Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
external (desktop) hard drive (Read 49700 times)
blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

external (desktop) hard drive
Aug 23rd, 2009 at 7:12am

Hi,
   I have bought a 1TB external hard drive for external storage. I have the latest version of Ghost 2003 but it doesn't recognize the hard drive when I connect the later via USB to my computer. I don't see any letter assigned to the 1TB hard drive by NG. Is it because the size 1TB is too large for NG2003 to recognize?

I have been able to use a USB memory stick before to store images and clone back successfully with NG2003.

Thanks a lot
Shailesh

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: external (desktop) hard drive
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 8:58am

@
blackeagle

Are you using Ghost from a DOS boot floppy disc or optical disc--or are you using the Windows Ghost interface when booted to Windows?

Ghost 2003 will require a DOS USB storage device driver that loads during the boot up to DOS and is able to *see* the USB HDD--so it's not Ghost that assigns the drive letter--it's the DOS USB storage device driver that has to be able to *see* the USB HDD and assign the drive letter.

Quote:
Is it because the size 1TB is too large for NG2003 to recognize?

Could be!  Not all USB storage devices are *equal*--the DOS USB driver may or may not be compatible--what brand is the external USB device?

Quote:
I have been able to use a USB memory stick before to store images and clone back successfully with NG2003.

What type of DOS device drivers are you using here?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 11:15pm

Hi,
   Thanks. I'm using NG03 from an optical disk. I have tried also my original DOS boot floppy, but it gives me similar results. I made the bootable optical disk (CD-ROM) from my DOS boot floppy almost a year ago.

The brand of my external device is Iomega. It's the Iomega Prestige Desktop Hard Drive 1TB. It's a high-spedd USB 2.0 device. You can see some information here:

http://go.iomega.com/en/products/external-hard-drive-desktop/prestige-amp-profes...

Sorry, but I don't know what to answer you for the last question about which DOS Drivers that I'm using.  It's the DOS that comes with NG03---PC DOS I think. Can you please explain in a little more detail?

Thanks a lot

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2009 at 9:57am

Have you tried different USB ports?  A friend has a Dell laptop that Ghost won't recognize external USB drive connected to one USB port when Ghost is run from boot CD, but it will recognize it when connected to the other USB port.

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2009 at 1:27pm

Hi, Thanks. My machine is a HP 8710w mobile workstation (a laptop) and I have it over a year now. It has 6 USB ports and I tried what you suggested but still no port would recognize the Iomega external drive.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 9:31am

@
blackeagle

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't know what to answer you for the last question about which DOS Drivers that I'm using.  It's the DOS that comes with NG03---PC DOS I think. Can you please explain in a little more detail?

Did you use the Ghost 2003 Boot Wizard to create your boot floppy?

Did you put a *check mark* in the box to add USB 2.0 support to the floppy disk?  If you did, then you should have ended up with a *two disk boot set*--i.e. two floppy disks in order to boot to DOS and load Ghost.  The first disk has the DOS boot files, and the second disk has the *ghost.exe* program on it to load after booting to DOS.  If you add USB support--then the total number of files and their sizes will not fit on a single 1.44 MB floppy disk.

If you have a *two disk boot set*--then you have to do some *fancy foot work* to create a functional optical boot disc--because using just a default standard boot routine on an optical disc can only have a single 1.44 MB floppy disk size for the hidden optical boot sector!

Quote:

My suspicion is that your answers to the above questions will be *No--you do not have a *two floppy boot set**--if that's true, then you probably do not have a DOS USB driver for HDD's being loaded by the boot disk or disc--and access to the USB memory stick must have been provided by your system's BIOS--and your system may not be able to provide access to a USB HDD even though it might provide access to a flash drive--there's lots of variability out there on what different BIOS's can do with USB at the DOS level!  We would have to explore that to figure it out!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 11:13am

Hi, Thanks a lot for the explanations. I'll answer according your comments:

1. Yes I used the Ghost 2003 Boot Wizard to create the boot floppy. It ended just in 1 floppy, so it must be that I didn't check the USB 2.0 support.

2. I succeeded with the USB memory stick on another computer (An acer laptop) and this was a few years back. I remembered having a 1 GB stick. I installed WinXP (about 1.3 GB) on that machine and I could fit the system on the 1GB USB stick. But then I was using the boot floppy.  So I can't say why it worked then.

