Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
reliable backup software for Windows 7 - Ghost 10 ?? (Read 204418 times)
henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Re: reliable backup software for Windows 7 - Ghost 10 ??
Reply #150 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 6:53am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Jul 17th, 2013 at 1:10am:
Yes, you can use IFL on a UFD. When IFL has loaded you can remove the IFL UFD as IFL is running in RAM and no longer requires the flash drive. Then you can plug in your external HD to two USB ports

Great  Smiley
Need only ONE port for the external HD.

UFD = usb 2.0, 8GB, Toshiba.
I ran a test after formatting - no errors.
Write/Read rate = 3.43 MByte/s + 15.5 MByte/s.

Got stuck at the following (I'd guess I had to select):
No Partition - FAT/FAT32 Volume - The entire UFD is configured as one big unpartitioned device. If you were to view a 4 GB UFD created using this option in Windows, you’d see free space beyond the amount used by MakeDisk up to the size of the drive. This free space is available to be used normally. If the UFD is 4GB or smaller, it's formatted as FAT. Otherwise, it's formatted as FAT32. The UFD will no longer be visible as a BIOS hard drive in BootIt BM (if it had been previously).

But what about FAT and FAT32 - will *MakeDisk.exe* format it automatically to FAT32 ?

Then what to select here:
Select the desired Geometry Calculation Method (Default - Use Device  Huh, LBA, Large  Huh, Normal  Huh, or Bit-Shift).
Had selected "Use Device" - didn't work. (see below).

Note: Some systems may require the UFD to be disconnected and reconnected for Windows to properly recognize the changes.

The above may have been the reason why it didn't work on a first try. To make sure I'd better ask.

@
NightOwl

My board = ASUS A7N8X-X

http://www.manualowl.com/p/Asus/a7n8xx/Manual/125397
[another 'owl'  Grin]

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboards_d/ASUS/A7N8X-X/

Hope the links will help.
Can't recall if we discussed it already.

NightOwl wrote on Jul 17th, 2013 at 2:01am:
Most older systems that use PATA controllers, by default, came with two controllers and that allowed for up to 4 IDE devices on a single system.

Think that applies to my board.

I ordered a *HDD IDE cable 80 wire/40 pin for Ultra ATA up to 133Mbps* 'round midnight.
Should be the same I'm using now. Can't hurt to have one in store.
As to Brian I could use a UFD  Wink

henriette 

The problem's not the computer - the problem sits right in front of it ...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #151 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 8:59am

@
henriette

henriette wrote on Jul 17th, 2013 at 6:53am:
Got stuck at the following (I'd guess I had to select):

I choose...

USB Layout
Partition - MBR FAT/FAT32 Partition (Int13h Extensions)

Geometry Calculation Method
Default - Use Device

Then click Finish.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=317

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #152 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 9:24am

@
henriette

Quote:
Quote:
NightOwl wrote on Today at 12:01am:

Most older systems that use PATA controllers, by default, came with two controllers and that allowed for up to 4 IDE devices on a single system.

Think that applies to my board.

Looking at the manual in the link you provided:

Quote:
2 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33

So, looks like there are two controllers.  On page 1-3 there's a picture and page 1-4 this description:

Quote:
IDE Connectors. These dual-channel bus master IDE connectors support up to four Ultra DMA133/100/66, PIO Modes 3 & 4 IDE devices. Both the primary (blue) and secondary (black) connectors are slotted to prevent incorrect insertion of the IDE ribbon cable.

I presume your current setup has a single IDE cable connected to the Blue connector on the motherboard, and the middle connector of the ribbon connected to the optical drive and the end connector connected to the HDD--or you should tell us if it's different.  You may have to set jumpers on the back of the optical drive and/or HDD depending on how things were installed.  In most instances, the device jumpers should be set to *CSEL* (cable select), and the position on the cable determines which device is *master* (end of cable, black colored connector), or *slave* (middle connector, grey colored)--the blue end is connected to the motherboard connector.

