Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Physical placement of the partitions (Read 31934 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Physical placement of the partitions
Reply #15 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 8:46am

Quote:
In real use for filesystems it's so far down the list of performance factors it's a total non-issue.

Empirically, my experience contradicts this assertion. On a Windows XP system, I found a noticeable and nice 18% advantage delivered by the wise placement of files on the operating partition by Diskeeper’s I-FASST.

In fairness, I should note that some users of I-FASST have not been so fortunate.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #16 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 11:09pm

Quote:
Get one of today's insanely huge disks, format it with one NTFS partition, and just relax and get on whatever you want to actually DO with the computer. That plus virtual machines if you need 'em = maximum flexibility, lowest maintenance, and no stress. Life's too short to waste.  

For sure.  I'm with Nigel on this one.

Pleonasm wrote on Feb 2nd, 2009 at 8:46am:
Empirically, my experience contradicts this assertion. On a Windows XP system, I found a noticeable and nice 18% advantage delivered by the wise placement of files on the operating partition by Diskeeper’s I-FASST.

I think that most benchmarks would agree with you.  But, Nigel isn't talking about how HD benchmarks work, he's talking about the way programs you use every day interact with your hard drive.  Despite improved benchmarks, most people don't notice a worthwhile speed improvement in everyday tasks by moving data to faster parts of the disk.  

Although, on F u r u y a's behalf, it seems he is a little new to all of this, and the knowledge he is gaining from the experience may be worth the trouble, no matter if he sees a speed improvement or not.  

IP Logged

F u r u y a
Dude

I Love Radified!

São Paulo

Reply #17 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 5:22am

Good news, I'm with the WinXP.Pro.SP2 CD and it did recognize the entire space of the 250GB HDD.

Nice discussion about the placement. I do some video encoding (which deals with large files, 2GB+), so maybe would be a better ideia to use the outer partition to do this instead of O/S?

I suppose I will get some perceivable improvement if I use the outer partition of both HDDs to do that: reading source video from one HDD and writing the encoded video to the other HDD (assuming little fragmentation). Actually I always did that (using both HDDs to encode videos), but I never worried about using the outer partitions.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 3:59pm

F u r u y a wrote on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 5:22am:
I do some video encoding [...]so maybe would be a better ideia to use the outer partition to do this instead of O/S?

It's an incredibly bad idea to partition these disks at all, and the location of the files on the disk is almost certain to be completely immaterial on a task like video re-encoding for files in consumer size ranges; for that performance is typically dominated by the activity of the video codecs, not I/O throughput (in professional situations to address the real difficulty with genuinely large raw HD video - in the 100Gb+ range - of moving around that data, things like FiberChannel-based shared storage get used).

The innermost - the slowest - zones of a 2008-vintage 1Tb drive should be delivering around 60Mb/s of sustained read throughput, a speed that would have been considered exceptional for the outermost zones of a drive from 4 years ago, and the 2009 models due out shortly from WD and Seagate should have even higher sustained transfer speeds across the board.

Since this is a consumer and not a professional situation the only task you'll every do in which the sustained throughput performance will matter is copying those files around, and by excessive over-partitioning in pursuit of tiny micro-optimizations the more of that you'll force yourself to do - so you end up spending all your time manually shuffling data instead, which will cost you more than any gain you think you might get from second-guessing drive performance. It's a penny-wise, pound-foolish approach.

IP Logged

F u r u y a
Dude

I Love Radified!

São Paulo

Reply #19 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 10:17pm

Alright, you convinced me.

I was reading about changing cluster size. I have about 100GB+ of video files (average 800MB each file I guess). It's worth making a partition with an increased cluster size for those videos? If yes, what would be a good size?

ATM my plan is:
The list below should be read as:
*Placement*: *type of data* [*Number of primary partitions or logical drives*]

• Outermost: O/S and swapfile [two primaries]
  • Second outermost: Games and Applications [two logical drives]
  • Rest: Movies, Images, Temporary (for video-encoding), Installation files of applications, Personal data (including music). [to be defined]

There are two primaries and two extended, one of each in each HDD.

Please feel free to suggest modifications. I'll do the all the things (backup/partitions/restore) at my friend's place today from 20GMT.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 12:59am

F u r u y a wrote on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 10:17pm:
Alright, you convinced me

My aim is not to convince; merely making sure that baseline accurate information is at least presented once by someone.

