Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003, Img XP > DVD, INCOMPLETE ?? (Read 96987 times)
Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Re: Ghost 2003, Img XP > DVD, INCOMPLETE ??
Reply #60 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 8:51pm

Brian wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 6:07pm:
While we are on a tangent can you explain what this does...

CD /d %~dp0

I believe that only works in the Windows command interpreter (cmd.exe), so it's technically not a DOS command.

(Aside: Lurkers need to understand the command prompt window in Windows--aka, a "DOS box"--is not DOS at all.  It is a Windows environment running a DOS-like emulator.)

The "%0" is derived from DOS, and is a variable referring to the first parameter on the command line.  In the case of a batch file, that would be the name of the batch file.  Similarly, the variables %1 through %9 refer to the other parameters on the command line.  Thus, in the command "copy  file1  file2", %0 is "copy", %1 is "file1", and %2 is "file2".  In batch files, it's one method by which you can pass variables to the batch file.

The "~dp" are modifiers that mean expand %0 to get its drive and/or full pathname.

For instance, if your batch file is "D:\Me\Desktop\test.bat", %~d0 is "D:", %~p0 is "\Me\Desktop\", and %~dp0 is "D:\Me\Desktop\".

%0 depends on how you call the batch file.  If you use the command "test", %0 is "test".  If you use the command "test.bat", %0 is "test.bat".  If you use "d:\me\desktop\test", %0 is "d:\me\desktop\test".

Lastly, the "/d" takes the place of two commands: switch the working directory, and switch the current drive.  It's the same as having the following commands in your batch file:
    cd %~dp0 (e.g. "cd d:\me\desktop")
    %~d0 (e.g., "d:")

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #61 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 10:57pm

Dan,

That's correct. I was running CD /d %~dp0 in a WinPE. Your explanation has certainly helped me understand why it works. Thanks.

Some time ago I was interested in auto running apps when booted from a WinPE USB flash drive. You never know which drive letter the flash drive will adopt in the WinPE as it depends on the number of your HD partitions. I used Active@ Boot Disk. The Active@ WinPE has a default folder called User_Files (for your own files of course). There is another default folder called BootDisk_Scripts. If you put a batch file in this folder (.cmd extension) it will run when the WinPE loads.

For example, if I wanted A43 to auto run when the WinPE loaded I'd use a batch file containing..

CD /d %~dp0
CD \User_Files\A43
start a43.exe

The following doesn't work because the drive letter shown in the command window remains at X: instead of the drive letter of the flash drive and A43 can't be found ...

CD \User_Files\A43
start a43.exe

But I was really more interested in running auto restores from a flash drive and from WinPE installed on the HD.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #62 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 8:07am

@
NightOwl

wrote Reply #55 - Yesterday at 16:30:34
Quote:
You were talking *apples*, and I was thinking *oranges*! ... It's just the way you worded your response

There you see > my insufficient language skills - call it *crapitude*  Grin

Glad that matter's sorted out now  Smiley 

Reply #57 - Yesterday at 17:02:49
Quote:
you can find all the DOS 6.22 commands at the site:  http://www.vfrazee.com/ms-dos/6.22/help/index.htm MS-DOS v6.22 Help: Command Reference.

Excellent, thanks a lot!

> "tools where you can switch a German keyboard to English":
Quote:
I think there are both DOS tools (drivers) and Windows tools for doing that--if you want to start another topic on how to do that (if it is of any value to you)--I'm sure we can probably walk you through it.

I don't really need that. It's mainly the special caracters which are different. I can handle that   Wink

Quote:
back in the DOS 6.22 days

hmmmm ?
Are you talking about the *real* DOS 6.22 vs MS/PC-DOS 6.22 which I got  Huh

This link may be interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS

@
Dan

As for the DOS/MS-DOS/PC-DOS/ lessons:
Great °stuff°  Smiley

Thanks to Brian's question:
Most interesting, also, the *DOS-box* [Windows command interpreter (cmd.exe)]!!!  Smiley

@
all

> Question Changing topic > this topic

Since I started this thread, the subject line has never changed, although we're on several different *topics*.
Is it possible to change the *subject line* WITHIN a  thread - WITHOUT *losing* the thread ? If so, why are we still working under:
"Ghost 2003, Img XP > DVD, INCOMPLETE ??"