The cable connections should be that the optical drive has the black end of the cable connected (master) and that cable routed to the black connector on the motherboard (secondary IDE controller), and the HDD has the black end of the second cable connected (again, master position), and the blue end connected to the blue motherboard connector (primary IDE controller).

Now, you can change the connections of the HDD (on the primary cable)--so you can have it pulled out of the case and connected to a test HDD next to the box-- without interrupting the optical drive's connection (on the secondary cable) which remains connected--and available for booting etc..

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #153 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 12:24pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Jul 17th, 2013 at 8:59am:
USB Layout
Partition - MBR FAT/FAT32 Partition (Int13h Extensions)

Geometry Calculation Method
Default - Use Device

Then click Finish.

Worked excellent! Booted into IFL - everything is fine  Kiss

@
Nightowl

NightOwl wrote on Jul 17th, 2013 at 9:24am:
I presume your current setup has a single IDE cable connected to the Blue connector on the motherboard, and the middle connector of the ribbon connected to the optical drive and the end connector connected to the HDD--or you should tell us if it's different. 

I will tell you the order of the devices from top to bottom (along with the EIDE cable):
Top = floppy drive [separate cable]

CD optical drive
DVD optical Drive
Primary HDD
Secondary HDD (= end of cable = *bottom*  Grin)

You may have to set jumpers on the back of the optical drive and/or HDD depending on how things were installed.In most instances, the device jumpers should be set to *CSEL* (cable select), and the position on the cable determines which device is *master* (end of cable, black colored connector), or *slave* (middle connector, grey colored)--the blue end is connected to the motherboard connector.

Don't ask me what colors ... computer cover is screwed - takes a while to *lift* the heavy Big Tower from its socket, then disconnect all , take cover off, and so on! -> my room is extremely small!

I always set the HDD jumpers to *master* = Primary HDD and *slave* = secondary HDD, as well as CD optical drive = *master* and DVD optical drive = *slave*.
The latter above depends on what optical drive I'm using the most. I've had the CD optical drive as *master* for ages now.

I don't set the jumper to *cable select*.
[We had a discussion about that ... some years ago].

The cable connections should be that the optical drive has the black end of the cable connected (master) and that cable routed to the black connector on the motherboard (secondary IDE controller), and the HDD has the black end of the second cable connected (again, master position), and the blue end connected to the blue motherboard connector (primary IDE controller).

... at least I've connected everything alright.

Now, you can change the connections of the HDD (on the primary cable)--so you can have it pulled out of the case and connected to a test HDD next to the box-- without interrupting the optical drive's connection (on the secondary cable) which remains connected--and available for booting etc.. 

Yes, I will disconnect both HDDs - the length should be just ok.
Have to check again, though.
I could run a DFT ("seatools") on the new Seagate HD after having restored the *Entire Drive Image*.

Thanks for your excellent help, again!  Smiley
henriette

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #154 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 5:02am

Report on Restoring an *Entire Drive Image* to a smaller (unformatted) HDD - using IFL:

While reading THOROUGHLY what we've discussed on here, I detected a MOST IMPORTANT point:
-> "disconnect your network cable during your testing ..." (had failed to notice that).
WOW, so that does the trick  Wink

Then I disconnected both *old* HDs, connected the EIDE cable + power to the new HD and started restoring the latest *Entire Drive Image*.

I used IFL-CD - loads faster than USB-stick (UFD).

