Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
external (desktop) hard drive (Read 49697 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: external (desktop) hard drive
Reply #15 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 9:42am

@
blackeagle

Okay--now we're on the same page!

Quote:
However, I'm not asked to select a language though at this stage.

No, you will not have a language selection option--I had one of the first Ghost 2003 program discs when it first came out.  Yours is a later version of the program disc.  And the most recent program disc has the build 793 on it!

So, hook up your USB HDD, power on, and boot using that Installation CD--select the USB 2.0 option--results?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #16 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 10:42am

You say you have .775 build, and I believe .793 build is needed to work with SATA drives which may be why it's not recognized.  Go to the link in the first post at http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1206707882 to update to .793 build.

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #17 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 10:46am

Hi NightOwl,
                I connected my Iomega Prestige 1TB HDD to my machine and got lot of error messages as follows. I get 1 or 2 error messages and then the following after "PCI Bus Scan Complete" is displayed:

Error: Adaptec ASPI Device Driver not available. CD-ROM driver not loaded: no valid Adaptec host adapter

This one comes twice (X2):
-----
Iomega ASPI USB-EHCI 1.0 V.12 08 Apr 2003
Copyright Iomega Corporation

No Devices found
--------

Bad or missing ASPIEHCI.SYS
error in config.sys line 54

Bad or missing ASPIEHCI.SYS
error in config.sys line 55

Bad or missing command Interpreter
Enter correct name of Command Interpreter (e.g. C:\command.com)

A>

I can't change to other drives. I guess we should have had A:> and not A>. My keyboard is Swedish and I had to look hard to spot the colon : symbol. I tried C: but it doesn't work. This is due to the command interpreter.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #18 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 10:49am

Hi Tator,
            Thanks for the comment. Do I have to make a new Installation CD? I already have version 793 on my diskette. Can I copy the CD contents to say my hard drive, replace the old Ghost.exe with the newer Ghost.exe and then make a boot CD.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #19 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 11:26am

@
blackeagle

Quote:
I get 1 or 2 error messages and then the following after "PCI Bus Scan Complete" is displayed:

Error: Adaptec ASPI Device Driver not available. CD-ROM driver not loaded: no valid Adaptec host adapter

The boot disc loads several optical drive drivers to cover SCSI and other less common controllers--the most common at the time of the Ghost 2003 program were IDE PATA controllers.  It's normal for those other optical drive controllers to report *failure* messages if they do not exist on your system.

But, your system is fairly new--does it use the SATA controllers for both the HDD's and the optical drive?  There has been a new DOS SATA optical drive driver developed since the days of Ghost 2003--the original Installation disc will not have that driver, however.

Quote:
Iomega ASPI USB-EHCI 1.0 V.12 08 Apr 2003
Copyright Iomega Corporation

No Devices found

Looks like the DOS USB driver is being loaded, but it is not *seeing* the attached USB HDD after it takes control of the USB controller--I assume you do not have the USB floppy drive connected--or any other USB devices--correct?

Quote:
Bad or missing command Interpreter
Enter correct name of Command Interpreter (e.g. C:\command.com)

A>

Quote:
I can't change to other drives. I guess we should have had A:> and not A>. My keyboard is Swedish and I had to look hard to spot the colon : symbol. I tried C: but it doesn't work. This is due to the command interpreter.

Normally, the most common DOS prompt is *A:\>*--but it doesn't have to be that!  Maybe in PC-DOS it is different.  Do you have any partitions that are FAT16 or FAT32--or is everything NTFS partitions?  If NTFS, then there will be no DOS drive letters assigned to any of the partition(s)--Ghost 2003, once loaded, will be able to *see* NTFS partitions--but they will be designated by a drive #, and then a partition #, and not by a DOS drive letter--so for example *1:1*--and if your optical drive is SATA--then it too will not be given a DOS drive letter--if it is assigned a DOS drive letter--and there are only NTFS partitions for the HDDs, then the optical drive would be *C:\*!

The *command interpreter* will be at *a:\command.com*--but after DOS gets mixed up with various loading errors, it sometimes can't remember where that file is!

Things happen fast during boot to DOS--you can slow things down by pressing F8 just as the system begins to load the DOS OS--you can then elect to have each line of config.sys and autoexec.bat (the DOS boot files) loaded one line at a time and see the results before you are given the next line to say *Yes* (Y) to loading that next line.  You will then see if the DOS boot lines assign a letter to the optical drive at any point in loading the various boot programs.

