or 'lettered' partitions are necessarily on the outside.  Your partitioning tools should be able to give you some sort of indication of where your partition is at on the drive.

Note that most of us here on this forum have decided that there is very little percievable performance differene between inner and outer partitions.  I think that this is likely true because most of your performance is based on seek times, rather than read times.

Also note that you can only have one extended partition.  You cannot have two, as in your diagram.

F u r u y a wrote on Jan 31st, 2009 at 1:07pm:
Other quick-to-answer doubts:

* 1. Windows swap file can be put in a logical drive?
* 2. If I have two primary partitions in a hard drive, will I be able to use the other primary (under Windows XP) if:
- it is another Windows XP
- it is Linux OS
* 3. In Linux is mandatory to have a partion for the swap file? It can be put in a logical drive?

1. Yes.  Just make sure the Windows 'system' partition is on a primary partition.   Windows stores some files it uses to boot up on the system partition, and these files must be on a primary partition.  Note that this is just the 'system' partition.  The 'boot' partition contains the actual OS and can be on an extended partition.  They can also be the same partition if that partition is primary.  

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314470

Sorry that's a little confusing, but I didn't come up with the scheme...

2. I think you are asking if you will be able to read the data on a different partition if there is another OS installed on it.  The answer depends on the filesystem on the drive.  If you have WinXP on it and formatted it with NTFS or FAT, then you will be able to read/write to it.  If it has Linux on it and you formatted it with FAT/FAT32, then you will be able to read/write to it.  If it has Linux and you format it with EXT2/3/4 or RiserFS or many of the other Linux filesystems, then no, Windows is not able to read those easily.

3. It is not mandatory to have a partition for the swap file.  It is just a file and can go anywhere.  It is nice to have it on its own partition so that it is guarenteed not to get fragmented.  That partition can be logical.

I assume you've read Rad's guide, but from some of the questions you asked I'm not sure if that's a good assumption.  It has tons of great information and will probably clear some things up for you:
http://partition.radified.com/

IP Logged

F u r u y a
Dude

I Love Radified!

São Paulo

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 6:17pm

Yes, I read the entire partition guide before posting (so I apologize if I missed some informations Embarrassed).

I'm planing to partition my HDD's using FDISK and the drive is not clean (actually is quite full). In this case, as I create the partitions they will be placed from outer to inner regions (as the picture shows)?
PS: I've just read about the *one* extended partion per disk in the FDISK guide Smiley .

I've just read that 314470 article. If the answer won't be too big for you to write here, would you tell me why and how to separte the boot volume from the system volume? I'm curious now :]

Thank you very much for the detailed response, MrMagoo!

PS: The forum are saying I'm a spammer but I was just clicking "Refresh Preview"! Sad

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 8:12pm

F u r u y a wrote on Jan 31st, 2009 at 6:17pm:
I'm planing to partition my HDD's using FDISK and the drive is not clean (actually is quite full). In this case, as I create the partitions they will be placed from outer to inner regions (as the picture shows)?

If you leave the existing partitions on there, then where your new partitions end up will depend on where the current partitions are and how big the new partition is going to be.  I think by default, FDISK tries to put the new partition in the free space that is closest to the outer edge and is big enough to hold the new partition.  Does that make sense?  Many other partition tools behave similarly.  

If there is anyway you can back up the data in the existing partitions to another disk while you repartition this one, that will allow you to remove all the partitions currently there and start from scratch.  While not mandatory, it will give you much more flexibility in where you create the new partitions.

F u r u y a wrote on Jan 31st, 2009 at 6:17pm:
If the answer won't be too big for you to write here, would you tell me why and how to separte the boot volume from the system volume? I'm curious now :]

Its easy to do, you just have to set your partitions up ahead of time.  The WinXP installer tries really hard to automate the process, so you don't have much control over it.  The boot partition is wherever you tell the installer to install WinXP to.  If that is on a logical partition, then the installer will use the first available primary partition with either a FAT/NTFS file system as the system partition.  I don't think it has to be the first partition, but it does have to be primary.  If your boot partition is a primary partition, I don't think it will use a seperate system partition, as its not needed.