1. New HD was recognized in BIOS.

2. An Entire drive restore to a new HD that's a different size from the old HD.....

Restore
Normal
File (Direct)
Linux
select your USB HD.
select the partition
select the folder containing the image
select the image
tick in Entire Drive
Linux
ATA.... (sda) 
leave the tick in Log Results to File
Scale to Fit
Align to Target
put a tick in Validate IMAGE BEFORE RESTORE
put a tick in Validate Byte-for-Byte
First Track Sectors AUTO
Start   

Restoring took 6hrs:20min!
----------------------------------------------------
Partition sizes BEFORE restoring (*old* HD 500GB) - taken from IFL > backup > full backup > information:

C:\[XP]
MiB Used  = 9889
MiB Free  = 5117
MiB to Restore  = 10627

D:\[Music].
MiB Used  = 132347
MiB Free = 287783
MiB to Restore = 210151   

E:\[Emails]
MiB Used  = 1140
MiB Free  = 6854
MiB to Restore  = 4032

F:\[Exes++]
MiB Used  = 6509
MiB Free  = 9493
MiB to Restore  = 8075

G:\[Videos]
MiB Used  = 9371
MiB Free  = 8436
MiB to Restore  = 9892
~~~~~~~~
Partition sizes AFTER restore (new HD 400GB) - taken from IFL > backup > full backup > information:

Entire Drive = 381552 MiB  >>>
[
Brian
> 400/1.024^3= 372.5 > Windows will see that HD as 372.5 GiB.].

C:\[XP] = 15006 MiB

Huh
MBR1 partition (02) 366546 MiB extended
  Huh

D:\[Music] = 331850 MiB

E:\[Emails] = 7993 MiB

F:\[Exes++] = 12637 MiB

G:\[Videos] = 14065 MiB

note: C:\, D:\, E:\ are ok regarding size.

F:\ + G:\ should be ~ 4GB (!) larger when using a 400HD in the future.

Could be redistributed from D:\[Music] partition using *Paragon Partition Manager 9.0 (personal)*.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3. Boot into Windows > ok  Smiley

4. Device Manager > IDE > primary channel: -> "Ultra DMA
- Ultra
" < green check! Not so the other available options.
Uncheck "Let BIOS select transfer".

! present HD (WD) = "Ultra DMA
- Ultra
" !!!     HOW COME ???

CD/DVD: secondary channel: -> IS "Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra 33".   

5. Disk Management: XP 14.65GB|Music 324.07GB|Emails 7.81GB|Exes 12.34GB|Videos 13.74GB

6. Clean System (CC etc.) ,,, defragment (Raxco Perfect Disc Pro).

7. Seatools CD > DST [Should have done that before restoring] > "Short Test" > "Successful - no errors.

8. Turn computer off (power down).

1 hour later I re-connected the *old* hardware. Everything runs fine  Wink

Thanks to you, guys, for your patience with me.
I'd never be able to accomplish that without your support.

Thanks also to DONALD (my computer) for doing a good job  Grin

henriette  Kiss

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #155 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 4:11pm

@
henriette

Nice work. You are now prepared if there is a real HD failure.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #156 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 10:20am

@
henriette

Congradulations!  Looks like you're in a good place.  You should now feel confident that you can do this going forward.

henriette wrote on Jul 16th, 2013 at 3:06pm:
It just dawned on me:

1. I can't possibly disconnect the CD optical drive because I NEED it for IFL!!

I guess I misunderstood this comment.  I thought you were saying you *had to* disconnect the optical drive in order to connect a temporary test HDD to the PATA com cable.  But, ....

henriette wrote on Jul 17th, 2013 at 12:24pm:
I will tell you the order of the devices from top to bottom (along with the EIDE cable):
Top = floppy drive [separate cable]

CD optical drive
DVD optical Drive
Primary HDD
Secondary HDD (= end of cable = *bottom*)

It looks like the optical drives are on a separate PATA com cable from the HDDs.  For the record, I recomend disconnecting the Secondary HDD, as well as the Primary when testing in order to make sure I don't accidentally select the wrong HDD.  Only leave the Secondary hooked up if it is the HDD with the image file that's being used for restoring to the Primary

henriette wrote on Jul 17th, 2013 at 12:24pm:
I always set the HDD jumpers to *master* = Primary HDD and *slave* = secondary HDD, as well as CD optical drive = *master* and DVD optical drive = *slave*.
