Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
external (desktop) hard drive (Read 49693 times)
blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Re: external (desktop) hard drive
Reply #30 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 8:07am

Hi again NightOwl,
                       I've played with my BIOS settings a little as you asked. First note that I saw "SATA native mode" is enabled in the BIOS. I don't have any option to disable booting from external drives without disabling all USB ports. I left this at it was.

I saw the boot order is:
optical disk drive
USB CD ROM
USB floppy
USB super disk
Hard Drive (C:)
USB Hard Disk
Network Controller

The change that I then made in the above list was to move Hard Drive (C:) above USB super disk. I still don't know what super disk is!!!

I disabled the "Legacy USB support". Now I see that this setting enabled was giving me the "bad or missing command interpreter" before.

What I'm going to write next happened with the USB external hard drive connected and I'm booting with NG03 installation CD.

After some messages in the booting process, I see the following:

ID4= ST31000528AS
Installed successfully

This sequence of numbers made me remember that I see the same when under Windows when for example I'm disconnecting the external HDD using "safely remove hardware > stop a hardware device". Under Widows, my external HDD is identified as ST310005 28AS USB Device.

Finally, after some more messages I get the following:

To run Ghost, type your language and then echo your CD drive letter as listed above. Example Francais E: [Y,N,ESC].

to which I entered ENGLISH C: (as my CD drive letter is C).
Ghost partially loads! I see the blue NG03 screen, the mouse pointer hangs up and on top left of my screen I see the command prompt (in black region) with the message:

Divide overflow
A:\>

Ghost doesn't load. I again typed English C:, but with no effect.

I hope that you'll be able to shed some light here. From now on, I'll respond to any posts quickly. I have been really busy but now I'm back to whatever was normal before.

Thanks again for your kind help.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #31 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 11:11pm

@
blackeagle

Finally got some free time myself--had to go back and re-read this whole thread to refresh my memory.....

Quote:
I've played with my BIOS settings a little as you asked. First note that I saw "SATA native mode" is enabled in the BIOS.

What are the other choices that are available ?  Because your Ghost installation CD has build *775*, it probably is not completely compatible with SATA controllers.  Some found that they had to start Ghost with a command line switch */fni* to change how Ghost accesses the controller.  Apparently the newer build of *793* solved that problem.

But, some folks had to change the SATA *mode* to *combination* or *compatibility* (or some other wording to similar effect) rather than *native* in order for the SATA controller to work properly in DOS.  One would only change that setting while using DOS and change it back to *native* as soon as they were done in DOS and ready to boot to Windows again.

So, what options are there?

Quote:
I saw the boot order is:
optical disk drive
USB CD ROM
USB floppy
USB super disk
Hard Drive (C:)
USB Hard Disk
Network Controller

Well, looking at that list--it sure looks like the system's BIOS is wanting to offer lots of support for USB devices!  What's hard to know is if the BIOS is also trying to offer support beyond just booting from the various USB devices--your final error at the end of your post suggests that there is a possibility that that is happening.  But, perhaps it's the SATA issue mentioned above--we'll see after you see what SATA modes you have to choose from.

Quote:
The change that I then made in the above list was to move Hard Drive (C:) above USB super disk. I still don't know what super disk is!!!

Google is our friend:  Imation - USB SuperDisk review

Quote:
SuperDisk is the high-capacity floppy disk standard which is rapidly gaining popularity in both PC and Apple Mac markets

Quote:
I disabled the "Legacy USB support". Now I see that this setting enabled was giving me the "bad or missing command interpreter" before.

Good!  One issue resolved!

Quote:
ID4= ST31000528AS
Installed successfully

Well, a little more headway!  Is this your 1TB external USB HDD?

What file system is on your external HDD above--NTFS?

Quote:
to which I entered ENGLISH C: (as my CD drive letter is C).
Ghost partially loads! I see the blue NG03 screen, the mouse pointer hangs up and on top left of my screen I see the command prompt (in black region) with the message:

Divide overflow
A:\>

Well, it's at this stage that Ghost is *examining* the available storage media to see what it can work with--and obviously it's hitting a *brick wall*--again, this may be the SATA compatibility issue where Ghost can not properly communicate with the SATA controller.