-----
I can try to make the 2 boot floppies as you said. Though I still have the NG03 CD, I don't think I'll be able to update it to the last version of NG03. Updating via the NG03 program will not update Ghost to the most recent version. On my Acer machine which I had earlier, I had Norton anti virus also and using the LiveUpdate feature from there, I could retrieve the last update of NG03 from Symantec Archive if I remembered correctly. But I did this a few years back.

On my HP machine which I'm currently using now, I don't have other Symantec products. Hence this won't allow me to update to the latest of NGO3. Am I right? Is there a way to update the NG03 if one doesn't have other Symantec products which allows LiveUpdate from Symantec archive?

I'll try to make the two boot floppies during the weekend. If I understand you correctly then it won't be possible to make a boot CD from these 2 boot floppies. Thanks a lot. I'll keep in touch.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 12:00pm

@
blackeagle

I have some important information to offer you regarding your questions--but, I'm pressed for time right now and have to be out of town for the next 4-5 days--so, don't do anything yet with you Ghost 2003 disks or discs--or the installation of Ghost 2003--until I can give you some feed back--sorry I can't do it right now!

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 2:53pm

Hi NightOwl, Thanks for your message and kind help. I'll wait...

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 9:04am

@
blackeagle

Okay--I'm back!!!

Quote:
On my HP machine which I'm currently using now, I don't have other Symantec products. Hence this won't allow me to update to the latest of NGO3. Am I right? Is there a way to update the NG03 if one doesn't have other Symantec products which allows LiveUpdate from Symantec archive?

If you have the stand-alone Ghost 2003 installation disc, when you install that to Windows, you will get the same Symantec Windows interface that you had when you also had the Norton anti-virus software installed--just without the anti-virus listed in that interface.  I installed Ghost 2003 as part of the Norton SystemWorks suite--so I had Norton Anti-virus, Norton Utilities, Norton CleanSweep, Web-tools, Extra Features, and Ghost 2003.  When I later uninstalled Norton Anti-virus, that was removed from the Symantec interface--but all the others remained.

So, the LiveUpdate is installed as part of that Symantec Windows interface.  However, the version of LiveUpdate that is installed is not aware of the Symantec Archieved Update server for older programs!  And, for reasons I don't understand, LiveUpdate is unable to update itself to more recent versions!  So, you have to *manually* update LiveUpdate to the more recent version, and then you can select the Archieve server to get to the updates for Ghost 2003.  Here's a quote from another thread in the past:

Quote:
Older versions of LiveUpdate will not find Ghost 2003 updates--you have to update your version of LiveUpdate (oddly--Symantec does not LiveUpdate its LiveUpdate automatically!). Here's the link for the steps to get the most recent LiveUpdate that can access the *archive* server where Ghost 2003 resides:

How to obtain the programs updates that are archived on Symantec LiveUpdate server

There's more discussion about updating Ghost 2003 in this *sticked* thread:

You need Ghost 2003 build .793 to use SATA and -FNI, here's how.

Having said all that, you may not need to worry about the LiveUpdate issue!  You have a floppy disk made from the Ghost 2003 Windows Norton Ghost Boot Wizard in the past--if that was made after you had updated your Ghost 2003 back when the original LiveUpdate worked without the *fix* above--then your *ghost.exe* will be the most recent build of *.793*.  You can install Ghost 2003 onto Windows, use the Boot Wizard to create whatever boot floppies you want, and then just delete the *ghost.exe* that's on those new boot disks, and copy the *ghost.exe* that's on your *old* boot disk to the *new* boot disks--you will then have that most recent *ghost.exe* on the *new* boot disks.

So, if that *old* boot disk has the most recent build of *ghost.exe*--protect that disk!!!  It's *golden*!

Back in the day, most of the *updates* were to the *ghost.exe* program and not the other supporting programs and DOS drivers--so you probably won't be missing much--if anything--if you don't *officially* update the installed Ghost 2003 program!