...ooooh, just hope you understand what I mean ...  Roll Eyes

henriette 

The problem's not the computer - the problem sits right in front of it ...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

MS-DOS vs PC-DOS
Reply #63 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 10:57am

@
henriette

henriette wrote on Jun 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
hmmmm ?
Are you talking about the *real* DOS 6.22 vs MS/PC-DOS 6.22 which I got 

MS DOS is DOS supplied by Microsoft.

PC-DOS is DOS supplied by IBM:  IBM PC DOS (full name: The IBM Personal Computer Disk Operating System)

Quote:
The DOS INT 21h function 30h get DOS version returns OEM code 00h for IBM instead of FFh for Microsoft. This is relevant for DOS 7, because various features introduced in MS DOS 7 (a part of Windows 95) are not supported in PC DOS 7, and vice versa, e.g., MS DOS 7 does not support REXX, and PC DOS 7 does not support FAT32

Quote:
PC DOS 7.10

IBM produced PC DOS 7.10 which was based on PC DOS 2000 and added support for LBA and FAT32 partitions. This version of DOS was never released in retail but was used in several IBM products such as the IBM ServerGuide Scripting Toolkit. This version of DOS has also appeared in Norton Ghost from Symantec. Version 7.10 is returned to applications, since this is usually a test for support of FAT32.

Most builds of this version of DOS are limited to the kernel files IBMBIO.COM, IBMDOS.COM and COMMAND.COM. The updated programs FDISK32, FORMAT32 allow one to prepare FAT32 disks.

So, Symantec licensed the use of PC-DOS in Ghost--instead of licensing MS-DOS.  You therefore are using PC-DOS v7.10--not v6.22.

You can add MS-DOS to the Ghost Boot Wizard--one of the wizard's pages has the option for doing this.  All you need is the floppy boot disk for Win98SE OEM.  You can download it from here:  Bootdisk.com--just choose it from the list.  Run the downloaded file with a blank floppy in your drive, and the Win98se boot floppy will be created.  .  Then follow the instructions for adding MS-DOS to the Ghost boot wizard.  And, now you can elect to use one or the other version of DOS in creating a boot disk using the boot wizard.

Quote:
> Question Changing topic > this topic

Since I started this thread, the subject line has never changed, although we're on several different *topics*.
Is it possible to change the *subject line* WITHIN a  thread - WITHOUT *losing* the thread ? If so, why are we still working under:
"Ghost 2003, Img XP > DVD, INCOMPLETE ??"

Yes, on each reply, you can go up to the *Re: Ghost 2003, Img XP > DVD, INCOMPLETE ??* line that is above the two formatting tool lines above the message editing box.--you can make the title whatever you wish.  The thread will not be lost!  (Note--I changed the title for my posting!)

But if you change the title, you might loose track of the thread because it will no longer appear on the main homepage with the original title--it will be listed by the *new* title.  But, if you look in the individual forum page, then the beginning title that you started with will still be the thread title--not the new title.

You can edit your postings for a limited time after posting (3 days)--so you could go back to your first post and change that title line.  But after the time limit, you then can no longer edit or change your posts.  But, any of the Moderators of the forum could edit it for you if there was a need to make a change.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Re: MS-DOS vs PC-DOS
Reply #64 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 7:55am

@
NightOwl

"PC DOS 7 does not support FAT32"

"PC DOS 7.10

IBM produced PC DOS 7.10 which was based on PC DOS 2000 and added support for LBA and FAT32 partitions. This version of DOS was never released in retail but was used in several IBM products such as the IBM ServerGuide Scripting Toolkit. This version of DOS has also appeared in Norton Ghost from Symantec.Version 7.10 is returned to applications, since this is usually a test for support of FAT32."

My
partitions/HDDs
- internal & external are all
NTFS.