[ It may be on occasion that it is reasonable to do something different, but it needs to be done on the basis of measurement and analysis; such measurements should be considered highly contingent on the context in which they are taken, and not extrapolated to other contexts without appropriate care. ]

F u r u y a wrote on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 10:17pm:
It's worth making a partition with an increased cluster size for those videos?

It is basically never appropriate to vary the NTFS "cluster size", because NTFS works on an extent basis like all high-end filesystems do.

Cluster size in NTFS only comes into play after you have stressed a filesystem by letting it become excessively over-fragmented (which is almost always due to letting it reach a critical load factor; yet another one of the negative things made more likely by over-partitioning). Under normal circumstances a properly sized NTFS partition would not benefit at all from defragmenting more than once every six months, tops.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 1:36am

Quote:
Under normal circumstances a properly sized NTFS partition would not benefit at all from defragmenting more than once every six months

What minimum partition size fits into this category? And at what percentage of free space in the partition? That's a very interesting comment.

IP Logged

F u r u y a
Dude

I Love Radified!

São Paulo

Reply #22 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 12:21pm

Nigel Bree, thanks for the accurate informations. I understand your point.

Ok, so I won't change cluster size. Althought the Movie Partition are not likely to be fragmented (because of very little moving/writing files; it's basicaly read-only storage and few writing of large files).

IP Logged

F u r u y a
Dude

I Love Radified!

São Paulo

Reply #23 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 1:54pm

My set up is finally defined:

:: 80GB ::
  • Primary
    • - O/S
  • Extended
    • 1. Applications
    • 2. Temporary for video-encoding + video-encoding Applications
    • 3. Images

:: 250GB ::
  • Primary
    • - Swap
  • Extended
    • 1. Games
    • ?. Personal data + Music
    • ?. Movies
I created one primary in each HDD in case of one of them fails, so I'll need a primary in the other HDD in order to install the O/S.

My last doubt is the order of the last two Logical Drives of the 250GB HDD. Some of the movies I'll use as source for video-encoding. Should I put it before the Personal data? Or I let all those large files in the end of the HDD? Or it doesn't matter at all?

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 2:37pm

Brian wrote on Feb 4th, 2009 at 1:36am:
And at what percentage of free space in the partition? 

That's one of the two critical factors, because the higher the load factor in the partition the more constrained the filesystem is in choosing where to place things. For pretty much any filesystem, from 80% upwards fragmentation becomes basically inevitable and the longer things stay at those higher load factors the worse and worse it gets. That's an inevitable mathematical result, as I've explained in the past; it's a packing problem - i.e., NP hard, but made in effect impossible because the packer - the OS - is presented with items in no particular order and they can change size after being placed. More free space headroom means less likelihood of the OS initially placing things such that a later change can't be accomodated by extending the object in-place.

[ Of course, things like System Restore can cause problems by driving what appears to be a safely sized disk - relative to the actual data in use - into being critically full. Having System Restore on is the right default for consumers; its space consumption can have negative performance impacts, though. ]

The other critical factor is usage and application behaviour; the number of files being written (which the filesystem has to choose places for), and how the applications write them. The Windows OS (like most others) has APIs which allow applications to indicate how big a new file will become, so it can efficiently allocate the necessary space in a single contiguous extent; applications that don't use them (which is most of them) force the OS to make guesses when choosing where to place things, so things work less well, and in rare cases there are pathological application behaviours which defeat the OS heuristics and trick it into placing things poorly (forcing fragmentation even on a modestly loaded disk). These aren't problems in the OS, they are problems with badly-written applications.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 10:44pm

By the way, that 80% figure is a very very rough approximation. In reality, there are ways to analytically model load that come up with more satisfying formulas about the free space goals, but they are ... complicated. A simple figure like 20% has the disadvantage that it doesn't attempt to capture the damage done by partitioning; at most one filesystem per disk is the goal to aim for! However, it has the signal advantage that it's both simple enough to apply generally, and captures an important behavioural scaling observation - if folks have more space, they store *bigger* files in addition to more of them, changing the distribution of file sizes and thus ... well, you hopefully get the idea.

A larger absolute amount of free space is better, and fewer partitions (so that all the free space on the disk can play a useful role) is also better.

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #26 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:24am

Quote:
A larger absolute amount of free space is better, and fewer partitions (so that all the free space on the disk can play a useful role) is also better.

I agree. At one time I had multiple partitions for different files say... documents and pictures, videos, music, ghost images. I soon found that some were filling up while I still had lots of space on others. I have found that using one large partition for all data storage on a disk and seperating using folders is much easier. The only seperate partition I utilise is for the operating system. Though this is all for storage concerns and not performace.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

ml3
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #27 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 12:11am

Quote:
Get one of today's insanely huge disks, format it with one NTFS partition, and just relax and get on whatever you want to actually DO with the computer. That plus virtual machines if you need 'em = maximum flexibility, lowest maintenance, and no stress. Life's too short to waste.  