How do you *know* what version of *ghost.exe* that you have?  You can run the *version* command switch from within Windows--you go to *Start*, then *Run*, and type *command* (without the **'s), and press Enter.  Windows will open a *MS-DOS Prompt* command window--the default location is the user's name in the *Documents and Settings* directory of the Windows partition--usually *C:\Documents and Settings\User Name*.  Navigate to whatever drive (HDD, floppy drive, or optical drive) and/or subdirectory that has the *ghost.exe* program in question, and then type at the DOS-prompt:  *ghost.exe -ver* (without the **'s) and press Enter.  You will get a response showing the version and build of that *ghost.exe* program.

If you have installed (or have a 3rd party file manager program that has the feature included) the Windows Power Toy tool for opening a *command prompt here*, you can use Windows Explorer to navigate to the location, right click on that subdirectory and select *Open Command Window Here*.  Now, type the Ghost version command:  *ghost.exe -ver* (without the **'s) and press Enter.

That's enough for this post--there's more to come!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 12:17pm

@
blackeagle

The previous post was preliminary to this post--

The Ghost 2003 installation disc is bootable!  But, it has come in several different forms.

I got my first Ghost 2003 disc as an included software with the purchase of an Iomega 40 GB USB 2.0 external HDD.  It was an *international* version where it had a boot sequence where you had to watch carefully during boot to see what drive letter was assigned to your optical drive, and then had to tell the boot process which drive letter and which language you needed to load.  I can't find that disc right now, so I can't check to see what version of *ghost.exe* was on that disc.

Some folks got their Ghost 2003 included with the Norton SystemWorks suite--that disc is bootable, but you can only run the Norton Antivirus in DOS from that one--so not much use for emergency Ghost use.

The more recent stand-alone Ghost 2003 installation disc had the most recent build of Ghost 2003, i.e. build .793.  When you boot from it, you would get a boot menu where you could choose not to load any extra DOS drivers--so you would get a DOS prompt and could access any partition on a HDD that had a DOS drive letter and/or the floppy drive if you have one--but it is drive letter B:\--drive letter A:\ was used by the optical boot sequence that creates a *virtual* floppy drive A:\!  But, you could not access any data on the optical drive--so the *ghost.exe* program was not available--so not very useful!

Or, you could select to load DOS optical drive drivers so you could access the optical disc in DOS, or load DOS USB 1.x, or USB 2.0, or DOS Firewire external HDD drivers.

If you selected any of the USB or Firewire support, you automatically also get the optical DOS drivers so you can access the optical disc in DOS as well.

So, what version of *ghost.exe* do you have on your Ghost 2003 installation disc?  The more recent discs have *ghost.exe* located under the *Support* subdirectory.

And, if you attempt to boot from the disc--what options do you get for loading supporting DOS drivers?

If you have the choice of loading USB drivers--you need to have the USB HDD hooked up and powered on before booting--and it's best not to have other USB devices hooked up--if I have any devices such as a USB hub, flash drive, or USB card reader--the Ghost supplied DOS USB driver (made by Iomega, by the way) will go into a delayed state attempting to mount and assign a drive letter(s) to these additional devices that can take 5-10 minutes!!!!  If just the external HDD is hooked up--it takes no time at all and boots to DOS quickly!

What do you have and what are your results?

(By the way, I don't think any of the Ghost 2003 updates changed any of the Ghost support for USB HDD's in DOS or Firewire either.  I think the updates where primarily to the *ghost.exe* program and its compatibility with optical drives that allow Ghost to write optical disc Ghost images to them.)

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 2:37pm

Hi NightOwl,
                    Many thanks for taking the time to write all this. Well I got my copy of Ghost 2003 when I was working at a University. We had an external Iomega hard drive of quite low capacity as compared to what is available now and one day I noticed that Ghost was mentioned on the box of the hard drive. It was not easy to track down down the Ghost 2003 CD which came with the external Iomega hard drive as no one really knew what Ghost was. Finally I could lay my hands on the treasure. Now I've just looked at my Ghost 2003 CD and I find that that my ghost.exe file is under the SUPPORT directory together with gdisk.exe, ghreboot.exe and ghstwalk.exe. The installation CD offers to install Ghost 2003 in 10 languaages and the menu has the logo of Iomega on the top right hand side. In the readme.txt file, I see that the date given there is August 14, 2002.