So, let us know what those SATA options are and we'll see if there's anything that may help.

Also, do you have any other external USB HDDs--or just the one?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #32 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 4:11am

Hi,
   Many thanks for the comments. I shall answer in the order your questions appear.

1. I don't see any other option for "SATA". I can only disable the SATA native mode. It's enabled by default. And yes I have the 775 build on the installation CD.

2. Yes the ID4= ST31000528AS is my 1 TB external HDD. It's the same ID that is also given by Windows Explorer. So there's no doubt that the external HDD is finally being recognized by Ghost.

3. Yes the file system on the external HDD is NTFS.

4. No, I don't have any other external USB HDD.

Thanks again

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #33 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 10:19am

@
blackeagle

Quote:
I can only disable the SATA native mode. It's enabled by default

Well, maybe when you *disable* SATA native mode, it's understood that you have now selected *compatibility* mode--hard to say--information from manufacturers is so hard to come by as to what settings in the BIOS mean!

You could try the following:

[Trial boot #1:  ]

Shut down the system.  Then boot and immediately go into the BIOS and select the *Disabled* option for the SATA mode.  Save that setting and the re-boot the system using the Ghost installation disc.  Select the USB 2.0 support option and see if you can get to DOS without a load error from Ghost.

Results?

[Trial boot #2:  ]

If the above doesn't work--here's a second test boot to try--leaving the above BIOS setting for SATA in that *Disabled* mode:

After the above first test *fails*, re-boot the system, and again boot from the Ghost installation CD.  This time, when you get the initial boot menu in PC-DOS, you should see an option to press *F8* to go into DOS diagnostic mode that allows you to go through the boot process in a step-by-step fashion--each DOS command line is presented and you have to select *Y* (yes) or *N* (no) for each command line as to whether you should load that line or not.

I know in MS-DOS that the first step when you have selected the *step-by-step* mode will be a question if you want to create a *log file*--if PC-DOS does that, too, then select *N* (no).

Then, select *Y* for all the other commands until you reach the last command which is to load *ghost.exe*--you want to select *N* (no) for this one!

Once you select *N* for the *ghost.exe* command, you should end up in the *Support* sub-directory with the drive letter of your optical drive being at the beginning of that DOS prompt line.

Now, type the following to start Ghost:

ghost.exe -fni

(There is a *space* between *ghost.exe* and the *-fni* command line switch.)

This switch for Ghost changes how Ghost accesses the HDD--and it's been reported that this helped solve issues where Ghost was not functioning compatibly with SATA controllers.  I think the update in Ghost to the build 793 solved these issues as well.

Does Ghost load successfully now? 

[Trial Boot #3:  ]

If the above *does* work!!!, then shut down the system, re-boot and enter the BIOS and change the SATA setting back to *Native Mode*--now save that change and re-boot using the Ghost installation CD.  Again use the *step-by-step* routine as outlined in test boot #2 above, using the manual load command line of *ghost.exe -fni*.

Does Ghost load successfully now?

If Trial boot #2 did not work, and you are not doing Trial boot #3, then you should shut down the system, re-boot and enter the BIOS and re-set the SATA mode to *Native*.  You can now save that setting and re-boot to Windows.

Results???

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #34 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 12:22pm

Hi NightOwl,
                I have been trying all 3 boot options but without success. Here is what I observed:

1. Boot #1
Booting was very fast without using the F8 option. I couldn't see if my external HDD was assigned a drive letter. Anyway after ending on the command prompt, typing Ghost.exe gives the Divide Overflow error.

2. Boot #2
My device was identfied as ID3. Ghost didn't land in the support directory. I had to manually go into C:\English\support folder. I get the bad command or file name after typing ghost with the -fni option.