The latter above depends on what optical drive I'm using the most. I've had the CD optical drive as *master* for ages now.

I don't set the jumper to *cable select*.
[We had a discussion about that ... some years ago].

I vaguely remember that.  At least once, someone posted here that their system's BIOS was having problems when using jumpers to specify master and slave, and using cable select solved the problem.  It could also be that that person had somehow mixed and matched cable select with wrong jumper settings.  One never knows for sure when you can not look at the actual jumper settings, etc..

henriette wrote on Jul 20th, 2013 at 5:02am:

Boy--that's a long time!  Using USB with Ghost also takes a long time--so restoring an image of a large amount of data to a new HDD obviously takes that long!

4. Device Manager > IDE > primary channel: -> "Ultra DMA 5- Ultra 100" < green check! Not so the other available options.
Uncheck "Let BIOS select transfer".

! present HD (WD) = "Ultra DMA 6- Ultra 133" !!! HOW COME ???

So, your 500 GB HDD is the Ultra 133, and your 400 GB HDD is the Ultra 100?  Maybe the two HDDs have that difference in speed capability.  Post make and model for each HDD so we can look up the specifications.

CD/DVD: secondary channel: -> IS "Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra 33". 

Older CD/DVD drives--that's probably the fastest they can transfer data--again make and model and we could look up the specifications.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #157 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 6:45am

@
NightOwl

Looking at the threads on this forum, seems this is the longest thread ever  Grin

NightOwl wrote on Jul 21st, 2013 at 10:20am:
Congradulations!

If the *d* goes together with "graDes" in school ...
I'd rather think that was a typo. Anyway, I feel flattered   Smiley

I thought you were saying you *had to* disconnect the optical drive in order to connect a temporary test HDD to the PATA com cable.But, ....

I had taken that into consideration ... 

It looks like the optical drives are on a separate PATA com cable from the HDDs

Correct.

I recommend disconnecting the Secondary HDD, as well as the Primary when testing ...

That's what I did and always will do, unless I'd use the secondary HDD as *source* of an image.

Boy--that's a long time!

Partition D:\[Music] is large - 325GB !!!

IFL validates twice: Before restore [bit-by-bit] - (1h:50min!) AND after [bit-by-bit] (prob. same 1h:50min).
So just that partition takes 3h:40min for *being* validated.

For safety reasons I did NOT uncheck *validate bit-by-bit BEFORE restore*. You never know what's *happening* to the image-data!

When I installed W2K (long time ago) to a new WD HD, Windows *grabbed* the whole disk as ONE partition C:\ - although I had given a size for C:\, which, apparently, wasn't accepted  Angry

I then used a WD tool to re-format & partition the HDD.
Installed W2K on C:\ then copied the data of the other partitions to the drive - partition by partition.

Post make and model for each HDD so we can look up the specifications.

>>> from "manualOWL" - one of your relatives - lol ? Great site for manuals etc.!!!

1. WD5000AAKB:
http://www.manualowl.com/p/Western%20Digital/WD5000AAKB/Manual/15528

2. Seagate ST3400620A:
http://www.manualowl.com/p/Seagate/ST3400620A/Manual/49267

For me the specs read both ATA100  Huh

Seagate:
After I had (eventually!) found & purchased the obviously last two E-IDE/PATA HDDs availble (!) on the entire German online-market, I tried to register the HDs on Seagate homepage. No way!
Phoning the support: "I really wonder who sold them to you, since the HDs were NOT meant for sale. No warranty is given". Roll Eyes

I was given a 3 year *implied warranty* by the online shop (confirmation via email), though. 

CD/DVD:
make and model and we could look up the specifications.

Don't bother, that's ok  Wink

henriette

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #158 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 8:38am

@
henriette

Quote:
I'd rather think that was a typo.

Hmmm...ya--spell checker wasn't working when I posted  Embarrassed !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print