From a previous post here on ratified, I learned how to update Ghost to the most recent version. I remember that I had to run the update process TWICE in order to get the latest version. I've just checked the version of my Ghost and it's version is 793, cdrlib: 3.1.25 .And I have also 793 marked on the diskette label when I did the update a few years back.

Please note that m laptop doesn't come with a floppy disk drive. So I use an external floppy drive. In my case it's a Sony USB floppy drive. I have been using this since I started playing with Ghost.

You mentioned "When you boot from it, you would get a boot menu where you could choose not to load any extra DOS drivers". Unfortunately I don't get this. It loads PC DOS directly in my case and the mouse driver. But I can certainly quit the program once inside to go to the command prompt.

Also please note that I have my Sony USB floppy drive attached to a USB port when I'm booting from my diskette. But I have also made a boot CD with the Ghost contents of the floppy disk and I normally use the CD, and keep the boot diskette somewhere safe.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 3:00pm

Hi again,
            When I boot from the CD (it should be the same with the boot diskette), I get the following messages:

Starting PC DOS...
Microsoft (R) Mouse Driver Version 8.20
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1983-1992.
Copyright (C) IBM Corp. 1992-1993.
Mouse driver installed

And when it loads, I'm directed to the "About Norton Ghost" menu where is listed the "Product Manufacturer", "Name", and "Company" information. I then press "OK" to start using Ghost.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #13 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 7:42am

@
blackeagle

Quote:
You mentioned "When you boot from it, you would get a boot menu where you could choose not to load any extra DOS drivers". Unfortunately I don't get this. It loads PC DOS directly in my case and the mouse driver. But I can certainly quit the program once inside to go to the command prompt.

I think you have misunderstood what I'm saying--there are two different optical disc we are talking about--the *Installation CD* from Symantec--and the bootable optical disc you made using the floppy boot disk as the source to create that bootable CD.

Quote:
When I boot from the CD (it should be the same with the boot diskette), I get the following messages:

Exactly--it was created using the floppy disk boot files so it (optical disc) should be identical to what loads when using the floppy disk.

But, what I'm talking about is the Symantec *Installation CD*!  It's bootable and allows you to boot to DOS--and it should give you that menu to choose whether to load additional DOS drivers such as the USB 1.x or 2.0, or Firewire!

Quote:
The installation CD offers to install Ghost 2003 in 10 languaages and the menu has the logo of Iomega on the top right hand side. In the readme.txt file, I see that the date given there is August 14, 2002.

Again, when I mentioned my original Ghost CD--I was talking about when I used it to boot to DOS--you had to choose a language for use in DOS--you are talking about when you *install* it in Windows--not the same thing!!!

Quote:
I've just checked the version of my Ghost and it's version is 793, cdrlib: 3.1.25 .And I have also 793 marked on the diskette label when I did the update a few years back.

My question was *what's the version of Ghost on the Symantec Installation CD*? 

If your optical drive in Windows is given the drive letter *X:*, put your Symantec Ghost 2003 Installation CD in the optical drive, open the *MS-DOS Prompt* window as I mentioned in reply #9 above.  Type   x:  , and press Enter--this will change the DOS prompt *focus* to the optical drive.  Then, type   cd support , and press Enter--*cd* is for *change directory*--so you are changing the focus to the *Support* sub-directory--which is where you said the *ghost.exe* is located.  Now, type   ghost.exe -ver , and press Enter--this will give you the version of the *ghost.exe* that's on the Symantec Installation CD.

What's your version of *ghost.exe* on that Installation CD?

Put that Installation CD in your optical drive.  Turn off the system.  And now boot up the system using that Installation CD as your optical boot disc. 

Do you get that menu to select a USB DOS driver to be loaded?

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #14 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 9:20am

Hi NightOwl,
               My apologies for my misunderstanding. Thank you very much indeed for your patience. Now I did what you asked for:

A. On the installation CD, in the English > support directory, the version is: build=775, cdrlib=3.1.24

B. When I boot with the installation CD and I get the following message:

PC DOS 7.1 startup Menu
------------------------

1. Continue without loading any drivers
2. Load CD Drivers (IDE and SCSI)
3. Load USB 1.1 drivers
4. Load USB 2.0 drivers
5. Load Firewire drivers

Enter a choice.....

However, I'm not asked to select a language though at this stage.

Hope I answered your questions.

Again, many thanks

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print