If you don't have a either a FAT16/32 or NTFS primary partition available for the installer to use as a system partition, it will complain and refuse to install.

Note that the system partition doesn't have to be dedicated to the 'system' files.  The system files take up very little space (< 100 MB).  You can make the partition very small if you want.  If the partition is bigger than that, you can still use the space to store other files - videos, songs, documents, whatever.  Just make sure you don't destroy that partition later or Windows will not be able to boot.

That's how I remember it.  Maybe someone who has actually studied the details of the WinXP install could clarify for me.

I hope that is understandable.  I feel like it could be explained more clearly but I can't find the right words.

IP Logged

F u r u y a
Dude

I Love Radified!

São Paulo

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 10:19pm

Sorry I forgot to say that! I will back up the files to other HDD* (a friend got some free space in a 1TB HDD) and I'll remove all partitions prior to creating them. Now, in this case (here we go again), as I create the partitions they will be placed from outer to inner regions (as the picture shows)?

About the system/boot volumes, I wouldn't worry about the explanation because it was prety clear for me Smiley . The only thing I'm still curious about is why one would like to use separate partitions for system/boot volumes if he do have the choice of either doing or not doing that (my case).

Actually it's a long history... to resume, my HDD was re-partioned with all my data in it and I will try to recover my files using GetDataBack (is this program 'Ok' to do that?). If there is plenty of space available in my friend's HDD I will make an image of the HDD first. Then, after the recover attempt, I will delete all partitions and create a new partitioning scheme (which is the reason I'm here bothering you guys Grin).

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 10:31pm

F u r u y a,

With partitioning software (not Microsoft) you can be flexible and put the WinXP partition at the end of the HD if you like. But you wouldn't.

Have a look at the WinXP videos at this site. Especially "Installing Windows XP to its own primary partition". It helps you understand the background of a WinXP installation.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation-tutorials.htm

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 11:30pm

fwiw, i've never heard of a drive with more than 1 extended partition .. like the 1 indicated by your graphic at the top .. so 'no,' in that respect, i wouldn' say that is normal.

IP Logged

F u r u y a
Dude

I Love Radified!

São Paulo

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 4:41pm

Thx for your reply Brian and Rad.

@Brian
I'll partition using FDISK because I'll first remove all partitions prior to creating them. Sry but I can't see the movie (I tried VLC but still the movie didn't work here in my old K6-II with Win98SE).

@Rad
Yes, I just realize that after MrMagoo message and FDISK guide. :]

I know that's a lot of things to answer so I will quote just the principal question:
Quote:
I will back up the files to other HDD* (a friend got some free space in a 1TB HDD) and I'll remove all partitions prior to creating them. Now, in this case (here we go again), as I create the partitions with FDISK they will be placed from outer to inner regions (as the picture shows)?

Just another question:
  • A WinXP.Pro.SP2 installation CD will recognize my 250GB HDD entirely will all the partitions I created with FDISK? Or it will recognize only 128GB as happens under WinXP environment without SP2?

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 5:31pm

Quote:
Note that most of us here on this forum have decided that there is very little perceivable performance difference between inner and outer partitions.  I think that this is likely true because most of your performance is based on seek times, rather than read times.

With respect to performance, there is a consideration regarding the placement of files within a partition.  The I-FASST technology by Diskeeper, for example, provides this functionality and may deliver a 10%-20% speed enhancement.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 6:36pm

Yeah Pleo, that's because these days all hard drives are zoned; the difference is there and measurable for all of them, provided that the interface to the drive is fast enough to avoid being a bottleneck, which it generally wasn't pre-SATA.

The fact that SATA has made the presence of zoning visible in synthetic benchmarks to more people doesn't mean it's worth worrying about in practice though. In real use for filesystems it's so far down the list of performance factors it's a total non-issue.