I Have 1 (one) 8GB *
usb flash drive
* (stick) that's formatted in
FAT32

Is that the only reason why you recommend me to:
Quote:
add MS-DOS to the Ghost Boot Wizard--one of the wizard's pages has the option for doing this.  All you need is the floppy boot disk for Win98
s
OEM.  You can download it from here: 
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm --just choose it from the list. ......

Did you mean Win98
SE
OEM ???
Typo  Huh

Since everything works fine with Ghost boot disks (floppies) - showing *PC-DOS 7.10* - the only reason I can think of is the possible use of FAT32 formatted flash drive(s). Correct ?

Then again, the
floppies are FAT32
as well - how's that supposed to work (Ghost) ? ... Or is it because "Version 7.10 is returned to applications, since this is usually a test for support of FAT32." ?

I tried to find out what DOS version I really have - to no avail  Sad

How can I find out what version I have, when I don't use Ghost floppies ?

Load of questions again ... I might not quite get the point Roll Eyes

henriette

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #65 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 11:45am

@
henriette

Quote:
Did you mean Win98SEOEM ???

Yes--my bad!  I edited my previous post to correct that!

Quote:
My partitions/HDDs - internal & external are all NTFS.

I Have 1 (one) 8GB *usb flash drive* (stick) that's formatted in FAT32.

Is that the only reason why you recommend me to:
Quote:

Quote:
add MS-DOS to the Ghost Boot Wizard--one of the wizard's pages has the option for doing this.  All you need is the floppy boot disk for Win98sOEM.  You can download it from here: 
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm --just choose it from the list. ......

See how the topic of a thread *wonders*--there's always *another (sometimes *off topic*) question*   Wink  !

I did not mean for my post to say I'm recommending you use MS-DOS.  PC-DOS is perfectly fine (unless you have a particular hardware set up that is not compatible with PC-DOS--some hardware was made that needed specifically MS-DOS to function properly--but I have not seen any reports of that problem!).  I think I read somewhere in the Ghost 2003 User Guide that some systems may require MS-DOS, and that's why Ghost 2003 has the option to add it to the Ghost Wizard.  Symantec just did not want to pay the probably higher cost to license MS-DOS--for a problem that is probably very rare.

Quote:
I tried to find out what DOS version I really have - to no avail   

Not entirely sure what your asking--you said previously:

Quote:
My partitions/HDDs - internal & external are all NTFS

That means you are using NTFS based partitions to store files, and not FAT based partitions to store files!  Don't confuse file systems with OS's.  You are using WinXP OS when you boot to Windows--and that's not DOS!  You are only using DOS when you boot from the DOS floppies--which load DOS (Disk Operating System)--either MS-DOS or PC-DOS--or it could be DR-DOS or Free-DOS--there are a lot of different DOSs out there--as well as many different versions of a given flavor of DOS!

DOS can only see and work with FAT based file systems.  You will not be able to access any NFTS partitions or the files in them using DOS--no drive letters will be assigned to those.  Now, you can load a program like Ghost that has a built-in ability to see NTFS partitions and the files stored on those partitions--and Ghost 2003 can both read from and write to NTFS partitions.  There are also third party drivers that you can load along with the DOS boot files that are able to mount and show the NTFS partitions and files while you are in DOS--many of those are *read only* (free ones)--and that may allow you to copy them to other places.  In the past, only the expensive non-free DOS NTFS drivers could write to the NTFS partitions--there may be free ones now--I haven't looked in a long time.

You can also boot from a HDD that loads DOS from the HDD--it does not have to be DOS boot floppies--and you can load DOS from optical drives also if using a bootable disc.

Now, if you're asking what version of PC-DOS you have on your boot floppies, you can do the following:

In Windows open Notepad. 

Put your first boot floppy of the Ghost boot set in the floppy drive. 

In Notepad, use the *open* menu function--navigate to the A: drive--the list of files should include *IBMDOS.COM* and *IBMBIO.COM*--these are the IBM PC-DOS OS files that are loaded during boot.  Select one of them and that file will open in Notepad.

