Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Ghost + Windows 7 Questions! (Read 71689 times)
Bill Mullin
Dude

Tucson, AZ

Ghost + Windows 7 Questions!
Nov 9th, 2009 at 5:33pm

Hello,

I've been using Ghost 12 and an external USB-2 HDD for the last 2.5 years to back up my Vista PC.  Ghost is a terriffic backup program and has saved me many times from losses, usually caused by me!  I've just ordered a new Dell PC with Windows 7.  When I started to order Ghost 14 to go with the new PC, I noticed that there is no mention on Symantec's web page that Ghost 14 supports Win7 PC's.  Does anyone know if it does . . . or if maybe I can keep using my old Ghost 12?  If neither will give me what I need, can anyone recommend a good alternative for a backup program which supports Win7, hopefully using software written for a 64-bit PC??

Sort of on that topic, while I was looking for more information Ghost 14 I came across a thread in which one fellow stated that Symantec no longer sells software, rather they sell 1 year licenses to their products.  In other words, I could buy Ghost 14 now, then a year from now it would stop working until I paid another "gouge" to Symentec.  Is this true or did I just happen to read a thread by someone who didn't know what he was talking about?  FWIW, I should have saved a link to that thread, but unfortunately I didn't.   Sad

Thanks in advance,
Bill

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost + Windows 7 Questions!
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 5:55pm

I'm using Ghost 14 with Windows 7.  It complained some during the install, and I had a few hiccups during the first couple backups, but no error messages now, and my backups verify ok.

Ghost 15 is "supposed" to be released sometime this month, and will be certified for Windows 7.

As far as Symantec no longer selling software, my guess is the thread was talking about Norton AntiVirus or Norton Internet Security.  Those products only work for one year, and you have to renew your subscription to continue.  Not sure if that is a trend with other products.  Even Microsoft has been mentioned as wanting to go to an annual license strategy for Office, so who knows.

There is a cutoff period when you can no longer get (or expect) updates to the software or support.  I'm not sure if Ghost 12 still qualifies for updates and/or tech support or not.  I think you can get free chat-support for Ghost 14, but not Ghost 12; I could be wrong.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Bill Mullin
Dude

Tucson, AZ

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 6:15pm

John - thanks for the information.  I'll watch for Ghost 15, and in the meantime will probably try out some of the other programs out there.  For instance, I've read that Acronis Backup 2010 supports Win7 and is supposed to be a very powerful backup program.  I saw on Amazon that a number of people had rated it, about half raved about it and the other half cursed it.  Oh well, there's a trial version that I can play with before making the decision to get that program or wait for Ghost 15.

The thread I read about yearly license fees stated that ALL Symantec software would start charging yearly for licenses.  If that happens, I predict that people will start taking a look at other products and that will probably be the end of Symentec.  Let's hope that doesn't happen!

- Bill

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 6:21pm

Bill Mullin wrote on Nov 9th, 2009 at 6:15pm:
and in the meantime will probably try out some of the other programs out there. 

Bill,

Have a look at Image for Windows. There is a 30 day trial.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm

IP Logged

Bill Mullin
Dude

Tucson, AZ

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 6:33pm

Brian wrote on Nov 9th, 2009 at 6:21pm:
Have a look at Image for Windows. There is a 30 day trial.

The description doesn't say anything about being able to do scheduled full backups, additionally there is nothing about incremental backups.  Since scheduled full & incremental backups is what I've been doing with Ghost 12, I'd sorta like to not have to change my routines.    Roll Eyes

Thanks, Bill

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 6:51pm

I think IFW is the fanciest backup program around. It does double what the others can do. Scheduled full and differential backups is kids stuff. What about scheduled unattended restores without a boot disk at 3 am? What about restoring images over a wireless network? These examples are something you probably don't want to do but I'm just pointing out features unavailable in other software.

You can image from Windows or a boot disk (floppy, CD or USB flash drive). IFW comes with Image for DOS, Image for Linux and TBOSDT. All produce interchangeable images.

TBOSDT allows you to restore images to different hardware and to create restores that don't need to use boot disks.

IP Logged

Bill Mullin
Dude

Tucson, AZ

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 8:12am

Brian wrote on Nov 9th, 2009 at 6:51pm:
I think IFW is the fanciest backup program around. It does double what the others can do.

You've made a believer of me, I'll definitely give the trial version of IFW a workout before buying Ghost 15!

Thanks, Bill

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 9:47am

@
Brian

Quote:
TBOSDT

Okay---made me look!