3. Boot #3
My device was identfied as ID2 this time. Ghost didn't land in the support directory as in boot #2. I had to manually go into C:\English\support folder. Typing ghost with the -fni option gives me the Divide Overflow error.

Thanks for taking the time and patience to try resolving my problem. I hope that you can suggest some new "turnarounds".

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #35 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 3:08pm

@
blackeagle

Quote:
Ghost didn't land in the support directory. I had to manually go into C:\English\support folder

Is that always true of your bootable Ghost installation disc--always have to manually change to the *Support* folder, and manually start Ghost?

Quote:
1. Boot #1

Booting was very fast without using the F8 option. I couldn't see if my external HDD was assigned a drive letter. Anyway after ending on the command prompt, typing Ghost.exe gives the Divide Overflow error.

and:

Quote:
3. Boot #3

My device was identfied as ID2 this time. Ghost didn't land in the support directory as in boot #2. I had to manually go into C:\English\support folder. Typing ghost with the -fni option gives me the Divide Overflow error

So, an error of *Divide Overflow* whether SATA Native mode is *Disabled* or *Enabled*--and Ghost is started with or without the *-fni* switch if you have selected *USB 2.0* support.

but: 

Quote:
2. Boot #2

My device was identfied as ID3. Ghost didn't land in the support directory. I had to manually go into C:\English\support folder. I get the bad command or file name after typing ghost with the -fni option

Well, a *bad command or file name* error means DOS did not find that file in that directory--or the command was *typed* wrong.  It would have been interesting to try the *dir* command (list directory) to see if the *ghost.exe* file was listed as present!

Quote:
2. Boot #2
My device was identfied as ID3

and:

3. Boot #3
My device was identfied as ID2 this time.

That's weird--if *SATA Native* mode is *Disabled*, an *extra* device shows up--not sure what give with that!

Well, it's still not clear if there's a problem with running the DOS Ghost program on your system--or some type of compatibility/conflict issue with the DOS USB driver.

How about this for better clarity: 

1.  Can you boot from the Ghost installation disc and select only *optical drive* support--do not select USB support at all.  Can you load DOS and eventually type *ghost.exe* and load Ghost from the installation disc (i.e. build 775)?

2.  When you use your bootable disc which you made from the floppy disk with Ghost build 793 on it--does that allow you to load Ghost without any errors?

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #36 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 5:13pm

Hi NightOwl,
                Thanks as always. Your questions and my answers:

NightOwl wrote on Oct 26th, 2009 at 3:08pm:
s that always true of your bootable Ghost installation disc--always have to manually change to the *Support* folder, and manually start Ghost?

I can't really say. It's not dependent on whether I'm enabling SATA or disabling SATA. Maybe the -fni switch is doing something here. With SATA enabled and no -fni, Ghost loads without that I have to go in the support folder. But when I enabled -fni, Ghost doesn't land in the support folder.

Anyhow each time, I believe that I have to change my drive letter so that I go to the CD drive. Ghost asks to type a language and then the CD drive e.g. English C: in my case.

So, an error of *Divide Overflow* whether SATA Native mode is *Disabled* or *Enabled*--and Ghost is started with or without the *-fni* switch if you have selected *USB 2.0* support.

Yes.

Well, a *bad command or file name* error means DOS did not find that file in that directory--or the command was *typed* wrong.It would have been interesting to try the *dir* command (list directory) to see if the *ghost.exe* file was listed as present!

If I remember correctly, Ghost.exe was in that directory but it just wouldn't load.

1.Can you boot from the Ghost installation disc and select only *optical drive* support--do not select USB support at all.Can you load DOS and eventually type *ghost.exe* and load Ghost from the installation disc (i.e. build 775)?

Yes I can boot. I get some error messages that a drive letter hasn't been assigned to the CD. But then I have to manually change to the support directory and Ghost does load without any warnings. I can also quit Ghost quietly without any error messages. I've tried this with my computer in the default SATA on mode. As an aside, when I disabled SATA the previous time that I was trying ou your different boot options, then Windows wouldn't load.  Well I have configured my Windows so that it offers me 2 boot options: 1 normal Windows and 1 with a "close" 3GB switch (actually less than 3 GB). With the SATA mode disabled, Windows got stuck when the 2 boot options were presented to me. I was a little afraid Smiley that something irreversible and bad had occurred...

