Send Topic Print
Driver search (Read 31074 times)
Night0wlFanBoy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Driver search
Jan 26th, 2010 at 9:44am

Hey folks,

I've created a bootable DVD using NightOwl's guide, but the stock drivers (linked in the guide) are not compatible with the optical drive I have, nor are some of the other drivers I've seen listed on this forum.

Specifically, while loading the Config.sys file, after processing this line
Quote:
DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:NIGHTOWL

It gives me this message, which I presume to mean that the drivers aren't compatible...
Quote:
No drives found, aborting installation

If I am correct, and this is a driver issue, then I'd like some help from you lovely people in my search for compatible drivers for my optical drive (I'm about 5 coasters into this project, so I figured I'd try to stop the bleeding).

The drive in question is a TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-U633A which I have installed in my Dell E4300. If i'm honest, I'm having a hard time even getting the specs for the drive in my searches. Mostly I just come up with links to forums where people are complaining about this drive's ability (or lack thereof) to read certain dual-layer disks, which admittedly is a bit disconcerting as that is exactly what I'm using for this bootable DVD.

At any rate, thanks in advance for your help.

Night0wlFanBoy

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Driver search
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 10:59am

@
Night0wlFanBoy

Quote:
The drive in question is a TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-U633A which I have installed in my Dell E4300

That appears to be a SATA optical drive:  TSST TS-U633A 9.5mm Tray SATA DVDRW

The *DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:NIGHTOWL* driver if for PATA optical drives.

Quote:
Radified Forum Member *ben_mott* posted this information about a new DOS driver that works with the newer SATA optical drives.  *ben_mott* makes the statement that the SATA driver is backward compatible with IDE optical drives (I think this is meant to refer to PATA optical drives--but the term IDE appears to be used in conjunction with both SATA and PATA--but, from other posts I've seen, the *gcdrom.sys* only mounts SATA optical drives--you would have to load the PATA optical DOS drivers as well if you have both on a given system and want both to be available in DOS).  (Note--older source links for downloading appear to no longer work--below is a current *good* link:

Ghost 7.5 SATA CD-ROM

Download *gcdrom.sys* here--v2.3 and v2.4 available!

Some additional resources:

GCDROM for DOS command line syntax

SATA optical drive & Ghost 2002 report

So, you need to add that DOS SATA optical drive driver--*gcdrom.sys* to the boot files included with the other boot files, and add these SATA optical drive driver command lines to the boot files:

[to config.sys--after the *DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:NIGHTOWL* command line]

Quote:
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM000 /C0
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM001 /C1
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM002 /C2

You need to load all three lines because they tell the driver to look on SATA controller #1 (C0), SATA controller #2 (C1), and SATA controller #3 (C2)--for some reason the driver doesn't automatically check all the possible SATA controllers unless it's manually specified!

And you would replace the line *mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v* in autoexe.bat with:

[to autoexec.bat]

Quote:
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /D:CDROM000 /D:CDROM001 /D:CDROM002 /l:x /m:16 /v

You can leave the *OAKCDROM.SYS* driver command line in config.sys, and the reference to the *device--i.e. */d:nightowl* in the mscdex.exe command line in autoexec.bat--you will simply get the *device not found* error message if you do not have a PATA optical drive.

And, you will get a load error for each SATA controller where there is no SATA optical drive present as well--all normal behavior!

This DOS SATA optical drive driver will give you the ability to access files on an optical disc--but, writing an image to an optical disc can only occur if Ghost's built-in optical drive drivers are compatible with your optical drive--this would be noted in DOS Ghost by showing your optical drive listed after the *@* symbol in the destination drop down menu list--if it's not listed, then Ghost can not write to that optical drive.

Let us know if this helps!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 11:32am

@
Night0wlFanBoy

In addition to the above....!

If you are using my Guide and following the Step-by-Step Instructions, then probably you will exceed the 1.44 MB maximum size for the boot file sector using the default settings as outlined in the Guide.

You have 2 possible options:

1.  Remove the *ghost.exe* file from the list of boot files to include in the boot sector.  Instead, place the *ghost.exe* in the root directory of the data portion of the optical disc just before burning the boot disc.  If the SATA DOS drivers load successfully and mounts the SATA optical drive, you will have access to the *ghost.exe* file on the *X:\* SATA optical drive (unless you also have a PATA optical drive connected, then the SATA optical drive will probably be the *Y:\* optical drive).