It will be a lot of gibberish for the most part--computer programing code that is not understood by this mortal man--I bet that Dan Goodell can figure out what it means--but, he's one of the *gods* and not a mere mortal  Smiley !

But, if you scroll down, you will often see readable text inside a file like these.  Here's what I found:

Quote:
IBMDOS.COM

@#IBM:07.15.2002.build_1.19.Y2K,cdboot#@ IBMDOS.COM(USA)

IBMBIO.COM

@#IBM:07.15.2002.build_1.19.Y2K,cdboot#@ IBMBIO.COM(USA)

Sometimes, when booting to DOS--right at the very beginning (you have to watch closely or you may miss it), there will be a brief flash saying what version of the DOS OS is being loaded.  That message usually is coming from this text string that's inside the boot file like what's mentioned above.  But, not all DOS boot files show that information.

You can use Notepad to open all sorts of program files like the above PC-DOS boot files--and you will often find version numbers and other identifying information in plain text along with all that other gibberish data.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #66 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 2:19am

henriette wrote on Jun 23rd, 2012 at 7:55am:
the floppies are FAT32 as well

Floppies are never FAT32.  They are always FAT12.  FAT12 was the original implementation of the FAT ("File Allocation Table") system, and was simply called "FAT".  It only supported up to a couple megabytes, though, so along came FAT16, which supported up to 2GB.  The terms "FAT" and "FAT16" differentiated the two file systems.  To break the 2GB barrier, along came FAT32.  Now, what used to be called "FAT16" is often referred to as simply "FAT", and the original "FAT" has become "FAT12".

Quote:
I tried to find out what DOS version I really have - to no avail.

Did you try the "ver" command at the command line?

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #67 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 7:23am

@
NightOwl

Quote:
"Did you mean Win98SE OEM ???"

Yes, I edited my previous post to correct that!

Quote:
PC-DOS is perfectly fine (unless you have a particular hardware set up that is not compatible with PC-DOS--some hardware was made that needed specifically MS-DOS to function properly--but I have not seen any reports of that problem!).  I think I read somewhere in the Ghost 2003 User Guide that some systems may require MS-DOS

Ghost runs fine as is  Wink

Quote:
you are using NTFS based partitions to store files, and not FAT based partitions to store files!  Don't confuse file systems with OS's. You are using WinXP OS when you boot to Windows--and that's not DOS!  You are only using DOS when you boot from the DOS floppies--which load DOS (Disk Operating System)--either MS-DOS or PC-DOS ...

AH !!! ~~~"I'm beginning to see the light"~~~

Quote:
DOS can only see and work with FAT based file systems.  You will not be able to access any NFTS partitions or the files in them using DOS--no drive letters will be assigned to those.  Now, you can load a program like Ghost that has a built-in ability to see NTFS partitions and the files stored on those partitions--and Ghost 2003 can both read from and write to NTFS partitions.

... like e.g. Ghost explorer --> extracting files ?

Quote:
you're asking what version of PC-DOS you have on your boot floppies

I did as told, here's what I found:

Quote:
*IBMDOS.COM*:
@#IBM:07.15.2002.build_1.19.Y2K,cdboot#@ IBMDOS.COM(USA)

*IBMBIO.COM*:
JBéûý@#IBM:07.15.2002.build_1.19.Y2K,cdboot#@ IBMBIO.COM(USA)   

Quote:
You can use Notepad to open all sorts of program files like the above PC-DOS boot files--and you will often find version numbers and other identifying information in plain text along with all that other gibberish data.

WOW! That's most amazing!
Your instruction on how to use the notepad knocked my socks off, NightOwl, ---> I'm *sockless*, so to speak  Grin

Thank you  Smiley

@
Dan

Quote:
"the floppies are FAT32 as well"

Floppies are never FAT32.  They are always FAT12 ... was simply called "FAT".  It only supported up to a couple megabytes ... To break the 2GB barrier, along came FAT32.  Now, what used to be called "FAT16" is often referred to as simply "FAT", and the original "FAT" has become "FAT12".

Yes, just recalled "FAT" (which I see when formatting  floppies), 1.44MB. Thanks a lot for explaining all detailed  Smiley

Quote:
"How can I find out what version I have, when I don't use Ghost floppies ?"