IP Logged

F u r u y a
Dude

I Love Radified!

São Paulo

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:57pm

Guys, I don't wanna to rush you, but my friend who owns 1TB+ of storage said that he will be available next wednesday, so I would appreciate if anyone could answer those two questions:

Quote:
1. I will back-up the files of my HDD's into other HDD
2. I'll remove all partitions
3. I'll create the partitions

In this case, as I create the partitions with FDISK will they be placed from outer to inner regions and will that apply to the logical drives as well (like in the picture)?

Quote:
After booting from a WinXP.Pro.SP2 installation CD, will the installation recognize my 250GB HDD entirely will all the partitions I created with FDISK? Or it will recognize only 128GB as happens under WinXP environment without SP2 and with standart WinXP.Pro installation CD?

And thanks for the information, Pleonasm.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 12:57am

F u r u y a wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:57pm:
In this case, as I create the partitions with FDISK will they be placed from outer to inner regions and will that apply to the logical drives as well (like in the picture)?  

MrMagoo wrote on Jan 31st, 2009 at 3:41pm:
If you are starting from a clean drive, the first partitions you make will be placed on the outside of the drive.Subsequent partitions will be placed further and further in.

F u r u y a wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:57pm:
After booting from a WinXP.Pro.SP2 installation CD, will the installation recognize my 250GB HDD entirely will all the partitions I created with FDISK? Or it will recognize only 128GB as happens under WinXP environment without SP2 and with standart WinXP.Pro installation CD?  

I haven't had this issue with my WinXP installations.  I think it depends on your BIOS, not Windows.  My large drives (200GB+) are always recognized.  Maybe I slipstreamed in some magic a long time ago I've forgotten, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

IP Logged

F u r u y a
Dude

I Love Radified!

São Paulo

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 1:32am

I asked again about the placement because I thought you meant that that was true only for partitions (and not for logical drives). So if the logical drives will too follow the order 'outer to inner', now I have *peace of mind* (excuse-me mr. Rad for stoling your expression Smiley )

I took a look now in the manual of my mobo (EPoX 8RDA+) and I couldn't find anywhere saying about HDD limitation. But today I'll get the WinXP.Pro.SP2 CD and I'll boot it to see if this time it recognizes my 250GB HDD.

Thanks again MrMagoo.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 2:04am

Quote:
In real use for filesystems it's so far down the list of performance factors it's a total non-issue.  

Nigel,

I'm a bit confused about zoned HDs. Does this mean it doesn't matter (speed wise) if you have the OS partition at the "end" of the HD as opposed to the "start" of the HD?

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 4:03am

Brian wrote on Feb 2nd, 2009 at 2:04am:
Does this mean it doesn't matter (speed wise) if you have the OS partition at the "end" of the HD as opposed to the "start" of the HD? 

In practice, not really, because there are almost no circumstances at all where you're a) doing really large sequential reads, in a situation where b) the reading is transfer-bound, for the difference in transfer speed between zones to make any real difference. Programs are page-faulted in, not sequentially loaded, for instance, so program startup is a situation almost never bound by sequential transfer speed. And in almost every kind of normal situation where a program is reading a really big file it's doing something with the data - so it tends not to be transfer-bound either.

Sustained transfer speed used to matter once upon a time - we're talking 10+ years ago - because the sustained write performance you got with commodity gear couldn't meet some critical criteria. For instance, when I was first getting into DV video it was a pain with regular PCs to be able to maintain sustained transfers off DV tape to hard disk without getting glitches (so you raid-0 striped your video storage, and such like). These days, the vast and consistent year-on-year increase in areal density and drive interfaces (and thus transfer rates) mean that even a cheap-ass 5400rpm laptop drive can do that kind of thing now.

Get one of today's insanely huge disks, format it with one NTFS partition, and just relax and get on whatever you want to actually DO with the computer. That plus virtual machines if you need 'em = maximum flexibility, lowest maintenance, and no stress. Life's too short to waste.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print