2.  Or, you can use WinImage to create a 2.88 MB boot sector instead of the 1.44 MB.  And, your optical disc authoring program will need to support creating a 2.88 MB optical disc boot sector--not all disc authoring programs offer that ability!  This option will make Ghost 2003 unable to create a bootable optical disc if writing an image to an optical disc because Ghost 2003 only *understands* a 1.44 MB boot sector--and Ghost 2003 has to use the boot files on the initial bootable optical disc to create another bootable disk--and it will not be able to read the whole 2.88 MB boot sector!  But as I said in the previous post, it's unlikely that a SATA optical drive will be supported by Ghost's built-in optical drive driver, so writing to optical disc is probably not an option anyway!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Night0wlFanBoy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 4:30pm

Thanks very much, I'll give those other drivers a shot tommorow and let you know how it goes.

Also, in reference to your second post, I have been putting the ghost.exe on the root directory for all of my projects, as the version of ghost that I'm using has a 1MB executable which, after adding the size of all the other files in the standard project, puts the image it over the 1.44MB limit. I did try the 2.88 initially in hopes of circumventing the problem, but as you mentioned, it wasn't recognized correctly and that avenue was blocked.

IP Logged

Night0wlFanBoy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 8:09am

Well unfortunately it still isn't recognizing the device drivers for my DVD drive.

Could anyone remind me what the command is to run things line by line? So that after every step, you'll get prompted to confirm before it continues.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 8:57am

@
Night0wlFanBoy

Quote:
Could anyone remind me what the command is to run things line by line? So that after every step, you'll get prompted to confirm before it continues.

Sure....press F8 as soon as the system begins to load DOS--I usually press it several times to make sure the system *see* the key stoke--but, it's probably more a matter of timing things *just right*--if it doesn't bring up the menu to select *step-by-step* confirmation--just do a *control-alt-delete* and try again!

IP Logged

Night0wlFanBoy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 10:04am

Well I'm still getting this driver error, unfortunately.

After it processes the line...
Code:
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000 /C0 

I'm getting the output...
Quote:
GCDROM DOS DRIVER V2.4 2-6-2007
Driver name is "MSCD000".
No CD-ROM drive to use;GCDROM not loaded!

Is it possible that the GCDROM drivers only work with CD drives? I initially thought I might have the boot image setup incorrectly, or that perhaps I was missing some of the files required to use my DVD drive, but with my last attempt I included every single file that came with the gcdrom package in the image, and still no luck.

I wish I knew more about DOS and device drivers so that I could make a more educated guess as to whats going wrong. Is it possible that the problem i'm experiencing could be the result of something other than incompatible drivers?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 10:27am

@
Night0wlFanBoy

Quote:

How new is your system?  Notice how *old* the gcdrom driver is!  It's entirely possible that a newer breed of optical drives are not being supported by the older driver!

Any chance your system has more than 3 SATA controllers--might have to add an additional line: 

Quote:
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM000 /C0
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM001 /C1
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM002 /C2
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM003 /C3

You did add all those lines--you need one for each potential SATA controller that the optical drive is hooked up to?

I presume you got error messages for each line during loading?!

But, something seems wrong!

Quote:

That driver name (MSCD000) is in reference to the PATA optical DOS driver used by the Microsoft boot disks.  I changed that to */D:NIGHTOWL* as outlined in the Bootable CD/DVD Guide!  So, unless you changed it in your config.sys....

Quote:

Ah...okay, I see you did use the command line differently in your *config.sys*.

Post the *autoexec.bat* and *config.sys* files you are attempting to use so we can look them over for syntax errors.

I'm probably gone for the rest of the day, so won't be able to respond until later.....

IP Logged

Night0wlFanBoy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 11:17am

Quote:
How new is your system?
A couple months old. I'm using a Latitude E4300 (for this particular project), as far as I know its one of Dells newest models.
Quote:
Any chance your system has more than 3 SATA controllers
I wouldn't think so, its a smaller laptop.
Quote:
I presume you got error messages for each line during loading?!
Yep

Autoexec.bat Code:
path=a:\;x:\
mouse.com
MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /D:MSCD001 /D:MSCD002 /l:x /m:16 /v
ghost.exe -sure -clone,MODE=restore,SRC=X:\jenner.GHO,DST=1,SZE1=100P

config.sys Code:
device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
lastdrive=z
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /C1
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD002 /C2

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look at my project, I appreciate it.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 9:47pm

@
Night0wlFanBoy

Well, nothing there to consider an obvious problem!

Darn!  I know SATA started out as a single standard, but now there is SATA I and SATA II--so maybe the newer controllers are not compatible with older driver.

