Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
external (desktop) hard drive (Read 49699 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: external (desktop) hard drive
Reply #60 - Nov 15th, 2009 at 2:56pm

@
blackeagle

Quote:
I must actually print your messages so that I can read and eventually understand.

That's your choice--it's *good* DOS information--but, you will not have to fully *understand* it--I'm going to be listing the step-by-step *cook book* steps that you can probably mostly *cut and paste* to get a much better boot disk and eventually disc!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #61 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 6:20am

Hi NightOwl,
                I had time to finally print the posts and read them. Hopefully, this information will also be useful to anyone who might have similar problems like I'm having with an external HDD.

Yes, we can go ahead in creating "a better boot disk".

Thanks for your kind patience...

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #62 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 12:24pm

@
blackeagle

blackeagle

Sorry I've been gone for the last week--had a number of unexpected *life issues* intervene--but, I'm back now!

So, lets create some MS-DOS based boot floppy disks that we can use to create bootable optical discs to use on your laptop, and see if we can find a combination of boot files that will work!

My plan is to create 3 different boot disks to test different possible problem areas:

#1.  This will be a basic boot disk using MS-DOS system boot files instead of the Ghost PC-DOS system files.  It will include Ghost's Iomega DOS drivers (*aspiehci.sys* and *guest.exe*) that access external mass storage devices and assign a DOS drive letter (if everything works compatibly and the way they're supposed to!).

#2.  Will be the same as #1, but we will add the DOS memory manager *himem.sys* to see if that has any effect on being able to successfully load the Iomega USB DOS drivers plus Ghost.

#3.  We will abandon Ghost's Iomega DOS USB drivers and switch over to the Panasonic DOS USB drivers to see if they have the ability to work with your newer, larger external USB HDD.

Before I continue, I made the following statement in my reply #53:

Quote:
This change *should* change the Ghost Boot Wizard's behavior so that you will now create a two floppy boot disk set.  And, you will probably get a message the *mouse.com* will not be included and you will not have mouse capabilities when you boot from this boot set.  We will make adjustments to the boot files so we can create a bootable optical disc, and we will add back the *mouse* program.

Apparently that only occurs when the Boot Wizard is creating a single boot floppy.  When it switches to the two floppy boot set, it no longer has to squeeze the boot files into a small space, so it does include *mouse.exe* in the two floppy boot set!

So, here's the contents of the first boot disk created by the Ghost Boot Wizard using MS-DOS:

Quote:
GHOST  (directory--empty)
USB       (directory with Iomega DOS USB driver*aspiehci.sys* )
AUTOEXEC.BAT
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
guest.exe
IO.SYS
MOUSE.COM
MSDOS.SYS

We will not delete any of these files, but we will make the following changes:

(It's best to use the Windows *Notepad* program if creating or modifying any text based files. Notepad does not have the ability to add any *hidden* formatting characters that some other *word processing* programs might!)

A:  Add the following files to the floppy disk:

#1:  So, open *Notepad*.  You should be at a *blank* page to begin a *New* document.  Copy and paste the following text to that blank page:

Quote:
[mouse]
MouseType=PS2

Now, with your boot floppy disk #1 in the floppy drive, select the menu item *File* and *Save as...*.  In the *Save as* dialog box, navigate to your floppy drive and in the *File name:* line in the bottom part of the dialog box type:

Quote:
mouse.ini

And then press the *Save* button.  (Make sure the *.txt was not included in the saved file name.)

The reason we're doing this is that the *mouse.exe* program included by the Ghost Boot Wizard requires that it be able to write a *.ini* file to the directory where the *mouse.exe* program is loaded from.  Because we are going to be transferring this boot disk to a bootable optical disc which will create a *virtual floppy drive* that is *read-only*, the *mouse.exe* will not be able to create and save that *.ini* file to the *virtual floppy drive*.  But, if the *mouse.exe* finds a *mouse.ini* file already in that directory, then it bypasses the need to create the file and write it to that directory.  And, thus we avoid the DOS load error of not being able to access the floppy drive (I think you've seen that error before in some of the other tests!)

#2:  Add the *OAKCDROM.SYS* and *mscdex.exe* files to the floppy disk:

Because we can not fit the boot files and the *ghost.exe* of a two floppy boot disk set into the standard sized boot sector of a bootable optical disc (1.44 MB), we need to be able to access the data portion of the optical disc.  That's where we will be putting the *ghost.exe* program.  So, we will need to add those DOS files to the boot disk.      

If you installed the Windows Ghost to the default directories, you should be able to find the *oakcdrom.sys* and *mscdex.exe* files in the following location:

Quote:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\common\

Copy and paste each of those program files from that location to your floppy disk.

So, your final file list on the floppy drive should look like this:

Quote:
GHOST  (directory--empty)
USB       (directory with Iomega DOS USB driver*aspiehci.sys* )
AUTOEXEC.BAT
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
guest.exe
IO.SYS
MOUSE.COM
MOUSE.INI
MSCDEX.EXE
MSDOS.SYS
OAKCDROM.SYS

Next, we're going to change the boot files *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* to load what we need for the two disk set to work using a bootable optical disk.  I will separate those steps into the next post.

If there's any questions or problems along the way, be sure to ask.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #63 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 10:03pm

@
blackeagle

Well, another one of those *unexpected life issues* intervened!  Just after I posted the previous post, the power went out--for about two hours!  And all my *free* time was used up--had to attend to some other stuff.

So, ....