Hi Folks,

This is my first post. Very helpful site! I initially arrived because of the partitioning info, but Nigel's comment suggests there's been a change in thinking? Am I correct that you no longer feel partitioning is necessary or advisable? (Incidentally, Nigel, when you say "one NTFS partition," I assume you mean just use the disk as is, with no partitions? Or do you actually mean one partition (two volumes), to keep the OS separate?)

I'm about to buy a PC, and the sales guy suggested, instead of partitioning, using two HDs--one for the OS and apps and the other for data. I don't have anywhere near 160GB of apps and data, so I'm wondering if it might be more practical to put everything on one disk and image it periodically to the other, so that when the main HD eventually dies, I can run off the second one?

Thanks for your help!

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 8:39pm

ml3 wrote on Feb 12th, 2009 at 12:11am:
you no longer feel partitioning is necessary or advisable

I wouldn't say my view is the consensus at all; it's more a matter of how you want to deal with your computer, and deciding whether the negatives of partitioning outweigh the benefits. Just bear those negatives in mind, that's all, and consider that maybe some of the positives aren't as compelling as they used to be - bearing especially in mind how technology has changed, so that most people now buy laptops with only a single drive bay, for instance, and how easy it is to get enormous external drives we can walk around (unlike the hideous, unreliable optical media most folks were using for backups before), and how drives have gotten smarter and better at handling errors even as they have gotten bigger and faster and cheaper.

And other changes: software has gotten better too; FAT32 is a fading memory on most systems (which is a good thing) and NTFS is incredibly robust. Windows XPSP2 and above are in practice incredibly reliable compared to any version of Win9X that ever was, so it's actually extremely rare for people's OS to simply eat itself and leave an unbootable mess the way Win9X used to. Backup speeds really mattered when Rad was writing his guide, when you had to sit and wait in front of the machine to change media or take the machine offline while it was going on. Now, with external drives and with volume snapshot giving online backups while you keep using the machine, it's less compelling to micromanage that stuff.

The other thing you need to do in chopping up your disk is that you suddenly need to classify all this stuff to figure out where it goes. Now, that's fine if you have, for instance, a clear set of categories in mind for everything so you can figure out where they ought to go in terms of "these don't need to be backed up, this does". Figuring out those kinds of things for everything you put into your computer is, realistically, a lot of work, and the question is, is it worth doing that work?

For me, the answer is a clear no.

Or do you actually mean one partition (two volumes), to keep the OS separate?

I don't keep the OS separate either - haven't done in years.

I'm wondering if it might be more practical to put everything on one disk and image it periodically to the other, so that when the main HD eventually dies, I can run off the second one?

It's a absolutely fine idea to have a second disk to store your backups of the primary onto. Really, really good.

That said though, there's less to separate internal and external hard disks nowadays - a good drive in a quality eSATA/FireWire800/USB2 external enclosure is going to be just as quick as an internal one if you can use eSATA or Firewire800 - and to be able to just pick up and keep running when the primary drive fails is hard unless you just RAID-1 them - unless you think about having a system where you can mount and run the backup in a virtual machine if you had to, which is a *great* place to be in but again requires some planning.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #29 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 8:43pm

Partitioning was useful and necessary 10 or 15 years ago.  Modern file systems can address tens of terabytes at a minimum, so size isn't an issue, like it used to be.  There also used to be a thinking that partitions toward the outside of the disk made those partitions faster.  As  you can see in this thread, there is a majority consensus that this is also not a factor these days.

Now, that isn't to say that it is not good to partition.  There are good reasons to do it.  For example, I like to make a small (say 1GB) partition just for my page file.  This is to ensure the page file never gets fragmented.  As another example, the OpenBSD install guide suggests using several specific partitions for security reasons.

I would say for most Windows home users, it is best to use 3 or less partitions.  Normally, 1 partition will serve you just fine and does provide the most flexibility.

Your idea of using your second physical hard drive for images has a lot of merit, and is, in fact, recommended on various guides on this site.  That way, if your main HD dies, you still have access to your backups.  You might even consider putting the second HD in an external USB enclosure.  The advantage is that you can power off the second HD when you are not using it to make/restore a backup, saving both electricity and wear on the drive.

Have fun and let us know if you have any other questions.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print