You might put a *rem + space* (remark--so the line is not loaded) in front of this line:  *device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl*  So like this:

Quote:
rem device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl

Or, say *No* to that load line during the *step-by-step* loading process if you are using that--just to make sure that driver is not causing a problem during DOS boot--driver load order or driver conflict can cause DOS problems--but I really doubt that will help--but, if you don't try, you'll never know!

Also, this line (MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /D:MSCD001 /D:MSCD002 /l:x /m:16 /v) needs to list the */d:nightowl* device name if you want the *oakcdrom.sys* to be functional--so like this:

Quote:
MSCDEX.EXE /d:nightowl /D:MSCD000 /D:MSCD001 /D:MSCD002 /l:x /m:16 /v

Now, theoretically the boot disc will load either/or or both PATA and SATA optical drives if they are present and recognized!

IP Logged

Prozactive
Gnarly

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 11:05am

Change the SATA controller/drive setting from AHCI to IDE/ATA in BIOS. I believe that will solve the problem. There are also other SATA compatible DOS drivers to try if it doesn't. HTH

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 1:39pm

@
Prozactive

Quote:
There are also other SATA compatible DOS drivers to try it if doesn't

Do you have any links to those *other* DOS SATA drivers????

IP Logged

Prozactive
Gnarly

Reply #12 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 10:10pm

UIDE.SYS
http://johnson.tmfc.net/dos/driver.html

XGCDROM.SYS
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/system/xcdrom/xgcdr...

I'm currently testing a custom boot disk using UIDE.SYS and I plan to report some of my findings later. UIDE.SYS is working fine with my CD/DVD drives but I don't have SATA drives to verify it works with them as it's reported to. I'm almost positive switching from AHCI to IDE/ATA in BIOS will solve the OP's problem.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 10:58am

@
Prozactive

Thanks for those links--I checked them out--and unfortunately, I think those drivers may only apply to PATA and not SATA type controllers (unless the SATA controller is set to *look like* a PATA type controller):

For the *xcdrom* driver--from its *Readme.txt* file:

Quote:
XCDROM is a DOS driver for PC system CD-ROM drives.    It is for use on
   "end user" PC systems with normal IDE channels, including 1997 or later
   mainboards using an Intel/VIA/SiS/ALi or other UltraDMA controller chip
   set to "Legacy IDE mode".   XCDROM is NOT for SCSI, Serial-ATA, "Native
   PCI mode" servers, or any "add-on" IDE adapter card offered by Promise,
   SiiG, etc.

For the *UIDE.sys*--from its *Readme.txt* file:

Quote:
UIDE is a DOS "Universal IDE" caching driver.   It intercepts "Int 13h"
   BIOS I-O requests and can cache data for up to 34 BIOS disks, including
   A: and B: diskettes, and including newer hard disks with over 128-GB of
   data.   UIDE accepts 48-bit LBA or 24-bit CHS I-O calls from new or old
   DOS systems.  It uses its own IDE logic for SATA or IDE hard-disks and
   runs up to 10 "Legacy" or "Native PCI" IDE controllers.

and:

UIDE also supports up to 8 CD/DVD drives, including SATA, IDE, or older
   "PIO mode" drives.

Certainly sounds like SATA is supported!!!

But, at the very end, under *Technical Notes*:

Quote:
UIDE handles only "Legacy" or "Native PCI" IDE controllers.   Old "RAID
   only" chipsets (Via VT6420, etc.), port-multiplier chips, and ADMA/AHCI
   chipsets are not currently supported.   To use UIDE, the mainboard BIOS
   must set SATA controllers in "IDE" mode
, not RAID/ADMA/AHCI!   UIDE can
   then handle SATA drives properly, at full speed.    Where no "IDE" BIOS
   setting for SATA is offered, a Sabrent converter card (or similar) will
   allow UIDE to run SATA hard-disks and CD/DVD drives
from the "standard"
   IDE controller channels, at full UltraDMA speeds.

So, only if the SATA is set to run as a PATA device--or, an add-on board is used that converts the SATA to PATA, can the UIDE.sys work with a SATA device!

IP Logged

Prozactive
Gnarly

Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 6:37pm

Please note that the readme.txt file is for XCDROM v.2.2, NOT XGCDROM v.2.4 which is the driver included in the zip file. XGCDROM is reported by MDGx (a very reputable source) to work with SATA drives, as is UIDE. As I said, I don't have SATA so I can't verify that, nor am I familiar with it. However, I don't think it's switching SATA to PATA (as you stated) to change modes from AHCI to IDE. And as long as you can access and read the SATA drive, it really doesn't matter.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print