Are all the partitions NTFS?  Is the optical drive SATA?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #20 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 11:45am

Hi NightOwl,
                My machine is from last year---An HP 8710W mobile workstation. Yes I have 4 partitions on my machine and they are all NTFS, including the one where I store my Ghost images. For the CD-ROM drive, it's a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L. I don't know if it's SATA but in Device manager > properties > details and under Device Instance Id I found this:

IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GST-t20L__________NC08_ and some long numbers which follow.

So it's IDE I think.

NO I don't have other USB devices connected. The hard drive of my machine also seems to be IDE....it has the same format as the one for the CD drive. In System information under Storage, I find only IDE and nothing is shown for SCSI. No SATA.

Yes indeed when using Ghost, the partitions are identified as 1:1 for the system, 1:2 , 1:3 etc. But I have also label the partitions and I see their names also.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #21 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 12:37pm

@
blackeagle

Just booted to my Symantec Ghost 2003 installation disc to re-check things:

I get the DOS prompt as *A:\>* for my systems PC-DOS boot.

You do not use the F8 key until after that boot menu shows up.  At the bottom of the screen it says to use *F8* for step-by-step confirmation of the boot files.  After selecting F8, then select menu item 2 or 3 and proceed.

The DOS program that mounts an IDE PATA optical drive will be the *oakcdrom.sys* program--the config.sys line should read *oakcdrom.sys /d:cd1*.  You should get the number of *devices* found by that program--should be *1* if you only have one CD drive.

The DOS program that assigns a drive letter to the optical drive is the *mscdex.exe* program--in autoexec.bat the line should read *LH \mscdex.exe /d:cd1 /c:cd2*.  After it loads, you should see what drive letter was assigned by the program to your CD drive.

Are you able to load Ghost after the boot files have run?

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #22 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 2:30pm

You don't have to make a new installation CD.  Just check to verify you have .793 build on your PC which you likely do since you have it on diskette, i.e. if the boot CD was created using the diskette.  To check build on PC find the GhostStart icon, right click it, select properties and select version.  That build will be the same version for Ghost.exe.

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #23 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 2:39pm

Hi Tator,
            Yes my boot CD has the same version as in the diskette. I thought that you referred to the installation CD. But even so, the boot CD doesn't recognize the external HDD.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #24 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 2:45pm

Hi NightOwl,
                I get the same messages as you wrote. And I get A:\> but just before that Ghost asked which language to load Ghost. All the languages were being listed and when I wanted to type "English" as my choice, my keyboard was not working. But after A:\> appeared, my keyboard was working again.

So I was not able to load Ghost.

I get Device C:Driver CDROM1 Unit 0 for the CD drive. So it's the C drive.

I then switched off my machine, connected the HDD and boot again. Now it stops at autoexec.bat, and then exits with the message: bad or missing comman interpreter and I get A>

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #25 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 2:47pm

NightOwl, as A:\> is for the CD drive, I can go in the Ghost directory and then load Ghost. But I can reach the A:\> without the external HDD connected.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #26 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 10:41am

@
blackeagle

Quote:
My machine is from last year---An HP 8710W mobile workstation. Yes I have 4 partitions on my machine and they are all NTFS, including the one where I store my Ghost images. For the CD-ROM drive, it's a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L

Google is our friend!!!  Did some searching--is this your system?:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01093115...

Additional specifications:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12731_div/12731_div.HTML

If this is your system--note the HDD is SATA.  It drives me crazy, but for some reason they do not specify what the interface is for the optical drive--but, I have to think it too will be SATA--not likely they are going to put both PATA and SATA controllers in a single laptop at this point in the evolution of storage device interfaces--but without a specification--it could go either way!!!

Do you have any manuals (paper or electronic--i.e. pdf file on system disc or something like that) or other user information that gives you a better idea which optical drive you have--(they are listing several for this model number, and the numbers don't match what you have listed)?

Quote:
I get the same messages as you wrote. And I get A:\> but just before that Ghost asked which language to load Ghost

Yours must be an *international* version--my most recent Ghost 2003 installation disc does not offer a language choice in DOS.

Quote:
I get Device C:Driver CDROM1 Unit 0 for the CD drive. So it's the C drive.

Okay, so you do get a drive letter assigned to the optical drive--in that case it must be PATA and not SATA!!!  Interesting!