2.When you use your bootable disc which you made from the floppy disk with Ghost build 793 on it--does that allow you to load Ghost without any errors? 

Yes, Ghost loads without any errors. I think the last line of message that I see is "mouse driver loaded" or such and then Ghosts loads quietly. And I can exit without any error messages.

Thanks for your patience. It's becoming a pretty long thread now!

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #37 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 9:11am

@
blackeagle

Sorry for being slow to respond--I'm going to be out of town all next week (starting later this morning!)--and I had a project I needed to complete before I leave....

Well...it looks like DOS Ghost sees the SATA HDD fine, and you have access to the optical drive using the old DOS PATA controller drivers for optical drives, but there's something not working if Ghost's USB DOS driver is loaded.  Either there is a conflict between programs and the system's BIOS--or there's problems between the DOS programs themselves when loaded on your system's hardware--or there's some incompatibility between the USB driver and the USB HDD.

So, here's what I would still try before giving up....

1.  Try MS-DOS in place of PC-DOS to see if there's a DOS/Hardware incompatibility.

2.  Try a DOS memory manager program to see if it's a DOS/Memory configuration incompatibility.

3.  Try a different DOS USB driver rather than Ghost's USB DOS driver.

Early on in this thread you said:

Quote:
I can try to make the 2 boot floppies as you said. Though I still have the NG03 CD, I don't think I'll be able to update it to the last version of NG03. Updating via the NG03 program will not update Ghost to the most recent version. On my Acer machine which I had earlier, I had Norton anti virus also and using the LiveUpdate feature from there, I could retrieve the last update of NG03 from Symantec Archive if I remembered correctly. But I did this a few years back.

Do you have a system available that has a floppy drive--or do you have a floppy drive for your current system?

It will probably be easiest to create various boot disks that can then be modified and converted to bootable optical discs if you are able to use the Ghost Boot Disk Wizard.

So, have you installed the Ghost 2003 Windows interface on a system with a floppy drive, and have you updated the program as we discussed earlier in this thread?

If not, we can always create bootable discs without using a floppy drive:  Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive.  But, that will involve a little more effort to get up to speed using that technique.

As I said, I'm out of town for the next week, but when I get back I should have more flexible free time--and we can try what I mentioned above to see if there's something we can do to make this work for you!

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #38 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 3:55pm

Hi NightOwl,
               Thanks for your message. I must thank you for your patience and time is not a critical factor to arrive at a working solution.

I have another laptop at my home place (in another country) and it's on that machine that I have NG03 installed from my installation CD. This machine is an Acer and it's from that machine that I created my boot diskette.

When I came to where I am right now (in another country), I brought my NG03 installation CD, together with a copy of the boot diskette. On my current laptop (the HP), I don't have NG03 installed and at first I was using the boot diskette which I brought from home to make my images.

My current HP laptop doesn't have a floppy drive. This was the same case with the Acer laptop that I have in the other country. So to make my boot diskette on my Acer laptop, I bought a SONY floppy drive.

In the beginning I used this SONY floppy drive with my HP to do the images. But then I decided to make a bootable CD from the boot diskette.

So I can install NG03 on my HP and as u say to create different diskettes with the Ghost Boot Disk Wizard from Windows. Of course I need first to update the 775 version to 793 via Symantec Archive.

U mentioned the following:

NightOwl wrote on Oct 31st, 2009 at 9:11am:
1.Try MS-DOS in place of PC-DOS to see if there's a DOS/Hardware incompatibility.

2.Try a DOS memory manager program to see if it's a DOS/Memory configuration incompatibility.

3.Try a different DOS USB driver rather than Ghost's USB DOS driver.

Though I've used DOS before, I must humbly say that here I don't know how to proceed. Maybe when u have time, u can explain to me how to go about and then I'll return back to u with feedback.