B:  Editing the DOS boot files--*config.sys* and *autoexec.bat*:

1.  [config.sys] edits:

Using Notepad, open the *config.sys* file that's on the first floppy boot disk that was created by the Boot Wizard with MS-DOS files on it.  It should have the following:

Quote:
[menu]
menuitem=FROMFLPY, This computer was started from a Ghost boot disk
menuitem=FROMCD, This computer was started from a Ghost bootable CD

[FROMFLPY]

[FROMCD]

[COMMON]

DEVICE = usb\aspiehci.sys /int /all
LASTDRIVE = Z

Select the highlighted lines with the strike-through and delete that information.

Add the following line at the top of the file (copy it from here, and paste it to the Notepad *config.sys* file:

Quote:
device=oakcdrom.sys /

So, it should look like this:

Quote:
device=oakcdrom.sys /d:NightOwl
DEVICE = usb\aspiehci.sys /int /all
LASTDRIVE = Z

Now, go to the Notepad *File* menu item, select *Save As...*--make sure the destination is the floppy disk, and that the name is still *config.sys*.  Select the *Save* button, and confirm that you want to over-write the existing file on the floppy drive by the same name.

2.  [autoexec.bat] edits:

Now, open the *autoexec.bat* file from the floppy disk using Notepad again.  It should look like this:

Quote:
@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+08:00
GUEST.EXE
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
cls

if %config% == FROMFLPY goto FLPYBOOT
if %config% == FROMCD goto CDBOOT

goto FAILED

:FLPYBOOT
echo Insert Ghost boot disk 2 (containing Ghost.exe)
pause
if exist a:\ghost\ghost.exe goto GHOSTFND
goto FLPYBOOT

:CDBOOT
echo Insert Ghost boot disk 2 (containing Ghost.exe)
pause
if not exist b:\ghost\ghost.exe goto CDBOOT
b:
goto GHOSTFND

:GHOSTFND
cd \ghost
echo Loading...
GHOST.EXE
goto END

:FAILED
echo Unknown boot menu selection
goto END

:END

Select the highlighted text as indicated above with the strike-through and delete it.

Now, add the following lines below the remaining text:

Quote:
mscdex.exe /d:NightOwl /l:x /m:16 /v
x:
ghost.exe

So the final file should look like this:

Quote:
@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+08:00
GUEST.EXE
MOUSE.COM
x:
ghost.exe

It looks like you need to change the *SET TZ=GHO+08:00* to *SET TZ=GHO-01:00* if Sweden is one hour before Greenwich mean time--so like this:

Quote:
@echo off
SET TZ=GHO-01:00
GUEST.EXE
MOUSE.COM
x:
ghost.exe

You could simply select the above text, copy it and then paste it to the *autoexec.bat* file--make sure you do not duplicate the top four lines--if you do it this way, simply select all the lines in the original *autoexec.bat* file, delete that text, and then copy and paste the above into the now *empty* file.

Now, select the *File* menu item, select *Save As ...* and again make sure the destination is the floppy drive and the file name is still *autoexec.bat*.  Again let Notepad over-write the existing *autoexec.bat* file on the floppy drive.

I'll put it all togther in the next post.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #64 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 1:56am

@
blackeagle

So, now we should be ready to make the test bootable optical disc.

We will need to have access the *ghost.exe* build 793 form your HDD.  So, if it's not there already (did you replace the *ghost.exe* from your *old boot floppy* with the *ghost.exe* that was installed when you installed the Windows Ghost program?--then you can simply access that file there.), you will need to put the floppy disk in, make a copy of the *ghost.exe* from that old boot floppy and save it to the Desktop or wherever you wish.

Now make sure the boot floppy we just edited is in the floppy drive.  Open your Roxio program and select the necessary procedure to create a bootable optical disc.  You want to select *Floppy disk emulation*, and point to the floppy disk in the floppy drive.  After the Roxio program has read the boot floppy into its interface, there should be two files listed in the lower half of the Roxio screen.  Mine were:

Quote:
bootcat.bin
bootimg.bin

Now go to the upper half of the Roxio screen where the *source* files are listed.  Find your *ghost.exe* and highlight it.  Press the *Add* button or *Down arrow* and *ghost.exe* should now be listed along with the above two files:

Quote:
bootcat.bin
bootimg.bin
ghost.exe

That indicates that the *ghost.exe* file will be placed in the data area of the optical disc.

You should now be ready to hit the *Record* button to create the bootable optical disc.

Once it's created, make sure your USB HDD is hooked up and on, reboot your system and boot from the optical disc you just created.  Hit the F8 button as soon as the system begins to access the optical disc for booting so you can select the *Step-by-step* confirmation of each command line in the *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* file.

Look especially for the results when you load the *aspiehci.sys*--does it see your external USB HDD?

And then, what response is there when you load *GUEST.EXE*--is a DOS drive letter assigned?

In the

Quote:

command line, I have added the */L:x* switch which tells mscdex.exe to assign the drive letter *X* to the first optical drive.  That drive letter assignment will only be valid when you use this particular boot disc in DOS.  When you re-boot to Windows, it will be whatever the drive letter normally is in Windows again.  If there were additional optical drives on a given system, they would be given the next drive letter *Y*, and if there were a third optical drive, then the DOS letter *Z*.

Results?

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #65 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 9:31am

Hi NightOwl,
                Many thanks for your posts. You don't have to excuse yourself for your absence. You're helping many people regarding Ghost voluntarily and this is to be praised!

I shall print your posts tomorrow and carefully make the boot CD. Then, I shall return back to you with hopefully some interesting results.

Thanks

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #66 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 2:48pm

Hi NightOwl,
                I will come back to you in a few days time. I have a load of things to do these days. I'm sorry for this inconvenience but I'll  get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #67 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 10:48am

@
blackeagle

Quote:
I will come back to you in a few days time. I have a load of things to do these days. I'm sorry for this inconvenience

Not to worry--I'm well aware of having to take a *time out* on occasion  Wink !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print