*TBOSDT* = TeraByte OS Deployment Tools

Quote:
I think IFW is the fanciest backup program around.

As you probably already know, I don't switch to the newest/greatest software versions just because they're there--I tend to work with an older program until it will not perform what I need it to do! (Same with hardware!!!  My system is vintage 2003'ish!!!  And, of course that's why Ghost 2003 still works so well for me!)

But, when I help friends and family, because Symantec has *abandoned* the retail market with a flexible and updated imaging program that can be DOS based and is compatible with the newer hardware and software available today, I don't have the ability to point them to an available program that is priced at a reasonable level for the average retail user--purchasing a min. of 5 licenses of the Corp version of Ghost is a hard sell, to say the least!

But, TeraByte's imaging software has continued to be developed and has added a lot of new features and capabilities--and the image files being compatible with all its versions (Windows based, DOS based, Linux based), is a giant *plus*!

I've never been happy with Symantec's retail marketing decisions to make their product an either/or choice--either you get Ghost for Windows for the retail masses--and no DOS capabilities--only *hot imaging* from within Windows, or you choose Corp Ghost that has DOS based capabilities.

We may have to create a new imaging tutorial here at Radified that's based on a product that's available *to the masses* for retail purchase/use that has both the *old school* DOS based Ghost abilities--as well as the newer Windows based *hot imaging* features as well--and looks like TeraByte is filling that niche!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 10:49am

Quote:
We may have to create a new imaging tutorial here at Radified that's based on a product that's available *to the masses* for retail purchase/use that has both the *old school* DOS based Ghost abilities--as well as the newer Windows based *hot imaging* features as well

To clarify, the "old school" or "cold" imaging option isn't linked to the use of DOS.  Products like ShadowProtect Desktop provide this capability, using a CD boot disc built on Windows PE.  For newer hardware and/or networked configurations, that's a smart choice because there may not exist DOS-based drivers (e.g., for SAS hard disk drives).

Personally, I don't think I have booted into DOS for about two years, and suspect that the need to do so may never again arise.  I have fond memories of the old DOS days, but they seem so very long ago....

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 12:27pm

@
Pleonasm

Quote:
a product that's available *to the masses* for retail purchase/use that has both the *old school* DOS based Ghost abilities

Yes, my statement specifically references the dreaded *DOS* based OS--but it was really meant to be a more general statement about being able to use an imaging program *in the same fashion* as the DOS based Ghost programs of *the past*!

As you correctly noted--*old school* = *cold imaging* where you do not create the image of your Windows OS as you are running that Windows OS.  What I was really saying is that I personally do not wish to be forced to use *hot* imaging only--the only Symantec option currently available unless you want to go the expensive Corp Ghost route!

As noted, TeraByte has a *linux* based OS for creating *cold* image files--so don't even have to rely on anything MS, DOS or otherwise, in that case!

ShadowProtect Desktop is probably another imaging program to consider--I haven't looked at it's current capabilities and retail pricing recently--current link(s)?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 1:58pm

Ghost 15 is due to be released in the next week or two. It will support cold imaging from the CD. I don't think you will be able to do cold cloning from the CD which is unfortunate. Shadow Protect had a nice cold partition cloning function in ver 3.2 but it was removed in versions 3.3 and onwards. Pleonasm, any idea why it was removed as I don't think a hot cloning function is present?

Bill, you can run IFW in a fairly standard way to create images but some parts of the userguide are heavy going. You don't need to know about the multitude of switches, which most of us will never use. But you will use two or three switches if you run IFW from a command line as this is the fun way to create images. Asking here is an easy way to resolve a problem although TeraByte has a Newsgroup and an impressive series of support web pages and FAQ. TeraByte email support is amazing. An answer usually arrives within an hour.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 10:27pm

According to Amazon, Ghost 15 will be released November 16.

I haven't seen any other ads mentioning release dates yet.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 9:58am

Quote:
ShadowProtect Desktop is probably another imaging program to consider--I haven't looked at it's current capabilities and retail pricing recently--current link(s)?

For more information, please see ShadowProtect Desktop.

Quote:
Shadow Protect had a nice cold partition cloning function in ver 3.2 but it was removed in versions 3.3 and onwards

I didn’t realize that fact, Brian. I have never needed anything other a backup/restore of a partition, so I never missed the absence of a “cloning” option.

Quote:
According to Amazon, Ghost 15 will be released November 16.

John, I’m looking forward to seeing what enhancements Symantec has added!

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 2:27pm

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 3:13pm

Bill,

Another plus for IFW. It is licensed for use on three computers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print