As for your other questions:

Do you have a system available that has a floppy drive--or do you have a floppy drive for your current system?

The boot diskette that I have was created on my Acer machine through Ghost boot diskette wizard. I don't have a floppy drive on my HP laptop. My boot diskette has the 793 version. And the boot CD that I currently use is from this boot diskette (created on my Acer machine) and it was created for my HP machine specifically. I I did this via Roxio (I think) with the boot diskette in the SONY floppy drive.

So, have you installed the Ghost 2003 Windows interface on a system with a floppy drive, and have you updated the program as we discussed earlier in this thread?

I don't have NG03 currently installed on my HP machine. BUt I do have the installation CD and I can install it and update (it's the updating that can be troublesome, but I can follow previous instructions here).

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #39 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 12:16am

@
blackeagle

Quote:
My current HP laptop doesn't have a floppy drive. This was the same case with the Acer laptop that I have in the other country. So to make my boot diskette on my Acer laptop, I bought a SONY floppy drive.

In the beginning I used this SONY floppy drive with my HP to do the images. But then I decided to make a bootable CD from the boot diskette.

So....is the SONY an external USB floppy drive?

And, you have it with you now and can use it on your current HP laptop--correct?

The reason I ask, you later say the following:

Quote:
The boot diskette that I have was created on my Acer machine through Ghost boot diskette wizard. I don't have a floppy drive on my HP laptop.

So...you do, or you do not have the floppy drive available for use with the HP system?

Quote:
I don't have NG03 currently installed on my HP machine. BUt I do have the installation CD and I can install it and update (it's the updating that can be troublesome, but I can follow previous instructions here).

Actually, it would not require *Live Updating* at all!!!  After you install the version from the installation CD, you could simply use the updated version from the boot floppy disk that has the build 793 on it to replace the older version that is installed from the installation CD.

That's why I'm asking about the availability of a floppy drive!  Everything would be *easier* to do if you have a floppy drive and floppy disks to use!  You can modify the boot files on a floppy disk faster and easier than creating the boot files for a bootable optical disc without a floppy disk drive.  And then you simply use that floppy boot disk to create the bootable optical disk.

blackeagle wrote on Oct 31st, 2009 at 3:55pm:
NightOwl wrote on Oct 31st, 2009 at 7:11am:
1.Try MS-DOS in place of PC-DOS to see if there's a DOS/Hardware incompatibility.

2.Try a DOS memory manager program to see if it's a DOS/Memory configuration incompatibility.

3.Try a different DOS USB driver rather than Ghost's USB DOS driver.

Though I've used DOS before, I must humbly say that here I don't know how to proceed. Maybe when u have time, u can explain to me how to go about and then I'll return back to u with feedback.

You misunderstood what I was saying!  I was outlining where I thought *we* should go next with our attempts to resolve your problem--I'm going to guide you every step of the way if you want to give this all a try--I never meant to imply that you knew ahead of time how to get there!

So, let me know if that floppy disk drive is available--if not, then you would have to decide if you want to get one to make creating boot disks easier--or, as mentioned previously, we can create boot files and bootable optical discs without a floppy drive--it's just more details as to how you go about it!

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #40 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 4:58pm

Hi NightOwl,
                Many thanks for coming back to me. Yes, I have the same SONY external floppy drive that I bought a few years back for use with my old Acer laptop. Now that I use a CD version of the boot diskette, the SONY external floppy drive is just dormant here on my shelf.

So yes, I have both the SONY external floppy drive and boot diskettes available. I have also been able to lay my hands on some blank new diskettes which a friend was throwing away. If you walk in a computer shop and ask for a diskette nowadays, you'll certainly make every head turn around in your direction Smiley.

Yes, I have the updated version 793 on the diskettes and the old 775 version on my installation CD. I understand what you said about how to do the updating.

Ok, thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #41 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 10:58am

@
blackeagle

Quote:
Yes, I have the same SONY external floppy drive that I bought a few years back for use with my old Acer laptop

Great!  So, let's get started.....