Quote:
NightOwl, as A:\> is for the CD drive, I can go in the Ghost directory and then load Ghost.

When booting from a bootable optical disc, the boot process creates a *virtual* floppy drive and it's given the A:\ drive letter assignment.

Quote:
But I can reach the A:\> without the external HDD connected.

Clarify--did you mean to say you can reach the A:\>  prompt *only* if the external HDD is *disconnected*?

So, if your optical drive is PATA--and you loose the command interpreter if you connect the USB HDD, that means there is probably a conflict with your USB HDD and the DOS USB driver--I now suspect that your laptop's BIOS is also loading a built-in USB driver and the DOS USB driver loaded during boot is then conflicting with the BIOS and causing the problem.

Are you familiar with looking around the system's BIOS?  You might want to see what options are there for controlling what the BIOS does as far as USB support.  On some systems, folks have found that they have to disable something like *Legacy USB Support* or some other similar option so the BIOS does not load its USB support. 

Also, you might have to disable being able to *boot* from a USB HDD or flashdrive in order to avoid a conflict with the DOS USB driver.  You'll have to look and see what options are listed there.

(I've seen some recent references suggesting that if a system's BIOS supports booting from an external USB HDD, you can avoid the conflict issues by creating a separate small boot partition on the USB HDD and setting it up to boot to DOS and load Ghost from that external USB HDD boot partition--the rest of the HDD (other partitions) would still be for storage.  I don't have a system that has that ability--so can not test whether all that really works or not!)

You do not want to disable the USB *controller*--if you do that then there will be no access to USB even by the DOS USB driver.

Let us know what you come up with.

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #27 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 10:10am

Blackeagle,

I don't think the following will necessarily help in your quest at all but a year or so ago I was faced with a similar strange occurrence with Ghost 2003 PC-DOS environment and accessing my USB drive. Access to my Seagate 80GB ext USB drive had been fine with Ghost, under Win2K, but when I replaced it with a Seagate 250GB ext drive and tried writing images to it under WinXP, Ghost refused to see the 250GB ext drive.

In fact, I'd ended up with a Seagate 250GB PATA HDD in the PC and also a 250GB Seagate drive as the ext USB one. My feeling, at the time, was that Ghost got constantly confused between the two, during the dialog, and so only showed one of them.

Several contributors to these forums tried desperately to help me out, including Nightowl, but to no avail. I'd made a new Build 793 bootdisk but every conceivable attempt to get Ghost PC-DOS to see the ext drive during the imaging dialog completely failed. In the end, I had to be content with making images to a reserved partition on the main HDD and then copying them over to the ext drive using drag n' drop.

Now, here's where it gets really weird. That 250GB ext drive finally failed last week. [Dare I say it, It gave up the Ghost!!! Heh, heh, heh]. So, I've now replaced it by a LaCie 500GB ext USB drive. Same sort of NTFS partitions, using exactly the same USB port on the PC. And Ghost DOS now sees the LaCie drive! Work that one out, missus!

Addendum: if Ghost DOS detects a new drive, it requires that you agree to Ghost 'marking' that drive. I'm not sure what results if you don't agree to the marking.

Also, I don't think that, in that PC-DOS environment, driveletters are relevant. PC-DOS uses instead just the drivenames and its own numbering system.

If Ghost is detecting the USB drive, you should instantly be aware of it, as when the Iomega driver loads, it's followed by something like:

ID0= <name of USB drive>

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #28 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 3:54pm

Hi NightOwl and Voximan,
                                  I'm sorry for suddenly going silent as you might have noticed. I've have had my hands full during the past weeks. I have read your comments and will print them out so that I can go carefully through them.

NightOwl, yes indeed the links you gave are for my machine.

I would ask you guys to be patient with me. I'll come back to you in a few days. Wish there were more than 24 hours in a day!

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #29 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 7:06am

HI NightOwl,
                Now I have time to look into the problem. With the external HDD attached and booting with NG03, I get bad or missing command interpreter message, though I can see drive letters being assigned similarly as in your case to the CD drive.

With the external HDD not attached, I get the message: Type your language and then [Y,N,ESC]. At that point, my keyboard doesn't respond to any characters. After I pressed enter, I get: for example Francais E: [Y] . (This is for French). I'm able here to type Y but then it just goes to the command prompt and I'm not able to do anything after that.

I'll check if disabling the ability to boot from an external HDD makes any difference. If yes, I'll let you know.

Thanks again

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print