Did you try the "ver" command at the command line?

Once, yes, but in the *DOS box* - showed only the OS-version Roll Eyes

You mean booting to DOS, don't you ? ... just what kind of floppy or bootable CD should I take to accomplish that ?

henriette   Huh

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #68 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 11:01am

@
henriette

henriette wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 7:23am:
... like e.g. Ghost explorer --> extracting files ?

Not exactly--Ghost Explorer is a Windows only program--so it uses the Windows OS to access files--be they FAT or NTFS.

You mean booting to DOS, don't you ? ... just what kind of floppy or bootable CD should I take to accomplish that ?

Yes, you need to use a DOS boot floppy, DOS bootable optical disc, DOS bootable flashdrive, or DOS installed on your HDD for booting from--just has to be boot media that gets you to a DOS prompt (not a Windows *command* window--which gives you this response:

Quote:
C:\>ver

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
).

Then type:  *ver* at the real DOS prompt.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #69 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 4:44pm

re: "Did you try the "ver" command at the command line?"

Once, yes, but in the *DOS box* - showed only the OS-version

Of course it did.  A "DOS-box" is not DOS.  It's an emulator running in Windows, so the "ver" command is naturally going to show the Windows version.

Quote:

Any DOS-bootable floppy, CD, or flash drive.  Understand that the DOS operating system is installed on the device you are booting from.  For instance, if you boot from a bootable CD, the "ver" command will reveal the version of DOS installed on the CD.  If you boot from a Ghost boot floppy, "ver" will reveal the version of DOS on the Ghost floppy.  It's unlikely your hard drive has DOS installed on it anywhere, but if it did you wouldn't know what version it is unless you boot from the hard drive to DOS.

Of course, not any floppy, CD, or flash drive is bootable.  You have to choose to alter it and make it bootable.  If you choose to do so, you also have to choose what OS to make it boot.  The most common OS's to put on a bootable floppy, CD or flash drive are some version of DOS, linux, or WinPE.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #70 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 8:00am

@
NightOwl

Quote:
Ghost Explorer is a Windows only program--so it uses the Windows OS to access files

Oh yeah, that's right! I'm afraid it'll take some time for me to differentiate between OS and DOS ... as you said:

Quote:
Don't confuse file systems with OS's. You are using WinXP OS when you boot to Windows--and that's not DOS!  You are only using DOS when you boot from the DOS floppies--which load DOS (Disk Operating System)

Quote:
"what kind of floppy or bootable CD should I take to accomplish that ?"

Quote:
you need to use a DOS boot floppy, DOS bootable optical disc, DOS bootable flashdrive, or DOS installed on your HDD for booting from--just has to be boot media that gets you to a DOS prompt - Then type:  *ver* at the real DOS prompt.

Will do so  Wink

@
Dan

Quote:
A "DOS-box" is not DOS.  It's an emulator running in Windows, so the "ver" command is naturally going to show the Windows version.

Quote:
Understand that the DOS operating system is installed on the device you are booting from.  For instance, if you boot from a bootable CD, the "ver" command will reveal the version of DOS installed on the CD.  If you boot from a Ghost boot floppy, "ver" will reveal the version of DOS on the Ghost floppy.  It's unlikely your hard drive has DOS installed on it anywhere, but if it did you wouldn't know what version it is unless you boot from the hard drive to DOS.

Well, well, well,,,,, I've been that naive to think that there's 1 (one) version of DOS on my computer. Dang  Grin

Now I read all the different versions °in combination° with different boot media. Wow!
---> a new area has begun .. for me, and with the excellent help/lessons from both of you, there may be a good chance for me to understand it - little by little. ...

henriette  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #71 - Jun 26th, 2012 at 10:37am

@
henriette

Quote:
I'm afraid it'll take some time for me to differentiate between OS and DOS ...

Just to be clear...DOS is an OS!  DOS only can work with FAT file systems (FAT12, FAT16, FAT32) unless you load a driver or program that can access NTFS file system partitions.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print