First step is to install Ghost 2003's Windows program on your HP laptop.  Whether you try to *Live Update* it by manually updating *Live Update* so *Live Update* can access the *archive* servers--I'll leave that decision up to you.  (But, if you do, you could report back to us here if that path to updating Ghost 2003 is still available and working:  How to obtain the programs updates that are archived on Symantec LiveUpdate server, and You need Ghost 2003 build .793 to use SATA and -FNI, here's how.)

Or, you can do what I suggested earlier--after installing the Windows Ghost program, go into the program directory where *ghost.exe* is installed.  This build from the installation disc will be the build 775.  Re-name that *ghost.exe* program to *ghost.775* (if you want to keep it around for possible future use--or you could simply *delete* it!).  Then, hook up your SONY external floppy drive, and then copy the *ghost.exe* that's on your boot floppy disk that is build 793 to the installation directory where the old build 775 has either been renamed or deleted.  (Make sure it's a *copy* operation and not a *move* operation--you want to keep that build 793 safe on that boot floppy disk for future use, if needed!)

So, now your Windows Ghost 2003 setup will be using the most recent build 793.  I don't believe any of the other program files for USB DOS drivers were updated by Live Update--so you will be using the most recent files for making any boot floppies now with the Ghost Boot Wizard!

Okay, so let's begin the testing...

Up to now, we have been booting from the Ghost Installation CD that has the old Ghost build 775 on it--and loading the USB DOS drivers, and the OS has been PC-DOS--and this has not worked with your external USB drive.

So the first test will be to see if the combination of using the newer build of Ghost--i.e. 793, and keeping everything else the same, solves the problems:

Go to the Ghost Boot Wizard, select the *Standard Ghost Boot Disk*.  On the next page, select the *USB 2.0 Support* option under *External Storage Options*--the box below for *Assign DOS drive letters* will automatically be selected, as well--leave that check box *checked*.  Select *Next*....

Leave the *Use PC-DOS* selection as is for now, and select *Next*.

The *Program Location* should be okay in its default setting.  Select *Next*.

The next page will be to Format the floppy disks--this will require two floppy disks now that the boot disk is including the needed files for the USB DOS drivers--proceed to format the floppy disks.

On the next page, you will get a summary of what the Boot Wizard is going to do.  Select *Next* and proceed.

Now, it's time to test the new boot set.  It's easiest and fastest to use the floppy disks for now until we know if they will work or not.  So, keep your SONY floppy drive connected, hook up and power on your external USB HDD, put the first boot disk of the 2 disk set in the drive, re-boot (make whatever changes may be needed to boot from a floppy drive--may require pressing *F-8* to get a boot menu to select the boot device (may be some other key--you will have to refer to your system's user guide), or perhaps a change in the BIOS boot priority.)   

When the boot process asks, tell it you are booting from a floppy drive, and then place the second boot disk in when it asks.

Results?

(Note--this may not work!  When you load the DOS USB drive drivers during boot, those drivers take over the control of the USB controller--this may over-ride your system's ability to communicate with the USB floppy drive and the boot process may fail--we will have to deal with that problem if it occurs--I don't personally have an external USB floppy drive--so I don't know exactly how a given system reacts to loading DOS USB drivers when also using a USB floppy drive--I think I've seen some reference to having to create a *RAM drive* before attempting to load the USB DOS drivers, and then copying the boot files to the RAM drive to complete the boot process--so the boot files are being read from the RAM drive and loss of access to the floppy drive doesn't matter at that point.  But, we'll have to see what happens on your system before we cross those bridges!

This problem did not occur when we booted from a bootable optical disc because the bootable optical disc creates a *virtual floppy drive*--kind of like a *RAM drive*--and so the USB DOS drivers never were an issue when using the bootable optical drive--and we may have to go that direction to *work around* this issue!

Do you have optical discs that are RW's (rewritable)?  We may be creating multiple different boot trials to optical disc--it's cheaper to use RW's rather than throwing away the one-writes as *coasters*!)

Questions?

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #42 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 11:23am

Hi NightOwl,
                  Thanks for taking the time to write what I should do. I'll come back to you.

Thanks

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #43 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 8:42am

Hi NightOwl,
                I had to enable "USB legacy support" in my BIOS so that the SONY floppy drive would be recognized. The "USB legacy support" was by default enabled on my machine and I disabled it when we started our earlier tests. Disabling it enabled the HDD external drive to be assigned a drive letter (when booting with Ghost).

There's one problem with the creation of the boot diskettes. Ghost tells me only 1 diskette is needed. I followed your instructions. Here's the configuration that I specified (from Ghost):

Client Details:
Client:      Norton Ghost
Destination:      Floppy Drive A:

Configuration Files:
AUTOEXEC.BAT:
@echo off
SET TZ=GHO-01:00
GUEST.EXE
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
CD GHOST
GHOST.EXE

CONFIG.SYS:
DEVICE = usb\aspiehci.sys /int /all
LASTDRIVE = Z

Now, I remember correctly that the boot diskette (with 793) that I have does indeed have the same configuration that you specify and it takes 1 diskette only.

Am I doing something wrong here?
Does it make sense that maybe I should try the LiveUpdate?
My good NG03 boot diskette was created after LiveUpdate was applied and only 1 diskette is needed.

thanks.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #44 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 9:46am

@
blackeagle

Quote:
I had to enable "USB legacy support" in my BIOS so that the SONY floppy drive would be recognized. The "USB legacy support" was by default enabled on my machine and I disabled it when we started our earlier tests. Disabling it enabled the HDD external drive to be assigned a drive letter (when booting with Ghost).

So, your floppy drive does not show up as available in Windows if the *USB legacy support* is not *enabled* in the BIOS.  Interesting--I thought the *legacy support* primarily was needed if you were booting to DOS--i.e. meaning that a USB floppy drive and/or a USB mouse, if you are using one, would not be available in DOS unless the *legacy support* was enabled.

But, I thought Windows support for USB would allow for access though the Windows interface--but apparently that's not the case based on what you have reported.

And, the highlighted statement above now has more *meaning*!  When *legacy support* was enabled, the BIOS was attempting to be *in control* of the USB controller--so, if the Ghost boot disk was loading a DOS USB driver as well that wanted to control the USB controller--then there would likely be a conflict between *warring* software wanting to control the same hardware--thus preventing the external USB HDD from being assigned the drive letter!

Quote:
There's one problem with the creation of the boot diskettes. Ghost tells me only 1 diskette is needed.

Well, turns out that's *my bad*!  I need to be more careful in assuming I can actually *remember* stuff like this!!!  I need to actually try the same steps and setup to *refresh* my memory!!!

I've been using mostly MS-DOS for Ghost for quite some time.  I have occasionally used PC-DOS for testing purposes--but not routinely.  So, just before posting this, I used the Ghost Boot Wizard to create a boot floppy using PC-DOS with USB 2.0 support--and indeed, it requires only a single floppy disk!  Apparently PC-DOS boot files are just small enough that a second floppy is not needed!

So, this is what I *should* have asked you to do a long time ago--let's confirm what's actually on that original boot floppy disk that you made on your other system that had everything updated at the time:

Using *Notepad* or *Wordpad*, open the *config.sys* file that's on the floppy boot disk--copy and paste the content of the *config.sys* file to your response here.  Then open the *autoexec.bat* file--copy and paste it here as well.  Let's see what's actually being loaded by those boot files!

Also...did you actually attempt to boot from the boot floppy disk using the external USB floppy drive and with the *legacy support* enabled--what were the results?  When the USB DOS driver is being loaded--do you loose access to the floppy drive, and/or does the system freeze--or can the boot process go to completion?  (Also, note if the external HDD is seen and given a drive letter--I think you have already answered that question above when you said you had to *disable* *legacy support* in order for the external USB HDD to be assigned a drive letter--but just want to confirm the results!)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print